NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

On 2/15/2024 at 10:46 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

Book IA or OA for best choice 

If you are before final payment when you do your upgrade, you can adjust your original cabin based on what cabin is available to upgrade.  I've booked the top OV, then upgraded to a lower level balcony and they downgraded my OV to match before doing the upgrade.  I got a small price reduction.  One time it was highly beneficial because prices only increased later, but the last time prices went down after final payment.  It's a game you play.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, laudergayle said:

That is a true.  When we upgraded from OA to BA, I saw a lot of cabins on NCL.com that the WP rep couldn’t see. 

I’ve always found it strange how that works.  And being NCL, it’s never consistent.  Normally, you would all and say I want cabin # 1234, knowing it’s available, and it was done, so long as it is not an accessible cabin.  But at times they tell you what they have available and you can only choose from those cabins, and they are in less than stellar locations.  Curious.  When that happened the last time I questioned the agent, she had attitude and said that was the way it was.  I called back, spoke to another agent who put me where I requested.  Who knows.  It doesn’t happen very often but it is aggravating when it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question that I haven't seen covered - for a cross-meta upgrade, is a studio concerned it's own meta, or is it non-upgradeable using points? I am on the Nov 7 Prima Transatlantic in a studio and the balconies are insanely priced. Wondering if I can do a double cross-meta upgrade for it? Just got the card and could manufacture enough points with excursions/paying for the cruise/etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jds2001 said:

Question that I haven't seen covered - for a cross-meta upgrade, is a studio concerned it's own meta, or is it non-upgradeable using points? I am on the Nov 7 Prima Transatlantic in a studio and the balconies are insanely priced. Wondering if I can do a double cross-meta upgrade for it? Just got the card and could manufacture enough points with excursions/paying for the cruise/etc.

Solo is excluded.  Book an inside and then double upgrade.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Solo is excluded.  Book an inside and then double upgrade.

Blergh. Inside is more than $1K more than I paid for a studio (and studio has gone up $300 from what I paid). Insanity. Is this the "new ship tax?" I wouldn't think that a TA would be this insanely priced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jds2001 said:

Blergh. Inside is more than $1K more than I paid for a studio (and studio has gone up $300 from what I paid). Insanity. Is this the "new ship tax?" I wouldn't think that a TA would be this insanely priced.

It seems to be the "new sailing full" price. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jds2001 said:

That's the pre penalty price.

Once you hit 90 days pricing will drop depending on inventory.

Those who are currently booked will be screwed if it empty.

I took the Encore 21 night repo and I was able to get into Haven for half of every one else because I waited till 6 weeks out.

Did Prima this past September and got into Haven at a third of every one else. I again booked 6 weeks prior.

Watch inventory.  Just before final, you might want to cancel if there is allot of inventory.

• Like 2

First time doing upgrades and I did 3.  I lacked 6,000 points having enough to do 3 inside to balcony, so I did 2 inside to balcony and 1 ov to balcony.  Afterwards, wondering if Inside to Balcony is worth it, or if it's more cost effective to go OV to Balcony and save the 30k points for the next cruise.  Anyway, thought it might help other first timers.

As a first timer here's how it went for me.  I called NCL and booked the 3 cruises so I could buy cruise first certs as I booked, as I had used all I purchased from my last cruise and my next one isn't till May and the cabins were looking sparse, so I didn't want to wait.  I asked for $500 certs, but only got 2 and the 3rd one at $250.🤔

I called the world points line and got a lady that was less than helpful, unfortunately.  But, I guess it all worked out as I knew what to say and ask from reading this board.  I had to upgrade two of the cruises in order to chose my balcony and I was worried since ncl.com showed only guarantees left for balconies, that didn't appear to actually be the case, perhaps because we are over a year out, but on cruise number 2, I seemingly got the last balcony available on the preferred Deck 9.  I ASKED how much I had to pay to chose my cabin, otherwise she would have not offered.  $80 for the first, nothing for the second and $60 for the last.  I thought that was pretty good.  So I got to pick my cabin on all 3 cruises.  Also, we didn't opt to book any of NCLs air.  We like to fly premium economy and it's just easier and cheaper to book with points.

