Midnight Chocolate Buffet???????

Why in the world did RCI change from the midnight Chocolate buffet to the Gala Buffet??? We were so disappointed on our last Navigator cruise as we took the whole family (3 cabins full) and NO CHOC Buffet. It was a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Gala buffet was nice, but the CHOC Buffet was AWESOME.:confused: :(

Just wondering, what is a gala buffet, and what is on it? My wife and have never gone to the mid-night buffet and promised we were going on our cruise in June, I hope we didn't miss something great by not ever going, though I think we did.

Personally I wish they would just have a chocolate fountain, and put a HUGE assortment of stuff to dunk in it, versus the chocolate buffet. It seems that most of it is for looks not eating. :( Beautiful work there though. I'm always full when they have midnight buffets since we have the late seating usually, but it is nice to nibble.:D My kids love them, since they stay up late for these. Hopefully Rhapsody will have some kind of late nighter!!

My friend gave me the Compasses from the Rhapsody of the seas 3/11-3/18/07. There was a pool side buffet on the 3rd night out which was Key West. There was a Gala Buffet the 5th night out Grand Cayman. The rest of the nights had Midnight Delights in the Schooner bar and Viking Crown Lounge.

Why in the world did RCI change from the midnight Chocolate buffet to the Gala Buffet??? We were so disappointed on our last Navigator cruise as we took the whole family (3 cabins full) and NO CHOC Buffet. It was a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Gala buffet was nice, but the CHOC Buffet was AWESOME.:confused: :(

Personally I liked the gala better because I'm not much of a fan of chocolate but my girlfriend does totally agree with you. On our last cruise she even brought her "Feed me chocolate" T-shirt just for the occasion. She also was very dissapointed that it was a gala buffet now. Luckily there was chocolate also which made her happy almost instantly:p

The Midnight Gala Buffet has been on every single cruise I´ve been on. During the last couple of years they had added the Chocolate midnight buffet on another night.

From my experience I wouldn´t say the Gala Buffet has replaced the Chocolate Buffet as there always has been a Gala Buffet.:rolleyes:

I was on the 4nt Majesty a few weeks ago. The second night, there was a poolside buffet with a lot of meat, appetizers and different desserts (not sure if that's the Gala Buffet). The third night, there was a Dessert Buffet at the Windjammer. It wasn't just chocolate but there were still a lot of chocolatey desserts! ;)

:eek: eek...a chocolate norovirus fountain

LOL...Actually they had someone serving the chocolate on the last cruise I was on. You selected the desserts on a plate, went to the fountain and a worker was ladling the chocolate over your selections....YUMMY!!! Half of the chocolate desserts I've had at the late night buffets were dry or didn't taste so fresh. Just dump some chocolate on fruit and cheesecake and I am HAPPY!!:D

Just wondering, what is a gala buffet, and what is on it? My wife and have never gone to the mid-night buffet and promised we were going on our cruise in June, I hope we didn't miss something great by not ever going, though I think we did.

Here is a picture from our cruise:

IM000470.jpg.b53d7744f60f36cd547f20242d3ac519.jpg

You can never get enough chocolate. I must say that I was disappointed too on our February trip on Legend of the Seas. No chocolate buffet. You may have noticed too that there were a few nights that there seemed to be a chocolate void on the dessert menu in the dining room. I was so looking forward to the flourless chocolate cake:(

:eek: eek...a chocolate norovirus fountain

and can you imagine 3000 people crowding around a fountain? Talk about an oportunity for rudeness.

Then again, maybe that is something they can do on genesis. Have a reproduction of the Trevi fountain that spews out chocolate every night at midnight.

You can never get enough chocolate. I must say that I was disappointed too on our February trip on Legend of the Seas. No chocolate buffet. You may have noticed too that there were a few nights that there seemed to be a chocolate void on the dessert menu in the dining room. I was so looking forward to the flourless chocolate cake:(

Sadly, this thread is touching on an area of cruising that has changed over the years, mostly for the worse.....midnight buffets and chocolate!

Years ago, there was a midnight buffet every single night of the cruise--on any cruise line. It was an expected feature of cruising, with the Gala Buffet being the evening that the chefs spared no expense and went crazy with the quality of the food and the presentation---people would come early just to photograph this one.

Then RCCL reduced the midnight buffets to just two: the Gala Buffet and the Chocolate Buffet. It sounds as if the Chocolate Buffet is becoming extinct.

As for chocolate and the desserts in the main dining room---I am so deeply disappointed to see them so downgraded over the years. Yes, indeed Yuridog----a chocolate void is exactly what there is.

Chocolate is expensive, so therefore cut by the cost-cutting hatchet. A shame.

Leslie

Then RCCL reduced the midnight buffets to just two: the Gala Buffet and the Chocolate Buffet. It sounds as if the Chocolate Buffet is becoming extinct.

Leslie

Actually Rhapsody does a Pool side buffet at midnight one night, well technically it is 11pm.

I never made it to a chocolate or midnight buffet. I did go see them long enough to take photos but have yet to actually go to one. I do go to the pool one because usually it was on Key West night so when we got back we were ready to eat.

As for chocolate and the desserts in the main dining room---I am so deeply disappointed to see them so downgraded over the years. Yes, indeed Yuridog----a chocolate void is exactly what there is.

Chocolate is expensive, so therefore cut by the cost-cutting hatchet. A shame.

Leslie

When we were on Serenade I asked one of our dining room servers why we saw so little chocolate on the menu. She responded by saying that "chocolate wasn't so popular among the guest anymore, so they've cut way back."

Do you not like chocolate that well or is it just me? We should have a poll created for this one...

Mark

I agree. We were on ther Voyager in Jan and there was a midnight feast one night, but no chocolate buffet. I was on Norwegian a few years back and the chocolate buffet was amazing. That is the only thing I was disappointed about on my last cruise. It did not stop me from booking a B2B in Oct rthough :)

On our Southern Caribbean Cruise on RCL I don't believe there was a Chocolate Buffet. Does anybody know about the longer itineraries? We're doing Panama Canal on Brilliance and would like to see more chocolate. I've heard that if you're in a suite that they actually give you some chocolate covered strawberries every now and then. We're looking forward to that!

Mark

Archived