Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Beckie, this makes me crazy.......the black dogs show their gray hair so much easier than the yellow dogs. Horton's chin is starting to get gray and do you know that the groomer asked if I wanted to color it......Do you believe that some people dye their dogs gray hair......It's enough I'm having him man-scaped!

Also, their faces start to get bonier and their eyes start tearing more........I have to stop or I'll start to cry!!!!

Horton's 7 years old and hasn't started to do refusals on getting into my SUV yet! Brenda started to refuse to jump in at around 9......I still have her ramp and will use it for Horty, if he needs it.

So far, the only time Gibson refused to get in the car is when Diana was hollering NO! at him from her closed bedroom window. Her sister and I were going to just run to the corner to get McDonald's for dinner. So Gibson was just going to ride along for the escape in the car. He loves that!

He totally went heavy bean bag on me as I tried to get him in the car. Usually he only wants to climb in from the passenger side, so okay we will go around. Not working! I lifted on his rump end to "help" out. Still not working. Finally, he climbed in and we went to McDonald's and back.

Only when we got back in the house did we hear from Diana that she was hollering at him not to get in. He could hear her, even if we couldn't. If Mama says no, then he isn't budging! She finally decided that we weren't going to give up trying to get him in the car. So then she started hollering at him Car Gibson! Car! Car! That is what made him get in after all our efforts. We couldn't stop laughing as she told us what she was doing. Neither of us could hear her through the closed window.

We wanted him to have a nice getaway, even if just for 20 minutes. He can be really obedient when he chooses to. :rolleyes:

He is!

His biggest problem is he wants to be everyone's friend. With 10,000 people on campus, he gets a lot of friends!

That sniffer of his is going to probably get him in some trouble - just like Roz's Horton. He just can't help himself. We shall see how things go as he matures.

My step-mom laughed at me a couple of weeks ago. She said I was being a strict disciplinarian with Scooter, just like I was with the kids at 2 - 4. She recalled a time when my DD was doing something and I stopped her with a look. Apparently, I behave similarly with the dog. I guess it is the teacher in me.

Oh! No! I thought I was the only one who disciplined her children with a just a "dirty look!" I do it with Horton and he turns his head from side to side [it's so cute], he's a head-cocker!!!! Brenda NEVER did this so it's quite a treat to have a dog that does. It's so darn adorable!!!!

So far, the only time Gibson refused to get in the car is when Diana was hollering NO! at him from her closed bedroom window. Her sister and I were going to just run to the corner to get McDonald's for dinner. So Gibson was just going to ride along for the escape in the car. He loves that!

He totally went heavy bean bag on me as I tried to get him in the car. Usually he only wants to climb in from the passenger side, so okay we will go around. Not working! I lifted on his rump end to "help" out. Still not working. Finally, he climbed in and we went to McDonald's and back.

Only when we got back in the house did we hear from Diana that she was hollering at him not to get in. He could hear her, even if we couldn't. If Mama says no, then he isn't budging! She finally decided that we weren't going to give up trying to get him in the car. So then she started hollering at him Car Gibson! Car! Car! That is what made him get in after all our efforts. We couldn't stop laughing as she told us what she was doing. Neither of us could hear her through the closed window.

We wanted him to have a nice getaway, even if just for 20 minutes. He can be really obedient when he chooses to. :rolleyes:

I love this story!

Hey Folks - wanted to pass along a pretty good deal that ends today - Celebrity Equinox cancelled their 2017 European schedule and is staying in the Caribbean next year. They are offering All their perks for any Oceanview + booking:

Premium Beverage Package

Prepaid Gratuities

Up to $500 OBC (I got $300 for a balcony)

Unlimited Internet

also my TA matched the OBC so I got $300 more...

Ends today Saturday though

I am booked on the October 6, 2017 sailing if Horton, Raylene, Orson, Henri, Jaager, Gibson, et al want to join in!

Edited by alexspepa

Thank you so much for posting. I have had my Service Dog since 2009 and have not travelled internationally. I am looking at my first RCI cruise in January. I am so glad to read about so many Service Dog handlers who take their dogs on cruises.

I live by myself and have no family or friends that can travel with me. My mobility is such that I simply have no choice but to take the dog wherever I go. I simply can't make the decision to leave the dog at home.--and I try not to make the decision to sit at home myself since that's what a Service Dog is all about-- Getting the Service Dog Handler a measure of independence.