I saved $4800 on the first cruise going IB to BB, 

I saved $4700 on the second cruise going from OB to BB,

I saved $4800 on the third cruise going from IF to BA

So an overall savings of $14,300

I'm quite impressed!

I was thinking of giving up on my NCL card, because we usually sail in suites, but for that savings, I think I can do without a butler and concierge!

I decided to cheat on NCL and booked the first leg of this 4 b2b on Princess.  We've never sailed Princess, but the price was unbeatable when compared to the same to/from itinerary on NCL.  We don't drink enough to pay for the package, so we skip it.  Princess has more add on's than NCL and they are more costly!  I booked an upgraded mini-suite on the Princess for what the inside was going to cost on NCL - same itenerary,1 day difference, so I'll have a hotel room for that one off night, booked with hotel points hopefully.  So the savings is closer to $18K when considering how much I saved on the first leg combined with the above savings.

Question#1 - I've purchased enough to bring my total points to 30,000 on my next BoA billing cycle.  Can I call and drop back down to an inside booking for my second cruise to save more money? Even if I had to cancel and rebook, it might be worth it - I'm not sure - my brain is fried from trying to keep 4 cruises straight and calculating inside/outside/balcony rates!  I think I'll stick it all in a spreadsheet and see (not sure why I didn't do that to begin with!)  I'm working hard to see how cheaply and how long I can sail before having to fly home.  😊

Question #2 - does anyone know if Princess does status matching or if it's even worth it to ask? We're only Platinum on NCL.

Thanks for the help from the board!

• Like 1

Yes, you can cancel and rebook, but make sure it’s cost effective to do that.

no, princes does not do status matching.

before you book a cabin on a cruise on which you plan to use WPs, call WP and ask what level you need to book to get you to the level balcony you want.  Usually if you book a mid level Inside yu get a mid level balcony, but not always.

Some of the smaller ships, such as the Dawn only have BA and BX balconies.  To get a BA you must book one of the top two interior categories to avoid a BX.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kismetique said:

...Afterwards, wondering if Inside to Balcony is worth it, or if it's more cost effective to go OV to Balcony and save the 30k points for the next cruise...

I've been curious what other's thoughts on this was as well.  At what point do all y'all draw the line on doing a double meta vs pay the extra up front for OV and doing a single meta to BA, saving an upgrade for the next cruise?

i.e.- I'm looking at a future cruise where the difference between Inside and OV is $590, and difference from OV to BA is $1417.

Simplifying Math: $10,000 in purchases direct with NCL = 30,000 points

= $300 OBC (or 3% Cash Back)

= $590 Inside to OV meta upgrade savings (or 5.9% Credit Back)

= $1417 OV to BA Meta Upgrade savings (or 14.17% Credit Back)

So at what percentage/savings do y'all draw the line?

• Like 1

I think it’s a personal choice depending on your financial situation.  Generally speaking if the difference between IA and OV is less than $300 I go with the OV.  But if I have scads of points then I just use them.   I have so many big CC expenses on a regular basis that saving points is not a big issue for me.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FFTB said:

I've been curious what other's thoughts on this was as well.  At what point do all y'all draw the line on doing a double meta vs pay the extra up front for OV and doing a single meta to BA, saving an upgrade for the next cruise?

i.e.- I'm looking at a future cruise where the difference between Inside and OV is $590, and difference from OV to BA is $1417.

Simplifying Math: $10,000 in purchases direct with NCL = 30,000 points

= $300 OBC (or 3% Cash Back)

= $590 Inside to OV meta upgrade savings (or 5.9% Credit Back)

= $1417 OV to BA Meta Upgrade savings (or 14.17% Credit Back)

So at what percentage/savings do y'all draw the line?

Not a matter of % for me, just total value. $300 vs the price difference for an upgrade. And rarely do I find a double meta to be a good value, I'll save my points for another cruise. But it also depends on how many points I have.  Sadly, sailing with NCL isn't as enticing as it once was, for a number of reasons, so I'm more apt to use my points rather than keeping them.

