Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

42 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Our boxes on Princess, they were huge with the biggest bark mulch ever! 

Sorry about Oakland peeing 😝

IMG_20191109_200005.jpg

Horton hates these large tree bark pieces that they call "mulch!"  They can be sharp and hurt when they step on them.  He literally tip-toes on them until I lay down the piece of artificial grass, then he steps freely and easily on the stuff.  

There is wonderful, small, soft mulch that is easy for the dogs to step and potty on.  The stuff that is used around the plant beds at Target stores and Kaiser Hospitals is perfect.  I'm going to find out what they use and where they buy it and I'm going to suggest it to the ships.  

Geeezzz!  Such work for such simple stuff.

Cindy, dinner with the four of us was quite a feat wasn't it?  I loved how we had to place the dogs in strategic positions so that they didn't trip the waiters or the other passengers......Again, such work for such simple stuff!

Boy, traveling with a Service Dog can really be quite an adventure.......I love every minute of it and can't imagine my life without a Service Dog in it!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I have traveled on Royal Caribbean with my service dog with no issue.  We are planning a cruise on Princess and one of the stops is Princess Cays.  This is what their access office is telling me.  I have no idea what they are talking about.  Do any of you?

1 form Excel Document you can find online- application needs to be filled out and sent to the Port Agent. This application will take 2 business days to be processed. Without this approved permit, the dog will not be allowed ashore

You need the Bahamas permit to take your dog off the ship at Princess Cays. Go to the aphis website to get the permit. I'm not sure when your cruise is but if its soon, faxing the permit is the way to go. Mailing will take a long time. Also if you write service dog across the top, there is no fee. 

22 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton hates these large tree bark pieces that they call "mulch!"  They can be sharp and hurt when they step on them.  He literally tip-toes on them until I lay down the piece of artificial grass, then he steps freely and easily on the stuff.  

There is wonderful, small, soft mulch that is easy for the dogs to step and potty on.  The stuff that is used around the plant beds at Target stores and Kaiser Hospitals is perfect.  I'm going to find out what they use and where they buy it and I'm going to suggest it to the ships.  

Geeezzz!  Such work for such simple stuff.

Cindy, dinner with the four of us was quite a feat wasn't it?  I loved how we had to place the dogs in strategic positions so that they didn't trip the waiters or the other passengers......Again, such work for such simple stuff!

Boy, traveling with a Service Dog can really be quite an adventure.......I love every minute of it and can't imagine my life without a Service Dog in it!!!!!!

That mulch was way to big!! I've never seen anything like it. With the plastic liner, Oakie was slipping and sliding all over the place. 

I love how Oakland would creep his way over to your side of the table at dinner. Sometimes laying on Auntie Roz feet! Haha 

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

That mulch was way to big!! I've never seen anything like it. With the plastic liner, Oakie was slipping and sliding all over the place. 

I love how Oakland would creep his way over to your side of the table at dinner. Sometimes laying on Auntie Roz feet! Haha 

Feet, maybe!  But it was when he would slide his face up my chest and rest his beautiful nose under my chin that I loved the most.  I thought it was going to drive John crazy, he didn't like when Auntie Roz encouraged "Oleander" to do whatever he wanted to!

I'm like the great aunt that you invite to dinner and has all the kids saying bad words and acting like little imps.......Love it!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Feet, maybe!  But it was when he would slide his face up my chest and rest his beautiful nose under my chin that I loved the most.  I thought it was going to drive John crazy, he didn't like when Auntie Roz encouraged "Oleander" to do whatever he wanted to!

I'm like the great aunt that you invite to dinner and has all the kids saying bad words and acting like little imps.......Love it!!!!

Oleander loved his Auntie Roz. Especially when she let him do bad things. As for John, he got over it. Haha 

• Like 1

Happy New Year!  I’m spending this evening at home, in my PJs, on the couch with Scooter watching TV.  Having a glass of champagne while I watch TV.  We brought back a bottle from a cruise last year and it has been in the refrigerator since.  Decided to open and enjoy it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Happy New Year to all my cruise and service doggie friends!

Right back at you and EVERYONE who adds to this amazing thread.  And, to those who like to read but have not responded yet, we welcome your input.

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

Why do some folks think it's necessary to set off fireworks in areas where it's AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!

I have a difficult enough time at the 4th of July when, again, it's AGAINST THE LAW but they insist on setting off the stuff. 

Poor Horton just shudders at the popping noises.  Part of his job is to alert to such sounds and he can't calm himself through it all and get relief from the urges to consistently "alert" me.  It's exhausting to watch his frustration.  I have found if I give him the "release" command and then ask him to go to one of his beds and then simply ignore him, he eventually calms himself, while laying and staring at me.  It does no good to be too affectionate to him at this time!

Thank goodness the weather was so windy and cold that it was difficult for the moron's to continue and at about 1:00am it finally stopped.

Horton is ultra sensitive to sounds in his environment.  I love him for his work ethic but it's very difficult for him.

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Why do some folks think it's necessary to set off fireworks in areas where it's AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!

I have a difficult enough time at the 4th of July when, again, it's AGAINST THE LAW but they insist on setting off the stuff. 