Thank you so much for posting. I have had my Service Dog since 2009 and have not travelled internationally. I am looking at my first RCI cruise in January. I am so glad to read about so many Service Dog handlers who take their dogs on cruises.

I live by myself and have no family or friends that can travel with me. My mobility is such that I simply have no choice but to take the dog wherever I go. I simply can't make the decision to leave the dog at home.--and I try not to make the decision to sit at home myself since that's what a Service Dog is all about-- Getting the Service Dog Handler a measure of independence.

Welcome to the best thread on CC...you will find a ton of great advice here from the resident experts, and then there are us lurkers who just enjoy the fantastic folks and Service Dogs that post here.

Hey Folks - wanted to pass along a pretty good deal that ends today - Celebrity Equinox cancelled their 2017 European schedule and is staying in the Caribbean next year. They are offering All their perks for any Oceanview + booking:

Premium Beverage Package

Prepaid Gratuities

Unlimited Internet

I am booked on the October 6, 2017 sailing if Horton, Raylene, Orson, Henri, Jaager, Gibson, et al want to join in!

Wow that is a great deal! Our Panama Canal cruise leaves October 7th or I would seriously consider it. What great fun it would be if we could have a service dog cruise!

Dianne

Welcome to this thread - you will learn so much about cruising with your dog.

Dianne

Great story - Gibson is such a good boy.

Dianne

that is a great story...Gibson - "I don't care what you want - Diana says no!...oh wait now she says Yes so what are you waiting on?"

Welcome to this thread - you will learn so much about cruising with your dog.

Dianne

Thanks! I do have a question. I talked to a travel agent that is suppose to be talking to RC about me taking my Service Dog to Coz. Mexico. The travel agent asked if I had "documentation" for my Service Dog.-- I chalked this up to being uneducated. I realize that Mexico doesn't recognize ADA or Air Carrier act.--but I don't see anything that requires documentation other than health certificate and vacs.--Can anyone advise? --Thanks

Thanks! I do have a question. I talked to a travel agent that is suppose to be talking to RC about me taking my Service Dog to Coz. Mexico. The travel agent asked if I had "documentation" for my Service Dog.-- I chalked this up to being uneducated. I realize that Mexico doesn't recognize ADA or Air Carrier act.--but I don't see anything that requires documentation other than health certificate and vacs.--Can anyone advise? --Thanks

In fairness, the travel agent may not be uneducated, but simply may have been referring to that cruise line's page online that says "Evidence that a dog is a service dog is helpful but not required" such as an ID card or other "documentation." I always carry the dog's ID anyway, so have no problem providing a copy of it to the cruise line.

While the travel agent can handle the booking and notify the cruise line about the dog coming, control of the dog's arrangements shouldn't be left with an agent IMHO. I contact the cruise lines myself directly early on to be sure they have a relief box ordered and info in their records on any other needs I have, for example dining table location.

Royal Caribbean will provide you with a form to sign and probably tell you to bring to the pier with the other paperwork. (Some companies ask for information to be sent back to them PRIOR to sailing.) A USDA-certified vet can provide the correct signed health certificate after examining your dog. You'll bring that along with an original rabies certificate.

Just my opinion, but it can't hurt to bring copies of other information with you, like the dog's spay/neuter certificate, parasite control (dates you most recently did flea & tick treatment and heartworm meds), evidence of microchip, other shots, etc. Doesn't take much room to pack, and if some foreign port official ever asks, you're covered.

Enjoy your cruise!

Premium Beverage Package

Prepaid Gratuities

Unlimited Internet

I loved our Celebrity cruises. Thanks for the heads up. I'm booked through 2018. I booked everything leaving out of L.A. to interesting destinations other than Mexico.

You will love cruising with your dog. The cruise ships are getting smarter and smarter when it comes to the SD.

It's my favorite form of vacation for now.

The one piece of advice I give to everyone is: GIVE YOURSELF LOTS OF TIME; Before you board, definitely while onboard, when going into port and when you're ready to disembark.

Come here often to ask all the questions you want.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks! I sent an email to RC disability services this morning.

