I'm starting to think RCL's itineraries are tired.

i-m-ed

This thread is really making me think! I'm a Diamond Plus member with 35 cruises with RCI and I have to admit I'm not all about these big ships. I prefer the Radiance class over the Voyager class and have been on the Freedom (preinaugural) and am going on the Liberty next month (preinaugural). I wouldn't book a Freedom class ship as I just think they're just too big for me, but great for families and wonderful for kids.

I have probably been in St. Thomas and St. Martin at least 20 times. I have been in St. Kitts, Grenada and St. Barths once only because the Empress did the 11 night sailings to those places in the winter the last few years. Empress will be gone next March and I don't know if RCI will offer those ports in the future or if there is any ship small enough to get in. Empress was also small enough to get into all three ports in Bermuda.

DH lived in Europe for a while and has already said it is some place you want to go and spend time, not one day in port, so the European cruises aren't something we're looking for. We've done the Panama Canal and Hawaii, both twice. We've done the Mexican Riviera.

I would love to see Turks & Caicos and St. Vincent and some of the smaller islands in the Caribbean. I like the two Princess itineraries posted and I have to admit, I'm starting to consider changing lines just to go places I want to see. I tried Celebrity once and didn't care for it, but unfortunately it was on the Horizon. I agree, I think RCI better start paying attention. I think they're going to lose a lot of us if their focus is only on getting bigger and bigger ships and not pay more attention to their itineraries.

Cruises aren't a way to see ANY location in depth, but they are nice for sampling a variety of new places. .......

You are absolutely right but if I were to travel to Europe I would want to do more than just sample the fare. Would be like going to Disney and not riding anything.

You are absolutely right but if I were to travel to Europe I would want to do more than just sample the fare. Would be like going to Disney and not riding anything.

As someone who goes to Disney theme parks several times a year - I know that one can go on quite a few rides in one day!

As for Europe - you certainly can't experience much of a country in one day, but you can see a few highlights of one port in a day. How else could one visit cities in Spain, France, Italy, and maybe Greece on one trip so economically? (Or in my post above - the Scandinavian capitals plus 2 days in St. Petersburg, Russia.) It would cost a small fortune to fly to each of those cities on your own. You can always return to the areas you liked best - spending several weeks in Italy, for instance.

...People have been complaining about RCI itineraries for years and nothing has been done. The vast majority of people that go ashore in Jamaica say they hate the place and have complained bitterly to RCI, but RCI still goes there.

Ah, but the key is people still get off the boat, and go do things. Even if it's all first timers, the island is still popular enough for the cruise line to continue to stop there.

As is always the case, the best thing to do is to vote with your wallet.

And when people consistantly pack these ships, they are voting with their wallet to continue to go to these ports. I don't know what the normal occupancy is of these ships, but if they are at 95% - 100% filled, it's pretty clear that there's enough people that do like Jamaica, or are willing to put up with the port as there's enough other ports on the trip that they DO want to visit.

Personally, I wasn't too fond of Jamaica myself. There's more than enough other ports in the caribbean that RCI could stop someplace else. Because they continue to stop there can mean that the 'silent majority' still enjoys it.

The itins leaving from DR are nice but bet the RT airfare is very steep, plus the pre-cruise hotel night. . Maybe n the future the big ships can just stay at sea & the R class & smaller can actually go to the ports--We are really tired of the W carib itins --only place we did not get to is Belize due to a cancelled trip-- other than that not much choice is abvailable so can;t fault the cruise line..As for the rest of the Carib we will be looking at some of the other ports on other lines...

The itins leaving from DR are nice but bet the RT airfare is very steep, plus the pre-cruise hotel night. . Maybe n the future the big ships can just stay at sea & the R class & smaller can actually go to the ports--We are really tired of the W carib itins --only place we did not get to is Belize due to a cancelled trip-- other than that not much choice is abvailable so can;t fault the cruise line..As for the rest of the Carib we will be looking at some of the other ports on other lines...

