Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Going to try to get the Amber Cove Dominican permit. They have their own permit to fill out. They require USDA signatures but will accept digital one. It seems our vet does this? Anyone know about it? 

I wonder if it is the VEHCS (Vet Export Health Certificate System).  I ran across this when I was researching my upcoming trip.  Some countries are 'online' with this program, and others aren't.  I sounds like it would simplify things CONSIDERABLY!!  Good luck!

We used the VEHCS system for Colombia.  Turnaround time is about 48 hours.  Once it is endorsed by the USDA office an email is sent back to the vet to login and print the permit.  Make sure that when they fill out the application for the permit (this is done electronically too), that they indicate it’s a SD, so there is no charge.  

1 hour ago, Mavis and Me said:

I wonder if it is the VEHCS (Vet Export Health Certificate System).  I ran across this when I was researching my upcoming trip.  Some countries are 'online' with this program, and others aren't.  I sounds like it would simplify things CONSIDERABLY!!  Good luck!

Yes it is. I'm hoping it can be done by my vet online. 

1 hour ago, allies_daphne said:

We used the VEHCS system for Colombia.  Turnaround time is about 48 hours.  Once it is endorsed by the USDA office an email is sent back to the vet to login and print the permit.  Make sure that when they fill out the application for the permit (this is done electronically too), that they indicate it’s a SD, so there is no charge.  

Thanks. Sounds great and much easier. 

Finally caught up on all the posts.

We, myself, Rich and Halo went back to Idaho for several weeks over Thanksgiving.  Our internet at our home in Idaho has terrible internet, so I really don't spend much time online as I can only use my phone with data.

I had a great girl's cruise with friends, my daughter and her boyfriend.

Over Thanksgiving we bought my daughter her college graduation gift, a car.  Normally it wouldn't be a new car but since she did us the favor of graduating early and saving us a bundle of money and the great deals to be had, we went ahead and got her a new one.  

We also booked a cruise for May out of Long Beach for her 21st birthday.

Not much else going on.  Got back to Florida yesterday and although it is considered cool her, I am enjoying the warmth.

Linda and Halo

3 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Finally caught up on all the posts.

We, myself, Rich and Halo went back to Idaho for several weeks over Thanksgiving.  Our internet at our home in Idaho has terrible internet, so I really don't spend much time online as I can only use my phone with data.

I had a great girl's cruise with friends, my daughter and her boyfriend.

Over Thanksgiving we bought my daughter her college graduation gift, a car.  Normally it wouldn't be a new car but since she did us the favor of graduating early and saving us a bundle of money and the great deals to be had, we went ahead and got her a new one.  

We also booked a cruise for May out of Long Beach for her 21st birthday.

Not much else going on.  Got back to Florida yesterday and although it is considered cool her, I am enjoying the warmth.

Linda and Halo

Wow!  You've been really busy.  Welcome back from your girls cruise, did Halo join you?  Congratulations on your daughter's graduation and on buying her a new car.   Where's your May cruise going?

16 hours ago, rangeley said:

Sorry to hear your dizzy. I've never experienced that before. 

Seems like we just got off a cruise and we're right back on. I've got all our clothes piled up to shove back in the suitcase. Ugh  Not sure I'm ready for this. 

We just got an email from HAL for all the dog stuff. They want us to do paperwork for all the places we are stopping whether getting off or not. Not gonna happen. Already faxed the Bahamas permit and maybe doing Amber cove, but not doing Grand Turk. They actually sent a link for eaSch island and the requirements, which I thought was nice. Of course they want all the info now. Lol  Haven't they learned they will not get it til the week of the cruise. 

We got around 10" of snow. In the 40s today so maybe some melting going on. 

You actually think outside the cruise line box.....very smart.  We know that the paperwork is not necessary until one week before the actual cruise date.  Although, it does sound like HAL takes a more proactive stance on the paperwork and what is needed.  I like that!

Since I pack my clothes in a soft-sided hanging bag, I put plastic clothes bags around them to keep them from wrinkling and if you were to look in my closet everything is covered in plastic.  I take it all out of the hanging bag and just hang it up as-is......I've been known to keep it like this for quite some time and will forget what I've got!!!!!

Does Oakland like the snow?  Horty and I would like it for a day.......and then could someone please come and take it all away!!  

Yay!  I'm almost not so dizzy anymore!!!!  I can actually close my eyes while standing up, without feeling like the dang room is spinning, and I have to find something to hold on to or I'll spin out of control like a big, blonde human top.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:43 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

You actually think outside the cruise line box.....very smart.  We know that the paperwork is not necessary until one week before the actual cruise date.  Although, it does sound like HAL takes a more proactive stance on the paperwork and what is needed.  I like that!

Since I pack my clothes in a soft-sided hanging bag, I put plastic clothes bags around them to keep them from wrinkling and if you were to look in my closet everything is covered in plastic.  I take it all out of the hanging bag and just hang it up as-is......I've been known to keep it like this for quite some time and will forget what I've got!!!!!

Does Oakland like the snow?  Horty and I would like it for a day.......and then could someone please come and take it all away!!  

Yay!  I'm almost not so dizzy anymore!!!!  I can actually close my eyes while standing up, without feeling like the dang room is spinning, and I have to find something to hold on to or I'll spin out of control like a big, blonde human top.

Oakland doesn't seem to care either way about the snow. There maybe some extra sniffing and sticking his head in the snow but thats it. 

16 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy Weekend Everyone.  We're raining here in L.A.   It's supposed to warm up to 75 degrees next week.  Not that I miss the hot summer but I do love that California sunshine!  

