NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

12 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Got it worked out - was able to go back to my original cabin category, then upgrade.  It wouldn't have been such an issue except that the only obstructed OV cabins available to book were handicapped. And from what I could see, only 2 BF cabins to choose from! Now there's only 1 LOL, cruise isn't until next June so who knows what's going on - the today price is $300 less than when I originally booked, wouldn't expect the price to drop if they are close to capacity.

Glad it worked out for you.  Did you originally booked an obstructed OV with/without solo supplement.  And, if so, could you have upgraded to anything up to a BA if available?   I just did our first ever upgrade and booked an OA just to be safe, but more knowledge would be helpful.  TIA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Glad it worked out for you.  Did you originally booked an obstructed OV with/without solo supplement.  And, if so, could you have upgraded to anything up to a BA if available?   I just did our first ever upgrade and booked an OA just to be safe, but more knowledge would be helpful.  TIA.

I usually book the cheapest OV cabin because I'm not picky about my balcony location. So yes, I booked obstructed OV, booked before the new Solo categories came out, paying full double occupancy at the moment, about $300 more than the solo.

But if I'm onboard, I will also take advantage of the in-category upgrade, just in case I decide not to upgrade (depends on the itinerary) or can't for some reason. AFAIK, they base the upgrade on what you paid, pretty sure I've never been upgraded to anything other than BF, even with the onboard upgrade to OA. Don't know what would have happened if they hadn't had any BF cabins available, I'm guessing no upgrade available. But I'm perfectly happy with the deck 8 enclosed balcony - they actually come in handy on cold/windy days.  This cruise is to Norway and Iceland in June, so could be a little nippy.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I usually book the cheapest OV cabin because I'm not picky about my balcony location. So yes, I booked obstructed OV, booked before the new Solo categories came out, paying full double occupancy at the moment, about $300 more than the solo.

But if I'm onboard, I will also take advantage of the in-category upgrade, just in case I decide not to upgrade (depends on the itinerary) or can't for some reason. AFAIK, they base the upgrade on what you paid, pretty sure I've never been upgraded to anything other than BF, even with the onboard upgrade to OA. Don't know what would have happened if they hadn't had any BF cabins available, I'm guessing no upgrade available. But I'm perfectly happy with the deck 8 enclosed balcony - they actually come in handy on cold/windy days.  This cruise is to Norway and Iceland in June, so could be a little nippy.

Thank you.  I had to read your reply several times to grasp your info.  I know you cruise a lot, and typically solo, so I try to relate this as a double occupancy.  I appreciate your insight.  Thanks. And, your June cruise sounds amazing.  You are used to the Pacific NW…at least you have warm clothes..lol.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, julig22 said:

As I understand it 🤣, you get level to level upgrade lowest I/o to lowest O/b,  however, beware, lesson I learned recently- this is not true on all ships.   We booked a mid level inside to upgrade with 60k points to a balcony (Dawn),  when I called to upgrade our balconies (family cruise, three rooms) I learned that the Dawn has recently changed its categories of balconies,  BA and BX, just two categories 😳In order to choose our cabins we needed to book the top two Inside levels to reach BA level so we could choose cabins and be together.  So I had to amend our cabins at $300/person to a level where I could get us to BA level.  Wow, what an unexpected surprise.  So, before booking a cabin, especially on a smaller ship, call WP and find out what level you need to book in order to be able to choose a room (unless you are okay with a guarantee cabin.).  Live and learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shadygap said:

I assume we will be able to use the cabin upgrades the same way with new solo categories. 30K for single upgrade - solo inside to solo OV or solo OV to solo balcony. And 60K for double meta upgrades- solo inside to solo balcony. 

Nope. Read my post, 5923.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert_ Dweller said:

IF  I was to use points for OBC and did not use all of the OBC, what happens to those $$s

AFAIK, it's refundable OBC which means you get cash back at the end of the cruise.  And if you have a positive balance on your account, you will probably be detained as you try to disembark, so make sure you take care of your account the night before.  They cannot simply put it back on the credit card used for your onboard account.

