If you could change one thing about RCI...

cs

Perhaps this has changed, but I've been on one RCI cruise - Vision of the Seas repositioning from Vancouver to Hawaii in 2000 - and in general it was lovely but I hated, H-A-T-E-D, the fact that there was music literally everywhere you went. I like to read and I like to hear the sounds of the sea, but except for our cabin (fortunately a balcony) and one little corner I found on the promenade deck, it simply wasn't possible - inside or outside.

One fairly chilly night I went up to the top deck (swimming pool,etc.) very late. I was the only person there ..... BUT ..... nevertheless they had recorded music playing! I even went to the main desk to ask (since I was the only person) if it could be turned off but no one had any idea how to do that. I'm sure the effect was magnified because the cruise was 14 days, 10 of them at sea ................ but shouldn't you be able to hear the waves when you're at sea on a cruise ship?

I almost didn't want to cruise again but it hadn't been like that on a previous Carnival cruise (even the 'party ship' had quiet spots, including the top deck at night) so I ventured onto a Norwegian cruise, and it was possible to - easily - find silent spots to just read and listen to or look at the waves. Are all RCI ships like this?

On a recent transatlantic cruise on JOS, we were bombarded every sea day (seven) with very loud art auctions, art seminars, art talks, etc. from the Centrum on Deck 4. The announcer was so loud that he could be heard all the way up the open centrum to Deck 10. This went on for hours each day, and made using the Customer Service desk, the Tour desk, a bar and the internet corner (7 computers) all on Deck 4 within 20 feet of the auctioneer extremely difficult because NOTHING could be heard with the auctioneer shouting. Why can't this type of function be held in an empty cocktail lounge, or the movie theater, or somewhere where they don't inconvenience and annoy scores of other passengers, as they do on other cruise lines. Inconveniencing a majority of passengers to accomodate 25-40 people taking up all the chairs and sofas in the centrum does not seem courteous or considerate to me, and to many other passengers on our cruise who commented unfavorably on it all week long.

Perhaps this has changed, but I've been on one RCI cruise - Vision of the Seas repositioning from Vancouver to Hawaii in 2000 - and in general it was lovely but I hated, H-A-T-E-D, the fact that there was music literally everywhere you went. I like to read and I like to hear the sounds of the sea, but except for our cabin (fortunately a balcony) and one little corner I found on the promenade deck, it simply wasn't possible - inside or outside.

One fairly chilly night I went up to the top deck (swimming pool,etc.) very late. I was the only person there ..... BUT ..... nevertheless they had recorded music playing! I even went to the main desk to ask (since I was the only person) if it could be turned off but no one had any idea how to do that. I'm sure the effect was magnified because the cruise was 14 days, 10 of them at sea ................ but shouldn't you be able to hear the waves when you're at sea on a cruise ship?

I almost didn't want to cruise again but it hadn't been like that on a previous Carnival cruise (even the 'party ship' had quiet spots, including the top deck at night) so I ventured onto a Norwegian cruise, and it was possible to - easily - find silent spots to just read and listen to or look at the waves. Are all RCI ships like this?

When I'm looking for a quiet spot to relax I usually sit out on my balcony. I can hear the sound of the ocean quite clearly out there.

I was reading on the Princess boards that there is a HUGE waitlist for traditional dining. From what I’ve read, and I have not read all, it seems they are not happy cruisers. Princess gives out those little pagers you get in restaurants because there are long waits for tables. :eek:

Having cruised Princess, that is not true. We never waited more than 3 minutes for a table.

We love Anytime Dining. I wish RCCL had it too. You have to go to one of the alternate restaurants for that on RCCL.

I would love to have the rules enforced on RCCL. If they won't do that, do away with the rules. (Dress codes, kids in solarium, babies in pool, chair hogs etc.) I would also like to be able to buy liquor onboard as we were able to previously. Even if it is one bottle per cabin ( wow that would be a fight to see who wins that one as I would get scotch and husband would get rum or vodka.) or at a max 2 per cabin---no matter the number of people per cabin.

I would not like the anytime dining, but would love to have different dining times for different levels of the dining room. An example would be 6:00, 7:00and 8:30. We could choose our times. Early seating is too early for us and late is fine, but even though we don't go to bed right after dinner, we are still full when we go to bed. 7:00 would be perfect for us. I know, I am a dreamer.

