Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

"Let's take a road trip"........these words were uttered by my husband before campers/trailers/buses etc., were even popular. We packed our two little girls into a "cab/over " it's a motorhome sitting on the back of a pickup and off we went for 6 months across the U.S. It had a monomatic toilet [just like the airlines], stove, sink and bed above the cab [for the girls] and a table that converted to a bed [for us.]

We had a run-in with the KKK in Mississippi; got to go inside Elvis's house in Tennessee; had to out drive a hurricane in New Jersey; and a tornado in Oklahoma. Saw Mardi Gras in New Orleans and got hit by a garment rack in the fashion district of New York. We saw most of this wonderful country and had some truly amazing adventures.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your "boat bug!" GO FOR IT!!! Live your dream!

Roz, I LOVE this story! There's nothing like seeing the US on a road trip. I'd be willing to bet that your girls have never forgotten that experience.

Ahem. John looked into the coloring when Wex started to gray.

This thread is just filled with hilarious posts!

"Just for Dogs"?

"Grecian formula for canines"?

First dog-scaping, then fur dye. However, I think the feathers Roz mentioned that Brenda and the purple poodle sported must be an L.A. thing.

Chris that would be great...we would love to meet the three of you.

I've been thinking about renting an RV and taking Dot and Lucy on a road trip...just to see if we like it. I'm pretty sure we would; we had a sailboat we kept for awhile (pre-Lucy) that we enjoyed. It was large enough to stay weekends on or even longer. We visited Southport, NC last week where we used to keep Bushwacker and I got the boat bug again!

I know all about those boat bugs. We had three (two power and one sail) down through the years but we're sticking with the real big "boats" these days.

If you decide to rent an RV, let me know and I'll email you a couple of travel articles I wrote for MotorHome Magazine about North Carolina RV destinations. One was for the Outer Banks, and the other the Yadkin Valley wine country (LOVED both places.) And of course the NC mountains are great for RV trips. RVing & dogs go together very well!

Got a confirmed assignment from my editor so started today on sorting photos and making notes for the article about RVing the Gaspe Peninsula.

Roz, I LOVE this story! There's nothing like seeing the US on a road trip. I'd be willing to bet that your girls have never forgotten that experience.

My youngest was in diapers, she did a lot of sleeping on the top bunk. And, the oldest was not in school yet [hence, the long road trip before we had to settle down!] The oldest remembers visiting relatives in Pennsylvania and Chicago and swimming in Lake Ontario but not much else. I remember it all and when I have a tearful moment I just remember all the wonderful stuff that we did together and it makes me smile.

This thread is just filled with hilarious posts!

"Just for Dogs"?

"Grecian formula for canines"?

First dog-scaping, then fur dye. However, I think the feathers Roz mentioned that Brenda and the purple poodle sported must be an L.A. thing.

So Hollywood!!!!!

I know all about those boat bugs. We had three (two power and one sail) down through the years but we're sticking with the real big "boats" these days.

If you decide to rent an RV, let me know and I'll email you a couple of travel articles I wrote for MotorHome Magazine about North Carolina RV destinations. One was for the Outer Banks, and the other the Yadkin Valley wine country (LOVED both places.) And of course the NC mountains are great for RV trips. RVing & dogs go together very well!

Got a confirmed assignment from my editor so started today on sorting photos and making notes for the article about RVing the Gaspe Peninsula.

My Morey couldn't go anywhere without his MotorHome Magazine. He would go to every MotorHome Show he could and, he loved dragging all of us with him.

How long have you been writing for them?

Wait, Brenda's father was Bobby. Her brother was Baumann [litter mates,] who died the same year and month that Brenda did at the age of 14.

Now, I'm really confused......we need a genealogist to figure this one out.

Brenda's father was Bobby - isn't he the super stud that they have the patio named after (Bobby's Place) at the Santa Rosa campus?

Dianne

My Morey couldn't go anywhere without his MotorHome Magazine. He would go to every MotorHome Show he could and, he loved dragging all of us with him.

How long have you been writing for them?

Just for five years since we got our first RV and started making long trips. Bob takes many of the photos, so it's a fun thing we can do together.

That first one was a van camper and we had great adventures. But it was just too tight after Raylene joined my life. Our new (used) small RV is perfect for the three of us.

Brenda's father was Bobby - isn't he the super stud that they have the patio named after (Bobby's Place) at the Santa Rosa campus?

