NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

12 minutes ago, Jpepin92 said:

I have 30k points. Have a guaranteed inside room. I tried to do a single meta upgrade to an oceanview but there are no guaranteed oceanviews available. We are a family of 4 and cannot settle for an inside cabin, I’m tempted to pay outright to upgrade but it’s very expensive. Any suggestions? As I mentioned the cruise is in 45 days and don’t have much time to get points from a second card.

IThis suggestion doesn’t save you $$ but may give you a better cabin.  Do the paid upgrade to a OA cabin, then use your points to upgrade to a balcony.  Check yo make sure both cabins are available.

12 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

IThis suggestion doesn’t save you $$ but may give you a better cabin.  Do the paid upgrade to a OA cabin, then use your points to upgrade to a balcony.  Check yo make sure both cabins are available.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve considered this. The probably is there’s only family ocean views available which are more expensive than a guaranteed balcony. Which would be crazy for us because we will be put into a family stateroom no matter what since there is 4 of us.

27 minutes ago, Jpepin92 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve considered this. The probably is there’s only family ocean views available which are more expensive than a guaranteed balcony. Which would be crazy for us because we will be put into a family stateroom no matter what since there is 4 of us.

Ouch.  Maybe try an upgrade bid to family balcony.  On a site I look at there are currently 99 B4 rooms.  

Edited by laudergayle

25 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Ouch.  Maybe try an upgrade bid to family balcony.  On a site I look at there are currently 99 B4 rooms.  

Yeah that’s kind of what I’m banking on now. The chance of getting stuck in a tiny inside cabin with a 4 year old and an infant is pretty nerve racking, but I guess it’s all part of the fun😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jpepin92 said:

Will they allow me to purchase points? If I had 10k more points I could do an upgrade within the meta to family inside them a single meta upgrade to family oceanview. Very frustrating.

No, unlike the airline programs you can’t buy points.  

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, LoveThatCorgi said:

I have the same thing on a 9/15 NCL charge (payment on cruise fare) - no bonus points included.  I received the bonus points on a 9/27 charge also made to NCL on the same cruise booking.  The bonus points for 9/15 are not on the monthly statement issued a few days ago.

Did you question it with BOA or World Points?  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, vince_g said:

Just wanted to make you all aware that B of A will be having "More Rewards Day" once again this year.  It will be on Thursday, November 9th.  All purchases (up to a $2,500) limit will receive an extra 2 points per dollar.  If you are a preferred rewards member, the extra reward from B of A is only calculated based only on the normal 3 points per dollar spent.

Thanks for the heads up!  I travel on November 17 so I will pay for my gratuities on November 9.  I was looking to see if NCL had gift cards and they do not but they do have the option of purchasing on board credits.  Since I know I'll have on board purchases, I plan on buying some credits and gifting them to myself!  I'm hoping it works!!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, nhtravels said:

Did you question it with BOA or World Points?  

On 10/17/2023 at 9:24 PM, LoveThatCorgi said:

BoA. I had to call twice to find a representative who was willing to help. She opened a case and said to allow 15 days for resolution. I am about halfway through that now. 

The bonus points are showing on my account now as an adjustment. Yay!

• Like 3

So, just passing on some information I got today from the WP rep, regarding the new solo categories. Uncharted territory at this point but here's what they told me is how it is supposed to work.

If you book a solo OV for example, you can only upgrade to solo Balcony using points.  No solo balconies left, no upgrade.

She did verify however that if you upgrade early in the process, you are still eligible for price drop refund, at least until final payment due date. 

Gotta think about the strategy here.  The solo staterooms seem to be selling out fairly quickly in some cases. If I book solo now and upgrade and they sell out all the solo OV's, then no price drop - although I suppose if the price drops enough, I could move to a regular OV and upgrade from there.  This is getting complicated....

• Like 1

I just did our 1st WP upgrade and I’m thrilled.  The cruise is mid-May on the Jewel, Vancouver to Seward…with inside passage, full days in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway…plus Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  

We booked an OA on Deck 8 for $600 pp.  The NCL site is currently showing Balcony cabins as Guaranteed for $1799 pp. the WP rep we worked with was able to select a BA cabin on Deck 9.  So, the 30K points upgrade saved us around $2400.  Yay!  

