Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

When questioned, I always politely state that they are in violation (of whatever the applicable law is) and that I am only complying because they are insisting (for example, showing an ID) and that I will be following up with their corporate office when I return home. I have decided that I am no longer going to let things go because that just makes it harder for the next service dog team. 

Thank you!!!!  Having an owner-trained service dog can be very challenging because there is no documentation to 'prove' the dog has been properly trained.  When program-graduated teams flash IDs and certificates it makes it nearly impossible for folks like me to access those places.  They INSIST that YES there are papers that I must show in order to prove my dog is legit because they 'see them all the time'.  It's incredibly frustrating, because all I want to do is get my day done just like everyone else.  I don't want the drama, and I don't want to spend 30 minutes every time I go out trying to re-educate businesses. So, those of you who DO have IDs from programs, please help us educate people that the IDs aren't 'all-access passes', rather they are identifications given to you from your program stating that your dog was trained there.  We all need to stick together and support each other like DUTRAVEL is doing!  :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Thank you!!!!  Having an owner-trained service dog can be very challenging because there is no documentation to 'prove' the dog has been properly trained.  When program-graduated teams flash IDs and certificates it makes it nearly impossible for folks like me to access those places.  They INSIST that YES there are papers that I must show in order to prove my dog is legit because they 'see them all the time'.  It's incredibly frustrating, because all I want to do is get my day done just like everyone else.  I don't want the drama, and I don't want to spend 30 minutes every time I go out trying to re-educate businesses. So, those of you who DO have IDs from programs, please help us educate people that the IDs aren't 'all-access passes', rather they are identifications given to you from your program stating that your dog was trained there.  We all need to stick together and support each other like DUTRAVEL is doing! 🙂

You are so right, we do need to be a strong voice for one another.  The only time that this becomes an issue is when I'm in a room being examined by an Immigration official and the other dogs in the room are growling, barking and acting badly.

They make it very difficult for those of us who have trained Service Dogs and in frustration I bring out my ID card from CCI, I ask Horton to sit/stay and I take a seat, tuck his leash under my leg and watch the "pet dog show!"

I'm not going to allow these folks to get away with this behavior anymore.  When I see a "fake" SD on board a cruise or in the market or hotel, I'm going to call them "OUT!"  Hopefully, this will STOP people from dragging their untrained, poorly behaving pets into the public forum.

What bothers me  more than folks who present paperwork or certifications from training org's are the people who make it difficult for me by bringing poorly behaving pets wherever they go.  And, unfortunately, it happens more than I care to mention.

Very interesting about JetBlue. I just read their website, which says “Jet Blue May request documentation of your animal’s status.”

They have a lot of documentation required in advance for emotional support and psychiatric support animals. It’s no wonder their employees are going to expect everyone to have papers of some sort, and fear they aren’t doing their jobs if they don’t “request documentation” for everything with four feet.

10 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

Our SD Mickey was also weird on our last flight. He normally will lay at my daughters feet, and just re-situate now and then.  We had a rough landing on our outbound flight, and the gravity pulling him against the wall was a little unsettling.  On our return flight, he was fine when we boarded, but before we even took off, he was acting out of sorts, laying down, but staring at the wall and not easily distracted from that.  I thought maybe he was going to get sick. He never did, but he also never relaxed or settled in.  As soon as we got off the plane he was fine.  So, not sure if there was just something about the last fight, or if he know is a little leery because of that rough landing on the first flight. We shall see the next time we fly.....

Wow Oakland was acting the same way!! Our last and his first flight was out to LA. Over 6 hours and he was great. We did not understand this behavior at all. We were also wondering if it had something to do with being in the bulkhead seats. Last time we were way back in the extra leg room seats. 

9 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I do have a letter from CCI that outlines the training Henri and I have had, but I only use it for international travel where they require dogs to be professionally trained (for example, Eurostar requires that your dog be trained by a member organization of Assistance Dogs International). I have not been asked to show any documentation traveling on domestic airlines. I was asked to sign a “pet release” last month at Harrah’s in Tahoe and I asked to speak with a supervisor. They did end up apologizing to me and agreed I was not required to sign the papers. 

When questioned, I always politely state that they are in violation (of whatever the applicable law is) and that I am only complying because they are insisting (for example, showing an ID) and that I will be following up with their corporate office when I return home. I have decided that I am no longer going to let things go because that just makes it harder for the next service dog team. 

Jetblue had a supervisor come out and talk to us. She asked John for some identification for the dog and asked what the dog did for him. I told her we were not asked in November and she said this just started and they went to training about a month ago. We saw at least 4 other non service dogs around the airport yesterday. Alot of people are flying with their pets. 

