NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Just now, Waterfreak2009 said:

I needed room for 3. Not sure if that makes it family? It doesnt really matter as long as we can get 3 in there. I got the offer for 25k bonus points after spending 1k. Then.. so far, have charged just over $1500 towards the cruise. If my calculations are correct that would put me just over 30k pts.

Yes your calculations get you there…congrats!  If your #3 is the little person in your photo, you would be good with a BA for sure.  You may want to do a mock booking for a OA cabin for 3 pp and see if it costs more/less and go from there.  Best!

10 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

So the site I referenced shows 20 open B4 cabins (out of ~50) and 100+ BA cabins (out of ~250).  Did you book a B4 because you need a family cabin?  If not, it may be less expensive for you to switch to an OA now and then upgrade to a BA.  Either way, I believe by the time your points post there will be cabins available for you.  I also assume that you have spent enough to close the point gap from 25K bonus to 30k.  BA cabins can sleep 3.

also if you decide to switch to OA now, either call your NCL consultant or the NCL customer service number.

I'm glad you asked me that.. after recalculateing it seems like I'm short about 500pts. I will pay more on the cruise now to cover that. Thanks so much for making me recalculate.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, laudergayle said:

What ship and dates are you looking at?  I have a website that shows more inventory than what you can see on NCL site (which shows 15 at a time).

Are you a travel agent? Curious if you can share the site that you can see current availability? Getting on the NCL Star on Feb 18th and was curious to see if any balconies are available. Hoping for a bid to come through 

1 hour ago, 7Contraveler said:

Are you a travel agent? Curious if you can share the site that you can see current availability? Getting on the NCL Star on Feb 18th and was curious to see if any balconies are available. Hoping for a bid to come through 

Not a TA.  When i look at my reference, it doesn’t even show your date as availability to book (it doesn’t book suite or Haven).  When I look at NCL site, there is no availability unless you want to book Suite @ $11K+.  Which suggests that this cruise availability is now under control of the company that does the bidding process.  Good luck…regardless of what cabin you get…get ready for an amazing cruise. Jealous…you have an amazing itinerary.

6 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Not a TA.  When i look at my reference, it doesn’t even show your date as availability to book (it doesn’t book suite or Haven).  When I look at NCL site, there is no availability unless you want to book Suite @ $11K+.  Which suggests that this cruise availability is now under control of the company that does the bidding process.  Good luck…regardless of what cabin you get…get ready for an amazing cruise. Jealous…you have an amazing itinerary.

Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:41 AM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

While on the Prima this week I saw that the $25,000 offer is back.  Y’all may have already known that, but for anyone on the fence now would be a good time to apply before it reverts to $20 K.

Why would you get a an NCL credit card when you can get a card from Chase or AMEX and get 3-4 times the sign-up bonus.  Even if the cash out is a poor value compared to using it at travel partners its better than $250.  I mentioned this from experience getting an NCL and Celebrity card last year and then realizing what a bad idea it was.

I've been reading and trying to figure these cross meta and meta upgrades out.  I've never done this type of upgrade.  We usually just book the suite we want and be done with it.

I'm planning a B2B2B2B cruise and I understand each segment needs to be upgraded on it's own, that's not a problem.  I have 176,000 points.  I have a couple of scenarios to ask about.

If I book an O4, can I use 30,000 points to upgrade to a B4, then use another 10,000 to go up 2 categories to the Aft Balcony?  If that would work I'd have enough points to do that on all 4 segments.

If that is not permissible, I'm sailing in May this year.  We're in the Garden Villa - does that pull any weight when booking 4 cruises on the ship? 

My problem is - even through these 4 cruises are over a year out - one of them shows to only have 1 aft balcony left.  Can I book the actual cabins I want in order to secure the aft balcony then re-book when I'm on the ship to get the 1 category upgrade to help me secure the aft balcony? Or is there absolutely no way to get into an aft with points, other than by fluke when they do allow it? 😊

If I have this strategy all wrong - can someone help me?  I like to map things all out on paper before I make the calls to make the reservations. Thanks for any help, suggestions, or ideas!

53 minutes ago, jbfg8r said:

Why would you get a an NCL credit card when you can get a card from Chase or AMEX and get 3-4 times the sign-up bonus.  Even if the cash out is a poor value compared to using it at travel partners its better than $250.  I mentioned this from experience getting an NCL and Celebrity card last year and then realizing what a bad idea it was.

Because I don't choose to pay for the privilege of having AMEX or Chase travel cards, especially since the majority of my travel is with NCL. The card is free, 3x points adds up, and with only $300 in statement credit needed for an upgrade worth $1-2K, it's a really good idea for me anyway. YMMV.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, kismetique said:

I've been reading and trying to figure these cross meta and meta upgrades out.  I've never done this type of upgrade.  We usually just book the suite we want and be done with it.

I'm planning a B2B2B2B cruise and I understand each segment needs to be upgraded on it's own, that's not a problem.  I have 176,000 points.  I have a couple of scenarios to ask about.

If I book an O4, can I use 30,000 points to upgrade to a B4, then use another 10,000 to go up 2 categories to the Aft Balcony?  If that would work I'd have enough points to do that on all 4 segments.

If that is not permissible, I'm sailing in May this year.  We're in the Garden Villa - does that pull any weight when booking 4 cruises on the ship? 