Dianne

That's him! We had the honor of having dinner with Bobby and MJ his "Mommy, Caretaker" who just adored him. Brenda looked exactly like him and I was so proud of that!

Posting a picture of Henri at the Oakland A's baseball game last weekend with her friends Gloria and Feather - both CCI puppies in training.

Dianne

IMG_0161_zpskca6ilru.jpg

I love how the one pup is arching his neck.......trying to be so bold!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Just got this in an email. Dog lovers will enjoy.

FIRE RESCUE

NICE STORY !

MsgAttachment?msgid=134351&attachno=1

During an early morning response to a house fire, firefighters were amazed...

A Mother dog risked her life to save her puppies from the fire surrounding the burning house...

The Mother dog, Amanda, raced back and forth between the house, putting her 10 day old puppies in the safest place she could find - a Fire Truck! ...

MsgAttachment?msgid=134351&attachno=2

As a onlooker photographed it with his cell phone after she already had a few in one of the truck's equipment compartments.

She didn't stop racing back into the smoke and fire until all of her puppies were safely away from the fire.

MsgAttachment?msgid=134351&attachno=3

The firemen on scene could not believe their eyes. Most people have never seen a dog this smart or this brave!

Bringing each one out, six trips into the fire and no one could stop her.

MsgAttachment?msgid=134351&attachno=4

All the fireman could do was to try to keep a little water spray on her to keep from singing as she kept making trips running through the open door.

You can see some of the singed hair on her back end, forehead and lower legs.

After rescuing all of her pups from the blaze, Amanda sat down next to them to nurse, protecting them with her body.

Onlookers called an emergency veterinary service and she and her pups were rushed to the hospital.

Aside from one puppy being treated for serious burns, the entire family are alive and well! Thanks to the bravery of Amanda! What a heroic mother! How Great!!!

MsgAttachment?msgid=134351&attachno=5

Orson goes to the vet today to (hopefully) get cleared to go to Alaska with us. So far, other than the lump on his face, which hasn't gotten any bigger, you would never know he was sick. So I don't think there will be a problem. We did our phone interview with CCI last week and it looks like we may be in the February class.

Wait, Brenda's father was Bobby. Her brother was Baumann [litter mates,] who died the same year and month that Brenda did at the age of 14.

Oops I meant brother

You confused me too!

FIRE RESCUE

NICE STORY !

A Mother dog risked her life to save her puppies from the fire surrounding the burning house...

The Mother dog, Amanda, raced back and forth between the house, putting her 10 day old puppies in the safest place she could find - a Fire Truck! ...

As a onlooker photographed it with his cell phone after she already had a few in one of the truck's equipment compartments.

She didn't stop racing back into the smoke and fire until all of her puppies were safely away from the fire.

The firemen on scene could not believe their eyes. Most people have never seen a dog this smart or this brave!

All the fireman could do was to try to keep a little water spray on her to keep from singing as she kept making trips running through the open door.

After rescuing all of her pups from the blaze, Amanda sat down next to them to nurse, protecting them with her body.

Onlookers called an emergency veterinary service and she and her pups were rushed to the hospital.

Aside from one puppy being treated for serious burns, the entire family are alive and well! Thanks to the bravery of Amanda! What a heroic mother! How Great!!!

Great story Walt, even though I couldn't see the pictures.

Orson goes to the vet today to (hopefully) get cleared to go to Alaska with us. So far, other than the lump on his face, which hasn't gotten any bigger, you would never know he was sick. So I don't think there will be a problem. We did our phone interview with CCI last week and it looks like we may be in the February class.

Good luck Den! I'm sure you guys will have a great cruise!

FIRE RESCUE

NICE STORY !

We can all learn a lot from Amanda; gentle, loving and brave ♥

DKD, thanks so much for the Orson update. You will love this cruise with your boy. He's been "there" for all of you [including those little pesty-pups]. You will need to take lots and lots of pictures on this cruise.....it will help you when you need to see him smiling!

Hang tough Orson. We all hope that you will enjoy your cruise with your family because very soon you will have a brother or sister to come and keep you company while you enjoy your retirement like the true gentleman that you are!!!!

We all love you so much!

That's him! We had the honor of having dinner with Bobby and MJ his "Mommy, Caretaker" who just adored him. Brenda looked exactly like him and I was so proud of that!

Bobby was an English lab? Henri's father is an English lab also - Orent II. He must be quite the guy as well, I see his puppies all over the place in the graduation programs.

Dianne