Cosmetic Carry All

JanetMarie

Hi girls!

Do you have the same habit that I do? I will be in TAR GEAAA and see a cosmetic bag that I simply have to have. And then I will see one on QVC, and then I will see one in Filene's...well, you get the idea. I have this collection of cosmetic bags!!!!! I'm just curious :rolleyes: :rolleyes: where do you gals get your cosmetic bags and do you have any web sites to share with me? I guess I collect them and I'm looking for more! ;) ;) ;)

Along with other obsessions, I happen to love cosmetic bags. Then, I feel like I have to fill them. I have bags from the cheapest (and freebies) to the more costly designer cosmetic bags. Then, there are the clear ones I use for travel, in case I am chosen to be the inspected one. Fortunatly, last weekend my daughter was shopping with me, she is much more sensible than I. As I was admiring the on sale cosmetic bags at Nordstroms last day of the Anniversary sale, she mentioned that I did, indeed, not need yet another cosmetic bag. If only she were with me on all my shopping adventures.

Do you know in what I store my daily cosmetics and some makeup? In a tool chest!!! I knew you would laugh!

It seems weird but I think it's perfect because it doesn't take up too much room in the bathroom closet and when I need it, everything is there.

First level, I have all the small stuff like makeup, and underneath I have all bigger stuff like bottles. I think it is so easy and I don't have all those things taking so much place on the counter or the shelves. Sometimes when I travel, I simply put the tool chest in the suitcase and I know I have everything (I only need to add soap and shampoo) but sometimes I take a cosmetic bag, depending how much cosmectic, makeup, etc. I need to bring and depending if I have samples bottles or not.

My ex-boyfriend I moved with once was wondering why there was a tool box in the bathroom closet!!!

Oh geez, I'm also guilty. I have too many cosmetic bags and travel cases. I've gotten them as gifts, freebies, in stores and online. Then often when I pack I'm in a hurry and end up using zip-lock bags! LOL!!!

However, one important think I learned about cosmetic bags with a zipper on top, is that sometimes the zipper is put in in a way where there's a hole between the body and the zipper. I've had shampoo spill out of it. When you buy one that is zippered, make sure that when zippered closed there are no gaping holes for liquid or small items to fall through.

Jane

I think I'm relatively free of this obsession! Thankfully!

Guess I should start by explaining that my make up is mostly Bare Escentuals. In June QVC had a TSV which included a cute little traincase with a removable plastic insert (open square bottom with fold out trays). I have most of my foundation, eye shadows and blushes in the insert sitting on my counter. The traincase I use for eye liners, mascara, and lip stuff.

For day-to-day stuff I carry an expandle case from Bare Escentuals (works well with their sizes / shapes).

For travel I have an Everything Bag that I use as my carry-on. It's got a detachable section that I load up with my makeup and the rest of my toiletries fit in the bag itself. Don't recall the item number, but if you're interested, I'll look it up.

You girls crack me up! I loved reading each of your posts from drippy shampoo coming out of the zipper, to tool chest storage, to you name it! Phew! I thought I was the only one that "collected" these cosmetic bags.

One of the things that I bought from QVC is some cosmetic line (name slips my mind) because quite honestly, I purchased the cosmetics ONLY for the black doctor's bag they came in. It's a beauty of a black doc bag...have you girls seen it? I think the line is Percone or something like that. If you get the chance, scout it out on QVC. Imagine buying cosmetics only for the bag??? Send help!!! ;)

My DH maintains that the kitchen sink would weigh less than my cosmetics bag(s) when I travel. At home I have a very long drawer customized with plastic inserts and three additional deep drawers for my "stuff". When I travel I have a choice of cosmetic bags, most of them are freebies. On my last trip I used a Lancome bag with lots of different compartments. As for my shampoos and creams, etc. I pour the liquids into small bottles which I place into zip lock bags. On more than one occasion I have had spillage.

jp2001, no laughing here, I have considered the tool chest thing myself. The only thing that has stopped me is my bathroom cabinet is not deep enough. I've even looked at craft totes, with all the little organizer compartments. Maybe I should move my bottles to the cabinet over the commode, then I would have room under the sink for the tool chest....hmmmmm, you got me thinking now!

I've been thinking of the tool chest for costume jewelry, too. I have so many beaded medallions and bracelets, they don't really fit into jewelry boxes. If only they made some more feminie looking. Any ideas on this????

jp2001, no laughing here, I have considered the tool chest thing myself. The only thing that has stopped me is my bathroom cabinet is not deep enough. I've even looked at craft totes, with all the little organizer compartments. Maybe I should move my bottles to the cabinet over the commode, then I would have room under the sink for the tool chest....hmmmmm, you got me thinking now!

I've been thinking of the tool chest for costume jewelry, too. I have so many beaded medallions and bracelets, they don't really fit into jewelry boxes. If only they made some more feminie looking. Any ideas on this????