Poor Horton just shudders at the popping noises.  Part of his job is to alert to such sounds and he can't calm himself through it all and get relief from the urges to consistently "alert" me.  It's exhausting to watch his frustration.  I have found if I give him the "release" command and then ask him to go to one of his beds and then simply ignore him, he eventually calms himself, while laying and staring at me.  It does no good to be too affectionate to him at this time!

Thank goodness the weather was so windy and cold that it was difficult for the moron's to continue and at about 1:00am it finally stopped.

Horton is ultra sensitive to sounds in his environment.  I love him for his work ethic but it's very difficult for him.

Poor Horty!! Johns first sd was terrified of fireworks and thunder. It was awful. 

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

Poor Horty!! Johns first sd was terrified of fireworks and thunder. It was awful. 

My first dog, Brenda could have cared less about the fireworks........Horty doesn't like it when someone walks by our front door or someone carries on a conversation by my front door.  He's the ultimate "alert" dog.  I have so much respect for his intensity at his job but I feel badly for him because it absolutely drains his energy.

Well change of plans for us. We are leaving tomorrow instead of Sunday. Some weather might be coming in. Normally this wouldnt be to much of a concern but we had asked a neighbor to drive our van to the airport to drop us off. Being that its at 430am and possible snow, we decided to just change our flight. In mass we have something called "the ride" which is a handicapped van that you can take, but it was to early to get that so we asked someone. Not fair to him to drive us in snow. So after scrambling to change flight and find somewhere to stay, we are ready to go. Well maybe not ready. Lol I now have 1 day to do everything. I don't even have the usda paperwork yet. 😱

18 hours ago, rangeley said:

Raylene shares Horton’s feelings about fireworks noise. She awakened me right at midnight on NY Eve, so I took her out for a pee -  the noise was over pretty soon, thank goodness. The 4th of July is awful - just goes on and on.

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

Well change of plans for us. We are leaving tomorrow instead of Sunday. Some weather might be coming in. Normally this wouldnt be to much of a concern but we had asked a neighbor to drive our van to the airport to drop us off. Being that its at 430am and possible snow, we decided to just change our flight. In mass we have something called "the ride" which is a handicapped van that you can take, but it was to early to get that so we asked someone. Not fair to him to drive us in snow. So after scrambling to change flight and find somewhere to stay, we are ready to go. Well maybe not ready. Lol I now have 1 day to do everything. I don't even have the usda paperwork yet. 😱

I think you are smart to get out early. We did that once - heard the weather report and jumped in the car after lunch - drove south On I-95 from our former home in NC, a day earlier than planned, and finally stopped for the night  at a motel. Next morning, all the frozen, slick roads that developed overnight were just above us, according to weather reports. Whew! Dodged a bullet, and went on down to Florida for our cruise.

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

OMG!  Cindy, what the heck!  Do you think you're 20 years old??????  Talk about living on the edge!  Take one step at a time, easy girl!  I'm thinking very positive thoughts for you and hoping that your cruise is a good one for all of you!

Bon~Voyage!  Have a wonderful cruise, try to have fun without me!

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I think you are smart to get out early. We did that once - heard the weather report and jumped in the car after lunch - drove south On I-95 from our former home in NC, a day earlier than planned, and finally stopped for the night  at a motel. Next morning, all the frozen, slick roads that developed overnight were just above us, according to weather reports. Whew! Dodged a bullet, and went on down to Florida for our cruise.

Amazingly lucky!

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Raylene shares Horton’s feelings about fireworks noise. She awakened me right at midnight on NY Eve, so I took her out for a pee -  the noise was over pretty soon, thank goodness. The 4th of July is awful - just goes on and on.

😘

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

So after scrambling to change flight and find somewhere to stay, we are ready to go. Well maybe not ready. Lol I now have 1 day to do everything. I don't even have the usda paperwork yet. 😱

I hope you make it to your cruise safely. Have a great time!

Dianne

Its amazing how the organizations and instructors who train these dogs do such a good job of matching them to the appropriate roles. Henri is fantastic at what she does for me, but she would make a terrible hearing dog. She is not sensitive to noise and fireworks don't bother her in the least. The only thing that makes her nervous is small dogs that bark a lot (we seem to run into a lot of those when we cruise). 

Dianne

• Like 1

Wow good move on your part! 

Ya it was the best solution. I think its probably only going to be a few inches, but it would be at the time we were heading to the airport. Not fair to our friend who was going to drive us. 

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

OMG!  Cindy, what the heck!  Do you think you're 20 years old??????  Talk about living on the edge!  Take one step at a time, easy girl!  I'm thinking very positive thoughts for you and hoping that your cruise is a good one for all of you!

Bon~Voyage!  Have a wonderful cruise, try to have fun without me!

Are you calling me old? Well I never...... 

I will have fun but will be wishing you were there with us. Oleander will be so lonely without his buddy. 

I got the usda paperwork this afternoon so the dog is all set. There was a problem of submitting it to early. We had the date of the 9th which is when we were going to the Dominican. I guess it was more than 10 days out and thats why it was rejected. So she resubmitted on Tuesday and it went through. Because we submitted it twice, we had to pay another 40$. I was not happy about that but paid it and kept my mouth shut.