Lifeboats - Cabins

Krazy Kruizers

I can't imagine even taking that in to consideration.

I also can't imagine caring one way or another. All Holland America lifeboats will float even if they are full of water. As long as I have Meclizine, I will be happy in any boat that floats.

You know, I am pretty anal about certain things, like cabin location, whether there are robes or not, dining times, and even table location. You know, the important stuff. But this goes WAY beyond anality!! How does one even go about finding this out? Sheesh, thinking about something like that sure could put a damper on one's vacation. That's even worse than bringing a laptop to do WORK!

You were kidding, weren't you, Krazy?

PS You never answered me about the dining room table location! You know, that important stuff!

Well, this is a new one for me! Never heard of selecting cabin placement for lifeboat purposes. Why not have lifeboats that are graded like your cabin? Now there's an idea! Some will not have windows. Others will have tiny portholes. Still others will have a "veranda" platform so you may go out to the rail as you motor off to safety. And the concierge boat would have butler service. Yeah, I think that would work. :rolleyes:

First I've ever heard of that being a consideration in picking a cabin.

Cannot imagine it.

I seriously doubt that anyone plans on being "comfortable" in the event of abandoning ship and taking to life boats.

Most of us would be thrilled, delighted, over the moon to SURVIVE and be RESCUED.

Seems to me that the "roomier" lifeboats would just carry more passengers. Count me among those who would just be glad to be in some kind of craft that floats and keeps me protected from the elements if possible.

I pray to God that none of us ever has to abandon ship.

Well, this is a new one for me! Never heard of selecting cabin placement for lifeboat purposes. Why not have lifeboats that are graded like your cabin? Now there's an idea! Some will not have windows. Others will have tiny portholes. Still others will have a "veranda" platform so you may go out to the rail as you motor off to safety. And the concierge boat would have butler service. Yeah, I think that would work. :rolleyes:

Oh puh-LEEZE!!!

DON'T give them any ideas!

I'll be brave here and say that I do prefer a 'tender' lifeboat, but it isn't the overriding consideration in cabin selection.

Why? I do get seasick very easily and they do have more maneuverability. Also, the passengers we saw waiting to board, as we disembarked our first cruise (Sept. 1980), left the ship (along with the crew that had served us so well) via lifeboats. I am very well aware they might be needed.

Let's just face it. Abandoning ship is no pic-nic either way you slice the mustard! Your not going to be comfy-cozy, your not going to have waiters bringing you cocktails or eggs over easy. It's serious business. But, these boats are equiped with not only provisions, but radios, radar, GPS, everything you need to get to the nearest land as safely as possible.

I remember "Swim Call" in the MED once and thinking to myself as I was bobbing around out there that if that ship went down, it's a long haul back to the beach! I don't think I would ever want to do it and I pray that it never comes to that for anyone. Lets hope that the Andria Doria was the last liner in history to be lost!

How would people even know if a tender is roomier than a regular lifeboat? Besides, tenders may be larger, but if you read the passenger capacity notice that's painted on the walls, that "roomy" tender holds a lot more people when used as a lifeboat than when used to ferry folks back and forth to the dock.....

Archived