ATM Machines

Hot2Travel

ATMs are widely available here in the UK. All use a 4-digit numeric PIN (think this is slightly different from the US). Maximum daily withdrawal is usually about £250 (may vary from bank to bank). Only one maximum withdrawal per day. There will be a charge made so it is worth checking with your bank to see if they are affiliated to any of the UK banks.

ATMs are always found at banks and several other places on a typical UK High Street (main shopping area). Be wary though of ATMs in small shops and bars or hotels as these usually have charges for UK customers so I would expect (but don't know for certain) that you would be charged the UK charge PLUS the "foreign currency" charge.

I think the daily maximum may be up to your financial provider (bank.) You should probably ask them.

I'm surprised about the 4-digit PIN, I thought I used a 5-digit one in the UK last summer, but maybe I'm wrong. I usually switch to a 4-digit for parts of Europe, but didn't think it was necessary in the UK. But I'm betting Globaliser will tell us!

This is my second post in this thread - the first seems to have disappeared into cyber space so if it suddenly appears as a second post you will know why. The pin is definately FOUR digits. You may not be aware that you now need this for any transaction you make not just for withdrawing cash. This includes purchases in hotels, restaurants, stores etc. You now longer sign a receipt but enter your pin number into a terminal before your purchase can be completed. If you don't know your PIN then you can't use the card but then neither can anyone else.

The amount you can take out is set by your local bank, you might want to have your limits raised before your trip. You do need a 4-digit pin number, and make sure you tell your bank - credit card company that you will be out of the country or they might flag your account for fraud. That happened to me and they left a nice message on my voice mail at home. It took several attempts to clear it up and have them re-activate my card.

You may not be aware that you now need this for any transaction you make not just for withdrawing cash. This includes purchases in hotels, restaurants, stores etc. You now longer sign a receipt but enter your pin number into a terminal before your purchase can be completed. If you don't know your PIN then you can't use the card but then neither can anyone else.
This is largely true for UK cards but not for overseas cards. Many overseas cards do not work with the UK chip and PIN system. Usually this is because they don't have a chip. Signature verification is perfectly acceptable for these cards.

As sandancer says, UK cards conventionally have a 4-digit PIN. But I have no experience of trying to use an overseas card that has a longer PIN, so I don't know whether they will work.

Another question. Are ATM machines readily available throughout the British Isles?

Yes, and we even have mobile phone service and Internet now! ;) :D

I was waiting for this answer! Laughing quite uproariously here.

Hot2Travel: Don't be too disappointed. After all, you will still find hot water bottles, tea cosies, and warm beer. Someone may even call you "Duckie."

On a practical note: Your own bank may add a fee to your statement for each transaction. However, many of the larger U.S. banks have reciprocal agreements with one or another of the U.K. banks, whereby you can withdraw money from the ATMs of a particular British bank without incurring a service fee. For example, Bank of America has such an agreement with Barclays.

Before you leave home, ask your bank if they have such a liaison with a British bank. If so, use only that particular bank. Barclays, Lloyds, and HSBC are the three largest banks in England; all three have branches (and ATMs!) in just about every town you're likely to visit.

FWIW, I also enjoy calling in at branches of the Royal Bank of Scotland just to chat with the delightful female tellers.;)

Has anyone used a 6 number ATM card in Europe?

My bank recently changed hands; I was issued a new ATM card that requires 6 digits, as opposed to my old card that required 4 digits.

I called the new bank and asked how I can use a 6 digit card in the 4-digit world that is Europe. The answer: when using said Europe ATM machine, type in first 4 digits, hit enter, and continue as normal.

At some point, the banker said, the ATM will exhibit a screen stating 'more information needed' or something similiar. It is at this point you will be prompted to type all 6 digits, and you will get your money.

Has anyone actually done this? We are off to Switzerland in March 2007, and I would like to hear from someone who has actually performed this feat.

Hot2Travel: One more thing--very important: Before leaving home, be sure to notify your bank that you will travelling abroad & using your ATM card to make withdrawals while you are away. Tell them the dates you'll be away, & the countries where you'll be travelling. To prevent fraud & identity theft, many U.S. banks now flag unusual transactions & may even freeze your account if they notice such transactions.

Calmac: I always enjoy chatting with a Scottish lass. The lassies I've had the good fortune to encounter behind the window at RBS branches have been especially friendly, in my experience.;) (Far more so than those who work in banks in my home state in the U.S., I assure you!) BTW, does "Calmac" refer to Caledonian MacBrayne? I've had the pleasure, on several occasions, of travelling to the Western Isles on their good ferries.:) But never, alas, with a Scottish lass.

Calmac: I always enjoy chatting with a Scottish lass. The lassies I've had the good fortune to encounter behind the window at RBS branches have been especially friendly, in my experience.;) (Far more so than those who work in banks in my home state in the U.S., I assure you!) BTW, does "Calmac" refer to Caledonian MacBrayne? I've had the pleasure, on several occasions, of travelling to the Western Isles on their good ferries.:) But never, alas, with a Scottish lass.

No complaints about the Scottish lassies - but there's also the Bank of Scotland, not just RBS!

Calmac is a play on the ferry company - first 3 letters of our son's name and first 3 letters of our surname - needless to say not many people who post on CC "get" the pun!

We've used Barclays Bank while in London. They have ATMs at quite a few tube stations, I believe. At least that's where we found them.

They partner with Bank of America in the U.S., so if you open an account with BofA, there's no out of system ATM fee charged when you use Barclays. We used them several times during out pre-cruise stay. Got small amounts of cash since we didn't want to convert over to Euros after converting to GBP. We just left our extra money for the maid in the hotel. She got a nifty tip, because you can't really judge how much cash you'll need. We try to use our Visa whenever possible to avoid leftover cash.

And, YES, notify your bank before you go. I traveled with someone in the Caribbean once that spent several ports calling her bank to get them to unblock her Visa!!

can post some info for Cdn's went to the bank Friday.

Visa might be better than MasterCard for availability. Visa limit is what you have at home.

Debit bank card, must have a four pin number and no more. You will only be able to access your chequeing not a savings.

Upgrade your Visa card to a better one (yes, you will have to pay more)

Your service all round may be hit and miss. Don't give up, just keep trying.

Everyone's thoughts are out on the use of travellers cheques, some say take others say don't bother there's tons of machines to be used everywhere that is port specific on a cruise.

Preordering of Euros' approx 1 day service. Most banks carry a few daily, but for any large amounts or bill specific you should preorder.

Archived