Halo was weirded out similar to Oakland and Mickey, on his last flight.  It was really weird.  Same seats we always have.  Don't know what was different.

Halo stops and put on hard brakes about 25 feet from the relief stations in the airports.  He refuses to go into any.  Good thing he can hold it forever.  

Linda and Halo

That’s interesting that JetBlue is asking for ID or a training letter. The Final Statement of Enforcement Priorities that was just released by the Department of Transportation in August provides:

1.      Proof that an Animal is a Service Animal. If a passenger’s disability is not clear, airlines may ask limited questions to determine the passenger’s need for the animal even if the animal has other indicia of a service animal such as a harness, vest, or tag.” and

2.      “Documentation Requirements. We do not anticipate taking enforcement action against an airline for asking users of any type of service animal to present documentation related to the animal’s vaccination, training, or behavior, so long as it is reasonable to believe that the documentation would assist the airline in determining whether an animal poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. We will monitor airlines’ animal documentation requirements to ensure that they are not being used to unduly restrict passengers with disabilities from traveling with their service animals.”

It seems that JetBlue may be asking for documentation regardless of whether your disability is visible and regardless of the dog’s behavior. Of course, the Enforcement Priorities do not have the force or law and are only guidelines on how the current rules should be interpreted. Until the new amendments to the Air Carrier Access Act are released, it appears that this will continue to be a grey area of the law and it may be a good idea to carry as much documentation as you have.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

Jetblue had a supervisor come out and talk to us. She asked John for some identification for the dog and asked what the dog did for him. I told her we were not asked in November and she said this just started and they went to training about a month ago. We saw at least 4 other non service dogs around the airport yesterday. Alot of people are flying with their pets. 

I am so proud to walk with Horton and go into any public situation.  He is remarkably well behaved and responds to my commands very well.  

Watching the way Oakland responds to you and John makes it so much easier for both of you when going out in public.

I know that my having "paperwork" for Horton may make it more difficult for those who have no paperwork from a training org.,  but it's so simple to have your Vet write something about your dogs training [by you'] on an RX pad and carry that around with you wherever you go!  I might even have it laminated so it doesn't shred or fall apart easily from usage.

15 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I am so proud to walk with Horton and go into any public situation.  He is remarkably well behaved and responds to my commands very well.  

Watching the way Oakland responds to you and John makes it so much easier for both of you when going out in public.

I know that my having "paperwork" for Horton may make it more difficult for those who have no paperwork from a training org.,  but it's so simple to have your Vet write something about your dogs training [by you'] on an RX pad and carry that around with you wherever you go!  I might even have it laminated so it doesn't shred or fall apart easily from usage.

Horty is so well behaved. Oakland is very good in public even though he's new. Unless he's under Auntie Roz spell to get in trouble. Both dogs loved meeting people. They are so social. 

I still think there should be some kind of govt certification. This way all dogs trained by an organization or self trained can avoid the hassle. Just show your govt card and done! 

Hung out by the pool today. Posting my boys..

IMG_20200104_144723.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, rangeley said:

A girl in our vets office said it would be so easy if we had a pet passport. As far as I know it's kind of useless. Anyone know anything about it? 

If she's talking about the pet passport that they have in the EU, I believe that you have to have a local address to get one. It does make traveling easier because you do not need to get a health certificate to travel between EU countries (but it has nothing to do with service dog documentation).

British Columbia has a service dog registry and you can register even if you are a US citizen. All you have to do is send in your training documentation from a member organization of Assistance Dogs International. Even if your dog is privately or owner trained you can get a registration card by passing a public access test (which they provide in multiple locations). No doubt it would be more work to have to go and pass the test, but everyone regardless of who trains their dog can be registered.

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Horty is so well behaved. Oakland is very good in public even though he's new. Unless he's under Auntie Roz spell to get in trouble. Both dogs loved meeting people. They are so social. 

I still think there should be some kind of govt certification. This way all dogs trained by an organization or self trained can avoid the hassle. Just show your govt card and done! 

Hung out by the pool today. Posting my boys..

IMG_20200104_144723.jpg

They both look like warmer climates agree with them.

Yep!  I love getting these well-trained Service Dogs all stirred up and watching them act like puppies!

I wish there were government regulatory certificates for trained SD's.   If your dog and you were trained by an accredited agency the Government Cert. should be automatic and given by the agency upon graduation. 

There would ALWAYS be objection by the privately trained folks because they would have to acquire special testing materials and here come the objections.  Way too much red tape.  The training orgs. are trying to kick start this but "self-trained" folks don't help in getting it done, and before you know it.......it all gets bogged down with laws, regulations, paper work and objections to one thing or another.