Chris, perfect. txcruser, make 3 copies of everything [having too much information about your dog is NOT possible], you will be asked for the paperwork when you register [before boarding], make sure they have their own copy. It will save you time as they go looking for a copy machine. Keep the original with you and give the other copy to the Purser's Desk, onboard the ship.

Make sure that your dog is ALWAYS acting appropriately and do allow your fellow passengers a time when they may pat him/her. They're so curious about everything about your dog and they're missing their own furbabies at home.

Also, while at the Purser's Desk ask them where they've placed the potty box and ask to be taken to it. You may leave your potty bags for solid pick up or, they usually will provide some sort of plastic bags for you. If you need more filler or want it rearranged this is the time to speak up.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hey, Keith, thanks for that info on the Celebrity cruise. I'm going to keep an eye on that one! Now that we can drive to the port, it's not as complicated to wait and book a month or so out. It would be so much fun to meet you in person.

Kind of depends on the dates of next year's long RV trip - hoping to go out west and up to the Canadian Rockies. Might start in the early fall.

We'll be the sister ship, Eclipse, again in December. We both like Celebrity.

Beckie, this makes me crazy.......the black dogs show their gray hair so much easier than the yellow dogs. Horton's chin is starting to get gray and do you know that the groomer asked if I wanted to color it......Do you believe that some people dye their dogs gray hair......It's enough I'm having him man-scaped!

Also, their faces start to get bonier and their eyes start tearing more........I have to stop or I'll start to cry!!!!

Horton's 7 years old and hasn't started to do refusals on getting into my SUV yet! Brenda started to refuse to jump in at around 9......I still have her ramp and will use it for Horty, if he needs it.

Ahem. John looked into the coloring when Wex started to gray.

Ahem. John looked into the coloring when Wex started to gray.

Hey, we were going into the groomer when a woman was walking out with a purple poodle....I mean this bad boy was a bright purple.....and, I must admit, he was so cute!!!!! I wouldn't hesitate to have a purple poodle in my life! As long as it doesn't hurt the dog....how cute would that be!!!! And, he had two lavender feathers on each side of his head!!!!:p

Brenny and Wexler's father Baumann were brother and sister.

Wait, Brenda's father was Bobby. Her brother was Baumann [litter mates,] who died the same year and month that Brenda did at the age of 14.

Now, I'm really confused......we need a genealogist to figure this one out.

Hey, Keith, thanks for that info on the Celebrity cruise. I'm going to keep an eye on that one! Now that we can drive to the port, it's not as complicated to wait and book a month or so out. It would be so much fun to meet you in person.

Kind of depends on the dates of next year's long RV trip - hoping to go out west and up to the Canadian Rockies. Might start in the early fall.

We'll be the sister ship, Eclipse, again in December. We both like Celebrity.

Chris that would be great...we would love to meet the three of you.

I've been thinking about renting an RV and taking Dot and Lucy on a road trip...just to see if we like it. I'm pretty sure we would; we had a sailboat we kept for awhile (pre-Lucy) that we enjoyed. It was large enough to stay weekends on or even longer. We visited Southport, NC last week where we used to keep Bushwacker and I got the boat bug again!

Edited by alexspepa

Chris that would be great...we would love to meet the three of you.

I've been thinking about renting an RV and taking Dot and Lucy on a road trip...just to see if we like it. I'm pretty sure we would; we had a sailboat we kept for awhile (pre-Lucy) that we enjoyed. It was large enough to stay weekends on or even longer. We visited Southport, NC last week where we used to keep Bushwacker and I got the boat bug again!

"Let's take a road trip"........these words were uttered by my husband before campers/trailers/buses etc., were even popular. We packed our two little girls into a "cab/over " it's a motorhome sitting on the back of a pickup and off we went for 6 months across the U.S. It had a monomatic toilet [just like the airlines], stove, sink and bed above the cab [for the girls] and a table that converted to a bed [for us.]

We had a run-in with the KKK in Mississippi; got to go inside Elvis's house in Tennessee; had to out drive a hurricane in New Jersey; and a tornado in Oklahoma. Saw Mardi Gras in New Orleans and got hit by a garment rack in the fashion district of New York. We saw most of this wonderful country and had some truly amazing adventures.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your "boat bug!" GO FOR IT!!! Live your dream!