And, now with the BoA Double Rewards Day on 11/9, I’ll be able to start rebuilding my points balance.

a special thank you to @MagnoliaBlossom @julig22 and @vince_g for your helpful insight.

• Like 3

Now for a much more confusing question 😂. If I use 10k points to upgrade within the meta then choose to pay cash to upgrade to a higher meta, would I pay the difference from what I already paid, or the difference from the value of the room when I upgraded using points? Hopefully this was clear enough 👌

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jpepin92 said:

Now for a much more confusing question 😂. If I use 10k points to upgrade within the meta then choose to pay cash to upgrade to a higher meta, would I pay the difference from what I already paid, or the difference from the value of the room when I upgraded using points? Hopefully this was clear enough 👌

I think the answer to what you are asking is that you will always pay the difference between what you paid and the cost of what you want.  So no value in using points to upgrade within the meta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jpepin92 said:

I know you’re fretting about being stuck on an inside with your family of four, but honestly, I think you will be successful in getting an Family OV or Family Balcony without bidding  a lot through the upgrade program.  There are still 75 Family Balcony, and about 16 Family OV.  And, they are about the same price.  Therefore anyone needing space for 4 is most likely to book a Family Balcony vs OV.  Also, many of those already in a Family OV will be bidding to move up to something better.  I don’t think a 14-day cruise that is 2 weeks before Christmas is going to be a sell out.  And, the Prima prices of $1049 for a Balcony on a 14 day cruise is really low suggesting lower occupancy.  Hope this info relieves a little stress.

• Thanks 1

Hello, I am very disappointed in this credit card. I signed up for it in May. I have a credit score of 800+, have always paid my bills, but they have only given me a credit limit of $1500. I can't even book a cruise for 2 for that amount! I have asked them to increase the limit. They denied it. I added my partner as an owner and added his income and then asked again and they still denied it. The first denial said it was because I am a new customer and i don't have a bank account with them. I have applied to many credit cards and haven't had such a small limit with any but a store cards. I have never had this issue since I was a college student with no credit history. I don't get it. Im ready to cancel it. 🫤

On 10/23/2023 at 3:56 PM, julig22 said:

So, just passing on some information I got today from the WP rep, regarding the new solo categories. Uncharted territory at this point but here's what they told me is how it is supposed to work.

If you book a solo OV for example, you can only upgrade to solo Balcony using points.  No solo balconies left, no upgrade.

She did verify however that if you upgrade early in the process, you are still eligible for price drop refund, at least until final payment due date. 

Gotta think about the strategy here.  The solo staterooms seem to be selling out fairly quickly in some cases. If I book solo now and upgrade and they sell out all the solo OV's, then no price drop - although I suppose if the price drops enough, I could move to a regular OV and upgrade from there.  This is getting complicated....

YIKES.  IMPORTANT UPDATE

I went the lazy route and tried to do the WP update online.  And it got rejected today. Guess if I'd called I would have found out earlier, possibly in time to unwind the changes I'd made to my reservation.

You CANNOT use points to upgrade the new solo categories.

"your reservation is booked in a pseudo category and does not qualify for an upgrade"

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, julig22 said:

YIKES.  IMPORTANT UPDATE

I went the lazy route and tried to do the WP update online.  And it got rejected today. Guess if I'd called I would have found out earlier, possibly in time to unwind the changes I'd made to my reservation.

You CANNOT use points to upgrade the new solo categories.

"your reservation is booked in a pseudo category and does not qualify for an upgrade"

Thank you for this update!  I'm sorry it did not work out for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Thank you for this update!  I'm sorry it did not work out for you.

Got it worked out - was able to go back to my original cabin category, then upgrade.  It wouldn't have been such an issue except that the only obstructed OV cabins available to book were handicapped. And from what I could see, only 2 BF cabins to choose from! Now there's only 1 LOL, cruise isn't until next June so who knows what's going on - the today price is $300 less than when I originally booked, wouldn't expect the price to drop if they are close to capacity.

• Like 2