Beware of PickPockets in Barcelona

I traveled through England, France, Switzerland, and Italy last summer and have to say some cities were worse than others in terms of "feeling safe". As far as the police and enforcement of these thieves go, at the Eiffel Tower there is a police station in the base of one of the legs of the tower. Yet, day after day as we'd walk through there, there were lots of gypsies circulating through the crowds, cutting through the lines, etc. One tip we learned was that sometimes, they will send one person through to bump into you. Most people's first instinct is to put a hand on the location of where there wallet/money is stored. Someone else is watching where your hands go and will then make an attempt at removing your dollars a short time later.

One tip we learned was that sometimes, they will send one person through to bump into you. Most people's first instinct is to put a hand on the location of where there wallet/money is stored. Someone else is watching where your hands go and will then make an attempt at removing your dollars a short time later.

They are damn good, I almost respect them ;)

I think the whole cruise experince leads people to a false sense of security.

Definately keep whatever you don't need in your cabin safe and if in a major hotel do the same thing...however if you are in a less reliable place carry all your valuables out of sight in a money belt or neck bag.

Decide in your party who is the most observant have them carry the passports and most of the valuables.......As my children have gotten older I do let them carry their own passports in a money belt but every time they make a pit stop I ask them to check.....so what if my waist looks like It has a few extra inches:) plan your clothes accordingly.

I don't agree with a second wallet, why let a theif get anything...the fact that they touched your personal space is bad enough.

Another tip if you wear a fanny back or the waist money belt use use safety pins to keep the zippers secured.

And as someone else mentioned don't wear jewerly that you value...who cares if it is insured..what a hassel to replace and retrace ones footsteps if lost. In the malls I shop in here in SO CAL often people have jewerly pulled right of their necks, now that can be painful.

Thanks OP for the post and others for all these reminders as I have gotten lax in my last few trips abroad.

I used to carry fanny pack or small backpack, but I admit my paranoia has increased and I try to minimize so that everything will fit in my pockets or hands. I generally carry my camera, but it is small enough to fit in my pockets. I tend to carry one of those small plastic coated maps folded up to fit in my pocket, and I rarely stop to read it while standing on the street. We tend to pop in to a trendy shop, and while my DW looks at shoes or purses, I reconnoiter my location on the map and plan my trip to where ever we are trying to ultimately reach. This provides her with happiness and makes us look a bit less lost! :D I tend to wear technical outdoorsy shorts that have lots of pockets and secret pockets with zippers inside of outer pockets.

As far as packs and suitcases go, while travel locks are a pain with the new TSA rules, walking on the streets or in airports and train stations with unlocked luggage rolling behind you is pretty much asking for trouble. If you don't want to deal with locks that are pretty flimsy anyway, some high quality tyraps will do the job and you can remove them when you get to the hotel or ship or where ever you are going. The downside is that it would be pretty inconvenient for daily use while walking around a big city, when you want your camera, or chapstick, lipstick, or passport or map...etc.:D I know many many women just can't seem to go outside even less go shopping in Paris without their Gucci/Louis Vuitton/Prada purse, but I, personally, think it is simply begging for trouble to carry a purse when you are in such unfamiliar territory as a foreign metropolis in which you have never been before. I can't tell you how many times I have seen mature American ladies walking in this cities with a purse hung on their shoulder. I don't get it.:eek:

jc

I once (1998) lost my wallet with credit cards, driver's license, etc. in the Caribbean. It was carelessness, not a pick pocket. I felt really bummed out. Had to cancel cards and file a police report.

Anyway, I have read of this pick pocketing problem in the Mediterranean time and time again, especially Rome and Barcelona.

For those who have complained about natives haggling them in the Caribbean, I wonder which is more of a downer on your vacation?

