Why all the jewelry stores?

Amcdon

I meant to ask this while on our recent cruise and forgot:why are there so many jewelry stores in Alaska and also on the ship? My husband needed a watch and did get one for $10! ha!

I wanted to know if anyone has bought amolite at any of the jewelry stores. I can not find any where we live and would like to buy my wife some. I just don't know about the quality and since she was with me last year I could not buy any without her finding out. I have found some jewelry store websites but I am a bit concerned about buying things I don't see. I doubt see will let me go to Alaska without her to buy some.

In many way the amount of tourists that now come to Alaska is very similar to what it was like when we first started cruising to the Caribbean. People like to shop when they are on vacation so I think it was a natural for more and more stores to open up in the various Alaska ports of call including jewelry stores.

Keith

MONEY!! BTW Most of them are owned by the cruise ship lines. Quess why you get those informative port talks, on ship. Don't forget the cruise staff member at the gangway with the coupons. On a recent cruise I had a ship employee tell me this job (selling the stores) was why her friend whose job it was would not be renewing her contarct.

We didn't have all these jewery stores in Ketchikan before the cruise ships started coming. And the homegrown, hometown stores have all almost gone out of business......

Yes, we noticed that on our last cruise to Alaska. Very, very sad!:(

Yeah, I was really disappointed in how little "local flavor" there were in the ports. It seemed like there was nothing but jewelry stores selling the same stuff. There was one interesting place in Skagway that was off the street kind of down an alley. It was called the "Rock Shop" I think. It's a guy selling all sorts of rocks and fossils and homemade stuff. Pretty interesting place.

Why would anyone want to buy tanzinite, emeralds, diamonds, etc. in Alaska. First of all, it doesn't come from Alaska, it is not duty free and you have to pay tax on it.

Just for comparison, we went into one of the diamond stores in Ketchikan to check the price on a ring we had purchased from the same company in Grand Cayman. The same design (but not same quality - of lesser quality in Alaska) with the same diamond weight cost 2 1/2 times more than in the islands, plus we would have had to pay tax.

If you need a souvenier besides your pictures and memories, be sure to check that it says "Made in Alaska" and NOT "Made in China"!!! And shop for your jewelry someplace else.

I hated seeing all those stores and made it a point to only buy in stores that clearly were local stores ( most of them has signs in the windows saying they refuse to advertise with the ships)

And we only bought items that were MADE IN ALASKA-- ie homemade items!!

If anyone would like to get a nice gft-- go to the loom store in Skagway-- hand loomed pillows 2 for $50--- made in anchorage. Lovely gift to take home with Authentic Sun and moon designs...

Why would anyone want to buy tanzinite, emeralds, diamonds, etc. in Alaska. First of all, it doesn't come from Alaska, it is not duty free and you have to pay tax on it.

Sales tax, yes. But not sure what type of "duty" you are talking about - purchasing within the US, everything is in effect "duty free" - you don't pay additional customs duty tax on anything purchased in AK. Please clarify if I am missing something. Having said that, I would not buy anything like that while on vacation anywhere unless I had done a lot of research ahead of time. Obviously I am in the minority.

I would not buy anything like that while on vacation anywhere unless I had done a lot of research ahead of time. Obviously I am in the minority.

I must be in the minority, too - but I seldom buy jewelry - even at home.

The non-local stores in Alaska didn't make much money from me. I bought one $1.99 t-shirt with a coupon in Skagway, and a $2.99 Christmas ornament in Ketchikan - also using a coupon for a free mug with purchase. I wanted an ulu knife, and I noticed the really inexpensive ones in the stores were all made in China. I opted for a simple one that cost a little more, but was made in Alaska. I bought a mug and t-shirt from Soho Coho - Ray Troll's shop in Ketchikan. I bought matted wildlife drawings done by artist Gary Lyon from his gallery in Homer. My last purchase was an Alaskan calendar produced by the Alaska Natural History Association. I bought it at the gift shop at Exit Glacier - hoping the profit helps the National Park Service operation there.

I was really disappointed with the onboard shopping guide. I expected the guy to push certain stores, but all he nearly talked about was the jewelery stores.

It was so annoying!!! They should have just labelled the session "Trying to talk you into jewelery".

I love to shop...means so much to have a little momento of the places I've visited. We ended up being magnet freaks on our trip and got like 20 magnets (not just from AK). Small, cheap, something fun to look at on the fridge. Plus...I love to shop for others. I know it's crazy, but it just feels good to give ppl stuff too!

I wanted to know if anyone has bought amolite at any of the jewelry stores. I can not find any where we live and would like to buy my wife some. I just don't know about the quality and since she was with me last year I could not buy any without her finding out. I have found some jewelry store websites but I am a bit concerned about buying things I don't see. I doubt see will let me go to Alaska without her to buy some.

Try www.gemstv.com I get them on Direct TV but they are not everywhere. I have purchased twice from them and they are great to work with.

When DH and I were in Alaska 3 years ago I bought a piece of amolite. I had never seen it before and loved it. I have seen it on the jewelry tv shows as well but have wondered if it would be as nice as the piece I bought in Alaska. I can't find much of it where I live but most of the major retail jewelry stores will get it for you if you ask and pay in advance...it will cost a lot though! We're heading back to Alaska for a land only tour in 3 weeks and I plan to buy another piece if I find a good one again!

We didn't have all these jewery stores in Ketchikan before the cruise ships started coming. And the homegrown, hometown stores have all almost gone out of business......

I would much rather buy from the hometown stores anyday...

Archived