Is Murono's worth extra $$$$$ ?

cokies

I have not been to Murano yet, but I have eaten at the specialty restaurants on other X ships. I love those restaurants, and find them well worth the extra money. The food and service are fantastic. Your meal will probably take longer in Murano than in the regular dining room, so if you don't like long meals it may not be for you. Take a look at the menu (they have one posted on the X website), and if you love food, you may want to give it a shot. I know not everyone likes the specialty restaurants. If you decide to try it out, try to get your reservation as soon after getting onboard as possible, or call and make a reservation if you are a captain's club member. They do book up.

I defy anyone to find a meal with the kind of food and service that you experience in any of Xs alternative restaurants. We have done the United States on Infinity more times than I can count. The last time, dinner in the wine room was 6+ hours. And we loved every minute of it. We did two weeks on the Galaxy last year and that was our only regret--there wasn't an alternative restaurant.

We eat out a lot and think nothing of spending $200 at a restaurant but the best value we know of is an X alternative restaurant.

Great food and svc, but remember they are real chincy with the food. You can only pick 3 and only 3 items.

I liked that aspect of it. Not piles of food, but a nice amount so as to be able to savour the flavour and appreciate the service. I'm really looking forward to trying the Murano.

Phil

We dined at Murano once in November. If we ever cruise on Century again, we would book at least two nights.

Three courses was more than enough food for all of us and I prefer smaller portions personally. The service and ambiance was outstanding.

I would book the first and last night in Murano as these were the most disappointing in the main dining room IMO.

I would definitely recommend that you check the menu first, before you decide to book it. I dined there - with most of my family - on my Dec 2006 sailing. We really enjoyed it - the food was amazing, and the wine list is much expanded from the list in the Grand restaurant.

My younger sister decided not to join us - she's not a fan of goat cheese (which is liberally sprinkled throughout the menu), for instance. She had another great meal at the Grand, while we were being spoiled at Murano.

When I had it to do again (I sailed Century again in Feb 2007), I decided to pass on Murano. Yes, it was wonderful, AND yes, it was very expensive (those marvelous wines add up so very quickly). Since I loved the Grand as well, I decided to save my $$ for other great experiences.

Just one person's opinion.... enjoy!

Beth

Great food and svc, but remember they are real chincy with the food. You can only pick 3 and only 3 items.

How much food can you eat. I am a BIG eater and between the appetizer, main course, cheese course (eat as much as you want of cheese, fruit, bread and crackers) and dessert over a long evening...how much can you eat?

Without hesitation, a resounding YES from our family. Since we were only on Century for five nights in December, we almost didn't try it. Boy were we glad we did.

Your experience starts with the best Maitre 'd we've ever had on a ship - Dominique (I'm 99% sure he's there until April). From the time he took our reservation to the time we left the restaurant, service was outstanding, the food was excellent, and the laughter and smiles never stopped all night.

We, too, have dined in the Specialty restaurants on the M-class ships and they, too were great, but Murano's is every bit as good if not better.

ENJOY!

P.S. Please send our best to Dominique if he's there!

Not sure how much longer Domingue is there as he heads to vacation and then to their "new" ship Journey, were they will have 2 alternatives restaurants

We have had the pleasure of his service and knowledge and several of our cruises and wish all the best on his new adventure

DH and I dined at Ocean Liners on the Connie for our wedding anniversary - we had an absolutely fabulous dining experience.

I would say for sure that for the best Service, food and wines in a cosy, relaxing setting, the extra is so worth every dime and then some!

"I dont think its a matter of how much a person can eat, but when we go out to a nice restaruant, we really enjoy having an appetizer, salad, entree and a desert, Celebrity should not offer anthing less."

Well, think of it this way...at the specialty restaurant...you get an amuse- bouche to start, then an appetizer, then an entree, then a cheese course and finally a desert. I think that puts you ahead.

It is a real pity to miss such a wonderful meal...and I don't work for Celebrity:D

We dined in the Specialty Restaurant recently on the Constellation, as the guests of some new friends we made, I would never have booked to go there of my own volition, as I concider the food in the Main Dining Room to be very good.