Another good idea would be a fishing chest then because some are smaller than tool chests but usually have many compartments.

JanetMarie - I have the same little black doctor bag. It's from Dr. Perricone. I've never used the bag, but did use the contents - lol! :)

I have tons of cosmetic bags also. BUT, the absolute, best bag for traveling (and, believe me, I've purchased many) is the Everything Bag from QVC - F29380 - $23.25. Iszu agrees!

I recently used it for 3 days in Philadelphia and 5 days in NY. There is space for everything. I take LOTS of cosmetics/toiletries and it holds them all. There's a hook for hanging and separate cosmetic and jewelry cases. This is definitely the best travel bag I own. It has a carry handle and a shoulder strap. There are many zippers, so you don't have to open the whole thing if you need something from a particular area. ;)

Just received a Departures toiletries bag for DH - F9210. He travels with the bare minimum, but that old dop kit has got to go! Besides, this new one has a hook for hanging also. Hate when the bathroom countertop is cluttered with our stuff when we travel.

I think the tool chest is a fabulous idea. Years ago I used to use a fishing tackle box. Worked great!

Some of these fashion threads are soooo funny! :D

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Hi girls:) I am one of those simple gals LOL....I have one cosmetic bag...and one bag for toiletries.....thats it. I am one of those people who doesn't wear a lot of make up and that is fine with me.

I have another bag for my jewelery (but I don't really consider it a cosmetic bag).

So I guess that would be 3 bags...they are all I need......I don't go shopping for cosmetic cases or bags.....I will leave that for those of you who love those items.

I love my Mary Kay Roll Up Travel Bag. It has several clear plastic zippered compartments that remove (velcro, gotta love it!). It has a hanger so you can hang it up too. It was great on my last cruise, but is a little much for just a weekend trip. On a daily basis I just have a large shallow drawer for make up in my bathroom cabinets.

Natalie

Karen - yes! That is the name of the doc bag - Perricone.

I, too, do not wear a lot of makeup. For work, I wear an eyeliner on my upper lid, mascara and lipstick. No foundation, no blush, no eye shadow. In my cosmetic bag that I first posted about, I carry my cold creams, deoderant, toothpaste, minor makeup, etc. Hi Lois!!! ;)

Madelinerose - Yes, I love my everything bag! That's not the one I have, but I know the one you mean! I've even given them as gifts. My DH has the Everything Bag shaving kit. He likes that it's got its own hanger.

Hahaha! I didn't mean to make myself sound like I wear makeup that's an inch thick!:D

I use more than one moisturizer and I like to make sure I have different colors when I travel, so I take enough to "cover" all the bases. During the day I wear a tinted moisturizer, mascara and lipstick. I HAVE to have lipstick.

If I was ever stranded on a desert island, the 3 things I would want to have with me other than food/water : 1. Lipstick 2. My precious dog or my DH - ha! 3. Some good music.

Later, girls!

I have one of those Mary Kay roll up bags too! I bought it on ebay a few months ago & it's wonderful! I don't carry a lot of make but this has room for my stuff & hubbys, plus it's clear so you can see where everything is.

Karen

I'll have to check the Mary Kay line out, for that cosmetic bag. ;) Just another one to add to my collection. Maybe some day I'll be able to group them all together and put them on ebay! :eek:

ON NO!!!! Look out...JanetMarie is at it again - LOL LOL LOL :D :D :D ! I love it!

Janet - you are hysterical! :D You'll never sell them on ebay! You'd feel naked!

Check out my reply on the TargeAAAA thread.

Karen and Iszu - I'm serious! I need to purchase that MK bag! ;)

Could I ever ebay them????? No! You know that I can't!!! ;)

Hi...hope you don't mind me chiming in with a great idea.

Have you ever purchased a window or bedding item that comes in a small zippered bag that has a small "hanger" like hook on it?

These make the best to use in ship/hotel bathrooms. Just make sure toilet seat is down!!! Easy to hang on the towel racks and since its clear plastic, you can see at a glance your combs, brushes, everything . I travel with 2 of them that I never unpack. I got tired of always taking everything out of my bathroom, so I bought everything to make my kits and I just toss it in the carry-on...done!

Hope you find this helpful....it really works for me.

Arizona, yes! Tar GEAAA sells them. And you know how us girls on these boards love, love, love a bargain. I just told DH at breakfast that we need to do errands tonight, and yes, Tar GEAAA is one of our stops. ;)

Lots of sales on the end aisles, don't forget, ladies!:p :p :p

DD just gave me the Mary Kay roll-up bag for my b-day with lots of goodies in it! It's awesome. It's hanging on the back of my bathroom door right now. I too love the fact that each of the 4 compartments velcros off. Dh loves less clutter on the counter! I have waaay too many small cosmetic bags (esp all the Lancome freebies) but this is the first time I can carry my makeup, skincare, nail products all in one. Still need that big ziplock for shampoo & bath items though.

Archived