I bought a handbag on Magellans that has wire in the shoulder strap and through the bottom so it can't be sliced. The strap is long enough to wear "across" your body with the bag itself in front. And there is a hooked clasp the goes through the ends of all the zippers, keeping them from being unzipped without you knowing it! It's also big enough to hold the SLR-style camera and a lens or two and battery. Then DH wears a money belt. We leave all valuables in a safe in the hotel or on the ship. We also have plain gold wedding rings we use for travel, as well as velcro watches. We've been all over Europe and, knock on wood, so far have not had any troubles.

Several years ago, we were targeted in Dublin in Clerys (sort of the Irish Harrod's) as we were going onto the up escalator. A band of gypsy children, maybe 10 of them, came up behind us and crowded around us the very instant we got on and their hands were everywhere! We knew what was happening and they knew we had nowhere to go. Because of our precautions, they didn't get anything and a couple of them got punched. I/we no longer worry about niceties if we should be targeted, because they count on us to try to be polite.

BTW, we adore Barcelona (it's our #2 favorite city in Europe) and are headed there again in November.:D

From all we learned (after we had booked with non-refundable air) Barcelona is really tops for this type of stuff. We plan to leave our good camera at home (sadly we had purchased it for this trip but not going to chance losing it--still paying it off) & are limiting luggage & not taking anything that cannot be replaced.. Will see the sights but not rest easy til we are safely onboard--also have to spend 1 day post cruise at a hotel on las ramblas--I will be a nervous wreck-- because even the most cautious of us will not be as clever as professional thieves.

We already know we have to leave our luggage with the hotel til check in & wondering if we should. For those apologists who equate this to any other city--do some google searching & you will see that this is the worst place with no police support They do not prosecute petty theft from what I have read.. some of the stories are really something

BTW: NY has been so much better after they had Rudy as the mayor --

Anyhow--we are going & hoping for the best when we spend our time in Barcelona

From all we learned (after we had booked with non-refundable air) Barcelona is really tops for this type of stuff. We plan to leave our good camera at home (sadly we had purchased it for this trip but not going to chance losing it--still paying it off) & are limiting luggage & not taking anything that cannot be replaced.. Will see the sights but not rest easy til we are safely onboard--also have to spend 1 day post cruise at a hotel on las ramblas--I will be a nervous wreck-- because even the most cautious of us will not be as clever as professional thieves.

We already know we have to leave our luggage with the hotel til check in & wondering if we should. For those apologists who equate this to any other city--do some google searching & you will see that this is the worst place with no police support They do not prosecute petty theft from what I have read.. some of the stories are really something

I agree, that Rudy made New York much better. I have been to Barcelona. You can make it out to be soddom and gomorrah, but it isn't that bad. It is a beautiful city. Las Ramblas is one of the more interesting places to spend time on the planet. The market is amazing the people are 99.9% regular people. Spending 2 days in fear there is just silly. JMHO

jc

jc

Lots of comments from everyone. We did really enjoy BCN up until the picking, There was a lot of police presence at La Ramble and major areas, we saw officers just walking up and down, Saw them clear our people on the metro, lots of cleaning crews wearing green clothing. The city is great and we will be back again, despite the theft.

As someone mentioned, have your credit card cancellation numbers available for all countries you will be travelling in for easy work. Phones don't work as well as North America and you need a phone card, not all credit companies have European toll-free number and the collect North American numbers don't always connect. http://www.tilley.com have good outdoor clothing with secret pockets, we were wearing this daily, but not used on one instance. The Police told us to always keep $ and ccards separate, in money belts or unusual locations, Cameras around your neck with good straps. Happy travelling everyone!

Al

I wouldn't carry the 2nd wallet as a decoy, I would just be intrigued if someone could really pickpocket me without me noticing. I would enjoy thinking of them finding the Monopoly money, also.

Since I don't want to get myself too nervous about this subject, I'm making it into sport.

