Cruising whilst pregnant

We discovered that my wife was pregnant recently, and day 1 would be 1st April 2007.

We are booked on Navigator of the Seas on 22nd Sept 2007, and RCI policy states that travelling within 24-26 gestation needs a doctors letter, but after 26 weeks you cannot travel.

I calculate that she will be 26 weeks, 6 days at the time we are to end the cruise.

I wondered whether anyone had any experience with this situation and how you managed/got round it.

Being in the UK makes it more difficult as I do not believe RCI will transfer deposits etc, perhaps this situation is different

I really doubt that there would be any questions or problems with this. I don't recall anywhere asking if I was pregnant, or how far along! Obviously, if she looks ready to deliver, they may question you when you board, but I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

My wife and I went on a cruise last year when she was a 23 weeks (I think) and didn't have any problems. We were on NCL at the time and I don't recall if they have different rules. I think she also had a doctors note just in case, but wasn't asked for it.

From RCCL.com:

Q: What is Royal Caribbean's policy on cruising while pregnant?

A: If pregnant guests have entered or will be entering their 27th week before or during the cruise, they will be unable to travel.

A physician's Fit to Travel note stating that they are in good health, not a high risk pregnancy, and not entering the 27th week is required.

If her doctor is willing to write note with the above info, and as long as she is in good health, you should be fine. How sure are they about the April 1st date? I believe there is usually a couple days error associated with this calculation. The doctor might write the note if your wife is in good health?

If this is no good, maybe RCCL will let you transfer your deposit to another cruise? I'm not sure how it works in the UK either, but I would think they would allow to transfer the deposit. Perhaps you should give them a call.

Good luck and congrats.

DW and I were air lifted off of Domenica when she got a bladder infection while traveling @ 23 weeks. I would suggest rescheduling your cruise, it is not worth the hell we had to go through to get home after the slightest of complications. Joe V.

One other thing would be to check your health insurance!!! Most companies have removed cover during pregnacy. Some still cover the mother but definately NOT the unborn or premature child. Bear in mind those cost can be horrendous. One insurer in Germany had a case several years ago (prior to disclosure) and ended up picking up a tab for 1,3 million Deutsch Mark at the time for a premature baby that required ICU / High Care in Miami for over 3 months before it was able to be flown back to Germany....Many Insures learn't the hard way...

We discovered that my wife was pregnant recently, and day 1 would be 1st April 2007.

We are booked on Navigator of the Seas on 22nd Sept 2007, and RCI policy states that travelling within 24-26 gestation needs a doctors letter, but after 26 weeks you cannot travel.

I calculate that she will be 26 weeks, 6 days at the time we are to end the cruise.

I wondered whether anyone had any experience with this situation and how you managed/got round it.

Being in the UK makes it more difficult as I do not believe RCI will transfer deposits etc, perhaps this situation is different

This is definitely a difficult situation since you're from the UK and the rules are different as far as deposits, etc.

Two pieces of advice I would offer (it's free advice, so take it or leave it!): 1) remember the rules are in place for the safety of the pregnant cruiser AND to help reduce any potential liability for the cruiseline, and 2) if you decide to push it, be sure and let her doctor know you're going and be sure he/she gives her a clean bill of health prior to departure.

One other thing to consider: Maybe DW needs to sit out this cruise...do you have a brother or father who could replace her? I hope this doesn't sound cruel, but personally, I wouldn't want to lose my deposit money, yet I don't know if I would feel comfortable cruising that late term. I would rather err on the side of my and my baby's safety and let my DH cruise with another family member, or even a "trustworthy" :D good guy friend! :D

I know in the U.S., you can switch a passenger as long as one of the original pax stays on the booking.

Assuming your wife was not pregnant when you booked this cruise, did you buy travel insurance?

If I were you, I would certainly not let the wife cruise at 26 -27 weeks. The ships physicians are not equipped to handle pregnant women or pre-mature infants. You risk losing your child if there are complications on your cruise. And, I certainly would not want my wife and baby being taken care of in another country! :eek:

I really doubt that there would be any questions or problems with this. I don't recall anywhere asking if I was pregnant, or how far along! Obviously, if she looks ready to deliver, they may question you when you board, but I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Pregnancy is clearly addressed on RCI website as the OP references in his post. He is right to question this situation especially since they are traveling so far.

To the OP, is it were me, I would not take this cruise. You would always second guess yourself if something happened to your wife or the baby.

