Solstice Stateroom Sleuth: what are you going to book...

darrencantwait

Schplinky -- in CruiseNewsDaily, they wrote that non Aqua passengers could book Blu, contingent on space available...for a fee. Somebody previously mentioned that there will be 5 restaurants on Solstice (don't know how true this is). If that is true, I imagine the Aqua passengers are going to want to try a few other venues, opening up seats.

How would they know in advance if there are going to be seats available? If the cabins are booked and one is assigned dining in that restaurant for the duration, then those seats would be occupied unless those passengers are dining elsewhere. Will Aqua class guests have to keep someone informed?

How about the free seats? If I am a party of two I would not to be seated at a table for 4 based on the fact there are two seats there.

Seems to me to present quite a condundrum and I daresay the X phone reps do not fully understand it themselves.

If they really didn't let TA book up blocks of cabins then I wish they would extend this type of program (Captain's club get exclusive first two weeks) to all bookings when they open each year. Gives their loyal customers a chance for the better cabins - especially those of us who book our own or deal with local brick and mortar TA's who don't have the connections or selling capability and perks as large agencies. Now that would be a Captain's club benefit that wouldn't cost them anything and would be a great benefit for members - a fighting chance for those desirable cabins!

I am going to have to disagree with this. We both work full time and although I have access to the internet all day, there are times when cruises open up and we are unavailable to take advantage of early booking.

In the past, I have done all the booking directly through Celebrity and it is work!

That is the reason we have a great TA who DOES grab blocks of cabins for her clients because she knows what we want & we almost ALWAYS book what she grabs within a day or 2!! Her clients had about 75-80% of the aft cabins on Connie in March, there are about 60+ of her clients all on the Sep't Connie TA, we booked immediately when it opened up--through her!!!

She does all the work and I don't have to hang on hold for 30+ minutes on the phone.:D PLUS we get great perks from her!!!

Hi, gave my TA my captains club number yesterday and this morning she was able to book us C1 aft cabin 9382 for 3/8/09. Pretty sure not the balcony the Millenium class has with the FV cabins but at least we'll be able to try "back of the ship" for a change. BTW, $1430/pp

Getting back to the original question, I would book a plain and simple regular deluxe veranda cabin on deck 7 midship.

Until I can check the cabins in person, I would not consider one of suites as of yet.

Personally I've done a CC on the Millenium class ship and didn't care about the extra amenities, I didn't think it's worth the money.

Started cruising in insides and found them too noisy with the mechanics in the walls. Had this happen on three of the Millenium class ships. I've been in an oceanview on deck three (guest relations deck) and that was nice for the price.

I just had a Celebrity Suite on the Summit, now that was a great suite. Not only for the space, but you get off the ship first and that made debarkation a breeze.

So my first pick on the new Solstice would be a plain veranda. Love the interior layouts as well.

There's no such thing as a bad cruise.

How would they know in advance if there are going to be seats available? If the cabins are booked and one is assigned dining in that restaurant for the duration, then those seats would be occupied unless those passengers are dining elsewhere. Will Aqua class guests have to keep someone informed?

How about the free seats? If I am a party of two I would not to be seated at a table for 4 based on the fact there are two seats there.

Seems to me to present quite a condundrum and I daresay the X phone reps do not fully understand it themselves.

My guess is that the vacancies will come not from Aqua guests dinging elsewhere but from the times when they don't sell all the Aqua cabins and they sell them off in Happy hour just as a regular cabin. I don't think they will track who is eating and who isn't on a given night. Besides, if our friends go to the specialty restaurant, we don't necessarily want to share our table with strangers because there was space free if we stay behind.

Schplinky -- in CruiseNewsDaily, they wrote that non Aqua passengers could book Blu, contingent on space available...for a fee. Somebody previously mentioned that there will be 5 restaurants on Solstice (don't know how true this is). If that is true, I imagine the Aqua passengers are going to want to try a few other venues, opening up seats.

Five restaurants? Interesting. Well, it depends how you define it. It could be five specialties or five if you count the main room, blu, the buffet, the poolside grill and the regular specialty restaurant. Time will tell, I guess.

I actually like the not knowing. We're so obsessive about cruises that it's nice not knowing stuff for a change.

Well...it seems from the deck plans to me that the main dining room will only be two levels. So for those who think the ship is huge, it looks like the main dining room is still only two levels. And there is still a main dining rooms since we were asked what seating we wanted.

I too will take it as it comes, looking forward to it the entire way. :)

Schplinky -- my first impression of the Aqua class connection with Blu was not that it would be the dining room for the Aqua class, but simply a perk that you can dine there without charge and will have priority reservation privileges. If this is the case, and X is hoping to generate revenue with this restaurant, it wouldn't surprise me if later changes the Aqua class to getting 5 free meals at Blu, or something like that if they find Aqua Class filling the space too much (similar to how suites on Azamara get two nights in specialty restaurants).