I just tried to book to see what the cost of airfare is and couldn't because RCL does not offer air to DR from my departure city. I live in a fairly large city and nearest airport is 2 1/2 hrs away.

Edit: reworked with air from next nearest city. With air $5284 for 3, without air $2557 for 3 ($909 pp for air OUCH!!) I might consider Tahiti for that price.

I totally agree with the Thread Starter, I need a new place to visit! We did the Freedom last year and are now doing the identical route on the Liberty. We can travel only in the summer so we can't take advantage of the Southern Caribbean itineraries that are offerred only in the winter. I agree with the Poster that wants St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, Tobago etc. I need those too! I am currently looking at Princess for Summer 2008

Count us amongst those that cruise for the ship, not the ports...We enjoy the Eastern better than the Western itinerary but at this point go "For the Ship" and the chance to meet new people who become cruising buddies, and lifelong friends...RCI's benefits can't be beat the perks are wonderful as you climb the C&A ladder...Later, Jill:cool:

image.php?u=25407&type=sigpic&dateline=1176215136

I just tried to book to see what the cost of airfare is and couldn't because RCL does not offer air to DR from my departure city. I live in a fairly large city and nearest airport is 2 1/2 hrs away.

Edit: reworked with air from next nearest city. With air $5284 for 3, without air $2557 for 3 ($909 pp for air OUCH!!) I might consider Tahiti for that price.

We have a reading of 404 from Phoniex to DR. We are just looking at Dec now, and will have to wait until june 1st for the real deal for 16 & 23 Mar 08. The hotels are dirt cheap on Hotwire and Hotels.com So far we have seen hotels in the 80-100 range. Let me know what you come up with.. Thanks:)

As someone who goes to Disney theme parks several times a year - I know that one can go on quite a few rides in one day!

As for Europe - you certainly can't experience much of a country in one day, but you can see a few highlights of one port in a day. How else could one visit cities in Spain, France, Italy, and maybe Greece on one trip so economically? (Or in my post above - the Scandinavian capitals plus 2 days in St. Petersburg, Russia.) It would cost a small fortune to fly to each of those cities on your own. You can always return to the areas you liked best - spending several weeks in Italy, for instance.

Hi Nancy, hope you are doing well. Without a doubt, the Med. and Baltic cruises we have taken were fantastic. WE do not have the time, money, or energy to experience all of those great cities and ports by land. Many of the ports, 1 day is fine with us. That being said, I felt sorry for the people having only 1 day in a city like Florence which we had experienced for 4 days years before. It takes about that long to stand in line for David.

For those who like cruising and want to see some countries 'in depth' there are river cruises and barge cruises. On our first trip to Europe I wanted the wine country in France by river barge - DH wanted Italy on tour. We combined a Burgundy - Tuscany trip. We decided that the 'bus' tours we not for us.

So on our next trip we did a riverboat from Budapest to Amsterdam. I wish I planned more time in Budapest before the cruise. So if we ever get around to European repeats we will go back to Hungary.

We are doing a Baltic June 2007 on the Constellation. That cruise seems to cover many places that we might want to revisit.

And yes the Caribbean ports do get repetititive. But what about us West Coasters - we get Alaska or Mexico. So now we keep looking for 'fun additions' - the Whodunit cruises to Mexico. Maybe DH will sign up for a poker cruise one of these days. December we are off on the mahjongg cruise so I have a little extra entertainment on board Eastern Caribbean.

We like the RCI cruises - RCCL mostly - with Celebrity for the longer trips.

I'm really disappointed with both the prices and iteneraries that were released today.

We usually have to sail in early April and July and I really think the Caribbean iteneraries are terribly tired. They have been sailing the same Western Caribbean iteneraries ever since Voyager was introduced and although Explorer had a nice one, they no longer have Explorer based in Miami. Adventure has been doing the same iteneraries with the same ports of call since she was launched as has Mariner with the exception of Cococay (whoopee, not).