:D:DCongratulations Garry and Jo!!:D:D

Jim and I wish you the very best.........and hope that Jo has a very easy pregnancy.

Now, if I read this correctly, then estimated time of arrival would be January? There are so many factors that you have to consider when traveling and being with child. Is there anyway you might be able to move your cruise up a month?

Does this mean that you will now have a third cruising companion with you two? Never hurts to start them off young.

If it's a boy, I know that he will know all the rules of cricket by the time he's able to walk!!;)

Hello,

I know about this all too well from experience 2 years ago....right around this time of year. I was 24 - 25 weeks pregnant with my second daughter when I cruised.

The cruise was great. We got home on a Friday...and exactly 1 week later I was in the hospital, giving birth to my daughter...at 26 1/2 weeks!!! Never in a million years did I expect this to happen!!! She was in the hospital for the next 3, nightmarish months. But I'm happy to say that she is doing great and will be 2 on May 29.

However, I cringe to think what might have happened on that cruise if she came even earlier. I'm sure that the outcome would not have been the same. Please take care in deciding what to do.

Stacy

I've cruised during all three of my pregnancies, at different stages, but the middle one was right at the 26 week mark...and the last one I was around 24 weeks.

With all three pregnancies, I had the blessing of my OB to be on the cruises. I would definitely recommend getting that okay before going...and I had notes from my OBs stating that I was fit to travel. However, nobody ever asked to see those notes.

I know you didn't ask this question, but I'm going to add my $.02. Babies born at 26 weeks have a fighting chance at survival. I delivered my son at 42 weeks(!) and even knowing that, I'd never risk being on a cruise ship at 26 weeks just in case something went wrong. I would press RCI about transferring your deposit. I'd hope they would be accomodating.

And congratulations! I hope your wife has an easy pregnancy.

Congrats Savs! Mr. Ski and I ditto Chatti Patti & LJ's good wishes!

We wish you all 3 the very best!

However, I truly hope RC will accomodate you and let you reschedule. Mr. Ski loves to tell the "accountant's point of view" from one of our cruises. He loves to tell that from the "accountant's perspective" we were NET Plus 1. Yes, one elderly gentlemen departed us peacefully in his sleep while at the same time a lady was in the medical facility giving birth to twins! So we lost one and added two and therefore were "Net plus one".

Hugs to you both!!

Ski

DH and I chose to cruise when I was 23 weeks pregnant. If it had been anything other than a normal un eventful pregnancy we would have cancelled. But it was a really boring routine pregnancy, the kind that everyone wants to have!

I would say not to worry about the 26 week mark as long as your wife has a boring pregnancy. If you end up with issues or complications (god forbid) then re evaluate even going on the trip.

We did purchase extra travel insurance in case I would have needed to be medi-vac'd by air to a hospital. We made sure that the coverage we purchased covered pregnancy related issues. The extra insurance will also cover if you have to cancel for pregnancy relatted issues.

I would also be sure to bring 2 one gallon bottles of water and make it a goal for your wife to finish them by the end of the cruise. You just wnat to ensure that she stay well hydrated.

Finally, go snorkeling a lot! There is nothing more freeing than floating in the water when you feel like a hippo!

Your wife should talk to her OB/GYN. If this is her first pregnancy, especially, the doc may not want her to travel. My doctor was very conservative with my first pregnancy and didn't want me more than an hour from a major hospital, especially at the second half of the pregnancy. All went well with the whole pregnancy and delivery, and my doctor was not quite as cautious with my second pregnancy, although I had to be aware of the fact that I have short labors and, thus, couldn't be far from a major hospital. I had a friend who traveled about half-way through her pregnancy to a remote island off the coast of Maine. Wouldn't you know that she went into labor. Because she couldn't get to a hospital quick enough to stop the labor, she ended up having a premie with a lot of health problems. I don't mean to put a pall on your good news, but it is always something to think about.

Why would you take a chance. I don't know about deposit issues in the UK, but in the US, your final payment would not be due yet, and you would still be able to get your deposit back. The safety of your wife and child is still the most important issue here, aside from the rules of the cruise company. Ask for your deposit back, or move up the vacation date, or go after the baby is born. You must have more options. And yes, many congratulations on the upcoming baby! Best wishes!

Yes UK fine print is different but DO talk to RCCL since it is in their best interest too. They don't like having problems on their ships either and besides if you go later you will be paying for an extra passenger toooo

Archived