Just a thought.

Schplinky -- my first impression of the Aqua class connection with Blu was not that it would be the dining room for the Aqua class, but simply a perk that you can dine there without charge and will have priority reservation privileges. If this is the case, and X is hoping to generate revenue with this restaurant, it wouldn't surprise me if later changes the Aqua class to getting 5 free meals at Blu, or something like that if they find Aqua Class filling the space too much (similar to how suites on Azamara get two nights in specialty restaurants).

Just a thought.

I see why you would think that but I can't help but notice there are 130 AQ rooms with two passengers each. The restaurant holds 130 diners at two seatings. That seems a little too coincidental, but may be just that. Also, if what we're paying for is access to this room, it would mean they have to bee able to accommodate 10% of the ship's pax at one of two venues on any given night (three if you count the buffet), which seems too flexible.

I could be wrong.

I love not knowing.

Also, it does say "exclusive access" in their description. Just a thought that to me says others eating there will be the exception, not the norm.

Just a thought.

Per my Celebrity sales rep, Blu is the dining room for Aqua Class, not a specialty restaurant. Makes sense as the numbers add up perfectly as Schplinky pointed out. 130 seats in two seatings and 130 cabins on that level.

Well that would allow for a much more intimate dining experience. Nice perk.

I agree. And I am also waiting for more info about any adult only areas on the ship. Aqua class are double occupancy and this could - I hope - mean that X has recognized the need to offer adult exclusive areas on these ships. That would be enough to make me consider Solstice.

Imagine a whole class of cabins with spa focus, private dining and adults only to boot. That would be innovation at its best:D.

I agree. And I am also waiting for more info about any adult only areas on the ship. Aqua class are double occupancy and this could - I hope - mean that X has recognized the need to offer adult exclusive areas on these ships. That would be enough to make me consider Solstice.

Imagine a whole class of cabins with spa focus, private dining and adults only to boot. That would be innovation at its best:D.

Double occupancy doesn't automatically mean adult. One adult can travel with a child...

I may need to rebook my cabin class. :o

I've seen the lead in rates for Inside, Oceanview, standard balcony, CC and Deluxe. Now what they are calling Deluxe.. used to be SS and up. Can't tell with the spreadsheet which was sent to me considering the new categories.

Suffice, to say, unless you are booking a minimum inside, you will be in the $1000+ range with port and tax per person. The only reason I can see to book early is to get the cabin number of your choice. New ship.. or not, the itineraries are.. been there, done that.

Be prepared for hold times. During last Friday's RCCL sale even with telephone backup from Celebrity reps, hold time was in excess of 45 minutes.

I didn't have to wait on hold, but then again I was on the phone at 7am my time(Central). I was able to get my customer's first choice in cabins.

I still haven't received a fax confirmation. but Celebrity said they are having problems with email and fax on this ship. I've called about 6 times but hopefully I will have received it by the morning. I did confirm prices and cabin #'s though.

Diane in Music City

While I love the concept Kim, what about us "child free" couples who would rather have a suite for more space being "forced" to take a lesser cabin for an adult experience???? Seems rather unfair to make a certain cabin available to an "adults only" environment when most of the upper suite pax are definitely not interested in kids!!! We just don't "do" 192 sq ft any more. (before I get flamed, as Finely Cruising knows, I am way under 60):D

While I love the concept Kim, what about us "child free" couples who would rather have a suite for more space being "forced" to take a lesser cabin for an adult experience???? Seems rather unfair to make a certain cabin available to an "adults only" environment when most of the upper suite pax are definitely not interested in kids!!! We just don't "do" 192 sq ft any more. (before I get flamed, as Finely Cruising knows, I am way under 60):D

I agree and book suites when I cruise on HAL where I feel there is value, not on X where there is not, for me. It is not just about the space for me but the perks as well.

No, the scenario would not be ideal but I would sure love the option for adult only spaces. I would give up the space for the ambiance but that is just me.

Probably just wishful thinking!

Double occupancy doesn't automatically mean adult. One adult can travel with a child...

True, but that doesn't happen all that often and the sub-set of those who would pay $1600 for their kids just to eat in Blu (and not likely be eligible to enter the thermal suite which normally has an age restriction) is even smaller.

I think Blu is shaping up to be a good adult environment!

How do these cabin selection linked dining venues work on other lines? Someone mentioned Cunard...can anyone expand on what they know about how that line or another line handles?

Your dining assignment card/sign and sail card, name and cabin number.

Archived