Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Bobby was an English lab? Henri's father is an English lab also - Orent II. He must be quite the guy as well, I see his puppies all over the place in the graduation programs.

Dianne

I have a definite soft spot in my heart for the English Lab. Horton is a true American Lab/Golden cross [tall, long legs and huge head.]. It's neat that I got to experience two entirely different looking Labs. Except, they were both black.

I always pictured myself with a Yellow or Golden Lab. You never know what CCI thinks is the right dog for you!

You have to keep an open mind and heart.

Orson has been cleared to go to Alaska!! He even gained a pound since his last visit to the vet. The vet is giving us some meds to take for him just in case. Now I need everything else to fall into place.

fantastic news...go Orson! I think you should get him a drink package!...(just kidding)

Great story Walt, even though I couldn't see the pictures.

Sorry. Here's the illustrated article:

http://www.dogheirs.com/larne/posts/1677-heroic-mother-dog-saves-her-puppies-from-blazing-house-fire

Orson has been cleared to go to Alaska!! He even gained a pound since his last visit to the vet. The vet is giving us some meds to take for him just in case. Now I need everything else to fall into place.

Awesome - have a great time Orson!!

Dianne & Henri

Great news!!

Bobby was an English lab? Henri's father is an English lab also - Orent II. He must be quite the guy as well, I see his puppies all over the place in the graduation programs.

Dianne

Wexler's father was really popular too! There is lots of his puppies out there

I have a definite soft spot in my heart for the English Lab. Horton is a true American Lab/Golden cross [tall, long legs and huge head.]. It's neat that I got to experience two entirely different looking Labs. Except, they were both black.

I always pictured myself with a Yellow or Golden Lab. You never know what CCI thinks is the right dog for you!

You have to keep an open mind and heart.

Wexler is the labx too. Long and leggy, which makes it hard to keep him under something. Legs always sticking out.

I know all about those boat bugs. We had three (two power and one sail) down through the years but we're sticking with the real big "boats" these days.

If you decide to rent an RV, let me know and I'll email you a couple of travel articles I wrote for MotorHome Magazine about North Carolina RV destinations. One was for the Outer Banks, and the other the Yadkin Valley wine country (LOVED both places.) And of course the NC mountains are great for RV trips. RVing & dogs go together very well!

Got a confirmed assignment from my editor so started today on sorting photos and making notes for the article about RVing the Gaspe Peninsula.

Thanks Chris - all of us would love to read your articles...can you post a link?

Thanks Chris - all of us would love to read your articles...can you post a link?

Aw shucks, thanks for being interested. Might give you some ideas of fun places if/when you get an RV. I'm a big fan of boating, but it's really hard to sail to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!:D

I searched the MotorHome website by destination name and found the Carolinas articles that might interest you if you rent an RV.

Outer Banks was the first one I wrote for them after we bought an RV:

http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/north-carolinas-outer-banks-by-rv/

Beaufort, NC and Beaufort SC:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/a-tale-of-two-beauforts/

And Yadkin Valley:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/carolina-cabernet/

The site shows some of my oldies only from 2014 when I enter my name in the search box (not older or newer articles, go figure):

http://www.motorhome.com/index.php?s=christine+goodier&x=0&y=0

Roz, I loved that your Morey used to read MotorHome. Keith, besides the travel articles, it's a useful magazine if you do get into RVing with handy info about the technical side.

Just to bring this all back to DOGS - that last link includes an article I wrote about another deaf RVer who had a Hearing Dog. After meeting the head of Dogs for the Deaf at a big RV event, I wanted to do something to help promote such a great group, and pitched the idea to my editor. And all that led to my applying for a dog myself.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Aw shucks, thanks for being interested. Might give you some ideas of fun places if/when you get an RV. I'm a big fan of boating, but it's really hard to sail to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta!:D

I searched the MotorHome website by destination name and found the Carolinas articles that might interest you if you rent an RV.

