Help with transfer to Southampton

I see Woodford recommended over an over. I also see that it is about $250 USD for 2 to get from Heathrow to Southampton.

For those of you familiar with Woodford, will they hook couples up with other couples looking to make the transfer at the same time so that a ride can be shared making it a little nmore affordable? (I have tried posting many times on the Roll Call board for our cruise, but no luck finding anyone who going our way that wants to share after months of seeking)

Also, are there Taxi comapnies that pre-arrangements can be made with that would cost less than a private executive/limo type company such as Woodford?

The easiest and cheapest way is to take National Express from Heathrow bus terminal to Southampton. Then, take a taxi to the dock. The bus ride is about 1.5 hours, they are very comfortable buses - every time hubby and I travel to England, we take that line from Heathrow to Gatwick.

I see Woodford recommended over an over. I also see that it is about $250 USD for 2 to get from Heathrow to Southampton.

For those of you familiar with Woodford, will they hook couples up with other couples looking to make the transfer at the same time so that a ride can be shared making it a little nmore affordable? (I have tried posting many times on the Roll Call board for our cruise, but no luck finding anyone who going our way that wants to share after months of seeking)

Also, are there Taxi comapnies that pre-arrangements can be made with that would cost less than a private executive/limo type company such as Woodford?

Most taxi companies in Southampton will pick up at Heathrow or Gatwick by arrangement.

http://www.atstaxis.co.uk/ (note they have prices, but they are out of date by 2 or 3 years)

http://www.westquaycars.com/

http://www.infotaxi.org/city-2648.htm

Karen

For those of you who took National Express Bus to Soputhampton, how is it managing the cruise luggage? Does the Bus company have any restrictions on the number of pieces? How frequently do th buses run from Heathrow to Southampton?

National Express do have a luggage limitation - you're allowed a maximum of 2 pieces of luggage neither of which may be > 20kg plus hand luggage. Its not weighed in or anything like airlines so you're OK if you're marginally over, but it only needs a jobsworth or a ery full bus for the driver to become more stringent.

Coaches are very frequent, broadly hourly.

The bus terminus at Southampton is a 5 minute taxi ride from the cruise terminals.

When you come out of Customs, you'll be on the first floor of the terminal. You just need to look for the signs for buses. The route will probably take you down a curving ramp to the ground floor, where there will be further signs. These will probably take you further down into the underground tunnels. If you're using a trolley, there are lifts up to the bus station from the underground tunnels. IIRC, they're almost opposite the entrance to the Tube station ticket hall.

For Terminal 2 there is no need to go down the tunnels to the Underground Station then up the lifts again to the bus station as T2 is the closest terminal to the bus station, less than 100m away.

Just go down one level to the departures level (ground level) then go out front and cross the crossing at the far right hand side of the terminal facing out.

The bus station is in front of you after going across another crossing.

The route is signposted after you come out front of terminal but its not really needed, its that close.

If its raining of course, best go the longer tunnel route

Most taxi companies in Southampton will pick up at Heathrow or Gatwick by arrangement.

http://www.atstaxis.co.uk/ (note they have prices, but they are out of date by 2 or 3 years)

http://www.westquaycars.com/

http://www.infotaxi.org/city-2648.htm

Karen

Has anyone done buisness with or can vouch for any of these Southampton Taxi companies. I wnat to know that if I make arrangements with one to meet me at heathrow that they wioll honro that and show up. Do not want to be stranded and scrambling in Heathrow

I ahve quotes from Atstaxis and Westquaycars, both located in southampton. Does anyone have any experience or worf on the reliability of either of these 2 companies. If you book with them, will they show up, especially if they want payment in advance.

harrtchr - Check the 3rd web site on Karen's list. It shows reviews on taxis. Not very favorable Amalgamated Taxi Service review, the 1st web site listed.

We are also looking for quotes from car services.

Hi!

I'm on the 8/9 sailing out of Southampton. Anyone on that curise too?

Called a few taxi companies and their prices were around $325 which I thought was a bit much for a 1 hour car ride. I'm arriving in Heathrow, terminal 3, at 9:05. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get luggage, go through customs and walk to the National Bus terminal? If I purchase my ticket on line and am late can I just exchange for a later bus?

Thanks, Chantal

Hi!

I'm on the 8/9 sailing out of Southampton. Anyone on that curise too?

Called a few taxi companies and their prices were around $325 which I thought was a bit much for a 1 hour car ride. I'm arriving in Heathrow, terminal 3, at 9:05. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to get luggage, go through customs and walk to the National Bus terminal? If I purchase my ticket on line and am late can I just exchange for a later bus?

Thanks, Chantal

This is exactly what we did. Allow a good 2 hours just in case of delays (which we had). You have to go through immigration, then baggage pick-up, then customs, then walk to the coach station. Our plane had to sit on the tarmac, and then they weren't ready for the luggage. We quite literally skidded up to our bus with (no kidding!) 45 seconds to spare!! Our plane arrived at 9:30 and our bus tickets were for 11:00 (I think; somewhere around there).

Yes, get the tickets online, print the voucher and give them to the bus driver. We used National Express 3 times, and had vouchers for all of them. Worked great!

