lunch attire for Alaska??

island lady

I see a lot of the usual threads about dinner attire, but I am wondering about attire for lunch in the dining room on the Alaska cruise.

I am used to other lines and doing the tropical thing with floral shirts and dress shorts for lunch on the Carib cruises, but this will be my first on HAL and first for Alaska.

Or perhaps there is no lunch offered in the dining room? Just the lido?

I know the PG offers lunch.

I won't of course be bringing the tropical attire for the Alaska cruise, and I am all set for the casual/informal/formal evenings, just stumped on the lunches.

Would that be dress slacks and blazers? Or jeans and sweaters?

Cheers! :)

You do not need to wear dress slacks and a blazer for lunch in the dining room. It is my recollection that there might be some port days where lunch isn't even served in the dining room, but only in the Lido. When we were in Alaska, there was a heat wave and it was over 90 degrees every day. Everyone was in shorts. I only brought two pairs with me( I did check on the net to see the weather before we left). However, in normal Alaska weather, I would think a pair of pants and a sweater would be fine.

Thanks, Carol.

I read that jeans were not allowed in the dining room at anytime. I was assuming most people were in jeans and sweaters, versus the shorts and tropical shirts on the Southern cruises, during the day at both sea days and port days.

So I thought I would have to change into something nicer for lunch. Though I have all the time in the world to do it and that does not bother me, I am worried about my already overpacked situation with 3 changes of clothing a day. Cold weather clothes do take up a bit more room, and of course the climate changes will have us changing more often too.

Thanks for the heads up to bring the shorts! One more thing to add...yikes!

:eek:

I see a lot of the usual threads about dinner attire, but I am wondering about attire for lunch in the dining room on the Alaska cruise.
Lunch in the dining room is really no different than lunch in the Lido. Even if you lunch in the Pinnacle you won't see blazers - just collared shirts and khakis or dress slacks for men, and an equivalent level of casual for women.

I always have one pair of shorts for the gym. No need to bring them if you check out the weather before you go. We just happened to hit an unusual heat wave. We had friends with us who live in Florida and came to Alaska to escape the heat. It was very unusual and they called it a weather alert on the net.

So jeans in dining room at breakfast and lunch are fine? Or by pants, do you mean khakis or cords only?

Yes, jeans are fine in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. You will even see jeans in the evening in the dining room on casual nights on the Alaska cruises. Here is a link to HAL's website explaining the dress code.

It is rare to see shorts in the dining for lunch on an Alaskan cruise. Has to be really hot outside - and we have been there when it was hot.

Most people wear slacks and blouses and shirts and sweaters. Some will even wear light jackets if they are just getting ready to leave for a tour.

Yes, jeans are fine in the dining room at breakfast and lunch. You will even see jeans in the evening in the dining room on casual nights on the Alaska cruises. Here is a link to HAL's website explaining the dress code.

Thanks, Mom! :)

I did pull up that website, which then lead me to post this question. On the website they say "no jeans in the dining room at anytime"....which made me wonder about lunch/breakfast times at port or during the glacier cruising...brrr....

I was planning on nice jeans and a sweater over layers for port days, and wondered if I had to change into something nicer for coming back to the ship for lunch.

Thanks also to everyone else that posted! I am really excited about this first time with HAL and my first time to Alaska! :D

No docs yet, but will hopefully be dancing soon!

I was planning on nice jeans and a sweater over layers for port days, and wondered if I had to change into something nicer for coming back to the ship for lunch.

Except that usually the dining room doesn't open for lunch on port days. You'll need to choose from eating ashore, the Lido/terrace grill, or room service.

The dining room is usually open for lunch on sea days, however.

Except that usually the dining room doesn't open for lunch on port days. You'll need to choose from eating ashore, the Lido/terrace grill, or room service.

The dining room is usually open for lunch on sea days, however.

Thanks Ruth!

Archived