Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

tuggers - No I am not sure about paying for the pastries.

Carnival Glory June 2004 there was a charge for hot drinks and pastries at the coffee bar.

Celebrity Constellation July 2002 I know I signed a Slip when I got Tea and Pastry but I do not remember if I was charged for the pastry or not. (this was not Continental Breakfast time) Maybe I did pay for it but that was two years ago and policies change.

cruisincruise - Great tip about the Martini tasting I need to add that to my list of things I must do someday.

This is a tips Board so lets try keeping on topic. Now I owe one tip... Lets see....

My Tip - Concerning Ironing Clothes.

On ships without Self Service - As soon as you get your luggage in your room unpack and get your steward to take whatever needs pressing then. We had a Formal night on the second day once and wrinkled tux shirts don't look so sharp. If we had sent the shirt out on embarkation day this would not have been a problem.

On Ships with Self Service - Do not leave ironing until 1/2 hour before dinner. That is when everyone else is trying to use the Irons. 8 Irons for 1,000 people is not going to cut it.

Cindy

Neal, on Mercury, as far as I could tell, you could not use Word for free, so you had to compose your email while the clock was ticking. It was great on Infinity using Word for free to compose.
I never could get a definitive from Celebrity about computer usage time. It seems that it varies from ship to ship!

Nice web site. The Oosterdam is one of the ships I would love to try out. Couldn't affort the penthouse, though! Captain's table??? Ooo, I am so jealous!

Thanks Neal,

Our cruise next week is Westerdam. I don't remember if we could use word for free on HAL. It sure is easier and cheaper when you can.If you set up your mail with a group, you can do a running commentary on the cruise using Word every few days and easily send that out to all those in your group address.

Your website is great too.

- chocolate croissants available warm each morning in Cova Cafe

- a daily pass ($20) to the Persian Gardens if you want to try it out before spending $100 for the entire cruise

- creme brulee available every night at dinner IF you pre-order it

Senga,

Do you have to pay extra for the croissants? Thanks for the advice on the creme brulee - it's my absolute favorite!:D

My secret...be REALLY considerate of the staff, treat them well, thank them for their efforts, leave your cabin for a short time if it helps them stay on schedual, understand that they work VERY hard and have feelings...and you'll get even BETTER service :D !!

I agree 100%. This shouldn't really even be a secret, even to us Celebrity snobs. :p

This is a great idea for all of your interpersonal relations.

You get more flies with honey..........

Reggie:D

Our cabin always seems to be next to a cabin of some couple that likes to get lots of criosants and sit out on the balcony. They usually take a plate full of them and leave them out there for a little while before they actually go back out there to eat them.

Our secret...

We lean over the balcony and get a couple of fresh croisants off the plate!

All this time I thought it was just a hungry seagull.:p

Next time I'll put the mousetraps around my croissants.:eek:

Reggie:D

I have never been able to figure out why so many people are trying to get more flies. :D

BT- In all the crazy meanderings of my mind, I have never thought of it like that! I can't wait to totally destroy a conversation and a train of thought with that quote!

In the cova you pay for coffees, hot chocolate, etc, but the pastries and cookies are free! Yumm!

I have never tried them on any of my X cruises, but I am making it a promise to myself to try 2 new things on each cruise. On this cruise it is the pastries at the cova and the tpool!

After five cruises, I finally indulged in a latte and enjoyed a relaxing half-hour seated at the tables along the railing of the atrium. enjoyed listening to the quartet and then chatting with those I had met who happened by and just relaxing with a hot drink (it was an AK cruise). Now I make it a point to go for coffee or hot chocolate once during the cruise and just listen to the music and people watch.

Let me see if I can add a few:

Captain Andrianatos, Master of Infinity, refers to his wife as "The Admiral". His 17 year old daughter holds the rank of "rebellion". During his training for the M-class ships, he spent two days in the bridge simulator. He said that was much harder than real life as instructors throw everything at you at once. Icebergs, collisions, fires, etc.

According to the F&B manager, if there is something you want to eat, just ask even if it is not on the menu. If at all possible they will endeavour to satisfy your request. We had this happen with us as we asked for a chocolate dessert served on longer cruises. On the last night, we both received a plate of "Moreham" (sp???) or translates we were told as "Black in a White Suit". It was DIVINE. I know at NYNANNY's table the gentleman ordered white chocolate mousse and it was delivered.

When the M-Class ships go through the Panama Canal, they have to give our warnings not to lean out too far as you can reach out and touch the sides of the locks or scrape your head.

The crew can evacuate the ship within 11 minutes. They can get off all passengers and crew within 30 minutes. They can evacuate all passengers and crew just from one side of the ship in case listing renders the other side useless.

According to the hotel manager, more often it is adults who spend time in the brig rather than teenagers. Speaking of teenagers, the parents gets the bill when their kids decide it is fun to toss things overboard. There are cameras EVERYWHERE. (Not in staterooms or public restrooms though).

The M-class ships are licensed to run without any humans in the engines systems control room. However, that is NOT a cost-cutting measure RCCL has taken nor it is ever planned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread has helped me immensely! I am hoping it is proper to ask a few questions, so if it is not, blame my ignorance, not arrogance!

Is a steward the same as a butler?

How do you know if your ship has the self-service irons? (does Millennium?)

When you are ordering for the midnight chocolate, you are doing so at the dinner table, and requesting it be brought to your room at midnight??!! If that is true, this cruise will be the most fantastic thing I have ever done!

I believe the Rasul is a treatment for two involving mud, etc. The Persian gardens are steam rooms. You can buy passes, but I got a special that included a facial, a half hour massage, and half an hour in the Persian gardens. Hope this helps.

This thread has helped me immensely! I am hoping it is proper to ask a few questions, so if it is not, blame my ignorance, not arrogance!

Is a steward the same as a butler?

How do you know if your ship has the self-service irons? (does Millennium?)

When you are ordering for the midnight chocolate, you are doing so at the dinner table, and requesting it be brought to your room at midnight??!! If that is true, this cruise will be the most fantastic thing I have ever done!

All rooms have a steward. The steward makes the beds, cleans the rooms, takes your cleaning, etc. Only suites have butlers. The butler helps unpack, makes your arrangements for the spa or specialty dining, delivers hors d'ouvres, etc.

No Celebrity ships have self service irons or laundry facilities. Other cruiselines do.

I you are in a regular cabin (not CC or Suite), you can still get feather pillows. Just ask your steward. We did that on our last cruise when the pillows were really awful. Worked great and saved a lot of neck aches!

Linda

Any Century secrets? Is there a pasta bar every night somewhere as there was on the Galaxy Med? Are there waffles? Is there spa cuisine in the spa?

This is a great thread! Thanks1

The waffles are to die for. I think I drool just thinking about them. They make omelets & waffles out by the pool deck in the mornings. I don't know of a pasta bar on Century, but they do have the usual hamburgers, hotdogs, and pizza.

Archived