I would love to have access to an ice machine on every deck like you do in hotels. I get so tired of having to call room service at night/early morning, or hunt down my room steward during the day to fill my ice bucket. Yes I know theoretically the room steward should have it full all the time, but rarely have I had this happen. Plus I find that it melts very quickly in their ice buckets.

The only thing I would change would be to add self service laundry, we are fortunate enough to be able to take long cruises and would love not to have to pack so much.

Having cruised Princess, that is not true. We never waited more than 3 minutes for a table.

We love Anytime Dining. I wish RCCL had it too. You have to go to one of the alternate restaurants for that on RCCL.

Have you cruised during the summer, or during other school holidays, when the ship is near capacity? This is when I must cruise, and when anytime dining is reported to have long waits and numerous cruisers closed out of the traditional seating.

We cruised on the Grand Princess in early December 2005 (not a holiday week) and the anytime dining was a disaster. I would never choose it on purpose but traditional was unavailable, even booking 11 months in advance. Service was abysmal (the wait staff were beyond indifferent) and the only time we didn't I think anytime is the default and chances are you will not clear a waiting list in the 400s. The only time we didn't have to wait with a beeper was at 5:45pm. The maitre 'd was an ass, but I guess he felt bombarded with unhappy people. We were nice and he still snapped our heads off. After a 45 minute wait, we had to stand in another line just to inquire how much longer it would be. I would much rather have a set dining time and know that my table is waiting for me.

If I could ask for one thing from RCI, it would be 10-day southern itineraries from Florida.

If I could ask for one thing from RCI, it would be 10-day southern itineraries from Florida.

I would suggest checking out the Celebrity Constellation's 10 night Ultimate Caribbean cruise. X is owned by Royal.

Ports of call: Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Philipsburg, Netherlands Antilles; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apparently it is true for many. Maybe it would have been better if you had just stated that it had not been your experience and then told others which ships and when you sailed. :rolleyes:

in my opinion, anytime dining DOES exist on RCCL fleet.. you have the option of 24/7 room service and windjammer anytime at your conveinence up to closing at 9 pm, then if you still need or want a late snack, the solarium or promonade cafe is always open 24/7 for burgers, hot dogs, fries and pizza. (as is room service with an extended menu)

you can also order off the dining room menu for a great tasty alternative in your cabin if you like to eat on the bed watching Tv or on the balcony. We use the wheelie transport cart they bring as our table since space is at a premium. Fits well between the beds and you can sit in the bed and have a nice table to use. You can also order drinks for room service, though it is so much faster to just get them and bring them back to the cabin. And if you are brave like me, pack a bottle of something in ChECKED luggage ONLY.. we have NEVER had a problem getting all our items to the cabin. we do use TSA locks as well. Keep in mind that each and every glass you are served in becomes your property.. you bought it with the drink.. I see tons of glasses all over the pooldeck and elsewhere because I am certain many do not know this. The sad part is they will rewash and resell same said glass:eek: The first time I kept a glass I fely guilty because I thought I would be stealing it :eek:: cabin steward will bring you nice packing boxes and tissue paper upon request to pack them nice to get them home. And

exception is the glasses from the DR.. you cannot keep those. and room service you are not supposed to keep those either. I have so many now, I either give them away to our table mates or ask for the drink in a regular plastic cup (4.95) in reg cup

Next tip: If you are a rum drinker, or anything else for that matter whenit comes to a mixed drink.. DO NOT BE SHY TO ASK FOR A DOUBLE SHOT they will gladly accomodate teh rewuest and at no additional charge.. Now THAT is the way to get a buzz.. why buy 2 drinks when yu can get a double at no extra cost??

Hope these tips help someone outthere in cyberland :):D

Thx Beary for the 2 new to me great tips! Are you sure the reg. drink glasses are ours & not just the specialty glasses? Never thot of the cart as a table or knew the dbl shot was free. Have pd for so many weak drinks! :eek:

Katie, as usual you have great ideas. Want to lobby for the new dining times? LOL

I would suggest checking out the Celebrity Constellation's 10 night Ultimate Caribbean cruise. X is owned by Royal.

