Surviving an Inside Cabin

OldCodger73

Apparently HAL knew what they were doing last summer when they upgraded us from an A cabin to an S. We fell so in love with the deluxe suites that we booked a 4-day Pacific coastal cruise in S last September and two cruises in S for later this year.

The Amsterdam 25 May Alaska cruise is particularly attractive as it leaves from our home port of Seattle, so the only extra charge would be for parking for the week. But, unfortunately our travel budget for the year only has enough left for an inside cabin.

Given our previous experience with an S suite and the perks, particularly the large cabin size and access to the Neptune Lounge, how would one survive an inside cabin? Specifically we like room service breakfast. Where in an inside cabin would there be room for the tray? On the bed? Snacks in the Neptune Lounge in the afternoon were a high point. Where are snacks available for general passengers between 3 and 4PM? Does anyone have any special tips on what they do when they have an inside cabin to enhance the experience? Can anyone recommend a specific inside cabin/class on the Amsterdam?

Thanks in advance.

Half my cruises have been in cozy inside cabins. The key to surviving this is to spend as much time out of the cabin, as possible. On the Amsterdam I am partial to the J and K cabins because of their proxcimity to the promendade where you can practically own a teak lounge.

Room Service, beyond coffee, is ackward. Are those tasty morsels in the Neptune worth the difference in cabin prices if it means you can cruise more frequently and enjoy almost the same out of cabin experience as those in suites do?

But if you are looking for rationalization to book a suite, know that on a per square foot basis, they are often substantially less than typical in/outside cabin.

And remember a day in an inside cabin is usually far better than a day at home.

I've been on 3 cruises and always inside, you don't really spend any time in an inside cabin, sleep, shower, dress, done.

You may have to change some of your habits but if it's between not going on a cruise and cruising in inside cabin, I'd choose inside anytime.

The title to your thread basically answers your question. Why consider "surviving an inside cabin" when you can wallow in luxury in a suite?;) I'd rather do a few cruises in comfort than a lot of cruises in a windowless closet. That's just me, many feel differently, and that's OK:)

Inside? Nope, like Jim we'd simply not cruise. Wife doesn't particularly like elevators, even for short rides, so the thought of "living" in an inside cabin without even a window to the outside is not happening. Of course, it doesn't help that I took her on the Ryndam in a cat B and 6 cruises later that's the lowest category we've had or will have. :o

What is the price difference for an HH or an Outside on a lower deck, even with port holes? If I could sqeeze a forth cruise into the budget with no air like you are trying to do, I'd do it too, but try to at least get a porthole. I can't imagine it's that great a difference in price? Do you book directly with Hal? If not, you could and pick a specific cabin and then transfer to an on-line TA (One that has a phone) in order to get a discount. I bet you could match the inside price, no?

The other thing is if I took an inside I would definately change my habits for the week and go to the dinning room for breakfast. The Alaska scenery is beautiful. Plus, what I really enjoyed in the dinning room was the daily breakfast specials such as banana pancakes etc. I lot of the specials could prob be ordered in the room but would require you to walk to the dinningroom to find out what they are and by that point you might as well eat in the dinning room.

i couldn't book a standard inside, even traveling solo. i saw one once. they are small. the large insides are almost the same size as the outsides. room for a tray on the coffee table.

i think if i were ever upgraded, i'd decline. i too would have trouble going back to steerage.

I've done an OV once- the rest have all been verandah/balconies. Well, not only am I about to have an interior, but I'll be doing it alone with two sons- 9 and 13. The $$ factor was too good to pass up. Has to be better than the quad OV I had two years ago with 4 sons- two of them teenagers- and I am MOM, btw.

We'll see. I've heard too many people say it forces them to be on deck more for sailaways, etc.- so maybe this will be fun???

We'll see!

The QM2 is an OV- 100pp more than an interior so that was an easy call.

Long after the cruise is over, I remember the fabulous ports and very little about the stateroom. For me, it is much more fun spending freely in port on tours, transportation, lunches, etc. Go with an open mind, and be willing to have a good time!

Happy cruising!

We usually book the least expensive outside, but have done insides on occasion, especially to Alaska where the price diff can be substantial. We have also had the S suite experience. It really makes little difference to us.

Put us in the category that like to spend our time out and around the ship in the public rooms. We really don't use the cabin for anything except showering and sleeping.

If you are really addicted to room service breakfast, an inside cabin usually has a desk and a chair so you can manage, if you keep that space cleared! Frankly, I would have coffee and a danish in the cabin and then dress in a leisurely fashion and head up for the buffet for breakfast. The buffet is open during the afternoon and you can get little snacks there, or nachos from the pool grill.

One thing we do miss is the light from the window, so we learned a good trick -- leave the TV tuned to the bow cam channel, with the sound off, and it is just like having a porthole!

Have a GREAT cruise!

