Beware of PickPockets in Barcelona

the police were atrocious - probably because it happens so much

I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting a cut! :rolleyes:

We're cruising out of Barcelona in September 2007, and the crime issue is my biggest trepidation. I've heard nothing good about Barcelona, nor Rome for that matter. One source referred to Barcelona as "The City of Thieves". :eek: It's unfortunate, but I suppose caution and cynicism is the order of the day when traveling in Europe. And I was looking forward to all the history and culture.

I was in Spain one year during Holy Week and the streets were packed with pedestrians for the parades. It was almost impossible to move. We heard that someone had their earrings stolen right out of their ears! Wouldn't surprise me.

I spent 3 weeks in Spain over the xmas and NYs holidays last year. I have travelled a lot and I was very prepared, but the night we arrived in Barcelona the hotel clerk had me in a totally paranoid state about spending the next few days in the beautiful city about pick pockets. He finally said that they almost never hurt anyone, but he hated having his customers get ripped off. So, we continued our regular visit, and I kept a tight grip on everything all of the time. By the time we left, Barcelona, I had decided that it was just like all other big cities. If you give the thieves an easy oppurtunity they will rip you off. If you are smart and careful the odds are greatly in your favor, and they will pick on the easier targets. I found the citizens of Barcelona to be very friendly and I felt very safe there. We literally walked all over the old city day and night. We took a cab from the airport, the smart car from the hotel to pick up our rental car. We equally had no trouble in Madrid, Ronda, Valencia (although at a bar one night a local tried to become our new best friend until my wife made eye contact with the female bartender saying we are not comfortable with this drunks attention. I think all women share this universal eye language?:D ), Granada, Marbella, and Toledo.

In other words be cautious, but not fearful.:)

jc

yes definitely be wary - dont put bags on tables, by your chair or over your shoulder unless you have a grip on it (they slash the strap and then grab). Mum and I were both mugged in Barca within 3 hours of arriving and lost £500 ($1000), passports and everything. Not a nice experience and the police were atrocious - probably because it happens so much :mad:

Did you read that one of George Bush's daughters had her purse stolen in a similar situation? She had Secret Service with her!

Viv

Be very careful on the Rome bus lines to the Vatican. Even with warnings and being cautious, my wife's purse was opened and her wallet taken. She never felt a thing as we believe it happened in the "squeeze" when everyone was getting on and off the bus.

Fortunately all she lost was a driver's license, ATM card, 1 credit card and about $8 in USD. I had all of the other cash, cards and passports in a special wallet carrier under my shirt and jacket. We were able to cancel the two cards before they were used.

Petty street crime is much more common in Europe and you just have to take more precautions than you would normally take herein the states. Don't let the threat deter you from seeing Europe. Just be more careful of your surroundings and follow the good advice of the other posters on this thread.

I like the idea of a 2nd wallet. Instead of a $5 bill, perhaps a $2 bill and a note saying Gotcha! or something else insulting and inflammatory that we cannot print here. :D

How do you know they are not making an attempt to control it?

And if it's as prevelant as mentioned on this thread, they are likely catching some. Like anywhere, when you compare the police to criminal ratio, the criminals far outnumber the police and do get away with crimes very often.

150 reports a day would tie up a lot of the officers' time.

How do you know they are making an attempt to control petty theft? The tour guides know who the thieves are, they readily tell you, but the police don't know who they are. At least the authorities should show some compassion but they don't. The authorities in Rome are great for stopping tourists on trains and leveling fines against them unjustly. Don't get me wrong most of the people are good people but this small majority can leave a very bad taste in your mouth. The cruise lines do the best they can to warn you but there is only so much anyone can do.

What about walking with your luggage from the airport to catch a taxi...hard to keep an eye out behind you to see if all your luggage is still there or if someone's trying to tamper with it? Has anyone had a problem in regards to that? I don't plan on carrying a purse and will even use the secret wallet under your shirt when on the plane flying over. Don't want to take a chance after landing.

I do have two questions....

1. Do you think it's safe to let the front desk hold your locked luggage if your room isn't ready? I'd hate to give up half a day sitting around to watch my luggage.

2. Do you think it's safer to use the "safe" in your room to keep the extra credit cards and your passports or do you feel safer having your passports on you in the secret round the neck under the shirt wallet?

Having to worry about being "pick pocketed" around every corner is definitely stressful and a vacation is suppose to be relaxing!!!!!:eek:

What about walking with your luggage from the airport to catch a taxi...hard to keep an eye out behind you to see if all your luggage is still there or if someone's trying to tamper with it? Has anyone had a problem in regards to that? I don't plan on carrying a purse and will even use the secret wallet under your shirt when on the plane flying over. Don't want to take a chance after landing.