I have to admit the food was amazing. I have eaten in many good restaurants in my time, and NEVER had a better meal. This was the opinion of our host also, and he has eaten at some of the best places all over the world. So so yourself a favour and treat yourself. Its less than many trips you may take, and I will wager it will be the best.:)

My friends and I ate at Murano on the first evening of the cruise. We were seated in the wine room and it was marvelous. I have been in some very nice restaurants, but this one was definitely one of the best. The service by Aurilean was impeccable. The sommelier Dan was amazing. They were all so friendly. The food was delectable. I had the foie gras as my appetizer-unbelievable. The lamb en croute was my main course--absolutely splendid. The cheese course was fabulous. And my dessert choice was the sampler. It was so beautiful when it came to the table that I had to take a picture.... The flavors were unbelievable. From start to finish, this meal was top-notch.

We were phoned on the last day of the cruise and asked if we would like to join them again, and our experience was just at wonderful. The only alteration I made in my choices was my entree--I had the Dover Sole. I have had sole in many places, as it is my boyfriends favorite, and this one was as good as any other I have had.

I strongly recommend that you take the opportunity to dine at Murano if you are going to be on the Century. It will be an experience that you will never forget!

a p p e t i z e r s

Tartare Of Salmon Garnished With Quail Eggs

Potted fresh and smoked salmon seasoned with herbs, lemon and fromage blanc

Chilled Asparagus, Sauce Gribiche

Asparagus spears with a sauce of finely chopped capers, eggs, gherkins and parsley

Stuffed Quail Glazed With Port Jelly

Boned quail with a forcemeat of veal, chicken and pork, flavored with green peppercorns

Goat Cheese Soufflé With Tomato Coulis

Delicate warm goat cheese soufflé served with a creamy sauce and tomato coulis

s o u p s

Iced Tropical Paradise

Chilled exotic fruit soup garnished with kiwi

Lobster Velouté

A creamy lobster broth

s a l a d s

Caesar Salad

A classic; tossed and served at your table

Russian Salad

A salad of diced vegetables, ham, tongue, a creamy mayonnaise, lobster and truffle

Shredded Smoked Chicken With Oriental Salad

Sliced smoked breast of chicken served on ribbons of Chinese cabbage, toasted almonds and crispy rice noodles

e n t r é e s

Risotto Primavera

Risotto of baby spring vegetables

Grilled Filet of Sea Bass

Fillet of Sea Bass brushed with tapenade and served with grilled vegetables

Boston Scrod with Sauce Nantua

Medallions of young cod with a rich shellfish sauce

Flambéed Scampi

Prawns wrapped in pancetta, flamed in Armagnac and served on a bed of rocket leaves

Long Island Duckling For Two

As was served on the S.S. United States in the Fifties and Sixties, crispy roast, apple and prune stuffing, citrus sauce

Saltimbocca Alla Romana

Escalopines of veal with prosciutto, pan fried and served with a Marsala Sauce

Rack of Lamb en Croûte

Rack of lamb coated with a mushroom duxelle, wrapped in puff pastry

and baked until golden

Steak Diane

New York steak cooked to your liking and served with garlic, parsley, Cognac

and Worcestershire sauce

d e s s e r t s

Crêpes Suzette

A classic dessert of fine crepes flavored with orange and Grand Marnier

Zabaglione Flavored with Marsala

A fluffy delicate Marsala flavored sabayon

Waldorf Pudding

A creamy vanilla pudding flavored with a hint of nutmeg, diced apples and sultana grapes

Chocolate Soufflé

The most classic and well-known light soufflé

Selection Of Ice Creams And Sorbets

Freshly churned ice creams and sorbets

a p p e t i z e r s

Goat Cheese Soufflé With Tomato Coulis

Delicate warm goat cheese soufflé served with a creamy sauce and tomato coulis

e n t r é e

Rack of Lamb en Croûte

d e s s e r t

Chocolate Soufflé

The most classic and well-known light soufflé

Although everything is wonderful, this is my favorite meal in the United States. And don't forget the cheese. Yummy!

Besides the wonderfully prepared food, is the entire experience! The service is so over the top, you really can't beat the price. We just loved when the waiters served us, our plates covered with silver lids, and all at once the lids were lifted and the head waiter says "Voila"! You just want to applaud! For an even more fantastic experience, try the wine pairing. It will run you around $300 for a couple, but the wines you will taste are some of the finest aboard, and not something I will probably ever buy a whole bottle of! It was one evening we will never forget.

Archived