NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

3 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I tend to believe you unnecessarily lost 30,000 points.

But maybe you can help me understand better.

In the same day, you booked an inside, used points to get an OV and then you were able to pay $593 to get a balcony?

Or did you book sometime ago, at some point used points and just recently paid to go from OV to Balcony?

Where I am lost is what did they use as the cash basis for your upgrade?

The points are a complementary upgrade and half the time it even states that on the confirmation.  So how do they value complementary?

Did you get more than one confirmation from the day you booked to the day you got the balcony?

You might be the first ever to pull that off. 

I had almost 10 canceled on me by then because I got caught playing the b2b2b2b game using one booking number.

I booked this cruise May 9, 2022. I booked an Inside cabin. A few weeks ago I used 30k points to upgrade to a window and during that same phone call, I paid $593 to upgrade to a balcony that I chose. I have the same reservation number that I did when originally booking.

Now I'm confused...did I get ripped off or did I pull it off?😁🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I tend to believe you unnecessarily lost 30,000 points.

I'm thinking the same, asked the same question, answer provided didn't really indicate what the value, if any, was given for the points.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

I booked this cruise May 9, 2022. I booked an Inside cabin. A few weeks ago I used 30k points to upgrade to a window and during that same phone call, I paid $593 to upgrade to a balcony that I chose. I have the same reservation number that I did when originally booking.

Ripped off - maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the cruise, what you originally paid and so forth.

I booked a NE/CA cruise in July, 2022 for late September 2023.  I booked OV, price recently reduced almost 50% but I'm not eligible for any FCC.  I believe I would pay an additional $500 to upgrade to balcony (assuming they keep my existing discounts), no points involved. But it's not always straightforward, as the current balcony price is actually about $1700 more than the current OV price and with NCL sometimes you never know how they figure pricing.

Only way to even begin to know is to do a mock booking and see the difference between what you paid vs the current balcony price.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Ripped off - maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the cruise, what you originally paid and so forth.

I booked a NE/CA cruise in July, 2022 for late September 2023.  I booked OV, price recently reduced almost 50% but I'm not eligible for any FCC.  I believe I would pay an additional $500 to upgrade to balcony (assuming they keep my existing discounts), no points involved. But it's not always straightforward, as the current balcony price is actually about $1700 more than the current OV price and with NCL sometimes you never know how they figure pricing.

Only way to even begin to know is to do a mock booking and see the difference between what you paid vs the current balcony price.

I paid $3487 for the balcony (plus the 30k points). I just did a mock booking and a Guarantee balcony is $5909. Both prices include the Free at Sea and the Prepaid Service Charges.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3dogmom said:

I paid $3487 for the balcony (plus the 30k points). I just did a mock booking and a Guarantee balcony is $5909. Both prices include the Free at Sea and the Prepaid Service Charges.

You've totally lost me.  I thought you originally booked an inside?  If you are saying you paid $593 + points to upgrade from the inside to the balcony then it looks like you got a reasonable deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

You've totally lost me.  I thought you originally booked an inside?  If you are saying you paid $593 + points to upgrade from the inside to the balcony then it looks like you got a reasonable deal.

Yes, I paid $593 + points to upgrade from the inside to the balcony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3dogmom said:

What did you pay in May of 2022? Which ship?

I assume about $2800

Seems that they are selling it cheap from what I looked at which is joy or pearl.

Edited by mscdivina2016

13 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

What did you pay in May of 2022?

I assume about $2800

$3154...this price also includes the FAS and gratuities. 

NCL Sky

Edited by 3dogmom
Not enough info!
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Wow,

I looked at that and you have an amazing deal.

Your upgrade from OV to Balcony does not make sense price wise.

Someone made a huge mistake IMHO.   Hope they don't catch it 

Very nice deal 

Glad I got a deal! This obviously confuses the heck outta me, so guess I got the luck of a great WP agent picking up the phone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Breathe in, breathe out.  No need to panic for two weeks or so.  Some people have become addicted to instant gratification (aka the internet) but not all institutions, who are able to do instantaneous reactions.  This is not life and deaths , it will come to fruition but it’s going to take a while, and that is the process with his website.   No point getting spun up about it.  Mix yourself a pitcher of margaritas, pretend you’re on the poop deck, and plan for your cruise.  Sweating the issue gets you no where.  If after two weeks, then five them a call, but in the meantime go get a pedicure at a place that offers cheap white wine.

Just reporting back - I had heard nothing.  I had been checking my account daily so I gave them a call today and I was told 7-10 days before I could expect them to reappear.  Not sure what made me refresh, but the points were back, but of course I had already been disconnected.  A quick call back and I had my desired cabin.  

• Like 2

My wife and I want to apply for a NCL credit card. If we apply now they will offer $200 points. We have been told if we wait until onboard we could get more points or maybe a bonus such as a specialty dinner for two. What do you think? Any other offers available? We have excellent credit. Thank!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IsanTom said:

My wife and I want to apply for a NCL credit card. If we apply now they will offer $200 points. We have been told if we wait until onboard we could get more points or maybe a bonus such as a specialty dinner for two. What do you think? Any other offers available? We have excellent credit. Thank!

NCL does not offer a bonus for applying onboard.  I know CCL does,, but I’ve never even heard the card advertised onboard.  You can apply now, begin using your card then use your card onboard. and receive triple points for all purchases.

using the points for OBC is the worst use of points.  Cabin upgrade is best use usually, followed by cash back.  Many discussions on that here, just read back a ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

NCL does not offer a bonus for applying onboard.  I know CCL does,, but I’ve never even heard the card advertised onboard.  You can apply now, begin using your card then use your card onboard. and receive triple points for all purchases.

using the points for OBC is the worst use of points.  Cabin upgrade is best use usually, followed by cash back.  Many discussions on that here, just read back a ways.

Thanks for your info!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

Hello,

I am looking to do a single meta upgrade on my upcoming 14 day prima cruise. I have an inside cabin booked and see that a balcony is less expensive than an OV. How will this work?

You may want to contact NCL directly to see how much it would be to do a paid upgrade vs. using 30K points.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

Hello,

I am looking to do a single meta upgrade on my upcoming 14 day prima cruise. I have an inside cabin booked and see that a balcony is less expensive than an OV. How will this work?

Meta upgrades with points have nothing to do with money.  They only deal with cabin category.  Even if your current inside is valued higher than a balcony it is still an IN # category. Upgrading with points does not change.  If you are outside penalty you may look at just booking the balcont direct and save your points for later.  No one here can answer that.  Call your NCL rep or TA

12 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

Hello,

You would get an OV.  That's how it works.

But...that's based on availability.  When is the sailing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

When would be a good time to call and redeem my 30k for an upgrade?

You need to do a mock booking and see how many OV are left.

If it's not allot, do it sooner.  If many, then you could wait.

On an Alaska cruise last year, the balcony cabins ended going lower than my inside I booked before using a double upgrade well in advance.

I was lucky I was able to cancel and rebook it again at a much lower price and used points for a double upgrade.

Now you probably can bid to get a balcony once you get the OV.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You need to do a mock booking and see how many OV are left.

If it's not allot, do it sooner.  If many, then you could wait.

On an Alaska cruise last year, the balcony cabins ended going lower than my inside I booked before using a double upgrade well in advance.

I was lucky I was able to cancel and rebook it again at a much lower price and used points for a double upgrade.

Now you probably can bid to get a balcony once you get the OV.

Great thanks for the help! It’s a reposition go cruise on the prima, doesn’t seem to be selling well at all and is dirt cheap!

• Like 1