21 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

They both look like warmer climates agree with them.

Yep!  I love getting these well-trained Service Dogs all stirred up and watching them act like puppies!

I wish there were government regulatory certificates for trained SD's.   If your dog and you were trained by an accredited agency the Government Cert. should be automatic and given by the agency upon graduation. 

There would ALWAYS be objection by the privately trained folks because they would have to acquire special testing materials and here come the objections.  Way too much red tape.  The training orgs. are trying to kick start this but "self-trained" folks don't help in getting it done, and before you know it.......it all gets bogged down with laws, regulations, paper work and objections to one thing or another.

I self-trained my service dog and I am all for government issued certification! AKC is in the beginning stages of creating something called the "Service Dog Pass". They haven't released much about it yet, but I'm hoping it will be good!

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

If she's talking about the pet passport that they have in the EU, I believe that you have to have a local address to get one. It does make traveling easier because you do not need to get a health certificate to travel between EU countries (but it has nothing to do with service dog documentation).

British Columbia has a service dog registry and you can register even if you are a US citizen. All you have to do is send in your training documentation from a member organization of Assistance Dogs International. Even if your dog is privately or owner trained you can get a registration card by passing a public access test (which they provide in multiple locations). No doubt it would be more work to have to go and pass the test, but everyone regardless of who trains their dog can be registered.

So it's useless to us in the Caribbean. 

As someone who hired a private trainer to aid in training my dog (we did a board and train, followed by self training, followed by many weekend workshops with the trainer) I would welcome a real government sponsored public access test, registry and ID.  There needs to be a fee waiver for those living in poverty, though, since MANY people with disabilities live in poverty.  

I don’t have an ID card for Scooter right now.  We had one from our trainer previously, but the expiration date is past.  The trainer I hired recommended we “re-certify” after two years, which was May 2019, but we’ve not made the time to do so.  They are over 170 miles away, and I spent way too much time recovering in 2019.

I have been seriously tempted to create an ID card on my computer and print it.  I maintain the standard, which is the important part.  When the cape goes on, people act amazed at his behavior.  

3 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

I self-trained my service dog and I am all for government issued certification! AKC is in the beginning stages of creating something called the "Service Dog Pass". They haven't released much about it yet, but I'm hoping it will be good!

I'd like to hear more about the AKC  Service Dog Registration Card.  Organizations like Canine Companions For Independence will advocate for the proper ID Card for all certified and well trained Service Dogs.  I hope that I'm still working with a SD and am around to see such positive things happen.

Until there is UNIVERSAL REGISTRATION and an ID CARD make sure that your dog acts appropriately in public at all times.

10 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I looked into this a couple of years ago because I live near the BC border and enter Canada on occasion.  It ended up being cost prohibitive for owner-trained SD handlers.  If you have a dog from a recognized and acceptable program, you were automatically able to register your dog.  If your dog was not trained by one of those programs (and I want to say it was only a few programs) then there was a $200 fee to take the PA test.  I decided since it isn't required in BC to have your SD registered, it wasn't worth the fee to test my dog through their channels.  I've never had a problem with my SD when traveling in BC up to this point, so it simply wouldn't be money well spent.

8 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

I've not heard of this, but it sounds interesting!  I look forward to learning more about it when it becomes 'official'!!  I owner-trained my SD too.  She had her CGC, CGCA, and CGCU before I even attempted to have a third party evaluator test her readiness for Public Access.  Since I didn't use a program, I wanted to make sure that she was up to the minimum standards for being a good canine citizen before proceeding with her service work in public!

19 hours ago, rangeley said:

We saw at least 4 other non service dogs around the airport yesterday. Alot of people are flying with their pets. 

We were at Miami Int'l Airport a few weeks ago and they had a special LINE for people with dogs!!  I was very nervous about standing in it because there were at least 8 obnoxious, uncontrolled dogs that wanted to start trouble with my SD.  My family stood around her like guards as she slept on the floor just to keep these dogs on their flexi-leashes away!  It was insane.  One man held a poofy, white dog in his arms that was literally yodeling and whining the entire time.  It was terrified.  It had a vest on with something written on the side, but I couldn't read it through his arms and the dog's thick fur.  Then there was a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian that nearly had a death-match throw-down at the counter because their owners weren't paying attention to where they were.  Ridiculous!  And my dear, sweet Mavis slept through all of it!

On January 4, 2020 at 1:27 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

You are so right, we do need to be a strong voice for one another.  ...  I'm not going to allow these folks to get away with this behavior anymore.  When I see a "fake" SD on board a cruise or in the market or hotel, I'm going to call them "OUT!"  Hopefully, this will STOP people from dragging their untrained, poorly behaving pets into the public forum.