I don't think you can beat Royal Caribbean's ships, but seeing that both Liberty and Freedom's Eastern Caribbean iteneraries are going for $1350 P/P in an INSIDE CABIN :eek: , looks like we may be branching out and trying other lines. Hate to say it, but I think Royal Caribbean is getting a little too big for their breeches.

I don't think you can beat Royal Caribbean's ships, but seeing that both Liberty and Freedom's Eastern Caribbean iteneraries are going for $1350 P/P in an INSIDE CABIN :eek: , looks like we may be branching out and trying other lines. Hate to say it, but I think Royal Caribbean is getting a little too big for their breeches.

If the ships are full and they're selling cabins at that price, why would they even THINK about changing itineraries? What kind of a business changes things when they're selling more then they can make? :confused:

Here's my take on the matter. If you're tired of the itineraries, you've cruised TOO much. Not many people have and that's why RCL isn't changing. Sorry to say, but they don't care about you...:(

EDIT - and yes, I AM jealous. ;)

If the ships are full and they're selling cabins at that price, why would they even THINK about changing itineraries? What kind of a business changes things when they're selling more then they can make? :confused:

Here's my take on the matter. If you're tired of the itineraries, you've cruised TOO much. Not many people have and that's why RCL isn't changing. Sorry to say, but they don't care about you...:(

Well the past year, Voyager ships dropped in prices from what I saw. Maybe if they changed their routes some they wouldn't have had too. This year the rates jumped up on all Voyager and the 2 Freedom ships. I will be curious about how well they do and how fast they sell out. Freedom and Liberty have nearly identical itineraries out of the same port so I don't see how they can attract many repeat customers. Completely boring and you are right, could care less about their frequent cruisers. I for one are not a frequent cruiser but I have no desire to go to the same ports each cruise I go on. If I choose western with RCCL, it is a guarantee I go to Caymans, Cozumel, Jamaica and Labadee. There is no other itinerary. If I choose Eastern, they all have St Thomas and St Maarten. If I choose the two southern caribbean offers they STILL have St. Thomas and St. Maarten. :mad: It takes only two 7 night carribean cruises with RCCL to start overlapping ports. That is ridiculous.

I've taken four RCI cruises, and now have three on the books. I'm "branching out" by going on a Vision class, rather than a Voyager class. And I'm going to a port I'd otherwise never see, and seeing ports I wouldn't think of with Grandeurs 9 day trip up north. I'll return to the Caribbean January 08, and having done that as much as I have, I'll relax more. No rush to get to Cozumel, I know I'll be back. No rush to do anything, I enjoy it all, and can focus on doing something, be it reading, sitting in a hot tub, or whatever, without worrying about missing something. I know I'll be doing it again.

Like I said, the ports will evolve, things will improve. Its just the nature of things. Until they do, it seems like a nice invitation to spread out to directions you haven't gone in before.

As for prices on Liberty? Not shocking, the newer ships always cost more.

Well the past year, Voyager ships dropped in prices from what I saw. Maybe if they changed their routes some they wouldn't have had too. This year the rates jumped up on all Voyager and the 2 Freedom ships. I will be curious about how well they do and how fast they sell out. Freedom and Liberty have nearly identical itineraries out of the same port so I don't see how they can attract many repeat customers. Completely boring and you are right, could care less about their frequent cruisers. I for one are not a frequent cruiser but I have no desire to go to the same ports each cruise I go on. If I choose western with RCCL, it is a guarantee I go to Caymans, Cozumel, Jamaica and Labadee. There is no other itinerary. If I choose Eastern, they all have St Thomas and St Maarten. If I choose the two southern caribbean offers they STILL have St. Thomas and St. Maarten. :mad: It takes only two 7 night carribean cruises with RCCL to start overlapping ports. That is ridiculous.

It isn't that they don't care about their frequent cruisers (and if you are a frequent cruiser you should be aware that the itineraries are more varied than are being described), it is just that they are making business decisions on which ships and itineraries will attract the MOST passengers, whether "frequent", "infrequent" or brand new cruisers. If their itineraries weren't appealing enough to fill the ships, rest assured that they would change them.

