Amadeus Food

Collier

I hope no-one thinks I was calling Winegirl a complainer. It's just that her experience was such a contrast to the experience we had that I was surprised - that's all. I truly do feel sorry that anyone had anything but a great time on their cruise. We will be cruising again next year and hope that our experience is similar to the one we had with Amadeus last year.

Our chef was outstanding and received a huge applause as the crew were introduced at the end of the cruise. I apologize most sincerely to Winegirl if I made her feel unwelcome. Please feel free to e-mail me at auxiliary@sympatico.ca - that goes for anyone who would like to comment to me directly.

Buck

It wasn't you, Buck, but somebody else that actually did call her a complainer.Not nice at all.:eek: This is no place for personal insults and I am surprised the post was not deleted by the moderator. I am a moderator on another message board and I would have deleted the post.

OK I apologize for using the word "complainer". I admit it was not fair and I'm very sorry to see that winegirl has decided not to participate in this board again. I also notice that there were other people who were unhappy with the food service. It is difficult to get a balanced view on these small boards because there are so few posts. We leave tomorrow and I will reserve judgement until I have experienced Amadeus first hand.

One thing that is also very difficult to "hear" is the inflection with which things would be said as opposed to written. Something said in jest could be mis-construed as a blatant insult. I've gotten myself in a lot of hot water in the past with some posts I have made on other boards so I've learned to temper my statements from time to time. Of course there are time I wished I could take back what I said and make it more friendly, but when someone leaves the board - justified or not - you just can't do anything more about it. I got my nose right out of joint on one board and stormed off in a huff, but the only one that suffered was me, as I really enjoyed the board I was on and spent a great deal of time on it. I actually was learning a lot, but I'm not there anymore, and to re-join would mean that I'd have to start from scratch again. Maybe in time I will, but right now I'm busy trying to get packed in time for our big move.

Buck

As I posted previously, our experience on the Amadagio was quite different and very pleasant

Wines were locally available red or white. Some were good, some were ok, not great. There was no wine list in the dining room, but there was a wine list in the lounge. Cappucino, expresso and regular coffee were available from a single shot coffeemaker in the lounge. There was always a long line waiting to use that machine. Bottled water was available in the rooms. Anything other than water, wine at dinner, coffee or tea was a charge to the room.

We got wine included every time at lunches and dinners and the glass was refilled repeatedly until you stop it. I liked some wines better than others but this was lesser a question of quality than of my personal tast. All of them were better than OK. Lunch and dinner wine consumation was NOT charged to the room account - I think winegirl got this wrong - only drinks ordered at the lounge or bar were charged to the room account. I also remember very well that I ordered expressos usually after lunch and got it served in the restaurant. The one shot expresso machine in the lounge was useful when the restaurant was closed.

Wine was absolutely not served( without charge) at lunch.

It had to be ordered & paid for.We had to ask many times for more"free" wine at dinner.

Service was not good.

Winegirl is correct in saying that the single shot coffe emachine, had long lines.

We got off the Amadagio 5 days ago.I feel I can give a recent & accurate account .

Hi Fleuve,

I am so sorry you didn't have a very good experience on the AmaDagio. I feel guilty for touting it to you so much. I guess the different crews really make a difference. Let's hope this is the exception rather than the rule.

Buck

I am booked on a cruise in June from Amsterdam on the Amadagio. I have been told the there are new owners / lease of this ship. Has anyone heard of this. APT IS THE NEW COMPANY????

JM

Now I get it!

80% of the trip we just returned from was from Australia.

A great group , by the way.

APT did major advertising in Australia for the Amadeus line. Now it makes sense--they may be the new owners.

Well, anything would be an improvement.

The question is If and when did APT take over. IS that why the recent cruises have had bad service or are they taking over now to improve the services.

We were going to book Amadeus next May and IM seriously thinking of try and line.

I did a search on APT and Amadeus and there is definitely a partnership of some sort. I couldn't tell the extent of the agreement but there is some type of agreement between the 2.

We are booked on Amadeus on the Danube in August. We just made final payment and now I read this stuff. I hope that our experience is better. We so look forward to the ports and tours. The food is a big part of a vacation, too. The mixed reviews are confusing, so I'll just read the good ones from now on and post my point of view when we return. If you have good news for me, post it as (good) news on Amadeus. I'm still going and if the food is not great, good for my thighs.

APT is Australian Pacific Tours. They do many tours in Australia and from Australia for Aussies. We took quite a few of them during our 3 weeks there. They probably only booked part of the ship.

