New port of call for us

Keith Rita

[B]Our New Years Zaandam cruise includes a day at Catalina Island, Dominican Republican. Any information on this port from one of you knowledgeable cruisers would be welcomed.[/B] :) :)

[quote name='Keith Rita'][b]Our New Years Zaandam cruise includes a day at Catalina Island, Dominican Republican. Any information on this port from one of you knowledgeable cruisers would be welcomed.[/b] :) :)[/QUOTE]
The only Catalina Island I know of is just off the coast of California and Dominican Republic is in the Caribbean. :confused: If this is the case that is one heck of a cruise you are going on:eek:

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Sounds interesting.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]I was just reading the discription of it in the brochure: "Thanks to a policy of non-development, this isle just off La Romana boasts white sand beaches and still, reef protected waters. Your HAL ship will anchor just offshore and tender you ashore for a day of play. Sample shore excursions: horseback riding, country safari adventures, cat sail & snorkle, tale of 2 cities."[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
:)

Yes, there is a Catalina Island off the southern coast of the DR. Check this out, however I can't find the island on the map. It's a short distance from La Romana harbor, which you can see on the map.

[url]http://www.webdominicana.com/maps-en.html[/url]

That definitely is a new port for HAL. Will be interesting to hear what you think of it.

Just did a Google search and learned that it's Costa's private island. The Google unearthed dozens of hits, but they're mostly cruise line links.

I went to Costa's web site, but it's slow as a snail (I'm using high speed cable). Maybe you'll have better luck.

[url="http://www.costacruise.com/costa/USA/Homepage.htm"]http://www.costacruise.com/costa/USA/Homepage.htm[/url]

You're more likely to get info posting on CC's Costa msg board.

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138[/url]

Thanks to those who took some time to research and respond--all but the first responder, that is! It seems some boards always produce a few SA's lurking at every opportunity to add something unproductive that they think is humorous. Most times they are just legends in their own minds!
It looks like it we be an interesting place to visit. We've done a little research ourselves and found that at least two other cruise lines have stopped there. The island is basically uninhabited and is operated similar to private islands except not exclusively by a cruise line. Non-cruise excursions are also booked to the island from dive shops, etc. We will look forward to a new place to visit!

[quote name='Keith Rita']Thanks to those who took some time to research and respond--all but the first responder, that is! It seems some boards always produce a few SA's lurking at every opportunity to add something unproductive that they think is humorous. Most times they are just legends in their own minds!
It looks like it we be an interesting place to visit. We've done a little research ourselves and found that at least two other cruise lines have stopped there. The island is basically uninhabited and is operated similar to private islands except not exclusively by a cruise line. Non-cruise excursions are also booked to the island from dive shops, etc. We will look forward to a new place to visit![/QUOTE]

I don't think Lisa meant any harm in her post - that was the first thing that came to my mind too! A little levity is always nice... and I think it was just a joke. :)

We certainly are not prudes and usually have a lot of levity when it comes to joking around with folks we have met on the boards. If we misread Lisa's post and jumped the gun and assumed other motives for her answer, then we sincerely apologize.

I hope when you return you'll post some comments about Catalina. We've been to Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo) at least 6 or 7 times for land trips and only once on a ship but never heard of the island. I'm interested to hear about it.

(I agree Lisa was just adding a little lightness.....she meant no harm at all I'm sure. She's really an asset here.)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]When we were on Celebrity last November, we were supposed to stop on Catalina Island ... it was billed as kind of their "private island". Instead we went to La Romana and though it was "ok" I was terribly disappointed. At the time everything I read said Catalina was fabulous ... dare I say sort of like our Half Moon Cay:confused: . Everything I read was on the Celebrity boards, but those posts are probably gone by now.[/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]After many conversations with Celebrity, they finally told me that the island is "shared" by more than one cruiseline and if there are too many ships booked for that port, they go to LaRomana instead. We were told well in advance so I'm not suggesting this will happen to you.[/color][/font]

Keith and Rita, I am truly sorry that you took me the wrong way. I guess I have been making to many posts on the "Blender" thread. Living here on the West Coast the first thing that does come to mind is Catalina Island just off the coast of California. RCL and Carnival go to it weekly.

Marie,,ekerr19, and S7S, Thank you for your kind words.

I have been twice to Isla de Catalina on the Costa Atlantica and the Costa Victoria. It was an OK port, built up with a few shops selling the usual stuff, a nice beach bar run by the crew, the usual massage huts and hair braiding huts, and DR musicians. I don`t remember any one thing standing out in my mind. The ships that stop there usually offer tours to Caso de Campo on the mainland, this is a huge resort built and designed by, I think, Oscar de la Renta.....we didn`t go to it. Its a nice beach day....jean

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS']Keith and Rita, I am truly sorry that you took me the wrong way. I guess I have been making to many posts on the "Blender" thread. Living here on the West Coast the first thing that does come to mind is Catalina Island just off the coast of California. RCL and Carnival go to it weekly.[/QUOTE]

No harm, no foul! Maybe someday we will take another left coast cruise and visit Catalina Island in California.
Also, that "Blender" thread sounds interesting. On our first cruise was a gentleman nicknamed the "Blenderman" whom provided us with some great frozen drinks for the entire cruise. He also was on another cruise with us and supplied our group with his great drinks at the hot tub! We were part of a group of about 50 and he did a blender demonstration in one of the lounges reserved a head of time. :p :p

Archived