My problem is - even through these 4 cruises are over a year out - one of them shows to only have 1 aft balcony left.  Can I book the actual cabins I want in order to secure the aft balcony then re-book when I'm on the ship to get the 1 category upgrade to help me secure the aft balcony? Or is there absolutely no way to get into an aft with points, other than by fluke when they do allow it? 😊

If I have this strategy all wrong - can someone help me?  I like to map things all out on paper before I make the calls to make the reservations. Thanks for any help, suggestions, or ideas!

Aft is out of the question.

Max upgrade is to a BA. Aft is in it's own category above Balcony.

Yes each segment requires a separate upgrade.

Garden villa pulls no weight.

You Are no longer allowed to difference in cost upgrade either. (Point up to a BA and pay difference for aft) your cost basis is the O4 in you example.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jbfg8r said:

Your use of the points may be the reason it appears poor.

Only upgrades are valuable with this card. Everything else is lousy.

Also cruises of a week or less are also not a great value.

If you take a repo cruise (21 night), book an inside and double upgrade, your saving $1000+ per person for 60,000 points. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 4:02 PM, mrfeeto said:

…Then getting lied to repeatedly - saying it had to be NCL purchases in order get any sign up bonus, etc. 

Just signed up for the card and got approved. Was wondering if anyone could tell me does the initial $1000 spend specifically have to be in NCL purchases or can it be anything? I guess I would have no problems using it and paying off $1000 of the current invoice, or maybe buying an onboard dining package and paying for the tips in advance.

I did read back several pages but most of the conversations seem to be about upgrades, and I want to use it for the $250 OBC. 

24 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just signed up for the card and got approved. Was wondering if anyone could tell me does the initial $1000 spend specifically have to be in NCL purchases or can it be anything? I guess I would have no problems using it and paying off $1000 of the current invoice, or maybe buying an onboard dining package and paying for the tips in advance.

I did read back several pages but most of the conversations seem to be about upgrades, and I want to use it for the $250 OBC. 

It can be $1k in purchases of any kind.

• Thanks 1

Remember if you spend it on NCL you get triple points.  And if you take the OBC, yu leave money onthe table.  You will get no points for your onboard sending.  If you use your NCL card to pay your onboard bill, yu get triple points and once home you can get a statement credit to pay off the OB charges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Remember if you spend it on NCL you get triple points.  And if you take the OBC, yu leave money onthe table.  You will get no points for your onboard sending.  If you use your NCL card to pay your onboard bill, yu get triple points and once home you can get a statement credit to pay off the OB charges.

all very good points! Thank you very much!!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Aft is out of the question.

Max upgrade is to a BA. Aft is in it's own category above Balcony.

Knowing that the aft is out of the question,  is there any upside to waiting till on my Cruse in May to book these 4 cruises?

What is the lowest inside and lowest OV I can book and still get to pick my balcony cabin?

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kismetique said:

Knowing that the aft is out of the question,  is there any upside to waiting till on my Cruse in May to book these 4 cruises?

What is the lowest inside and lowest OV I can book and still get to pick my balcony cabin?

Thanks!

Book IA or OA for best choice 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2007 at 9:17 AM, cliffd64 said:

Here are a couple of tips regarding mailing your certificates to NCL:

1. Be sure to fill out the reverse side of the certificate completely.

Make certain that you put the correct reservation number on the form as well as the travel agency you used (if any).

2. Make xerox copies of the certificate (both sides) for your records.

In case the unthinkable happens and your certificate is mysteriously lost, having copies will help you prove that you did send one in.

3. Address your envelope carefully to the address listed on the certificate.

Make certain the address is correct and legible, and also include your return address. Also make certain to write "ATTN: ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT" on the lower left hand side of the envelope to ensure it gets processed by the correct department.

4. Mail your certificate well before the final payment date.

No use waiting to the last minute in case of problems. Order and mail your certificate as early as you would like to in order to give yourself time to fix any problems if they arise.

5. Include a copy of your reservation confirmation with your certificate.

This serves to help them match up the reservation with your payment.

6. (OPTIONAL - but recommended) Mail using some sort of delivery notification to be sure they got your certificate.

If you are worried the envelope might get lost in the mail, use either a priority mail envelope (with delivery confirmation) or registered mail to send it so that you have proof that it was delivered and they received it. In some cases I have sent mine in with a personal check for any remaining balance, so the receipt of the check at my bank was proof that they got the envelope, but in other cases its good to use registered or priority mail.

It takes up to two weeks from NCL's receipt of your certificate to be reflected on your balance, so do not be surprised if it doesn't show up immediately.

What are these certificates you are referring to?

Hi all, I just received my BOA NCL MC so I have 0 points. There is a 10 day cruise in 2025 I would like to use my points (once earned) to upgrade from OA to BA. Can I put a deposit down on the BA cabin I'm wanting so it's reserved and cancel once I build up enough points? Then book an OA and then upgrade to the room I just canceled? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust83 said:

Hi all, I just received my BOA NCL MC so I have 0 points. There is a 10 day cruise in 2025 I would like to use my points (once earned) to upgrade from OA to BA. Can I put a deposit down on the BA cabin I'm wanting so it's reserved and cancel once I build up enough points? Then book an OA and then upgrade to the room I just canceled? 

No guarantee they will give you the vacated cabin. And definitely don't want to cancel, as that would trigger a refund/new payment scenario which could affect your points. The folks at NCL can't assign you to an WP cabin, not sure how much maneuvering the WP people can do with your existing cabin - and I'm not sure what inventory they have to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderlust83 said:

No doesn't work that way.

You get the perks of the category you book then when you upgrade, you still only get the original category booked.

• Like 2