Any buzz about

Smartcookie

Celebrity trying Anytime dining or stopping at a private island?

X was my favorite cruiseline but I'm just back from my first Princess cruise and I loved it...it's now number one in my choice of cruiselines. I have to say I found the Anytime dining and Princess Cays to be outstanding, they really added to my enjoyment of the cruise.

I've got a cruise booked on the Century this February, any word of X instituting either of these features?

Celebrity trying Anytime dining or stopping at a private island?

X was my favorite cruiseline but I'm just back from my first Princess cruise and I loved it...it's now number one in my choice of cruiselines. I have to say I found the Anytime dining and Princess Cays to be outstanding, they really added to my enjoyment of the cruise.

I've got a cruise booked on the Century this February, any word of X instituting either of these features?

Nothing on the dining however they did start their a new cruise line Azamara with two of their ships that has no dress codes. A large majority on these boards would not like Celebrity to go to anytime dining or anything similiar so be prepared for the reactions.

Celebrity on some of their cruises stops at private island and has for many years.

Thanks Don. I will say that Anytime dining is not the same thing as doing away with dress codes, we had Anytime dining but still dressed for dinner, as did everyone we saw in the dining room.

I guess I don't understand what one has to do with the other?

What I liked about Anytime dining was eating when we were hungry, when we wanted to work our dinner around the shows or just when we felt like it. I don't like being on a schedule, especially on vacation. It was so nice to just relax, take a nap, or do whatever without rushing to get ready for dinner, besides, I've always felt that 6:00 or 6:30 is too early and 8:00/8:30 too late.

I loved being able to eat at 7:00/7:30 which is my usual dinner time.

Thanks Don. I will say that Anytime dining is not the same thing as doing away with dress codes, we had Anytime dining but still dressed for dinner, as did everyone we saw in the dining room.

What I liked about Anytime dining was eating when we were hungry, when we wanted to work our dinner around the shows or just when we felt like it. I don't like being on a schedule, especially on vacation. It was so nice to just relax, take a nap, or do whatever without rushing to get ready for dinner, besides, I've always felt that 6:00 or 6:30 is too early and 8:00/8:30 too late.

A lot of Celebrity cruisers enjoy the traditional cruise experience with set meal times and tables, with waiter that know your likes and dislikes by the second meal and have your coffee or iced tea as soon as you sit down, not having to wait for a table to open.

That is the nice thing about different cruise lines - there is something for everyone. There are those of us that cruise for the shipboard experience - picking a cruise by the cruiseline first - and to us Celebrity is a perfect - well near perfect -vacation.

The only thing we really disliked about our Princess cruise was Anytime Dining. Traditional was full with a long waiting list (we booked 5 weeks out). And because we do not eat out much at home, the dining room experience is one of the things we look forward to on a cruise. We had a better dining experience on Carnival, probably because of traditional dining, and having the same servers all week long.

We had the same experience with Princess as above poster - and we booked 6 months out.... We really like the traditional dining, and getting to know other people on the ship and the Anytime dining did not work for us. BUT - there are ships that have that, so as said earlier - if someone wants that, they can find ships that have it, and if others want the traditional dining, there are ships for that, too.... But, if Celebrity is going to change - PLEASE don't let them change before our August Alaska cruise...:eek:

I think "Anytime Dining" works best on ships (like the Grand class Princess ships) that were built with it in mind -- so that there are different dining rooms for traditional and "Anytime." I haven't been on the Sun class Princess ships, but I doubt it works as well when there's one dining room, because then you basically have to split the upper and lower halves so that one is traditional and the other is Anytime.

--Junglejane

We would hate anytime dining. We strongly prefer traditional with the same servers at each meal. And keep the dress code formal!

We wouldn't mind a private island day though! Certainly a better stop than Casa de Campo!

We would hate anytime dining. We strongly prefer traditional with the same servers at each meal. And keep the dress code formal!

We wouldn't mind a private island day though! Certainly a better stop than Casa de Campo!

Susie:

Funny thing is Casa can be a nice stop because they have a private island there that has been used by a number of cruise lines. I went there about 12 years ago on another line and the ship anchored and you could tender to either Casa or go to the private island, complete with water sports and a barbecue. It was a very nice day and I don't understand why Celebrity doesn't utilize the island which is called Catalina Island. They must have received some great deal to dock at Casa.

I did not like anytime dining on Princess. I don't like the smaller diningrooms, the mobscene outside of the diningroom at 7PM- the time everyone wants and having to wait- even with an reservation. The service was lacking. I could go on and on about it.

I like traditional dining the best. You always have the fallback of the buffet alternate dining or the specialty restaurant. But you know that already.

I just like having the same servers each night- with the same new friends. Especially traveling as a solo traveler- traditonal is better.

I don't want them to change a thing about Celebrity! Except maybe the drink prices (Vino is expensive!)

This responds to the private island part of the question. We have booked the Millennium for a 7-Night Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale next March (Easter cruise, 3/23) which is scheduled to stop at Labadee, Haiti, which is (I think) an RCCI private island. Other Millennium Caribbean cruises in spring 2008 also stop for a day at Labadee. Please someone who might know better correct me if Labadee is not a private island.

David

This responds to the private island part of the question. We have booked the Millennium for a 7-Night Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale next March (Easter cruise, 3/23) which is scheduled to stop at Labadee, Haiti, which is (I think) an RCCI private island. Other Millennium Caribbean cruises in spring 2008 also stop for a day at Labadee. Please someone who might know better correct me if Labadee is not a private island.

David

You are correct, that is one of Royal Caribbeans private islands...

Exactly. On Norwegian they had a nice variety of alternate dining restaurants. There was Italian, Japanese, Mexican, Etc. All were good. The problem is that all the people in the group like to meet for dinner- it is a time to reconnect, since the ships are big and everyone does different things. When you all have to decide when and where to meet each night- it is still a schedule. Got to be at such and such place by 7PM. So in reality- why not have traditional dining at a set time anyway. Then no one has to be responsible for making all the dag-gone reservations.

It was the same deal on Princess- only worse. They don't have different menus at the different restaurants. They all have the same menu. Boring.

I agree, I am glad you clarified that as many think "anytime dining or Personal choice" is the same as NCLs freestyle. We, personally love Freestyle but it is still different from Princess. I actually think Princess has the right idea as for choices. You can do it either way. NMnita

I did not like anytime dining on Princess. I don't like the smaller diningrooms, the mobscene outside of the diningroom at 7PM- the time everyone wants and having to wait- even with an reservation. The service was lacking. I could go on and on about it.

Perhaps you cruised when Anytime dining was first instituted, but it seems they have it down to a science. There was no mob scene, there were no waits. We NEVER waited, not even for 30 seconds. We also never made a reservation, I didn't want to and it wasn't necessary.

And of course, there still is traditional dining for those who want it.

Thanks for the info on Azamara - it seems they created a new name for the Journey and Quest, and yes, both those ships, along with their anytime, no dress-code dining policy, more upscale atmosphere and smaller size are VERY appealing to me.

I've been looking at the Journey for this summer, it will be about $7500.00 for our famiy of 4 though, so we're still thinking about it. :eek:

Having to worry about a reservation every night (or wait if you don't have one) would be WAY more limiting and stressful for me than simply planning to dine at a set time...

Again, you don't need to make a reservation and you don't wait if you don't have one. This is a misconception.

Reservations are only if you want the same table, same server, same time, same tablemates (of your choosing), etc.

Archived