There are a lot of factors which go into deciding what ships to place on what itineraries, and much of a cruiseline's success depends on how well they take ALL those factors into consideration. There are very good reasons that they visit St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Jamaica, Cozumel++ and Grand Cayman. Those are all ports of call high on passengers' lists of places to visit, and yes, revisit. :)While I am sure that they would like to offer itineraries that you find new or refreshing, their highest priority is to offer itineraries that will attract the most passengers. To the extent that those itineraries don't attract you, it only matters if a majority of their potential audience agrees with you. The very fact that they are sailing with full ships on itineraries that you find old hat would seem to justify their decisions.:rolleyes:

My advice - stop cruising the Carribean. How about Alaska, the Mediterranean, the Baltic or even west coast Mexico for a change?

Some of Oceania's 2008 European cruises announced March 15 were sold out by April 1! Pent up demand for something different I'd say. So you are not alone.

Not sure how long you have been cruising with RCI but the Liberty and Freedom as following basically the exact same routes that the Voyager and Explorer sailed when they were new and guess what, RCI sailed with two full ships on that itinerary. The statement you made about RCI not caring about their frequent cruisers is totally incorrect. RCI will soon be placing their 21st ship into service and there are plenty of itineraries to choose from. One just has to look. All of those Voyager class ships that were sailing from Miami are now being moved elsewhere.

Their Caribbean cruises are just far too similar. But they do fill up and if that's what's selling for them - why would they change it??

We are doing Western route next year. I've done Cozumel on another line but otherwise, we haven't done Jamaica, Cayman, or Labadee yet.

But while planning... we already knew we wanted to do western, it really did come down to ship and departure port.

After we do the western route, we are planning to do the southern. I would love to do it aboard Serenade (I think that's the one I saw), even though AOS is a Voyager class. We like the Voyager class but we don't have to have all the extra toys and newness to enjoy the cruise.

After that... well, that's basically it for RCs Caribbean cruises - at least for port offerings.

We're not all that interested in Alaska any time soon... and I agree about Europe - rail or backpacking is the way to go.

But I've got 5 different cruiseline brochures sitting here and they have some options that RC doesn't have which interest me... it's just demographics. Each line takes a gamble on who their customers are and what they prefer. None of these lines seems to be losing at this game:)

Does RCCL not visit Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Tortola, Montego Bay, Grank Turk/Caicos, Calica, Key West, etc? From what I've seen listed here, the pickings are pretty slim...

Half Moon Cay is owned by HAL so RCI would not visit. They do go to San Juan and have ships sailing from there also. They also go to Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Coz, Costa Maya, Belize, Key West, two of their own private islands and many other ports in the eastern and Southern Caribbean so pickings are not slim. Unlike some of the other mass market lines that leave 90% of their ships in the Caribbean year round and discount the hell out of them to try and fill, RCI is moving seven ships in 08 to Europe an three to Alaska. They have some great itineraries.

EDIT - and yes, I AM jealous. ;)

You're probably right. Royal Caribbean does have a great repeat cruiser program once you hit Platinum, though!

I don't think I have cruised too much, though, this is only the beginning of my cruising career :D .

Does RCCL not visit Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Tortola, Montego Bay, Grank Turk/Caicos, Calica, Key West, etc? From what I've seen listed here, the pickings are pretty slim...

Look further than here then, because RCI ships go to a much greater number of ports of call in the Caribbean and elsewhere than some posters on this thread are willing to admit. :( They don't go to Half Moon Cay because it is owned by HAL, but in its place they go to Labadee and Coco Cay. Grand Turk's docking facilities were financed by Carnival and most of the ships that dock there are part of Carnival Corporation. However, later this year Celebrity's Journey is scheduled to visit Grand Turk. In addition to other ports you list, RCI also visits: St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Grenada, Santo Domingo, Curaçao, Aruba, Margarita Island, Barbados, Guadaloupe, and a few more that I have probably missed. Not exactly slim pickings in my opinion.:rolleyes:

Archived