TSA Has List Of Approved Luggage Locks

Host Walt

Have to put in an endorsement for the TSA approved locks. Have used them several times now without any problems. In fact, for some reason TSA pulled one of my bags on a recent business trip, opened/inspected it, left a little card saying they'd done so and relocked the bag. No harm. We bought ours at a luggage store in one of the outlet malls near San Antonio.

One word of caution here. These are locks approved by the Transportation Security Administration, a United States Government Agency. This does not mean that if you travel overseas on your outbound leg from an overseas airport that your lock doesn't get cut. Some of these manufactures, such as Magellan's, says if your lock is cut by airport security, they will replace it free of charge.

In May we found a printed note inside our luggage that said our bag had been inspected. Guess what! It was a Samsonite hardside suitcase with a combination lock that we set ourselves. Guess nothing is private these days. :rolleyes: This was on a trip on Air Jamaica from St. Lucia to Atlanta.

We bought ours from Magellan also, their prices are very competative and they have the key type and also the combination type. Didn`t use them to Europe in March as I know security in England will cut them off....jean :cool:

Thanks, Walt...had just about decided to either leave my luggage unlocked or buy cheap locks when I noticed that Tumi locks are on the approved list. (I was concerned about the cost of replacing them if they should have to be cut off). Thanks again for the info.

Trinity

• 2 weeks later...

Please read my posting regarding being ripped off by the TSA. My lock was in place when we checked our luggage in and in place when we picked it up. Only our valuables were missing !

I know..............our fault........do not leave valuables in your luggage.

Since this happened, I have heard of many others who have been the victims of the TSA, especially in Miami.

SHIPPY

• 2 weeks later...

Just recieved some from ebags last week. I ordered them after reading this post. They have some floresent colored ones that can be used to identify luggage as well as serve the purpose of keeping the luggage closed. I ordered these and the brass set. Both seem equally durable.

Just returned last night from a business trip and had one of my bags opened and inspected by TSA. (Out of my sight as the only way I knew was when I opened the bag and found the TSA inspection card inside.) I was using TSA approved locks and they obviously unlocked the bag, inspected it and locked the bag after they were done. No harm, no foul and contrary to Skippy's experience, nothing missing or even out of place. There are no guarantees but I'm sticking with the TSA locks.

I received an email today containing this experience:

I recently purchased new luggage that came with the new TSA locks on them. I used one of the pieces on a trip to Boston last month and when I picked up my luggage the lock was not only cut off but gone with a TSA notice that my luggage had been searched. The lock was clearly marked and identified.

I am aware from personal experience that the TSA has a quality control problem with its staff...mainly because the rules change frequently and training time is limited.

My suggestion is that the traveler just plan on their luggage being opened and checked regardless of locks. The likelihood that an airline worker will open and rifle through a suitcase these days intuitively seems quite unlikely, but still possible.

My wife never packs any jewelry or other items of consequence in checked luggage. If we have anything at all of any value it always goes in our carry on bags.

When I travel on business and have a lot of confidential material (that would be of no interest to a luggage handler) I check that in a large briefcase (called a sample case or lawyer's bag) with both a TSA lock and a plastic seal.

When the briefcase is checked, I seldom find anything out of order and the case is usually relocked with the TSA lock and a note. The seal is never replaced.

Was watching Dan Rather on the National news tonight and they had a segment on theft from luggage. They had a TSA inspector clearly rifling through and stealing from luggage and caught on camera. I will still lock mine with TSA locks and I guess just take my chances....jean :cool:

Was watching Dan Rather on the National news tonight and they had a segment on theft from luggage. They had a TSA inspector clearly rifling through and stealing from luggage and caught on camera. I will still lock mine with TSA locks and I guess just take my chances....jean :cool:

As Jean says, use locks or seals. It might make a difference. And don't pack anything valuable or attractive to sneak thieves.

Final thought, don't let TV sensationalization ruin your trip or respect for the honest people who are predominant out there.

Rather put that on because he felt it was unique enough to be newsworthy. Think about it. The TSA employee on camera will likely be (or has been) charged and the others who might have been so inclined, having seen the news item, will be aware they may be on camera if they do the deed.

The real issue is that checked luggage is susceptible to loss or pilferage in a lot of different places ranging from the sortation areas to the carousel and from dockside to your stateroom.

Just use common sense and you will be OK.

Archived