laptop security on board keep in safe?

hayekfa

Sorry, the safe isn't nearly large enough to hold a laptop. :( My friend took her cable/lock with her and wrapped the cable around something (maybe the dresser?) that would have been very difficult to move. I'll probably take a cable with me because I doubt I'll remember to put the laptop away.

We have taken ours on every cruise... we leave it hooked up (to external speakers w/sub) with music playing ALL DAY LONG! I have not heard of anyone having one stolen... though anything is possible... we do not sweat it!

Tom

I would think your laptop would be fine. My camcorder, digital camera, chargers, etc. are fairly expensive items, and I've never considered putting them in the safe. I leave them on top of the dresser - never had a problem with anything missing on any of my cruises, even a stack of $1 bills in a drawer. I'm pretty trusting, but I really don't think there's a lot of theft on a cruise ship. (Now, I DO put my jewelry in the safe if I'm planning on going snorkeling at a port.)

Ditto. I've taken my laptop on both previous cruises. I keep the digital camera, cash, traveller's checks, and jewellry in the safe, but not the laptop. To be honest, I probably would if it would fit, just as a precaution. I've never felt at risk, but why chance it if you don't have too?

It'll be fine.

You should be more worried about someone accessing your laptop wirelessly. I'm a network security guy and I've seen numerous times where people have left their laptops wide open. Make sure you take precautions when using a public wireless network. I bet that on any give cruise, about half the laptops could be easily accessed & manipulated. USE A FIREWALL. Enough geek talk for now!

I was wondering if the safe in the room is big enough for my laptop, or is it safe enough laying around in the room?

I have taken my laptop with me the last two cruises and had no problem with it. The safe is not large enough for it. I always make sure it was under the bed, or in the closet, or something..... just not in plain sight. :D Bon Voyage!

We have taken ours on every cruise... we leave it hooked up (to external speakers w/sub) with music playing ALL DAY LONG! I have not heard of anyone having one stolen... though anything is possible... we do not sweat it!

Tom

We do that too, no problem for us either

Always leave my laptop open and running on the desktop.

Once took a pic of my cabin steward, Lisa, the first day, downloaded it to the puter, made it the wallpaper on the screen and displayed it all week for Lisa to see whenever she cleaned my cabin. She got a big kick out of that. :)

Kind of corny, huh ? :confused:

Though we have left lots of stuff "out", it does not mean it is safe. I leave my car unlocked most of the time and it has not been stolen, but that does mean it won't in the future.

Anyway, here is an idea if the stuff on your computer is more valuable that the computer itself. Remove the screws to the hard drive and then you can lock that in the safe. And, it reduces the value of the computer quite a bit as they would have to get a hard drive, etc. But, at least you have your stuff.

• 6 months later...
Always leave my laptop open and running on the desktop.

Once took a pic of my cabin steward, Lisa, the first day, downloaded it to the puter, made it the wallpaper on the screen and displayed it all week for Lisa to see whenever she cleaned my cabin. She got a big kick out of that. :)

Kind of corny, huh ? :confused:

I thought I was the only that did that :), glad to know Im not the only member of that club.

We took our lap top, digital camera, walkie-talkies and a power bar to power/charge them all up.

We left them plugged in all day long - unattended - and absolutely no problems at all.

We were trusting and never thought twice about it.

Heather

PS. My laptop would definitely not fit into the safe.

You should be more worried about someone accessing your laptop wirelessly. I'm a network security guy and I've seen numerous times where people have left their laptops wide open. Make sure you take precautions when using a public wireless network. I bet that on any give cruise, about half the laptops could be easily accessed & manipulated. USE A FIREWALL. Enough geek talk for now!

Only could be a problem if you have a wireless card and there is wireless access. Otherwise, no one can access a computer that way that isn't online. From what I've read, most Carnival ships do not have wireless yet.

Archived