I do have two questions....

1. Do you think it's safe to let the front desk hold your locked luggage if your room isn't ready? I'd hate to give up half a day sitting around to watch my luggage.

2. Do you think it's safer to use the "safe" in your room to keep the extra credit cards and your passports or do you feel safer having your passports on you in the secret round the neck under the shirt wallet?

Having to worry about being "pick pocketed" around every corner is definitely stressful and a vacation is suppose to be relaxing!!!!!:eek:

I couldn't agree with you more. Even if you are on watch you can't prevent it. I heard of porters stealing luggage. These thieves should get awards for how creative they are. Watch the taxi - look for markings and write down the tag and taxi number in case they try to rob you. That is why once and done after I saw it for myself. I prefer the Caribbean, Bermuda or Alaska.

I always leave my luggage behind at the hotel. Never had a problem, not in Rome, Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam, Helsinki etc. Keep your eyes open, don't act like a first-time tourist, but an experienced tourist. At least try ;) Keep the zipper of your bags closed on the streets and keep it in front of you so that nobody can open the bag. Don't help poor people, when somebody touches you in a bus, pay attention for the surrounding area, because most thieves always act in a group and don't get into a discussion with someone on the streets, for example tourists (asking for whatever), streetvendor etc.

Most pick pockets are in Barcelona at the Ramblas.

Pick pockets are common in Europe, but don't fear for your life. Most of these people are harmless. Split the money, credit cards and passports. Don't keep all the stuff in one bag or wallet and you'll be fine.

Most tourists have never been robbed, you can get the wrong image of European cities. Pay attention for your possessions and enjoy your visit in Europe.

I couldn't agree with you more. Even if you are on watch you can't prevent it. I heard of porters stealing luggage. These thieves should get awards for how creative they are. Watch the taxi - look for markings and write down the tag and taxi number in case they try to rob you. That is why once and done after I saw it for myself. I prefer the Caribbean, Bermuda or Alaska.

Gotta love self-imposed limits we all place on ourselves.

jc<---- thinks that life is to be lived.

I always leave my luggage behind at the hotel. Never had a problem, not in Rome, Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam, Helsinki etc. Keep your eyes open, don't act like a first-time tourist, but an experienced tourist. At least try ;) Keep the zipper of your bags closed on the streets and keep it in front of you so that nobody can open the bag. Don't help poor people, when somebody touches you in a bus, pay attention for the surrounding area, because most thieves always act in a group and don't get into a discussion with someone on the streets, for example tourists (asking for whatever), streetvendor etc.

Pick pockets are common in Europe, but don't fear for your life. Most of these people are harmless. Split the money, credit cards and passports. Don't keep all the stuff in one bag or wallet and you'll be fine.

Most tourists have never been robbed, you can get the wrong image of European cities. Pay attention for your possessions and enjoy your visit in Europe.

Sage advice! :)

thanks

jc

We spent two days pre-cruise in Barcelona and loved it. It's a clean, friendly, fascinating city and we can't wait to return. We kept an eye and hand on all of our stuff at all times and never felt threatened in any way -- and we were carrying a backpack, a large SLR digital camera and a videocamera. And yes, we visited Las Ramblas.

In my opinion, the key is to be aware of your surroundings and other people at all times and never take your hands off your belongings. I really don't understand the logic behind carrying an extra wallet with $5 in it -- why carry a wallet at all? I purchased two money belts before we left but never used them. We carried a minimal amount of cash in our pockets and the rest in an inside zippered compartment in our backpack, which we carried either over a shoulder with a hand on the handle or by hand. We also planned our route through the city ahead of time so we didn't spend time looking lost or wandering into areas we didn't belong in. While one of us took photos or video, the other kept an eye out and held onto the backpack.

While there may not be gypsies or thieves in New York City who are quite as skilled as those in some cities in Europe, robberies and pickpockets happen here and likely in every major city in the United States. Wherever you travel, don't spend all your time worrying about theft. Be aware, be careful, and have fun. You're on vacation after all!

We spent two days pre-cruise in Barcelona and loved it. It's a clean, friendly, fascinating city and we can't wait to return. We kept an eye and hand on all of our stuff at all times and never felt threatened in any way -- and we were carrying a backpack, a large SLR digital camera and a videocamera. And yes, we visited Las Ramblas.

