Here we go again....VEENDAM January 29

DFD1

Just booked the Veendam out of Tampa for January 29. Already booked on the Volendam November 26. Can anyone fill us in on Costa Maya, Mexico. That's a new port of call for us. Thanks

Costa Maya is a small port built by I think CCL for the convenience of their pax. There are a few shops, a swimming pool, a beach right at the pier and snack bars and drink bars. It was cut out of the jungle to make a nice rec. area. Not sure if they do tours from there....jean :cool:

Go to the ports of call board, I`m sure you`ll get more info there :cool:

Our Veendam cruise last March stopped at Costa Maya and we enjoyed it. There are several tours from there. We took the 4x4 All Terrain one to a somewhat secluded beach which was very nice. There were also several tours to Mayan Ruins that I heard good reviews on. We were told that is why they stop since it is closer to some of these ruin sites. The town is just starting to be developed and you can see the way they have it planned out as you leave on the tours. They had just opened their first Gas Station and were thrilled to not have to drive several hours to get gas. The main fishing village we drove thru just got electricity in the past year or so. But in a few years it's expected to be somewhat like Cozumel with a lot of hotels, restaurants, etc. Glad we got to see it before then.

We haven't been on Veendam for about 5 years and a while ago we booked a January 12 day cruise on her. We are very much looking forward to returning to Veendam as we have always enjoyed her on previous cruises.

Thanks for the port information. Sounds like and adventure. How did you like the Veendam. This will be our first time on board. Is she similar to either the Maasdam or the Volendam?

If anyone else has cruised on her, let us know what you think.Thanks again.

DFD1 .... Maybe we can "Wave" to each other on January 29th. We'll be getting off of a 14 Day Veendam (SOUTH) while you are boarding! :p

Back to your question on Costa Maya! We always enjoy being at a beach and/or doing water activities so we just LOVED it there!

On The Ports of Call Board under Costa Maya we posted our review if you'd like to read it:

MAJAHAUL - "The Little Fishing Village" OnOurOwn

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thanks, Ocruisers. We love the beach too, especially when it is not too crowded. We also love finding places that aren't completely developed yet. This place sounds fine for us.

Thanks, DFD....

You may have read how much I love "MY" Maasdam :) Veendam is a sister to her, as well as Statendam and Ryndam. Their deck plans are exactly the same. If you know your way around one of the ships, you know all of them.

Veendam's colors are a bit more vibrant. She is a beautiful ship IMO and we have enjoyed at least five (maybe more) cruises on her. The only reason we have not cruised her in recent years is because of Tampa....not as convenient getting there for us and we love our pre and post cruise stays in FLL where there is a better chance of pool weather during the winter months.

I gather it is hit or miss whether we will have warmish weather in early January in Tampa. At least we know it'll be warm while cruising.

I hope you have as great a time on Veendam as we plan on having. :)

I board the Veendam on Sunday, so I will let you know what I think, upon my return :).

Marie

Lucky you, Marie. :) I hope you have a wonderful time.

Just in case you get busy and are not on the board again before you leave, I'll wish you Bon Voyage now!!

Blue skies and calm seas.....and have a FABULOUS time.

I board the Veendam on Sunday, so I will let you know what I think, upon my return :).

Marie

Bon Voyage, in case I miss you before then... we love Veendam - she is truly beautiful. It was DH's first cruise and he fell in love with her.

I hope you enjoy. :)

Please let us know how it goes.

We were not crazy about this port. It's a shopping mall with a pier.

I've heard that the little town nearby is nice, but I didn't have time to venture there. I took my younger kids on a tour to the ruins which was okay. Other ocean activities were cancelled due to rough seas, which left my husband and teenage son at the shopping mall...I mean port. Not appreciating yet another chance to shop, they spent most of their port time onboard ship.

Personally, I'd rather visit a genuine port and experience the real local color, not something invented for the tourists.

Thanks, ALL, for the wonderful well wishes. I have no doubt it is going to be a fabulous voyage, as I enjoyed the Maasdam so well. I hope I am fortunate to have wonderful tablemates again :). There are 2 couples from the roll call board I am looking forward to meeting. We've already exchanged pics, cabin numbers and set up a meeting time.

DFD - The Veendam is currently in Alaska. I will board her in Vancouver, and disembark in Seward, AK.

Marie

Marie-

Have a wonderful cruise!! We had an awesome time on the Ryndam this year and I know you will on the Veendam. If you are going into Skagway, I haighly recommend the train trip on the Whites Pass and Yukon Railway, really incredible scenery!! I know you will also love Sitka and recommend the Otter adventure as that was where we saw the most whales! Bon Voyage!:cool:

Marie-

Have a wonderful cruise!! We had an awesome time on the Ryndam this year and I know you will on the Veendam. If you are going into Skagway, I haighly recommend the train trip on the Whites Pass and Yukon Railway, really incredible scenery!! I know you will also love Sitka and recommend the Otter adventure as that was where we saw the most whales! Bon Voyage!:cool:

I am going into Skagway, but settled on a 6 hour Yukon Discovery tour with Frontier Excursions. We do not go to Sitka :(.

In Juneau, I am whale watching with Capt Larry, and will take the blue bus on my own to Mendanhall Glacier. I scheduled a 3:00 tour with Larry, so I would have plenty of time in the afternoon.

In Ketchikan, I am taking a floatplane with Michelle at Island Wings!

I am very excited about this trip, but do wonder if I will be a bit lonely, but that is okay.

Marie

Archived