Ports of call: Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; Philipsburg, Netherlands Antilles; Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thanks for the tip - never been to St. Kitts before so that's attractive. Went to the Celebrity website to look at prices and noticed they also have two 7-day from San Juan on the Summit in late Dec '08 that goes to Dominica, Grenada and Bonaire, three other places I've never seen.

A lot...And I mean a lot more Seafood selections...I am talking a Seafood buffet if need be.Fried Shrimp,,Shrimp Scampi,Shrimp Kabobs,Shrimp Gumbo,Shrimp etoufee,Boiled Shrimp,Coconut Shrimp,popcornshrimp,beer battered shrimp,shrimp cocktail, fried catfish,baked redfish,broiled flounder, shrimp topped fish, BBQ crabs,King crab,Blue Stone (whatever) stuffed crab,crab cakes,crab&mango salad, oysters on a half shell,fried oysters,clams,calamari,crawfish,lobster,

oh...and some hushpuppies and a Diet Dr Pepper or...Some of my Mamas homemade sweettea.

And more chocolate..But I wont go there..Other than say...Chocolate covered stawberries everynight.:o

oh...and MUTS

in my opinion, anytime dining DOES exist on RCCL fleet.. you have the option of 24/7 room service and windjammer anytime at your conveinence up to closing at 9 pm, then if you still need or want a late snack, the solarium or promonade cafe is always open 24/7 for burgers, hot dogs, fries and pizza. (as is room service with an extended menu) (1)

you can also order off the dining room menu for a great tasty alternative in your cabin if you like to eat on the bed watching Tv or on the balcony. We use the wheelie transport cart they bring as our table since space is at a premium. Fits well between the beds and you can sit in the bed and have a nice table to use. (2)

You can also order drinks for room service, though it is so much faster to just get them and bring them back to the cabin. And if you are brave like me, pack a bottle of something in ChECKED luggage ONLY.. we have NEVER had a problem getting all our items to the cabin. we do use TSA locks as well. Keep in mind that each and every glass you are served in becomes your property.. you bought it with the drink.. I see tons of glasses all over the pooldeck and elsewhere because I am certain many do not know this. The sad part is they will rewash and resell same said glass:eek: The first time I kept a glass I fely guilty because I thought I would be stealing it :eek::eek: cabin steward will bring you nice packing boxes and tissue paper upon request to pack them nice to get them home.(3)

And

exception is the glasses from the DR.. you cannot keep those. and room service you are not supposed to keep those either. I have so many now, I either give them away to our table mates or ask for the drink in a regular plastic cup (4.95) in reg cup

Next tip: If you are a rum drinker, or anything else for that matter whenit comes to a mixed drink.. DO NOT BE SHY TO ASK FOR A DOUBLE SHOT they will gladly accomodate teh rewuest and at no additional charge.. Now THAT is the way to get a buzz.. why buy 2 drinks when yu can get a double at no extra cost?? (4)

Hope these tips help someone outthere in cyberland :):D

Thx Beary for the 2 new to me great tips! Are you sure the reg. drink glasses are ours & not just the specialty glasses? Never thot of the cart as a table or knew the dbl shot was free. Have pd for so many weak drinks!

Since you asked, I shall respond to the best of my knowledge.

1. Not every ship has a grill in the Solarium, and not one of them is 24/7.

Not every ship has a Promenade Café, and those that do, do NOT serve grilled foods, just pizza slices, sandwiches and cookies/small pastries.

Room service menus, while more extensive than those of many cruiselines, are not all that full of choices. You can usually get a burger, a couple of kinds of sandwiches or wraps, a salad, cookies, and a couple of other choices.

You *can* order off the dining room menu during dining room hours, but not ALL selections will be available.

2. While I have never order a full meal for multiple people via room service, I have gotten multiple plates at one time. It has always been carried in on a large tray. Don't count on a "wheelie thing" - you will probably have to eat on the coffee table. Besides, if you take the server's "wheelie thing", what is s/he going to use for the next person's delivery?

3. ABSOLUTELY FALSE. If you have been taking anything besides the decorated or RC logo-ed "souvenir" glasses, you have, indeed, been stealing.