Outer Banks was the first one I wrote for them after we bought an RV:

http://www.motorhome.com/top-stories/north-carolinas-outer-banks-by-rv/

Beaufort, NC and Beaufort SC:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/a-tale-of-two-beauforts/

And Yadkin Valley:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhome-travel/carolina-cabernet/

The site shows some of my oldies only from 2014 when I enter my name in the search box (not older or newer articles, go figure):

http://www.motorhome.com/index.php?s=christine+goodier&x=0&y=0

Roz, I loved that your Morey used to read MotorHome. Keith, besides the travel articles, it's a useful magazine if you do get into RVing with handy info about the technical side.

Just to bring this all back to DOGS - that last link includes an article I wrote about another deaf RVer who had a Hearing Dog. After meeting the head of Dogs for the Deaf at a big RV event, I wanted to do something to help promote such a great group, and pitched the idea to my editor. And all that led to my applying for a dog myself.

Thanks for sharing a piece of your story. What ever led any one of us to getting our dogs certainly was a lead in the right direction, wasn't it?

Morey wanted us to sell or give away everything we owned except for what would fit into a 40ft. bus. He bought a bus that was made by the same people who made the "Lisa Marie", Elvis' bus and we took a trip to Vicksburg in it. Morey was a Civil War buff and he wanted to see all the states that were involved. When we got to Tennessee he parked right next to the "Lisa Marie" and took tons of pictures.

We never got to retire in the bus but we had lots of fun.

Wexler's father was really popular too! There is lots of his puppies out there

Wexler is the labx too. Long and leggy, which makes it hard to keep him under something. Legs always sticking out.

I'm sure we could all tell stories of trying to fit our tall, leggy dogs under the table in a restaurant. Now I try to find a wall or emergency exit to sit next to so that Horton can just lay against it, rather than trying to fit anywhere!!!

Some of the Lab/Golden crosses are bizarre looking; with huge heads like a Mastiff or huge bodies and short legs.......genetic engineering can be so interesting!!!

I'm sure we could all tell stories of trying to fit our tall, leggy dogs under the table in a restaurant. Now I try to find a wall or emergency exit to sit next to so that Horton can just lay against it, rather than trying to fit anywhere!!!

Henri likes to stretch out - at 70lbs she is not tiny! If the table is small its hard to keep her legs and tail out of the way sometimes. I asked CCI about that (if there was a way to get them to curl into a smaller ball) and they said not really - they just like to take up the space they are given.

Dianne

Henri likes to stretch out - at 70lbs she is not tiny! If the table is small its hard to keep her legs and tail out of the way sometimes. I asked CCI about that (if there was a way to get them to curl into a smaller ball) and they said not really - they just like to take up the space they are given.

Dianne

My Brenda used to become a "pill bug".....she would curl herself into such a tight ball [of course she was no where near as tall as Horton is!] She was so much easier to fit into the bulkhead seating of an airplane. There's no way that I can fit Horton under my feet.

Thanks for posting your articles Chris - the pictures are beautiful too.

Dianne

Huge puppy Momma sigh of relief!

Scooter had a big vet visit today with an overnight stay and they called just a little while ago and let me know he was awake and doing well.

I know the neuter is a good thing, but it still breaks my heart to intentionally cause pain.

My vet also highly recommended a procedure called a gastropexy, where he puts a couple of stitches in the wall of the stomach to afix it to the actual wall of the body. If the dog is prone to gulping food/water, it can prevent torsion in the event of bloat. The bloat can still be dangerous, but not as dangerous as with the torsion. My vet lost a lab to it, and highly recommended the procedure for a larger chested/smaller waist dog. He was, in fact, doing the same to his own lab.

Scooter comes home tomorrow when I get off work. That way, they can watch him for a good 24 hours post-surgery. Poor puppy. :(

He has to stay mostly crated for the next week with nothing but short leash walks.

Huge puppy Momma sigh of relief!

Scooter had a big vet visit today with an overnight stay and they called just a little while ago and let me know he was awake and doing well.

I know the neuter is a good thing, but it still breaks my heart to intentionally cause pain.

My vet also highly recommended a procedure called a gastropexy, where he puts a couple of stitches in the wall of the stomach to afix it to the actual wall of the body. If the dog is prone to gulping food/water, it can prevent torsion in the event of bloat. The bloat can still be dangerous, but not as dangerous as with the torsion. My vet lost a lab to it, and highly recommended the procedure for a larger chested/smaller waist dog. He was, in fact, doing the same to his own lab.

