request a certain table?

npeters

Sorry I asked. I think I'll move on to another message board where maybe people are friendlier.
There are a lot of nice people on this board who are willing to share information.

As you can see from some other posts, not everyone is selfish with their information. Give it another try and welcome to the board.:)

On the smaller HAL ships, such as the Maasdam, we agree with you, jean- loved the upper level forward area around the rail and near the musicians. Either port or starboard is fine; 71, 73, 75 or 70, 72, 74 would be our preferences. We had 74 and loved it. These are ALL great tables for 2 (assuming that is what you and BF want) and a wonderful area to be.

I believe bookworm had asked about the Vista ships though. We still would like the upper level forward rail area, particularly since the dining room is so large. There are a number of tables at the forward railing that look great- port 84 especially, like KK said, and there are others. We were on the rail but further back on the Oosterdam and would prefer the forward area, port or starboard. I'm sure your TA can get a layout and advise you.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide and don't think getting just one particular table is going to make or break your cruise. That's just silly.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide and don't think getting just one particular table is going to make or break your cruise. That's just silly.

It does sound silly.

I have to assume sail7seas is not going to answer my question on how it would impact their enjoyment. So be it.

Just imagine if everyone on a cruise took this approach. You could have 1400 + people hounding the maitre’d with "We have a real preference and it REALLY would impact our enjoyment if we were not assigned there.” And if the maitre’d ask how, Because it is what we like; it is how we like it; it is how we want it. Kind of reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum or a bad TV commercial.

Hi Bookworm: Welcome to the board. I can't help on table numbers, but I bet any table would be fine with most guests. I think you find out your number when you first get onboard. You could go peek at the location, and if you really don't care for the space, perhaps the maitre'd could reassign you before the first meal that evening.

I think sometimes, if someone isn't comfortable posting information, its better to just not post anymore to the thread, or otherwise ignore the question. At least for me it is easier to 'think' someone didn't happen to see my question than to read something that might hurt my feelings.

I think sometimes, if someone isn't comfortable posting information, its better to just not post anymore to the thread, or otherwise ignore the question. At least for me it is easier to 'think' someone didn't happen to see my question than to read something that might hurt my feelings.

You are correct, stillfrantic. I agree with you. It is excellent advice and I shall follow it. Thank you for your excellent recommendation. I certainly do no wish to hurt anyone's feelings.

Perhaps the way S7S said it seemed a bit harsh, but I agree with her that she has no obligation to share the information since she does cruise a lot and might be less likely to have her preference after sharing the table number. There is a limited number of tables for two. Also, she does not need to defend her reasons for having a preference.

Bookworm, you are welcome on this board and we will certainly answer your questions as best we can. Perhaps after you read more posts you will have a better sense of the personalities of the responders. I don't believe S7S' intent was to hurt your feelings.

You need to be aware that if your planned holiday cruise is for 2004, you may have a problem having a specific table request honored at this late date.

Well, I'm glad I chose to take a look back here. 2ofus, I've been reading cruise message boards, including this one, for a long time and am well aware of personalities.

All I did was ask a question. The person I asked was not uncomfortable with the question, whatever that means, certainly was not obligated to answer, and I didn't ask her to defend anything. She was more than honest saying that she was being selfish not divulging the table #. But that didn't hurt my feelings. What's with that? Obviously she wouldn't answer the question for anybody, not just me, though it's hard to believe that posting a table # here would have such dire consequences.

There were many people here who did choose to provide some great information and I thank them very much. I will take your opinions to my TA who does have the layouts and a great relationship with HA and go from there.

I went to the HAL website and sent an email. I requested the seating map for the Volendam and gave them my FAX number. In a couple of days it arrived and I sent a new email requesting a specific table. The next day, they sent me a reply indicating they would make an effort to meet my request. In this type of customer service area, HAL is the best! enjoy! Kel

I do have to wonder what first time cruisers think about some of the questions and answers on this board - is not going on vacation supposed to be a change of pace; an adventure; experiencing new things?

Anyone 'insisting' on the same table seems to me to be a very 'staid, set in their ways' kind of person - no wonder some new cruisers label HAL as the 'seniors cruise boat'! My table, your table, smacks of retirement home residents' talk. :eek:

I do have to wonder what first time cruisers think about some of the questions and answers on this board - is not going on vacation supposed to be a change of pace; an adventure; experiencing new things?

Anyone 'insisting' on the same table seems to me to be a very 'staid, set in their ways' kind of person - no wonder some new cruisers label HAL as the 'seniors cruise boat'! My table, your table, smacks of retirement home residents' talk. :eek:

I don't mean to start WW IV (we have already had WW III on this board) but at age 49 I certainly don't think I am ready for a retirment home but I happen to agree with the wanting of a certain table. Our last 2 cruises we were located at an Aft table next to the window. This has become our very favorite spot. When we boarded the Oosterdam and found out we were seated where we requested we were so THRILLED. Yes, it would of diminished our cruise, we were looking so forward to this location. We have requested it on our upcoming 3 cruises. Since we booked a considerable time in advance and we are becoming frequent HAL cruisers I would like to think they want to accomadate my request. If the seating at a specific area is part of the cruise experience that one looks forward to then it can put a damper on the cruise. The person who commented it a very private person and in this day and age some times we have to be. She does make it known when and what cruise she is going on so if someone out there had her table number they could easily find her on the cruise also. I did not take her comment as rude just that she would rather not say.

Wow, I'm beginning to wish I didn't start this thread. Thank you to those of you who gave info on how to request a certain table and where/what numbers in their opinion were noteworthy tables, but I think I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread......

Wow, I'm beginning to wish I didn't start this thread....

Not to worry, some people thrive on controversy. I personnally don't care which table I get as long as its a table for 2. Last time out (on the Volendam) we got a very nice table, sized for 4 but laid for 2. Lots of room for everything. That's nicer than any particular location. Of course, we generally choose late seating so, unless we're in Alaska, there's no way to see out the window anyway! :)

:) Linda - E

You didn't mention which ship you will be on?

The table numbers are different on the various "R", "S", and Vista ships.

:)

Sorry, that was dumb of me! We are on the Westerdam. Not sure if we will be on upper or lower dining room; still talking with fellow travelers about dining times. But there are 8 or 10 of us; would love a good table.

Thanks so much,

Linda

I If the seating at a specific area is part of the cruise experience that one looks forward to then it can put a damper on the cruise.
Sitting in a particular area is entirely different. Many people have a preference, upper, lower, front, back. Not getting a particular table is another ball game.

How can it put a damper on your cruise?

The person who commented it a very private person and in this day and age some times we have to be. She does make it known when and what cruise she is going on so if someone out there had her table number they could easily find her on the cruise also.
This was not the reason given. It sounds like you are saying she would not give the table number out because she does not want people to find her. Either this is pure speculation or you have first hand knowledge of this.

If this was pure speculation I don’t see why someone would post something like this.

If it is first hand knowledge, heaven forbid someone would stop by the table to say hello.

Archived