In my opinion, the key is to be aware of your surroundings and other people at all times and never take your hands off your belongings. I really don't understand the logic behind carrying an extra wallet with $5 in it -- why carry a wallet at all? I purchased two money belts before we left but never used them. We carried a minimal amount of cash in our pockets and the rest in an inside zippered compartment in our backpack, which we carried either over a shoulder with a hand on the handle or by hand. We also planned our route through the city ahead of time so we didn't spend time looking lost or wandering into areas we didn't belong in. While one of us took photos or video, the other kept an eye out and held onto the backpack.

While there may not be gypsies or thieves in New York City who are quite as skilled as those in some cities in Europe, robberies and pickpockets happen here and likely in every major city in the United States. Wherever you travel, don't spend all your time worrying about theft. Be aware, be careful, and have fun. You're on vacation after all!

I agree with you completely Karen, well maybe not too comfortable with the backpack money thing, but other than that, you are spot on. When we were on the streets, we watched each other. We didn't wander off on our own. I prefer to carry a small digital camera that has video with sound capabilities as to carrying the full SLR and videocam. Sure we lose a bit of functionality, but for taking vacation photos, I don't think I am missing any Pulitzer prize winning oppurtunities and I have a way to capture the key elements on vacation, and the quality of the videos and pictures is really surprisingly good.

We literally walked all over Barcelona day and night as I mentioned. We had zero incidents, zero close calls and a wonderful time. Visiting the Sacred Familia cathedral is awe inspiring like no other cathedral I have ever visited. There simply is nothing like it anywhere. For the life of me I don't understand why people choose to limit their experiences, yes there is risk anytime we leave small town USA and visit large cities both in the USA and outside the USA, but the rewards are so great that the minimal compromises you have to make are trivial in comparison.

jc

For the life of me I don't understand why people choose to limit their experiences, yes there is risk anytime we leave small town USA and visit large cities both in the USA and outside the USA, but the rewards are so great that the minimal compromises you have to make are trivial in comparison.

jc

Then maybe you can explain to DH why I should go on a safari to Africa. He thinks I'm nuts! LOL

I might add that we wandered Rambla de Catalunya north of Gran Via until about 11 p.m. and the streets were full of people window shopping, dining, etc. Everything was well lit and it was a wonderful way to end our evening.

Karen

usually i carry the money in my moneybelt and ccard,and only take small amount of cash for that day,also be careful around atm machines they will hit you then too,just be careful and aware of whos around you:))):rolleyes: :p

You are not completely crazy about the African Safari thing. The animals pose no particular danger to you, unfortunately some parts of Africa the human animals are particularly threatening and dangerous. On our trip to Spain because of the time we were spending in the Canary Islands just off the coast of Africa the temptation was there to go to the mainland. I explored it in some detail. I had watched some show about the resort that Bill Holden and other movie stars built in Kenya (Mount Kenya Safari Club) in the 50s and I tried to figure out some way to go there, but I couldn't work out any trip that seemed logical or more importantly affordable to do it, and we settled on spending the time doing the traditional Spanish trip(which was very wonderful by the way but completely different). The other consideration for me in doing a trip to Africa is the ban on donating blood after a visit ( I donate every 8 weeks), and the list of shots required. About 12 years ago, my wife met a software guy named Ziggy from Zimbabwe, and he showed us some wonderful pictures from his father's estate (ranch) with a zoos worth of animals. I worry about his family since most of the white landowners have been driven from the country after the latest peoples revolution.

jc

I agree completely! We go to Europe every year and have been to Barcelona in particular a couple of times. We will be back in September. It is a beautiful city and we have had a great time there. We have never been pickpocked there or even come close to an attempt. I will not worry this time. We keep the passports and most of the money and credit cards in a safe place and enjoy taking pictures with our digital and camcorder that we use. We take the metro and walk all over the city. Just be careful and have fun don't be so paranoid that you don't enjoy your trip.

We went on Safari to the Masai Mara, Kenya in 2003. We flew in to Nairobi (or Nairobbery as it is called by some) and sat outside the airport for half an hour having a drink. We saw 3 bag snatches during that time (all by young teenagers).

Once we got to the Masai, it was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had.

To anyone still deciding whether to go on Safari or not, I only have one word for you: GO.:o

We went on Safari to the Masai Mara, Kenya in 2003. We flew in to Nairobi (or Nairobbery as it is called by some) and sat outside the airport for half an hour having a drink. We saw 3 bag snatches during that time (all by young teenagers).

Once we got to the Masai, it was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had.

To anyone still deciding whether to go on Safari or not, I only have one word for you: GO.:o

Dubaihammer, I am officially jealous!:D

jc

Archived