You omitted the actual double meta calculation in your example - inside to BA, which would be $590 + $1417, $600 cash back = 10.03%

In your example, I'd do the OV to balcony and save my points for another OV to balcony upgrade.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Sadly, sailing with NCL isn't as enticing as it once was, for a number of reasons, so I'm more apt to use my points rather than keeping them.

I would agree.  This is a 4 leg b2b for us.  The first leg I found a comparable Cruse on Princess.  I was able to book an upgraded mini suite on Princess for what the inside was going to cost me on NCL.  Making it very easy for me to cheat on NCL.

Now I'm looking at an a Asain cruise on Princess where again,  even the upgraded mini suite is the cost of the NCL inside.  I think NCL is pricing themselves out of my range and with their food quality taking a hit lately, moving to Princess is looking better and better.  I will miss my loyalty perks...I so wished Princess would loyalty match. 

We like to book the 2 bedroom suite with the connecting club balcony for the entire family and the newer NCL ships have phased that cabin set up out,  so I have to look for Cruises on their older ships.  2 upgraded mini suites on the Princess will work perfect for us. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to verify that if I purchase various items for my cruise off of the NCL website - i.e. Specialty Dining Packages, Photo Packages, Pre-paid Service Charges, etc. - these all count towards the $1000 to be spent within the first 90 days for the 25,000 points? 

IMG_6331.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just wanted to verify that if I purchase various items for my cruise off of the NCL website - i.e. Specialty Dining Packages, Photo Packages, Pre-paid Service Charges, etc. - these all count towards the $1000 to be spent within the first 90 days for the 25,000 points? 

IMG_6331.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg

Yes. And you get triple points.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

IMG_6331.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg

Yes, they count toward your $1000 goal, and you get triple points for them

• Like 2

19 hours ago, julig22 said:

Sadly, sailing with NCL isn't as enticing as it once was, for a number of reasons, so I'm more apt to use my points rather than keeping them.

We are inthe same boat.  We got a real deal on the Regal Princess in December and had a wooonderful cruise.  Reminded us of why we fell in love with cruising all those years ago.   We have booked her again, when NCL changed their plan to bring the Escape to Galveston.   Price and perks with plus program almost the same.  But, it’s hard to walk away from Diamond perks, s we will continue to sail NCL, but we certainly have a nice alternative.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We are inthe same boat.  We got a real deal on the Regal Princess in December and had a wooonderful cruise.  Reminded us of why we fell in love with cruising all those years ago.   We have booked her again, when NCL changed their plan to bring the Escape to Galveston.   Price and perks with plus program almost the same.  But, it’s hard to walk away from Diamond perks, s we will continue to sail NCL, but we certainly have a nice alternative.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Princess.  I was poking around yesterday on their site and discovered their Plus package and thought the same thing relative to NCL FAS.  I priced out a couple itineraries in a balcony with the Plus+ option and was pleasantly surprised at total cost.  And DSC were included.  We haven’t sailed Princess since 2004…so I was iffy on experience…so thanks for sharing you perspective.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Princess.  I was poking around yesterday on their site and discovered their Plus package and thought the same thing relative to NCL FAS.  I priced out a couple itineraries in a balcony with the Plus+ option and was pleasantly surprised at total cost.  And DSC were included.  We haven’t sailed Princess since 2004…so I was iffy on experience…so thanks for sharing you perspective.

Prior to the December cruise we’d not sailed PCL for 15 years.  Then we discovered theNCL MC and it won us over.  Especially since the old program under MBNA was superior in some ways to the new one,  although this program is much more flexible.   We’re doing the Regal in Jan of 25, come join us! 😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Prior to the December cruise we’d not sailed PCL for 15 years.  Then we discovered theNCL MC and it won us over.  Especially since the old program under MBNA was superior in some ways to the new one,  although this program is much more flexible.   We’re doing the Regal in Jan of 25, come join us! 😉

Tempting!!  The 5th or 12th?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Oops didn’t see the other answers before I posted. 😳

Got it in the mail today! It’s very cool that the BofA app tracks how much I still need to reach the $1000. Don’t think I’ll have any problem at all reaching that in a single NCL app purchase.  😉

IMG_6513.jpeg

• Like 1