Strange upgrade/ downgrade dilema

Tinknock50

Got some wonderful news! We just got upgraded from an Inside guarantee to a VC on the Noordam one day cruise!

But here is where it gets strange. I took the gamble of doing a guarantee,even though we would need a handicap room for my Mom to bathe. And I understand perfectly that it is all my doing ending up in a non-handicap. For one night I figured we could make do.

On a hunch, I called HAL to see if by any chance there was a handicap balcony open. There is.....it is a VF next to where I am assigned now.

So I called HAL and my TA to see if I could be down graded to the un-assigned VF. They won't do it.

This not going to ruin my one day cruise and we can make do , but it strikes me very odd that they wouldn't let me go down in category level to get a cabin we certainly need.

Also, when I booked had it marked "handicap", but from past experience I learned their computer doesn't recognize the word "handicap". Now I know it is still that way.

I guess it comes back to the basic premise with live with here on the Board. We should always book the minimum category cabin in which we will be happy... and .... If we need /want a certain type cabin, we should book and pay for that cabin. Guarantees only come with the guarantee you will get at least the category level which you booked and paid for.

I can't guess their reasons for refusing you but they probably have one (or more).

Seeing as you suspect the computers don't recognize 'handicap', you probably should deal with people on the phone rather than the computer in order to assure your needs/wants are being understood.

Congratulations on a wonderful upgrade. Hope you enjoy.

I guess it comes back to the basic premise with live with here on the Board. We should always book the minimum category cabin in which we will be happy... and .... If we need /want a certain type cabin, we should book and pay for that cabin. Guarantees only come with the guarantee you will get at least the category level which you booked and paid for.

I can't guess their reasons for refusing you but they probably have one (or more).

Seeing as you suspect the computers don't recognize 'handicap', you probably should deal with people on the phone rather than the computer in order to assure your needs/wants are being understood.

Congratulations on a wonderful upgrade. Hope you enjoy.

Hi Sail,

My OP did mention that I accepted that "basic premise".....and I am ok with that...we will be fine, its only one night.

Regarding "computers", I am not talking about booking by computer, I am referring to something HAL explained to me in a previous experience I had with this.

I am referring to the computer HAL uses to assign upgrades. Your booking can be marked "upgrade" (as in will accept upgrade), but if you mark it "handicap upgrade", the computer will not recognize the word "handicap" and you can be upgraded from a handicap cabin to a non-handicap cabin. (Which actually happened to us on the Zaandam, if you remember and that was for 7 days:eek: Fortunately we were able to switch back to our handicap cabin on that one).

You could do all your business with someone on the phone, but it all goes into the same system as everyone else. For the most part, you have to talk to someone to book a handicap, because they are often not listed as open on line

The way the system is, any able-bodied passenger can get a free upgrade into a handicap cabin, but a handicap person can not be upgraded from his inside at the bottom of the ship to any higher category handicap cabin.

Just got through with a conference call with my TA and the HAL rep.....and no there was no reason given why we couldn't be downgraded, unless you call "we just don't" a reason.:)

The HAL rep agreed that it is very strange that handicaps cannot be upgraded and she said she would send my suggestion to the appropriate

department.

My post disappeared.....second try.

I went back in my archives to find an interesting old e-mail I got regarding handicap upgrades. Actually a little off-topic because my OP was more about not be able to downgrade....but still an interesting e-mail.

Thank you for contacting us. Holland America Line asks that guests

reserving accessible accommodations complete and return a Special

Requirements information form (SRI), once a reservation has been made.

This is to ensure all guests occupying these rooms need the facilities

offered in an accessible stateroom. Your booking has been marked for NO

UPGRADE. This is to ensure you will keep your accessible accommodations.

The upgrades are automatically done by our reservations system, and

unfortunately we have not yet been able to 'teach' our computer to read

comments. If your booking is marked for an upgrade, you will simply be

moved to the best available room, with no regard to accessibility. The

receipt of your completed SRI is expected. I have electronically

attached a blank copy of the SRI to this message, for your convenience.

Please feel free to contact us again with further questions/concerns.

Thank you,

Holland America Line

Access & Compliance

(800) 547-8493

halw_access@hollandamerica.com

Very interesting, Sean.

I can understand why the computer would upgrade you without taking that status into account, but it's interesting that HAL won't downgrade you. I guess, statistically speaking, a passenger who books a guarantee is consenting to be moved to any cabin on the ship.

I do hope it works out for you.

But here is where it gets strange. I took the gamble of doing a guarantee,even though we would need a handicap room for my Mom to bathe. And I understand perfectly that it is all my doing ending up in a non-handicap.

OK, so what are you posting here about? If it's all your doing, then you did it. Frankly, I don't quite understand the philosophy of booking a "guarantee" when you have a very specific requirement for a handicap cabin. It seems to me entirely reasonable that you can only get one or the other. The ship sells "guarantee" cabins on the basis of having the freedom to put the pax anywhere on the ship.

What you are asking for is for them to assign you a handicap cabin, and then give you a free upgrade to some other handicap cabin? Why would you think they would do that for you? You get one or the other.