What you have to remember Roz, is that some of those "fakes" ARE real service dogs that are just not trained properly around other dogs.  A lot of veterans and elderly folks have dogs that provide very important medical alerts, which makes them real service dogs, but the dogs don't have the proper public access training to always act appropriately in public.  Rather than attack them, maybe find a way to help educate them.  Often they don't have the money to hire a professional trainer, and they themselves aren't experts in dog behavior.  I understand that none of us want our service dogs attacked or even upset by another dog out in public, but compassion can go a long way.  Encourage folks with naughty dogs to carry high-value treats to distract their dog when they see that they are going to be reactive.  And be kind when explaining how their dog's behavior makes it difficult for your dog to work for fear of being injured.  It might fall on deaf ears, but at least you tried.  If they become belligerent, then by all means, call an authority figure to mediate the situation!  :)

2 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

We were at Miami Int'l Airport a few weeks ago and they had a special LINE for people with dogs!!  I was very nervous about standing in it because there were at least 8 obnoxious, uncontrolled dogs that wanted to start trouble with my SD.  My family stood around her like guards as she slept on the floor just to keep these dogs on their flexi-leashes away!  It was insane.  One man held a poofy, white dog in his arms that was literally yodeling and whining the entire time.  It was terrified.  It had a vest on with something written on the side, but I couldn't read it through his arms and the dog's thick fur.  Then there was a Chihuahua and a Pomeranian that nearly had a death-match throw-down at the counter because their owners weren't paying attention to where they were.  Ridiculous!  And my dear, sweet Mavis slept through all of it!

Omg!! I'm glad I wasn't there for that. 

Just a quick comment. A lot of organizations give their dogs for free. CCI all the dogs are free. You get a beautiful room to stay for free while you are training. And volunteers bring homemade food every day for lunch. There are so many leftovers that we didnt even worry about dinner. The only expense we had was a yogurt and granola bar we ate for breakfast. 

Edited by rangeley

Yikes- a special line for dogs?  That puts the real trained dogs at even more risk from the untrained ones

@rangeley one issue is the wait lists, and that not everyone qualifies for a dog from the well funded orgs.   I know someone who has been on a waitlist for over two years.  No end in sight from the organization she is waitlisted for.

British Columbia will provide an ID card to any dog trained by an ADI or GDFB member organization.  One issue is that ADI does not admit for-profit companies to their membership.  So, a small business that trains even a decent number of dogs a year isn’t admitted.  The trainer I got mine from is a mom&pop small business, which helps keep their overhead low, and they train a lot of dogs for veterans, paid for by various vet organizations.  But, their dogs are considered privately trained and not ADI approved.  It is an issue.  Just one more reason why we do need a national registry with specific criteria that can actually certify dogs.

I don’t consider $200 for registration for my dog to be too much, after all it is paying for someone to go over the paperwork from my physician and me, look at my training log, and actually administer the public access test.  That person has to have some training in what the PAT actually means and what is expected.  Considering my costs for training, $300 isn’t bad.

6 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

I looked into this a couple of years ago because I live near the BC border and enter Canada on occasion.  It ended up being cost prohibitive for owner-trained SD handlers.  If you have a dog from a recognized and acceptable program, you were automatically able to register your dog.  If your dog was not trained by one of those programs (and I want to say it was only a few programs) then there was a $200 fee to take the PA test.  I decided since it isn't required in BC to have your SD registered, it wasn't worth the fee to test my dog through their channels.  I've never had a problem with my SD when traveling in BC up to this point, so it simply wouldn't be money well spent.

I didn't know there was a fee for non-ADI organization trained dogs, but it still provides a good framework for a national registration since it does allow certification for owner-trained dogs. I have been refused by yellow cab because of my service dog in Vancouver when trying to take a taxi from Canada Place to the airport.

19 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

If she's talking about the pet passport that they have in the EU, I believe that you have to have a local address to get one. It does make traveling easier because you do not need to get a health certificate to travel between EU countries (but it has nothing to do with service dog documentation)

I have a UK/EU pet passport for my dog.  You don’t need a UK address but it looks like all bets will be off after Brexit!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit

I live in BC and love the fact we have certification!  Nico’s school does the paperwork with the government so it’s seamless for the handler.  I have been asked for my ID on several occasions, especially when checking into hotels.  Sadly, I don’t think certification helps with the taxi situation.  Many drivers won’t stop if you have a dog, even if it is certified.  There are huge penalties for doing so - drivers can be banned from the airport run for a month - but it still happens way too frequently.