Just came back from the VOS Miami to BCN, TA crossing. I'm writing a cruise review shortly, great trip, nice CC people, we missed the Madeira stop because of a coast guard helicopter rescue for a 91 yr old. Alicante was a surprising nice port, great Castillo (Fort) views. Seas were smooth, waves about 4 feet.

Stayed 3 nights in BCN, had a fabulous time with the Gaudi stuff, museums, Sagrada Familia. Used the metro everywhere. and just before transferring to the Splendour, my wife had her wallet lifted by a pro on the Metro, she didn't even notice till we left the train, lost 100 euros, 1gb photo chip and 3 ccards and interac. That's all. We reported the ccards stolen and that was difficult, because our AMEX provider didn't have a toll-free number in Europe, try calling collect. Next time, make sure you have the stolen ccard reporting phone numbers and phone card to call. Also we were very careful, using secret pockets or inner pockets, but the once time Judi didn't guess what.

The police told us there were 150 robberies per day in BCN. Very common. They like to grab the purse over the shoulder or camera bag and run, pass off. The thiefs look just tourists, maps in hand.

Then the Splendour was great to Venice. A different ship, only 1800 passengers compared to 3200 on the VOS, but many positive qualities.

Both ships had the new European menu, it was excellent, and service superb.

First night out from BCN to Cannes we had 15-18 foot waves, freak weather, the ship was rolling. We were OK, but many others had trouble, the bags were out and hung on each stairway, then the weather was fine.

Al

Our friend in Barcelona warned us about that, but DH always wears his Tilley vest everywhere :D:D

Looking forward to being there again to see how much of Sagrada Familia has been finished since last year.

Fran in Toronto

Barcelona just is not that bad. We walked all over the city for two days and didn't have a problem. You just have to be careful and sensible. Googling is not the same as going there - I've been to all the cities mentioned below, and Barcelona is, frankly, gorgeous and lots of fun.

If you've been googling you will also know that there are some fairly strict measures in place now in Barcelona, regarding anti-social behaviour.

There are pickpockets everywhere - Tokyo, London, Istanbul, even (gasp) in Helsinki and Stockholm, Toronto, Detroit, San Francisco, Melbourne, you name the city. If you are careful, you should be able to take your good camera. My husband took his good digital and never had any difficulty. The only time we did have a problem with the camera was Helsinki, when DH put it down and forgot to pick it up again. The hotel found it and sent it to us here in Toronto.

Go and enjoy. It is a beautiful city and there is lots to see, do and eat. Don't miss the experience.

Fran in Toronto

I have a Tilly hat and love it! :) Machine washes like new. We are in Barcelona in April, so I think we will go Tilly shopping....

If you are in Vancouver, they have a large shop on Granville St., not far up the hill from Granville Island.

I have a Tilly hat and love it! :) Machine washes like new. We are in Barcelona in April, so I think we will go Tilly shopping....

If you are in Vancouver, they have a large shop on Granville St., not far up the hill from Granville Island.

Here in the Big Smoke (TO) I am just ten minutes from the store. I have two of the very lovely skirts, and three tops, one pair of slacks which are my travelling-on-the-plane wear, with the inside zipper pockets. DH has the super-duper vest with about 20 pockets. He loves it. The stuff is expensive but washes like rags and comes up looking good with no ironing. Great travel wear, because it means I can carry cash and credit cards and NO PURSE!!!!!;)

Fran in Toronto

Here in the Big Smoke (TO) I am just ten minutes from the store. I have two of the very lovely skirts, and three tops, one pair of slacks which are my travelling-on-the-plane wear, with the inside zipper pockets. DH has the super-duper vest with about 20 pockets. He loves it. The stuff is expensive but washes like rags and comes up looking good with no ironing. Great travel wear, because it means I can carry cash and credit cards and NO PURSE!!!!!;)

Fran in Toronto

What is this stuff? I never heard of it.

What is this stuff? I never heard of it.

Go to http://www.tilley.com, and select your country.