Have a GREAT cruise!

What you are asking for is for them to assign you a handicap cabin, and then give you a free upgrade to some other handicap cabin? Why would you think they would do that for you? You get one or the other.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Nope.....not what I said at all. Never said anything about being upgraded to another handicap cabin.

All "V" categories are the same price. I was upgraded to a VC from an inside. I am happy with that! Today I see an open handicap cabin in a lower category and that would be great for my Mom in her wheelchair.

I can get by for one night without a handicap.....but with an empty handicap cabin sitting there, would be nice to be moved there.

Simple as that.

Again,I booked the guarantee with the idea that for one night we would be fine without a handicap cabin..... I am ok there and we will enjoy our one-nighter.:)

Very interesting, Sean.

I can understand why the computer would upgrade you without taking that status into account, but it's interesting that HAL won't downgrade you. I guess, statistically speaking, a passenger who books a guarantee is consenting to be moved to any cabin on the ship.

I do hope it works out for you.

Thanks, Aaron

I guess the downgrade thing is one of those cruise mysteries that cannot be explained.:)

Looking forward to watching cruising out of Vancouver and into Seattle on our nice balcony!:)

It's always hard for me to take "no" for an answer. You might try calling HAL again. Sometimes you can get a different answer from a different person. Also, you could try calling the access and compliance department to see if they can help. Good luck.

KAKcruiser,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will just wait until we board and ask if the handicap is still open and if they will let us have it then.

Ironically, there will probably be an able-bodied person in it.:rolleyes:

I think I will just wait until we board and ask if the handicap is still open and if they will let us have it then.

Ironically, there will probably be an able-bodied person in it.:rolleyes:

And if there is why not ask them if they want to switch? There's been so many posts on this board from people who got an HC cabin and would have preferred a tub that they just might want to!

Then go to the Front Desk together to arrange the paperwork shuffle? :)

Got some wonderful news! We just got upgraded from an Inside guarantee to a VC on the Noordam one day cruise!

But here is where it gets strange. I took the gamble of doing a guarantee,even though we would need a handicap room for my Mom to bathe. And I understand perfectly that it is all my doing ending up in a non-handicap. For one night I figured we could make do.

On a hunch, I called HAL to see if by any chance there was a handicap balcony open. There is.....it is a VF next to where I am assigned now.

So I called HAL and my TA to see if I could be down graded to the un-assigned VF. They won't do it.

This not going to ruin my one day cruise and we can make do , but it strikes me very odd that they wouldn't let me go down in category level to get a cabin we certainly need.

Also, when I booked had it marked "handicap", but from past experience I learned their computer doesn't recognize the word "handicap". Now I know it is still that way.

We were in a VC (booked it at the get-go) on our recent Noordam cruise. Lovely stateroom; great area near the aft elevators (#5150). Not to far to waddle "home" from the dining room! ;) :rolleyes: ;)

Now, I'm curious about your one day cruise...have only heard of those for travel agents. What's your itinerary?

I think your attitude about this situation is spot on and hopefully you will find a solution or just figure out a way to live with it on a one day cruise...

A one day cruise? On the Noordam? What's that all about? Where does it go?

Just curious.

Good idea, Ruth....I may just do that.

By the way thats "back button,back button, refresh buttton" not Backspace. LOL

mintor,innlady1...... This is a one day cruise from Vancouver to Seattle.

My Diamond Coastal ends in Vancouver, so I just walk across the pier and board the Noordam. Then fly home from Seattle.

Sail.....yes, one night won't be nearly enough for the Noordam, but at least I will be able to check her out.:)

My Diamond Coastal ends in Vancouver, so I just walk across the pier and board the Noordam. Then fly home from Seattle.

Sail.....yes, one night won't be nearly enough for the Noordam, but at least I will be able to check her out.:)

Interesting. I've never heard of that. Trust me....you will love the Noordam!

So call Access and Compliance, ask for a lady named Ena, and see what the specific reason is.

Guaranteed she can at least SHARE THE REASON why

My post disappeared.....second try.

I went back in my archives to find an interesting old e-mail I got regarding handicap upgrades. Actually a little off-topic because my OP was more about not be able to downgrade....but still an interesting e-mail.

Thank you for contacting us. Holland America Line asks that guests

reserving accessible accommodations complete and return a Special

Requirements information form (SRI), once a reservation has been made.

This is to ensure all guests occupying these rooms need the facilities

offered in an accessible stateroom. Your booking has been marked for NO

UPGRADE. This is to ensure you will keep your accessible accommodations.

The upgrades are automatically done by our reservations system, and

unfortunately we have not yet been able to 'teach' our computer to read

comments. If your booking is marked for an upgrade, you will simply be

moved to the best available room, with no regard to accessibility. The

receipt of your completed SRI is expected. I have electronically

attached a blank copy of the SRI to this message, for your convenience.

Please feel free to contact us again with further questions/concerns.

Thank you,

Holland America Line

Access & Compliance

(800) 547-8493

halw_access@hollandamerica.com

Archived