Motion sick on Mediterranean?

Maclean girl

Could I get some feedback from others who may suffer from sea sickness as to how choppy it is in the Mediterranean? I will come prepared with a "behind the ear patch" which usually works very well for me for flights. Any suggestions? I have not sailed since I was a young teen, many years ago, and I was sea sick then.

When we cruised in August 2005, the Med was very calm. I only got sick when we were tendered into Monte Carlo and Santorini.

I always carry some Bonine with me when traveling. It works very well with me.

I only felt ill one evening - we were on the Black Sea and had 12 - 15 foot swells, so I simply took an extra Bonine and went to bed. By morning the seas had calmed down and so had my stomach. I swear by Bonine; I take 1 every night before going to bed and if we're having particularly rough seas, I've learned to take an extra mid-day and continue to enjoy the cruise. The nice thing about Bonine is that it doesn't react adversely with alcohol, so I can still have a glass of wine with dinner, and have a froo-froo drink or two during the day. I don't know how the patch works or doesn't work with alcohol in one's system. You might have to check out the fine print on the prescription container.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

When we were there one September, the Med was quite calm, except for big swells on one day. There was quite a bit of rocking for a few hours while the ship had the swells on the beam. Fortunately, everything smoothed out when the ship turned downwind and into a strait just before our late seating dinner time. (Plenty of food left because of low attendance at early seating ;) )

Your results may vary. What we call choppiness is usually too small to affect a large ship with stabilizers. It's the big long swells that cause the motion.

I agree - better safe than sorry - on my Med cruise in October 1987 (which was on a smaller ship than any of HAL's current ones), most of the time we were close to shore and there was not much motion, but the passage from the south coast of Turkey to Crete was extremely rough, and I definitely needed the Dramamine I took!

I also second the recommendation of Bonine. For me, at least, it works just as well as Dramamine, but without the sleepiness. But if you feel you need the patch, and it works for you, go for it. Obviously your doctor is the best person to advise you. Good luck, and I hope you won't let this issue stop you from going on - and enjoying - your cruise!

Hi,

It's me again. I couldn't resist this question. When we were on the Rotterdam in 2003 we were invited to dinner in the penthouse which is way forward on deck 7. We were in the English Channel which is famous for its crazy weather and a storm came up. It was pretty rocky up there but when we got back to our cabin 6174 about midship on deck 6, we hardly felt any motion at all. Rotterdam is great in rough seas and we've had our share of bad weather on board Rotterdam so I guess I can comment on it.

If you wear the patch for the whole 72 hours you'll probably have a dry mouth. I used to use them until I discovered I didn't need them but I do carry Bonine and sea bands but haven't had to use them.

You know I haven't been in the Med yet but i can't imagine anything worse than the north Atlantic. I could be wrong though, AND somepeople are more sensitive to motion than others.

Carry something to use if you need it, but I would suggest that you take something, or put a patch on about 4 hours before you sail just to be ahead of the game.

GN

I wonder if the Bonine that you have all recommended is the same product as Bonamine that we have up here in Canada for travel sickness? I phoned my pharmacist but he had no record of Bonine.

Is the Bonine a non drowsy medication? I would hate to sleep my first cruise away!!

Like any other large body of water, the Med can be unpredictable. Having said that, we've never experienced any rough water in Sep or Oct. Did experience pretty good swells in the Black Sea off Nessebur, Bulgaria on Prinsendam which made tendering (and getting back on board) "very interesting":rolleyes:

We have done the Med twice, and both times it was like a sheet of glass.

No comparison to the Atlantic, or especially, the Pacific.

The first time I stepped onto a cruise ship I did the patch, as I am very prone to movement sickness and thought I would be sea sick easily.

I was sick for the entire first day with dry mouth, dizzy, light headed. I took the patch off, and was fine.

The cure was worse than the ailment. I would stay away from the patch.

Cheers! :)

I wonder if the Bonine that you have all recommended is the same product as Bonamine that we have up here in Canada for travel sickness? I phoned my pharmacist but he had no record of Bonine.

Is the Bonine a non drowsy medication? I would hate to sleep my first cruise away!!