That's for you Alice & sorry for your thighs !

We have been on two cruises with Amadeus and the last one on the Amadagio. It is regrettable that Eillen had such an upleasant experience and it seems just to be the opposite of what we encountered. We have nothing but the best memories of our vacations and we are booking again an Amadeus cruise for 2008 !

I found following sample menu which pretty much represents how dinners where offered every day. We found the food to be outstansing.

Appetizers

Thinly Sliced Lamb Loin on Kenya Bean Salad

Fresh Pear Cocktail drizzled with "Williams Christ"

Crispy Winter Lettuce presented with Blue Cheese Dressing

Soups

Consommé of Cherry Tomatoes with Pistachio Dumplings

Chilled Banana Soup

Entrées

Broiled Fillet of Tilapia with Wasabi-Hollandaise Sauce, Sautéed Vegetables and Sepia Noodles

Whole Roasted Rib Eye with Glazed Balsamic Shallots, Red Wine Jus, Green Beans and Stuffed Potatoe

Farfalle Pasta with Creamy Sauce, Sun Dried Tomato and Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Dessert

Egg Nogg Souffé with Chocolate Sauce

Ice Cup "Amadagio"

Fresh Fruits and Selection of International Cheese

Wines

Pinot Grigio, Hungary, 2004 (white)

Blauer Frankischer, Germany, 2005 (red)

Standing Order

Ceasar Salad, Cole Slaw, French Fries, Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Scandinavian Salmon Steak

That's for you Alice & sorry for your thighs !

We have been on two cruises with Amadeus and the last one on the Amadagio. It is regrettable that Eillen had such an upleasant experience and it seems just to be the opposite of what we encountered. We have nothing but the best memories of our vacations and we are booking again an Amadeus cruise for 2008 !

I found following sample menu which pretty much represents how dinners where offered every day. We found the food to be outstansing.

Appetizers

Thinly Sliced Lamb Loin on Kenya Bean Salad

Fresh Pear Cocktail drizzled with "Williams Christ"

Crispy Winter Lettuce presented with Blue Cheese Dressing

Soups

Consommé of Cherry Tomatoes with Pistachio Dumplings

Chilled Banana Soup

Entrées

Broiled Fillet of Tilapia with Wasabi-Hollandaise Sauce, Sautéed Vegetables and Sepia Noodles

Whole Roasted Rib Eye with Glazed Balsamic Shallots, Red Wine Jus, Green Beans and Stuffed Potatoe

Farfalle Pasta with Creamy Sauce, Sun Dried Tomato and Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Dessert

Egg Nogg Souffé with Chocolate Sauce

Ice Cup "Amadagio"

Fresh Fruits and Selection of International Cheese

Wines

Pinot Grigio, Hungary, 2004 (white)

Blauer Frankischer, Germany, 2005 (red)

Standing Order

Ceasar Salad, Cole Slaw, French Fries, Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Scandinavian Salmon Steak

Sounds great!! Guess I'll have to work out.

The posted menu sounds wonderful.

It just doesn't taste as good as it sounds.

The " meat" on every menu was tasteless & dry ,except on the final night when they served "angus" beef.

We found that the pastas were fine.The seafood pasta had i think one ( maybe 2) shrimp in it, diced tiny pieces.

I love dessert--I ordered it every meal and left most. The cake that was really good, was the specially made mousse cake that the staff presents to a " celebrating" couple.

I am not a fussy eater,, but the food fell far below many ocean ship standards.

Alice-Don't worry about increasing thigh size--the portions are small.

I was good with that---I didn't gain weight.

My husband & i don't go on cruises for the food. We have far better restaurants in Montreal, than most places we have visited around the world.

One man, about 3 cabins sown, would smoke out his balcony door. The smoke then drifts into every open window.

Very inconsiderate.

You better book a non-smoking ship, so it doesn't drift in from the Sun Deck.

If people smoke ONLY on the sun deck,the only place allowed on our cruise, I doubt very much if the smoke would drift DOWN into the windows.If they are rude enough to smoke in their rooms it probably would be a problem.I would not book on an Europeon ship only because smoking is allowed in so many places.

Being a 4 year cancer survivor I really do everything I can to avoid second hand smoke.:)

The man smoking on his balcony should have been reported to the ship's hotel manager.

I have never heard of smoke on the Skydeck drifting DOWN to the decks below!

I absolutely agree with you and if it had been drifting in my window I would have reported him for sure!!:mad:

Archived