• Like 2

Paid off our June family cruise by using two different NCL cards.  Woohoo!  Additionally we got our property tax bill yesterday and DH used his NCL card to pay it.

Our family motto is “free is good”. So this should be a national holiday for us 🤑

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

On the Bliss right now…went to pay for our May cruise and Card DENIED.  First, internet on Bliss is not very good.  Second, the ship IP address must be registered in Europe since I can only get NCL.com/UK version.  BOA evidently thought the charge was fraud and denied.  Fortunately I was able to iMessage my son in the states and sent him my login and card info.  Success.  Crisis adverted!  That 5000 point bonus will get us halfway to our next upgrade.  Lovin’ it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

It’s probably too recent to have any reports yet.

are you looking to do that?  If so, call WP and see what they say.  Then, let us know, please.

Funny, WP said no problem when I asked, so I tried, no go. See post 5923.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question I’ve seen answered but I am still unclear … regarding using the points for upgrading to more premium cabins.

Is it possible to use points to upgrade to a certain level, for example if I upgraded with points to a basic balcony. Am I able to pay to get say… an aft balcony B1. I think I’m read you cannot but I just don’t understand.  

if that is the case then it would mean anyone who wants something such an aft balcony or better cannot benefit from the upgrades with the credit card. 

What am I missing?  Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Jason fly, The highest level cabin you can upgrade to is a BA.

EllieinNJ,  no, when your points expire, they’re dead and buried.

Just clarifying... if i used points to upgrade to BA... are you saying I am unable to upgrade beyond that if I call and pay the difference between the BA and the desired (higher) room?

23 minutes ago, jasonfly said:

Just clarifying... if i used points to upgrade to BA... are you saying I am unable to upgrade beyond that if I call and pay the difference between the BA and the desired (higher) room?

Correct.  You would pay the difference between what you paid and the cost of the desired room.  Best you could get out of the deal is to ask for your points back and get the $300 statement credit.

41 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Correct.  You would pay the difference between what you paid and the cost of the desired room.  Best you could get out of the deal is to ask for your points back and get the $300 statement credit.

That is a bummer.  Any reason or opinion on why NCL won't let a person call and upgrade beyond the points upgrade to a BA and only have to cover the difference between the BA and higher room?

If what you are saying correct, the benefits of having the NCL credit card is limited to 3x points on NCL purchases (non-bofa preferred status).  And if that is the case, it would be equal or better to use another rewards credit card opposed to a point-per-penny credit towards a future cruise.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but really trying to see if the credit card makes much sense for those interested in higher than a BA.

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, jasonfly said:

That is a bummer.  Any reason or opinion on why NCL won't let a person call and upgrade beyond the points upgrade to a BA and only have to cover the difference between the BA and higher room?

If what you are saying correct, the benefits of having the NCL credit card is limited to 3x points on NCL purchases (non-bofa preferred status).  And if that is the case, it would be equal or better to use another rewards credit card opposed to a point-per-penny credit towards a future cruise.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but really trying to see if the credit card makes much sense for those interested in higher than a BA.

Thanks again!

IMHO, the card is only has added value if you cruise NCL, balcony or lower. Other cards give equal or better value for travel in general.  However as a solo cruiser that has no need for anything above a balcony, it's an exceptionally good value because I'm often paying double for the OV cabin I'm booking.

I understand why they wouldn't allow upgrades beyond balcony - that limits the value of the benefit. Why they don't allow a paid upgrade is anybody's guess, probably because it starts to get somewhat complicated.

27 minutes ago, jasonfly said:

Thanks again!

You can bid on upgrades though.  I recently booked an interior. Did a double-meta upgrade on a 12-night cruise to a balcony and saved a lot of money. A lot more than if I had cashed it in for OBC or a discount on a cruise.  I was recently given the opportunity to bid on suites. I don't know if my price ranges were different since my original cruise price was so much lower than those you had balconies that they paid for.  My cruise isn't until Feb, so I don't know whether or not I will win a bid.  I'm guessing not since I made the minimum bid.