Bonine is non Rx....& yes, they have non drowsy chewable Bonine...I had used the patch on our Christmas cruise & my throat was burning so badly, I had to take it off. It's a good thing I had brought Bonine with us, because coming home the seas were not behaving themselves....both DH & myself took 2 chewables & within an hour we were fine:)

Could I get some feedback from others who may suffer from sea sickness as to how choppy it is in the Mediterranean? I will come prepared with a "behind the ear patch" which usually works very well for me for flights. Any suggestions? I have not sailed since I was a young teen, many years ago, and I was sea sick then.
What size ship will you be on? On the Noordam there was one morning that I couldn't continue eating breakfast next to the Lido pool, and had to go down lower and midships. Unfortunately I don't remember where we were at the time.

BTW I've never gotten sick enough to consider any remedy, so I guess I'm not very susceptible to seasickness.

The generic name for Bonine is Meclazine, so ask your pharmacist to do a search using its generic name, and it does come in a

non-drowsy form.

GN

I just now phoned the pharmacist and he said that they are the same product but in Canada they do not sell a non drowsy form. So, I may just try one and see if it makes me drowsy and if it does, I will contact my brother in the US and see if he can get me some non drowsy Bonine. Thanks for the generic name, GN.

I have used the patch over a dozen times and had absolutely no side effects so may stick with that if I am able to use it for 15 days straight. I have to check that out soon.

As for which ship, it will be the Rotterdam, so hopefully all will be smooth sailing!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Maclean girl: Yes, their Bonine is our Bonamine. I begin taking it the night before we leave and continue taking it until we get home. I haven't had trouble with it making me sleepy, even if I had to take a second one midway through a day.

We were on the Rotterdam for our second Mediterranean cruise a thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The Rotterdam is about twice as large as the first ship we were on in the same area - the Prinsendam. Both are lovely ships. Whatever you take for motion sickness, be sure to take/use it regularly and have a wonderful cruise!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We had a great cruise in the Med and never a bit of choppy water. Of course it varies, but generally it is pretty calm.

These modern ships are a big difference from ships a few years ago. They are so large and so well stabilized that there is rarely much motion.

You can see our Med report and pictures at

Med Cruise with the Hallshttp://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

We had a great cruise in the Med and never a bit of choppy water. Of course it varies, but generally it is pretty calm.

These modern ships are a big difference from ships a few years ago. They are so large and so well stabilized that there is rarely much motion.

You can see our Med report and pictures at

Med Cruise with the Hallshttp://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

MercedMike ... I must congratulate you on your fantastic website - Cruising with the Halls. You have done a beautiful job with all your pictures and notations. I'm sure as we go to places that you have been, we will continue to check out this site. GREAT WORK!!!!!

MercedMike ... I must congratulate you on your fantastic website - Cruising with the Halls. You have done a beautiful job with all your pictures and notations. I'm sure as we go to places that you have been, we will continue to check out this site. GREAT WORK!!!!!

Got to agree with that! Awesome albums, Mike! A lot of time and hard work had to go into that! Say hi to dear auntie!

Thanks for those kind words! I enjoy putting them up. It is nice to know that they are helpful sometimes!

As a pilot I have flown over the med more times than I like to remember. Yes it can get very choppy but chances are, in the summer time, you will have a smooth ride. We have been on a cruise in the Med only once (in early November) and as I remember it was great wether and smooth sea wise. My wife takes Bonine - one half tab before bed every night starting the night before departure. She says it makes her sleep like a baby with no ill effects the following day. She used to feel quesy just stepping out on the dock! By the way, Meclazine is a heck of a lot cheaper and, as one poster said, it is the generic for Bonine.

What an amazing collection of pictures, Mike. I really enjoyed looking at them as we will be going to some of the same ports that you went to.

Thanks for all the hard work putting it together.

As for the anti nausea pills, I am going to do some experimentation here at home to see what makes me drowsy etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.

We did the T/A on the Noordam last year at this time (April 15-May 1) and the worst seas we had were in the Med - a squall went through and the cabin TV said there were sustained 60 kt winds - lasted only one night though.

We have sailed on our own sailboats for 35 years and along with Meclizine, we strongly advise eating an apple at the first sign of queasiness - trick taught by an old sailing nurse - something about a gas given off when you bite into the apple - whatever it is, it sure works well and (knock wood) we've never been seasick when using the remedy. And thanks to HAL, there's usually at least one apple in the fruit bowl in your cabin - ask your cabin steward for a couple of extras just in case! Also, we find that eating candied ginger helps as well!

Archived