It is a little expensive, at first glance - but most of the stuff washes out with little difficulty, you can roll it up in the suitcase, almost completely wrinkle free - slacks, skirts and shorts come with an inside zipper pocket, so do some of the jackets and stuff. ...and it wears and wears.

Fran

Earlier in this topic, a poster mentioned that she left her new camera at home, because she is too scared that it will be stolen. This is not the right attitude I think, and really not necessary. I visit cities as Barcelona 2-3 times a year, sometimes for work, sometimes for a short weekendbreak with my girlfriend. I ALWAYS take my dSLR with me and leave the camerabag in the safe at the hotel. I walk on the streets with the camera in my hand, the safetycord twisted around my arm/hand. Nobody robbed me.

Believe me, it's not that bad in Barcelona or Rome. But the people who will be robbed, are often obvious tourists, walking with their maps, searching for money to help poor people or give some coins to the artists at Las Ramblas.

Like I said before in this topic, act like a skilled and professional tourist, not like an amateur. The thieves are GOOD, but if you watch your stuff, they don't have a chance. They usually not rob you by physical contact.

People give these cities a bad image and I think it has something to do with the 'unknown'. For example, some people feel more unsafe in places they never visit before than their own city where for example more people are being killed in 1 day, than people being robbed at Las Ramblas in 1 week ;)

Earlier in this topic, a poster mentioned that she left her new camera at home, because she is too scared that it will be stolen. This is not the right attitude I think, and really not necessary. I visit cities as Barcelona 2-3 times a year, sometimes for work, sometimes for a short weekendbreak with my girlfriend. I ALWAYS take my dSLR with me and leave the camerabag in the safe at the hotel. I walk on the streets with the camera in my hand, the safetycord twisted around my arm/hand. Nobody robbed me.

I agree. DH brought his brand-new, Sony DSLR on our Med cruise, which is what we purchased it for. Why would anyone buy something to use specifically on the trip of a lifetime and then not bring it? Keeping track of one's possessions is really not a burden; it's just smart traveling.

JHMO. YMMV.

Karen

I've just got back from 4 days in Barcelona. Pickpocketing is a VERY real problem there - as I discovered from looking at other travel sites in my search for tips. There's one site I came across which is devoted to listing the many scams and tricks used, and the worst places.

The worst area for pickpockets are Las Ramblas, particularly watching the street entertainment, and any very busy tourist attractions. We saw 2 men clearly scanning a group watching an acrobat - made strong eye contact with them and they walked away. The other places to be careful are on the metro and on escalators. One trick is to grab a bag or wallet as the metro door is closing, leaving the victim on the metro and the thief back on the platform and long gone. The bird mess on the shoulder trick, asking directions, asking to change money, children crying, passing over a baby to the victim - all very commmon and widely used. Another scam to be careful of is card or dice games which appear to be easy to win, the tricksters use accomplices to appear as if they're losing and entice tourists into a game. We saw an American in an angry exchange on Las Ramblas yesterday, having lost $350!

Tips are never keep wallets in back pockets - even buttoned pockets - and as far as possible use zipped or fastened front pockets, only carry one card and the amount of money you need for the day (preferably not in a bulky wallet), carry bags & camera cases across the body where they can't be ripped from a shoulder. If using a wallet on a string or a backpack, keep them tucked inside clothing. These thieves will use knives to slit a strap on a bag or case so make sure straps are hidden or are quite substantial. I saw advice not to carry backpacks but I carry so much stuff - specs, maps, water, suncream - that I couldn't do without it, but I did padlock together the two zipper ends. Never, ever put a bag on the floor in a bar or restaurant, keep it on your person.

Having said all that, it's a wonderful city, with so many delightful things to see and do that I wouldn't have missed it for the world, and will go back. Don't leave your camera behind - there are too many wonderful photos to take - just keep it in your hand or in a case/bag across your body.

Remember these scum will always go for the easy pickings so make yourself difficult to rob and they won't bother.

Archived