4. Your server *may*, at his or her discretion, give you extra booze, but they are *supposed to* charge for it. If you find a kind and tip-eager server, good for you, but don't count on it, and don't make a scene if your server charges you double for a double.

I now return you to your regularly-schedule bickering over traditional vs anytime dining. (which I, too, experienced on Princess, Paula, and did NOT like, for all the reasons stated by others. YOU may have had a good experience with it, but long waits, carrying buzzers, unsatisfactory/unfriendly service, impatient maitres d', are all common occurrences on Princess ships.)

I agree with those who H*A*T*E*D the Personal Choice Dining because it was so C*H*A*O*T*I*C and IM-personal. Princess FORCES this on to their passengers (otherwise there wouldn't be 300-400 people on the waiting list for "Traditional". And whoever said "they never waited more than 3 minutes for a table" were NOT going at the prime time (6:30 - 7:30), or they would have had at least a half-hour wait like the rest of us.

OK - off my soap box....

The one thing I would change is to make the Windjammer 24 hours. That is one thing on the Grand Princess that was nice. You could go up to the Horizon Court (their version of the Windjammer) at any hour and there was food, snacks, and desserts on the buffet.

I know the Voyager Classes have the Promenade, but that's not the same.

Anytime/Freestyle dining ... AND more dining options. That is the ONE thing that we give the edge to NCL on over RCI.

For those who have not experienced a total Freestyle ship, it is NOT chaotic ... in fact, I find it much more civilized that the cattle rush into the dining rooms on RCI. I also find that I can relax longer over a meal ... instead of being hussled thru my dinner. On this last cruise we had the worst service ever (RCI) in the dining room. Our waiter and asst waiter never spent much time with us, consistently got our orders wrong or mixed-up ... didn't feel the personal touch that should come along with a set dining time, set table.

I also feel RCI needs to enforce their dining room dress codes.

~d

Thx Carol [MM]. I didn't think these things worked but only familiar w/1 Serenade & the rest Mariner, so that's the reason for my ??? Sounded good though, esp the dbl shots! :D I learn so much on this board even after Plat. status that I was sure -nope, talking to a teacher here- surely hoping it was all true. I'm sure your detailed explanations will help more than just me.

1. Not every ship has a grill in the Solarium, and not one of them is 24/7.Never seen this except on CCL Glory.

Not every ship has a Promenade Café, and those that do, do NOT serve grilled foods, just pizza slices, sandwiches and cookies/small pastries.

Room service menus, while more extensive than those of many cruiselines, are not all that full of choices. You can usually get a burger, a couple of kinds of sandwiches or wraps, a salad, cookies, and a couple of other choices. Not seen on Mariner after JRs closes.

You *can* order off the dining room menu during dining room hours, but not ALL selections will be available.

2. While I have never order a full meal for multiple people via room service, I have gotten multiple plates at one time. It has always been carried in on a large tray. Don't count on a "wheelie thing" - you will probably have to eat on the coffee table. Besides, if you take the server's "wheelie thing", what is s/he going to use for the next person's delivery? My experiences also.

3. ABSOLUTELY FALSE. If you have been taking anything besides the decorated or RC logo-ed "souvenir" glasses, you have, indeed, been stealing.

That was my impression!

4. Your server *may*, at his or her discretion, give you extra booze, but they are *supposed to* charge for it. If you find a kind and tip-eager server, good for you, but don't count on it, and don't make a scene if your server charges you double for a double." awww :(

Del

4. Your server *may*, at his or her discretion, give you extra booze, but they are *supposed to* charge for it. If you find a kind and tip-eager server, good for you, but don't count on it, and don't make a scene if your server charges you double for a double." awww :( Del

No need for a frownie face, Del. Many servers WILL give you extra booze - I can't ever remember getting a "weak" drink on RC. And I DO often get an extra kick! Of course, the fact that I am 25, 5'8", blonde with legs up to THERE doesn't hurt. (lying, lying, lying! :D)

I would appreciate shows AFTER DINNER FOR LATE DIners

I hate going to a show before

WE need time to unwind shower and not rush when we get back from excursion

A little nap does carry me better for the night

I HATE rushing and evening seems more full and pleasant with shows after .

BEcause of this schedule missed most shows on AOS

Archived