On my first cruise, years and years ago, we had a little porthole and thought it was fine. Then we started cruising with HAL and had outside cabins and we thought those were fine too. Then I won a cruise and we upgraded to a veranda and I think we got spoiled. Now, we want the veranda for sitting, watching the ocean go by, and for room service breakfast. I'd be afraid to try something more upgraded because afterwards I wouldn't want to go back to the veranda. I think we got spoiled with each upgrade.

On my first cruise, years and years ago, we had a little porthole and thought it was fine. Then we started cruising with HAL and had outside cabins and we thought those were fine too. Then I won a cruise and we upgraded to a veranda and I think we got spoiled. Now, we want the veranda for sitting, watching the ocean go by, and for room service breakfast. I'd be afraid to try something more upgraded because afterwards I wouldn't want to go back to the veranda. I think we got spoiled with each upgrade.

I think that happens, Carol. We've only had a verandah on our limited life in cruising....but I couldn't go back. The verandah is one of the best parts of the cruise. I'd love to have a suite, but know I couldn't "settle for" a verandah stateroom after that....so I'm drawing the line here! ;)

On the day we disembarked, people had checked out of the inside up the hall from us. So I peeked in....I would get very claustrophobic, I'm afraid. I need at least a window to the outside world.

And, one of our favorite parts of cruising is to have breakfast on the verandah, and also to hang out there during the day and read. Or, to just stand at the railing and watch the world go by...or watch a glorious sunrise or sunset! We plan our room service early on port days, and stand at the rail and watch the ship dock.

I was one of the "never ever will I sail inside" until my sister offered me the chance to cruise inside cabin with her two teens (yeow). I went, I survived, and I've told my DH if there's a cruise we're dying to take but can only afford inside, we can sail in an inside cabin. As for the "you won't spend much time in your cabin" chanting, well, not necessarily true. We did spend time in there and it wasn't that bad. Whenever I wistfully looked at the balconies, I reminded myself it cost them more than the $20 per day which was what I was paying!! (Ah, the $$ perks of being the third passenger!)

Is this a cruise you're dying to take? Will you spend your time lamenting the fact you're not in a suite? Only you can decide that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's given us a lot to mull over.

The Amsterdam Alaska cruise isn't something that we've really had our heart set on, just a kind of bonus thing if it did come off.

Someone mentioned that the inside cabins are small. I thought that was only true on the Vista class ship, that they were of a tolerable size on the R and S ships. Is this true?

Maybe the next step would be to check with our travel agent and get some hard numbers as to price.

Someone mentioned that the inside cabins are small. I thought that was only true on the Vista class ship, that they were of a tolerable size on the R and S ships. Is this true?

i don't know about the vista class, because i haven't sailed on them. the s and r classes have standard and large insides. the standard is very small. the large inside is nearly identical to the size of an outside, 197 vs. 182 square feet. the main difference is the insides have a shower only.

OK, let me get this straight. You were upgraded :) to an S-, and have since sailed again in that catgory. Plus :) you have two more cruises booked in an S-cat! Now you can do an additional :) cruise, but it has to be inside?

My heart bleeds for you, Old Codger. ;) Bleeds.

I take insides all the time and am thrilled when I get an upgrade to a cabin with a window. The insides on the S- and R-class ships are quite large. As a matter of fact, if you check the deck plans there are some K-cats that are positively huge. (not telling which ones---I book one and don't want the secret to get out ;)).

Book the inside, take the cruise, and enjoy the beautiful Alaska scenery and fresh air from an outside deck.

Go to the Lido for breakfast and take your tray outdoors to eat there.

Get snacks late afternoon from Room Service, the Lido, the grill, or pick up some popcorn at the movie (you don't have to stay and watch the show).

Learn to suffer so you'll appreciate that S-cat even more when you get back to it.

In reading your posts, I see you mention J, K, HH, etc. cabins and I wonder where you see those letters in relation to the cabin category.

In looking at the HAl sight, they don't use those letters. Are these from an oline TA or what? Thanks.

In reading your posts, I see you mention J, K, HH, etc. cabins and I wonder where you see those letters in relation to the cabin category.

In looking at the HAl sight, they don't use those letters. Are these from an oline TA or what? Thanks.

They're in the brochures (fer sur :D). Last time I checked the HAL website (a long time ago, truthfully) they were in the deckplans shown there.

Hope they still are there since I want to start looking for the E-dam inaugural. ;)

on the HAL site, you have to match up the colors on the deckplans with the legend to the side OR it will be in the cabin number, like K1333. the letter indicates the category.

Our first HAL cruise many years ago was on the old Rotterdam in an inside with upper and lower bunks. We had a ball. You don't know what small is unless you've spent a week in one of those cabins. Over the years we've cruised inside many times. Had we not we would have missed many great cruises waiting until we could afford outside or balcony. We normally cruise outside now with the occasional balcony but wouldn't hesitate to go inside again if the budget dictated.

Archived