I ahve quotes from Atstaxis and Westquaycars, both located in southampton. Does anyone have any experience or worf on the reliability of either of these 2 companies. If you book with them, will they show up, especially if they want payment in advance.

harrtchr - Check the 3rd web site on Karen's list. It shows reviews on taxis. Not very favorable Amalgamated Taxi Service review, the 1st web site listed.

We are also looking for quotes from car services.

I use ATS all the time, mainly because they have a large fleet & (now) know me (I went through a couple of periods where I had to use taxis for work every day & wanted a cab co that could cope with the school trade and extras even when it was raining)

I think that review was regards timing, and yes they can let you down with regard to timing - they have been up to 30 minutes late - BUT they have always picked me up.

However, these are on short hop journeys around the city where the drivers are only asked to take the jobs 10 minutes before you want to be picked up - if they are busy on another job, or out of the area it takes a while to get to you.

My understanding is that jobs that are out of the city, such as airport pickups, are given out way in advance (they have to be in order to get the cab to the pick up :) ), and that many drivers 'fight' over them as they guarantee 'ensured earnings' for a few hours (over possible earnings if they can get the trade)

I spoke to my cab driver on Thursday night - I got the impression he didn't do it often, but his advice was as soon as you get off the plane is to find a phone and call the company to ensure a cab is on the way and to get the estimated time of arrival.

Another thing to consider is that the taxi companies themselves have to be registered with the Southampton council, http://www.southampton.gov.uk/licensing/taxis/default.asp#0 , so are to some extent accountable (FYI the individual drivers also have to be licensed)

Both West Quay Cars and ATS are large Southampton taxi companies and well established and it is obviously in their interests to be 'trustworthy'

However, I must add, the furthest out I have been by taxi is 10-15 miles, so all my comments on long distance pickups are just hear say.

Karen

My TA is trying to discourage me from using private taxi to get from Heathrow to Southampton. Say's it's not very reliable. Of course, I listen to this and become afraid of paying for a service in advance and then, since they now have my money, nobody will show and I will have to scramble in Heathrow to get to Southampton somehow.

I have contacted Westquay, which wants their payment in advance, and hope that there reply relieves some of my concerns over being stranded and that, as you put it, they will be 'trustworthy'.

I was considering using the cruise line transfer, which is around the same price as Westquay, but I am flying in on Alitalia wich is notrious for being late and I have heard that the cruise line transfer will not wait unless the cruise line made the air arrangements. I made my own air arrangements, so I'm not confident that I can rely on the cruise line transfer.

My TA is trying to discourage me from using private taxi to get from Heathrow to Southampton. Say's it's not very reliable. Of course, I listen to this and become afraid of paying for a service in advance and then, since they now have my money, nobody will show and I will have to scramble in Heathrow to get to Southampton somehow.

I have contacted Westquay, which wants their payment in advance, and hope that there reply relieves some of my concerns over being stranded and that, as you put it, they will be 'trustworthy'.

I was considering using the cruise line transfer, which is around the same price as Westquay, but I am flying in on Alitalia wich is notrious for being late and I have heard that the cruise line transfer will not wait unless the cruise line made the air arrangements. I made my own air arrangements, so I'm not confident that I can rely on the cruise line transfer.

I have another suggestion. Try this number for Londontown.com's transportation reservations:

011 800 00 566 366

This is for calls from the US and Canada. Talk to them and see if they can set up a private transfer for you. We used Krest Transportation on our first trip into Heathrow, and booked them through Londontown.com. They were extremely nice and efficient. However, the web site says the transfers are into London, so call and ask about Southampton.

Personally, I would do National Express as long as your luggage isn't too much. If you book online for a bus 3 hours after your arrival, then you should be OK.

I know that Woodford is expensivr, however after traveling overnight from te US, the last thing I want is to do bus and taxi. Last year, we were met by a very helpful and courtious driver who took us to our ship. My husbnad and I slept for the entire transfer...2 hrs. We woke refreshed and able to have fun that evening. This year we are sharing with another couple so the cost is divided by 2 much better than sitiing on a bus and to me...worth the money. If I were arriving the day before, I would consider using National Express. I tried booking a taxi, but they never corresponded in a timely manner and I want reliability.

Karen

If I were arriving the day before, I would consider using National Express. I tried booking a taxi, but they never corresponded in a timely manner and I want reliability.

Karen

Actually, National Express impressed me very much with their punctuality, and delays would be on the road, which is beyond any driver's control, private or bus.

However, I agree that if you are flying in from overseas the same day as the cruise, a trip from a London airport to Southampton would be tiring, and a private car would be more comfortable. We took NE into London after our flight, and it was about 40+ minutes with bad traffice inside London.

I did a search for taxi quotes to Southampton from Heathrow and came up with Gomi Uk (am i allowed to say this on the board??) who would be willing to do it for under $150 but you have to pay the airport parking (not sure how much that is). I was reasonably impressed by that. It is not a personal recommendation of course. What I will recommend and have used myself is the taxi search "118me" - various local companies give you quotes and you can get a variety of prices. You do need to sign up to it first, but it is completely free.

Panda, it will depend on how many people and how much luggage you have. Obviously the larger the vehicle, the larger the price.....

In our case (and I don't have the exact amount in front of me ) it was for 3 adults and 4 pieces of luggage for around 80 - 85 pounds.

Archived