Booted from Zuiderdam - 1/15/05

Ralphpea

I have been informed that zuiderdam's 1/15/04 sailing has been chartered and my booking has been cancelled by HAL!

They said every cabin on the ship was chartered. Anybody else have this experience?

I personally haven't, but have heard others on not only HAL, but other cruise lines as well, having this happened to them. I think it stinks, I hope they give you some type of compensation for this.

It happened to me last year. I booked a Pacific NW cruise that ended up being chartered by an insurance co. as a reward trip for their agents. HAL offered me either a full refund or, for only $100 more, a 7-day Alaskan cruise. Guess which one I took? It all worked out for the best.

Roz

This does happen from time to time and while very disappointing for those effected, if there is adequate notice, I can see why they do it.

The part that annoys me the most when someone comes here and reports that happened to them is that IF one had booked their own air, HAL takes no responsibility for reimbursing air rebooking fees that we all know can be $100+ per ticket. I think regardless of who booked what air where/ with whom or any other expenses incurred due to HAL cancelling a passenger.....HAL should pay any expense the passenger incurs in order to become "whole". Pax should not be out money because of such a cancellation IMO but that is not always the case.

The part that annoys me the most when someone comes here and reports that happened to them is that IF one had booked their own air, HAL takes no responsibility for reimbursing air rebooking fees that we all know can be $100+ per ticket. I think regardless of who booked what air where/ with whom or any other expenses incurred due to HAL cancelling a passengers.....HAL should pay any expense the passenger incurs in order to become "whole". Pax should not be out money because of such a cancellation IMO ut that is not always the case.

That's why you should get travel insurance...

I'm surprised at what I'm reading. I also believe that HAL should offer compensation for items like air not booked through HAL. However, a couple of months ago the same issue came up on this board. One other person and I thought that HAL should pay the airline change fee and we almost got crucified for our view.

In reality, if I purchase air on my own and HAL has no role in the purchase (when they offered to do so) then it is a risk that I knowingly assume. That being said, Nordstrom, possibly the hands-down leader in customer service, has been known to take back a tire ... when they don't even sell tires ... in the name of customer service. They must feel it pays off for them in the long run.

In reality, if I purchase air on my own and HAL has no role in the purchase (when they offered to do so) then it is a risk that I knowingly assume. That being said, Nordstrom, possibly the hands-down leader in customer service, has been known to take back a tire ... when they don't even sell tires ... in the name of customer service. They must feel it pays off for them in the long run.
Great to know. The treads getting shallow on my Explorer. Hey, with the money I save on new tires I can pay for a few shore excursions.:D

I respectfully disagree that the passenger has any responsibility to have bought travel insurance in order to remain whole in the event HAL does the cancelling.

If the pax cancels, sure....it is the pax responsibility.

If HAL cancels, the same should apply.

HAL cancels....IMO they should make everyone whole.

Sail,

Where were you a month or two ago. I was one of two people making that argument, and we were in the minority. I agree, if HAL cancels the cruise because it's to their financial benefit to charter out the ship, then the PAX with reservations should not suffer any financial hardship, no matter how minor, for HAL's financial gain.

I argued that even if they have no legal reason to reimburse PAX, they should still do so for good customer relations. I know that if I were bumped off a cruise without adequate compensation I would never sail that line again. That's not the way any business should treat a customer. Was I flamed for that attitude.

I vaguely remember the thread you are referencing but somehow it seems to me there was a slight twist to the facts of that matter that made it slightly different. I am not clear about it and do not accurately recall the facts.

I vaguely remember the thread you are referencing but somehow it seems to me there was a slight twist to the facts of that matter that made it slightly different. I am not clear about it and do not accurately recall the facts.
From what I remember it was a cruise cancelled about 4 to 6 months out due to the ship being chartered. I'll try searching for it.

I respectfully disagree that the passenger has any responsibility to have bought travel insurance in order to remain whole in the event HAL does the cancelling.

If you feel that HAL caused you to suffer financially, you can contact them and ask them to "make you whole", if they say no then you can sue. Or, you can get travel insurance and let the insurance company sue should they feel the need. Me, I'd rather not have to pay the lawyer....

You buy your air with Holland. They cancel. Can you still keep your air and do a land vacation? You just get reimbursed for the cruise portion. I'm going on a cruise school vacation week in February. Flights are very expensive. Holland was cheaper. As long as I was somewhere warm I would be satisfied. Just wondering.

Karen

Does travel insurance cover the airfare for this type of cancellation?

Even if they do, the cost of travel insurance may be more than the $50 - $100 fee to rebook the air at another time.

My wife and I have been on 14 cruises. We only buy the medical insurance which is very reasonable. The money I have saved on cancellation insurance is probably more than enough to pay for an entire cruise if I ever have to cancel. Definitely more than enough to pay for rebooking airline reservations.

Does travel insurance cover the airfare for this type of cancellation?

Mine certainly does.

The money I have saved on cancellation insurance is probably more than enough to pay for an entire cruise if I ever have to cancel. Definitely more than enough to pay for rebooking airline reservations.

Peace of mind means more to me then a few dollars one way or the other.

I can't argue with your premise that peace of mind is worth the money spend on travel insurance.

I look at it another way. If I ever had to cancel a cruise due to sickness or death (mine or close relative), the cost of the cruise would be the least of my worries.

In a situation like that, privately purchased trip insurance would pay the change fee on the air tickets....but you then have to turn around and buy another policy because you are now taking a different cruise. The HAL insurance would not cover change fees. Absolutley, HAL should make it right. They should pay for the changes in air tickets, they should get the passenger on a similar cruise at the same rate(what if this person booked a year ago at the lowest early fare and to rebook the following week is now $500 more. HAL should remake the arrangements at no charge to the passenger.

On my very first cruise with Holland America, in April of 1998, we had booked a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise. About 6 weeks before the sailing, we were contacted by our TA and informed that the cruise was "overbooked". They asked if we could go on the sailing 2 weeks later. We had booked an inside cabin.

It is fortunate that we could change the date of our vacation. They gave us 4 category upgrade and refunded 75% of our fare. I know that may be ancient history but at that time we were very pleased that we could cruise for a low amount of money...

Just one person's experience.

I think they (meaning all cruiselines who do this) should do something for those who placed a deposit on a cruise only to have it chartered out. The deposit is like a contract for goods and services. Unfortunately the cruiselines put in their brochures all that fine print that says "we can do whatever we want to and change the cruise or cancel it". To create goodwill it would be good business to offer some sort of compensation. After all, the cruiseline is making money on the charter cruise above what they would have made as a regularly scheduled cruise. I guess the cruiseline thinks 4-6 months notice is ample time for people to make other arrangements. The least they could do is offer shipboard credit to cover the airfare changes on future bookings.

Archived