Going to be in the teens here. ☹️

On 12/6/2019 at 3:26 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Wow!  You've been really busy.  Welcome back from your girls cruise, did Halo join you?  Congratulations on your daughter's graduation and on buying her a new car.   Where's your May cruise going?

Halo did not go.  Rich flew in to take care of him.  Rich is really possessive and doesn't think anyone can take care of him and I as well as he does.  News for him, my daughter can.  But that is ok, I am ok without him, as long as I have a "service person".  Being that my daughter works in home health and works with people who fall more than I do and have more mobility issues than I do, she is great to have assist.

We are going on the Carnival Inspiration, May 18th from Long Beach to Catalina Island and Ensenada.  Since you ask, I assume nothing special for Catalina Island?  Mexico seems fairly simple and endorsed 7001 and health certificate?  I don't need an import permit like I did for Bahamas?

Are both those ports ok/safe for Halo?  What is recommended to do with mobility issues?

Linda and Halo

19 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Halo did not go.  Rich flew in to take care of him.  Rich is really possessive and doesn't think anyone can take care of him and I as well as he does.  News for him, my daughter can.  But that is ok, I am ok without him, as long as I have a "service person".  Being that my daughter works in home health and works with people who fall more than I do and have more mobility issues than I do, she is great to have assist.

We are going on the Carnival Inspiration, May 18th from Long Beach to Catalina Island and Ensenada.  Since you ask, I assume nothing special for Catalina Island?  Mexico seems fairly simple and endorsed 7001 and health certificate?  I don't need an import permit like I did for Bahamas?

Are both those ports ok/safe for Halo?  What is recommended to do with mobility issues?

Linda and Halo

This was our first SD team trip two years ago. MurphySD loved the ship, the potty box was large enough for him to turn around in.  Catalina was great, they do tender you from ship to pier. I wasn’t impressed with Encinada it’s run down a lot since we’d gone there two years prior to this trip. Plus stray dogs running around. There is a nice shopping area right off the ship that we enjoyed. No Permit just the health certificate. There are new rules for the certificate so check usda online. We also had trouble finding a bus/ transportation into town as SD are not recognized in Mexico and it’s up to the drivers if they want to take dog, the person outside the shops at pier did explain in Spanish to couple drivers till he found one to take us. The authorities checking passports to leave pier back to ship were very nice and were smiling at us, no problems or extra examination of SD, just checked passport and ID. Carnival had given the Mexico port our information prior to disembarking. I’ve found Carnival Special needs department to be very helpful. They sent a crew member to meet us and take us directly onboard to the main desk so they could make several copies of health certificate. Then to dining area to request special seating so SD wouldn’t get stepped on and I’d be close to exit. We also found out what nights the dining staff sing & dance as I couldn’t dine those nights due to the excess noise triggering me. They were very nice and helpful. 

On 12/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Catalina is a USA Port, nothing needed.  You may be asked to meet Immigration in a lounge area early in the morning with Halo upon arrival to the Port in Ensenada.  You only need the Aphis 7001 Form signed by your Vet.  There are lots of kiosks to shop in as you step off the ship without having to actually go into town.  And, you will not find any stray dogs at the pier shops. 

Horton doesn't like to be lowered into a Tender Boat so therefor I always skip any ports that require them.  The ships are more than happy to assist in lowering and raising your dog for you, if needed.  We had fun visiting the glass bottom boat in Catalina with my first Service Dog, Brenda.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Catalina has no strays but it does require a tender.  Going up and down some stairs for both you and Halo.  You do not need any special paperwork at all.  The glass bottom boat tour is fun but again it does require some climbing of stairs.  It's a lovely little touristy town.

I've had very good luck with Carnival allowing the pottybox on our Veranda.  If you have a Veranda cabin ask that the box be placed there for your convenience.

I actually like the pier in Long Beach better than San Pedro.  You enter the ship on a long, covered, walkway over the waterway, with the sea breezes blowing rather than the enclosed "hamster like" tunnel that Princess makes you traverse.

Happy Countdown!  

We leave Friday at 3 for the airport to head to FLL.  OMG I need it!  It is currently 21F here at my house.  And it has been GREY for days!  

Scooter is staying here, I'll have plenty of human help, and he HATES flying.  He isn't a huge fan of the cruise ship, either, but the flying is worse.  Plus, I'm on vacation.  If I end up laid up for a couple of days, at least I'll be warm.  He likes where he will be.  There are other DOGS to play with!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Happy Countdown!  

We leave Friday at 3 for the airport to head to FLL.  OMG I need it!  It is currently 21F here at my house.  And it has been GREY for days!  

Scooter is staying here, I'll have plenty of human help, and he HATES flying.  He isn't a huge fan of the cruise ship, either, but the flying is worse.  Plus, I'm on vacation.  If I end up laid up for a couple of days, at least I'll be warm.  He likes where he will be.  There are other DOGS to play with!

Have a great cruise!!!! 

Hey everyone!  Mavis and I are sitting on the beach at St Thomas enjoying the sun, surf, and lovely weather!  We had no problems getting aboard the Allure, and I’m hoping that we continue with this care-free vacation!  Thanks to everyone for helping me stay strong and positive when planning this trip with my special girl.  You all are awesome!

D3608B50-9B9F-4138-9BC6-0C1CA78B5D6B.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 7:08 AM, Algebralovr said:

Happy Countdown!  

Have a restful, funfilled time!

13 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Hey everyone!  Mavis and I are sitting on the beach at St Thomas enjoying the sun, surf, and lovely weather!  We had no problems getting aboard the Allure, and I’m hoping that we continue with this care-free vacation!  Thanks to everyone for helping me stay strong and positive when planning this trip with my special girl.  You all are awesome!

Hey Mavis, you lend new meaning to the words "bathing beauty!"

22 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Mavis looks happy!