How do you pronounce Zuiderdam?

I'm just curious what the correct pronunciation of Zuiderdam is, because of the 4 sources I have looked at, all have different answers. The Berlitz Guide to Cruising says that it is pronounced "Ziderdam"; the Econoguide Cruising Book says that "Zooderdam" is the correct pronunciation; the Frommer's Cruising Book says that it is pronounced "Z-eye-derdam";and Wikipedia says that it is pronounced "Zviderdam". I know it isn't very important, but I thought that somebody who has traveled on the ship could give me a definite answer.

Thanks for the link. My wife and I just had a discussion about the correct pronunciation of Zuiderdam the other night.............I was right..........

I told her that Zooderdam didn't sound right..............

• 2 years later...

Confusion still reigns supreme for me! lol

The one poster (Vic) says Long "I" sound .... as in cider.

Okay... so that would make it ZIE-der-dam.

But the link to the pronunciation guide says:

Zuiderdam "Zey-der-dam" which to me would be ZAY der dam as in oh Zey can you Zee (which is how I have been trying to remember it).

;)

Confusion still reigns supreme for me! lol

The one poster (Vic) says Long "I" sound .... as in cider.

Okay... so that would make it ZIE-der-dam.

But the link to the pronunciation guide says:

Zuiderdam "Zey-der-dam" which to me would be ZAY der dam as in oh Zey can you Zee (which is how I have been trying to remember it).

;)

That's because there is no real English equivalent of the way the Dutch pronounce "zuid" for south. If you pronounce it Ciderdam or if you pronounce it Zeyderdam (as in "eye"), you'll come the closest

That's just cuz you're Dutch. :D The rest of us say New, lol!!!

I'm not Dutch and I'd pronounce it like Copper. ;)

Used to be Dutch but still speak it fluently!;) I'll be the first to tell you that it's not an easy language to learn and/or pronounce!

It easier for a few of us. :)

I remember discussions around the dinner table at friends' house on the right way to pronounce 'kip en sous' and 'thee'. :D

Used to be Dutch but still speak it fluently!;) I'll be the first to tell you that it's not an easy language to learn and/or pronounce!

No kidding!!! :D

I remember the old Nieuw Amsterdam... and I keep think it's going to be weird distinguishing between - "old & new" Nieuw Amsterdam... the Noordam wasn't quite so hard, lol. Ah, oh well, it could be worse. :)

I'm not Dutch and I'd pronounce it like Copper. ;)

It easier for a few of us. :)

I remember discussions around the dinner table at friends' house on the right way to pronounce 'kip en sous' and 'thee'. :D

Always very interesting for a Dutchman to hear someone speak 'Afrikaans' and hear all the Dutch words (or variations of Dutch words) in that language;)

I agree with DizzyDallasDi.

When I was on her the Captain said Ziderdam (long i). But I just double checked with "Dutch By Association" who has an extensive Blog and is a HAL employee. He says the same pronunciation. Vic The Parrot "cider" but with the Z at the front of course.

Now if I could just learn Zaanse Schans. Every time I'm in Amsterdam and say it, I always get strange looks. No matter how hard I try, I just can't master it, even though others have tried to pronounce it for me, I say it and it still comes out wrong.

But isn't that part of the fun of travel to foreign locations .

Happy travels to all!

I agree with DizzyDallasDi.

When I was on her the Captain said Ziderdam (long i). But I just double checked with "Dutch By Association" who has an extensive Blog and is a HAL employee. He says the same pronunciation. Vic The Parrot "cider" but with the Z at the front of course.

Now if I could just learn Zaanse Schans. Every time I'm in Amsterdam and say it, I always get strange looks. No matter how hard I try, I just can't master it, even though others have tried to pronounce it for me, I say it and it still comes out wrong.

But isn't that part of the fun of travel to foreign locations .

Happy travels to all!

Zaaahnze Sgggggans - if you find yourself spitting to much with the 'ggg' try saying Skans, they'll understand!:)

Okay, so I asked my Dutch mother-in-law. She confirmed that it is Zi-der-dam (long i). Of course, the way she says it is a little different. The Dutch have several sounds they make that are difficult for us Americans to imitate. However, even when she said it, the i is long.

Okay, so I asked my Dutch mother-in-law. She confirmed that it is Zi-der-dam (long i). Of course, the way she says it is a little different. The Dutch have several sounds they make that are difficult for us Americans to imitate. However, even when she said it, the i is long.

Like I said before, there is no English equivalent in the way the Dutch pronounce "zuid". The closest you're going to get with Zuiderdam is "Z-eye-derdam" or "Z-iderdam"

My mother-in-law is Dutch and I'm going to ask her when I see her tomorrow how it is pronounced. I'm going to guess Zay-der-dam. We'll see.

I would think it would be gutteral. You know, achhzzzzzzddeeerrrrrddddaaaaahhhhhhhhhmmmmmm..........:)

Archived