Scooter comes home tomorrow when I get off work. That way, they can watch him for a good 24 hours post-surgery. Poor puppy. :(

He has to stay mostly crated for the next week with nothing but short leash walks.

Barb, it sounds like everything is under control. I know how hard it is to wait until you can have him right next to you.

The gastropexy sounds interesting because my Horton has a huge barrel chest with a small waist. I will discuss this with my Vet at Horton's visit in November.

I'm sending my best healing wishes to your baby.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Barb, it sounds like everything is under control. I know how hard it is to wait until you can have him right next to you.

The gastropexy sounds interesting because my Horton has a huge barrel chest with a small waist. I will discuss this with my Vet at Horton's visit in November.

I'm sending my best healing wishes to your baby.

Thanks, Roz.

I did a lot of research on the gastropexy before agreeing to it. In your area, the preventative laproscopic gastropexy can be quite pricey! I saw Vet websites in CA and NY quoting prices of $1400 to $1600. Of course, I have no idea what those same Vets charge for other things. I've been told that Vet care in my area is amazingly reasonable. My bill for the sedation, neuter and gastropexy together will be under $300. Emergency surgery for an animal in distress with torsion & bloat can easily run $3000 - $5000 and still has a 10% survival rate. Hence, we decided to have the elective procedure.

As I was describing it to my neighbor girl, her next question was, "Can they do it to a horse?"

Thanks, Roz.

I did a lot of research on the gastropexy before agreeing to it. In your area, the preventative laproscopic gastropexy can be quite pricey! I saw Vet websites in CA and NY quoting prices of $1400 to $1600. Of course, I have no idea what those same Vets charge for other things. I've been told that Vet care in my area is amazingly reasonable. My bill for the sedation, neuter and gastropexy together will be under $300. Emergency surgery for an animal in distress with torsion & bloat can easily run $3000 - $5000 and still has a 10% survival rate. Hence, we decided to have the elective procedure.

As I was describing it to my neighbor girl, her next question was, "Can they do it to a horse?"

Barb, because Horton is such a goof-ball, risk-taker and because Vet care in L.A. is so darn expensive I purchased PetPlan Insurance the month after I brought him home. He's now 7 years old and it costs me $73.50 per month. Because we travel so much and he's exposed to a lot of different environments it's better to be safe than sorry! I truly hope I NEVER have to use it!

Our weather is a few degrees cooler [although, that's because our humidity went up] and, we all know how Auntie Roz hates humidity. And, so does her hair!!! :eek:

Our fires are 60% contained and it's the weekend.....life is good!

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope that none of you got caught up in the horrible weather that is occurring in the east. And, if you did, I hope that you survived it all!!!

Question: Have any of you had any encounters with folks of the Muslim religion. I belong to a blog from CCI and some of the folks who have Service Dogs are having negative experiences with reactions from these people in a restaurant and in an ice cream parlor. They tried to grab the leash of his dog and pull them outside, all the while screaming, "get that dirty thing out of here!" Horrible!

Staying calm and keeping a cool head can be very frustrating at times!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks, Roz.

I hope Scooter is healing and feeling better today. Before we were married, my husband's dog had the stomach torsion - it was horrible. I may look into this new surgery too.

Dianne

Question: Have any of you had any encounters with folks of the Muslim religion. I belong to a blog from CCI and some of the folks who have Service Dogs are having negative experiences with reactions from these people in a restaurant and in an ice cream parlor. They tried to grab the leash of his dog and pull them outside, all the while screaming, "get that dirty thing out of here!" Horrible!

I actually live half a block from the Mosque in my community.

I don't believe it is Islam, but rather it is a tribal thing.

There are a lot of people who have a hard time tribal traditions from faith, and I believe this is one of them, since I know a number of Muslim people who own dogs that live in the home. Granted - most of those people are from Turkey. I believe the issue may be the Arab culture rather than Islam, since they are not exactly the same. They just get mixed up a lot.

The non-Arab Muslims I know don't seem to have an issue with dogs or with how I dress.