For those visiting Hubbard Glacier this season

kennicott

Hubbard has begun to surge forward again and could be quite an attraction this summer. Only 640 feet to go before it reaches Gilbert Point and it is advancing 9 to 12 feet per day right now. In the last two to three months it has moved about 1000 feet. It closed off Russel Fiord in 1986 and 2002. The dam broke both times. The first after the water was 83 feet above sea level the second time, 61 feet. Glaciologists say the dam will eventually hold. After the lake reaches 135 feeet the water is going south flooding the Situk River doing great ecological damage particularly to salmon spawining areas and maybe even doing in the Yakutat Airport. More on this at http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/hubbard/

Kennicott,

Our cruise on RCCL was scheduled to see Hubbard Glacier in aug 2002. We were there just after the dam broke. The ship waited several hours but never got close to Hubbard. Big disappointment at missing Hubbard glacier.

Larrt

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

Another big deal on statewide TV news this evening regarding Hubbard Glacier. Apparently the governor flew over the area today as he is requesting an emergency appropriation from the feds for diversion of the Situk River if the ice dam holds this time. Sort of confusing, as the Forest Service’s web site indicates they don’t expect the glacier to reach the other side this season and the glaciers advance had slowed to almost nothing as of April 9th the last time they updated. However, the newspaper the other day said it is moving forward about 12 feet per day again. And today’s news about the governor indicated the same thing except that newscast quoted glaciologist estimates that it might reach Gilbert Point the end of next month. Since we now have the politicians into the act I guess we can expect all sorts of predictions from here on out.

OMG! We will be there July 18-25. Hope we can get up close and personal with Hubbard.

I hate to think of missing the opportunity to see Hubbard. Please keep us informed of any and all developments. Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

There was an article in my hometown paper (Orange County Register) about the advancing glacier today. From the article it sounds like officials expect the glacier to reach the other side of the land area by late June.

Monarch 11/97

Elation 8/98

Mercury 8/00

Maasdam 7/02

Grand Princess 7/03

Island Princess 7/04

Travalot,

We will be on the Vision of the Seas; leaving Vancouver May 28th; and we will also be at Hubbard Glacier on the 3rd of June. What is your scheduled time to arrive?? We did Hubbard Glacier a few years back, and it didn't seem like there was room for more than a couple of ships? We are scheduled to be at the Glacier 7:00am -- 11:00am. Enjoy! Kel

link to Skagway weather

So, for a September 5 departure for an inside passage cruise...does that mean we will probably not go to Hubbard Glacier. According to itinerary, we are suppose to "cruise Hubbard Glacier 2 - 6 PM" Where would the cruise go instead???

Until we set sail to Alaska on the Serenade of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

kelmac - I'll wave to you from our ship. Vision and Ryndam are the only two ships scheduled for the morning (both 7 to 11), with the Seven Seas Mariner taking over from 1 - 5 pm. Let's hope for a fantastic show!

HAL's Ryndam - Northbound Alaska - May 28, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;05;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

ebielik - I will!

Wow, 14 days to go... I have to go get my daughter from college today, and my son graduates from high school next week, the cruise is hardly on my radar screen yet! icon_eek.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;05;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Travalot -

Thanks. We will be looking forward to your comments when you return.

Congratulations on your son's graduation. As a Mom of three daughters (all grown and married now) I can tell you what you already know - there is something rewarding as a parent seeing your children reach these milestones.

Do you have any other children that may have already graduated from college? If not, you are in for a real treat. I remember seeing my oldest daughter receive her degree and reality set in that she woman and no longer my little girl.

You must really be looking forward to your cruise once all the family excitement is over - have a great time!

Elaine

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<Marquee>I'm getting out there - SERENADE OF THE SEAS - July 18, 2004<Marquee>

two notes:

1) The links given above are not worth much for current updates. I started reading the news release and noticed they were from 2002. Hello?

2) It was mentioned what ships will be there for certain dates. How or where did you get them?

Alaska via Spirit 6/2/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garycarla:

two notes:

1) The links given above are not worth much for current updates. I started reading the news release and noticed they were from 2002. Hello?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello? Didn't you notice what Yukon said?

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

I got online to this forum specifically to ask Yukon or anyone knowledgeable if there is any news on Hubbard Glacier movement.

Also, is there a news site where I can go to read info on the glacier's movement?

Thanks, Janet

"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"

Be careful about the port schedule website to which "travalot" posted the link. It's very interesting - but I could only get 2003 schedules from the drop-down menu. Click on "Port Schedules" in the dark blue background column on the left, then you can choose the 2004 list in PDF format.

birders - Thanks so much for pointing that out! I had somehow previously found the 2004 info, but didn't look to see that the link was 2003. Here's a direct link to the pdf file:

http://www.alaskacruises.org/iceimages/ports/port_schedule_AK_2004.pdf

One thing nice about this is that you don't have to go from one location to another, but can see where all the ships are in Alaska on any particular day.

Thanks again!

Just got home from SF RT on Mercury. We were at Hubbard on Wed. 5-12-04. Weather was perfect and calving was quite active. We could only approach within about four miles from the glacier face. There was a LOT of ice in the bay. It was still the highlight of our cruise.

Enjoy

Bob

Mercury to Alaska!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived