NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I heard back from NCL today.....two days after I mailed certificates from LA to Miami. Wow! They have already received my certificates and applied them to move me from a KK to a JJ category. Now, I sent in 3 upgrade certificates, but only was upgraded two categories (KK to J; J to JJ). Not sure if I am even going to bother calling to see why I didnt go up one more; I look on it all as a gift horse anyway, and I don't want to be looking to close into its mouth!

You got a "gift"! :D You are supposed to need one Compass Reward upgrade certificate PER PERSON, so for the upgrade you received, you should have sent FOUR certificates, not three.

I sent two $500 certificates to NCL on 6/18 - they were received on 6/22 - and the funds applied by 6/26. That's pretty darn good service. Plus, I used them with the future cruise credit that I'd purchased on a previous cruise. There is absolutely no reason why they can't be combined.

Just got a survey basically asking why I was unisng another card rather than the Worldpoints card that the NCL was changed to.

I remember someone saying something about a similar survey a few months ago. Could you tell if this survey came from the bank or from NCL? Did it sound like they might change the program?

Has anyone asked about $100 slots/etc @ 50% for 5,000? Since that is also the amount for a $50 OBC I am thinking that you need to pay $50 to get $100 in gambling money. Why? :eek: I'm letting my NCL expenses and "Add it Up" purchases go to my NCL card for now.

Regarding use of $500 Compass Rewards, FCC and the seemingless $100 upgrade certificates:

DH & I used our $250 future cruise reward credit to book our 9/26/09 Star cruise many months ago. I mailed a $500 Compass rewards certificate in at the end of May towards the cruise and it was applied to our account.

Last week I mailed 4 $100 upgrade certificates in (2 from DH's card and 2 from mine) and I received acknowlegement from NCL about an hour ago that we have been upgraded (from deck 4 to deck 8) and will receive an additional $100 OBC for the cruise.

Dianne

Regarding use of $500 Compass Rewards, FCC and the seemingless $100 upgrade certificates:

DH & I used our $250 future cruise reward credit to book our 9/26/09 Star cruise many months ago. I mailed a $500 Compass rewards certificate in at the end of May towards the cruise and it was applied to our account.

Last week I mailed 4 $100 upgrade certificates in (2 from DH's card and 2 from mine) and I received acknowlegement from NCL about an hour ago that we have been upgraded (from deck 4 to deck 8) and will receive an additional $100 OBC for the cruise.

Dianne

Dianne,

Thanks for that info. I think I'll mail my $100 upgrade certificates in and see what happens. Worth a shot for the OBC! Glad you got the upgrade too!:D

Jackie

So I booked a cruise and sent in my only 500 certificate that I earned before NCL cancelled the program, along with 3 1-category updgrade certificates.

I had already booked through an agent and asked to use my 250 pre-cruise deposit tied to my Past Passenger # that I bought last year onboard the Pearl. No problems there and the 250 was applied to my cruises as deposit.

Now I send in the certificates and my agent tells me the NCL supervisor says that I CANNOT combine the offers (250 pre-cruise deposit + 500 voucher). Absolutely not true. I read the information after I bought the 250 deposit on my previous cruise, and the 500 certificates and it indicates it CAN be combined with other offers.

I can't believe my luck. Many on this board have received the 500 vouchers and gotten upgraded or added OBC with some of the 100 point vouchers!

Me, they haven't even said they'll do anything with the 4 100 vouchers and are denying my past cruise deposit in combination with my 500 voucher.

NCL Stinks. My agent has 20 yrs experience and knows better that they are combinable and was completely frustrated when a Supervisor argued with her saying she didn't know what she was talking about. My agent was steamed! She is still going to try and pursue this get my 250 deposit + 500 voucher. I doubt they'll do anything past that with the 100 vouchers!!!

I can't believe I have to fight for something that is owed to me

Does anyone have a contact at NCL Compass Rewards or some other department that I might be able convince them to apply my credits?

Very, very Frustrated:confused::confused:

Did you email ksheehan@ncl.com ?

Dianne,

Thanks for that info. I think I'll mail my $100 upgrade certificates in and see what happens. Worth a shot for the OBC! Glad you got the upgrade too!:D

Jackie

Well, we had actually booked an inside guarantee and were assigned an inside cabin on Deck 4. So the only way they could go with those certificates was up!:D

What the $100 certificates actually go us was moved from deck 4, mid-aft - to deck 8 forward. We're happy with that.

I have another $500 Compass Rewards certificate to send in for our November Spirit cruise and 3 $100 upgrade certificates to send in for that cruise. Will let you guys all know later if our luck holds out. We're booked in a higher category for that cruise, although it is still an inside cabin.

Dianne

Has anyone tried to get an award on the new card yet?

For the OBC, do you have to book with any particular travel agent, or can you get OBC applied to cruises that you are currently booked on (through NCL or some other travel agent)?

Also, has anyone tried the slot or table game credit. On the table games, it sounds like the $100 is a single $100 bet!

Thanks!!

I just got an offer in the mail for the NCL card and I am trying to decide if I should get it. I do plan to book another NCL cruise soon. From the last few pages of posts I get the impression the card has changed recently (hard to read through over 2600 posts). Do you get the $100 and $500 certificates from purchases? How much do you have to charge for these? I can get 5000 bonus points after my first purchase (like booking the cruise) and that is already worth $50 OBC so better than nothing.

Do you recommend the card? Pros and cons, please?

I used 5000 pts for the slot perk. I called the 800 number listed on the rewards website and they arranged it while they had me on the phone.

The Worldpoints sure accumulate a lot more slowly. We have switched over from four NCL cards (since there was a monthly/annual limit) to one CapitalOne Pro Rewards card. They're paying 2% on all purchases.

Has anyone tried to get an award on the new card yet?

For the OBC, do you have to book with any particular travel agent, or can you get OBC applied to cruises that you are currently booked on (through NCL or some other travel agent)?

Also, has anyone tried the slot or table game credit. On the table games, it sounds like the $100 is a single $100 bet!

Thanks!!

You just call the regular NCL number and tell them. There is no more mailing of certificates they take the points right then and put the OBC on your reservation.

I just got an offer in the mail for the NCL card and I am trying to decide if I should get it. I do plan to book another NCL cruise soon. From the last few pages of posts I get the impression the card has changed recently (hard to read through over 2600 posts). Do you get the $100 and $500 certificates from purchases? How much do you have to charge for these? I can get 5000 bonus points after my first purchase (like booking the cruise) and that is already worth $50 OBC so better than nothing.

Do you recommend the card? Pros and cons, please?

IMHO I would not get the NCL or any other "affinity" card, which earns point for a specific cruise line, airlines, hotel, etc. Since credit card companies are getting stingy with their rewards, and companies are going out of business, I be live that your best bet is a cash back or general rewards card. I like the Capital One No Hassle Miles for Ultra Professionals (you can use the points for anything travel or otherwise, including cash back, and you earn more than with most other cards for your money. :D)

Does anyone here know how travel insurance works when you book a cruise with Compass Rewards? How much do I tell them I spent on the cruise? I'm not concerned about reimbursement for the cost for the cruise since I know I'll be going, but I want to be sure we're properly covered for medical care, evacuation, and probably most likely to bee needed: car rental insurance.

I believe you would use the cost of the cruise (minus taxes and fees).

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=TravelProtectionRatesReview

Does anyone here know how travel insurance works when you book a cruise with Compass Rewards? How much do I tell them I spent on the cruise? I'm not concerned about reimbursement for the cost for the cruise since I know I'll be going, but I want to be sure we're properly covered for medical care, evacuation, and probably most likely to bee needed: car rental insurance.

An NCL representative once told me that passengers need to use NCL insurance if they want to protect the value of the Compass Rewards points. At the same time, anything not booked through NCL would not be cover, including airline tickets.

In the last few years, NCL greatly increased their charge for airline tickets. Three years ago, I paid around $300 for tickets and and transfers from a Michigan airport to New York's LaGuardia. It must have been a special deal, since a similar flight and transfers from NCL was going for around $900 earlier this year.

If I have enough points for 2 $500 credits(this would be 100,000 points) can I use these 2 $500 credits on the same cruise. In other words, the largest $ amount off the cruise that I have seen is $5oo. If I have enough credits for qty 2 of the $500 off can they be combined on one cruise.

Are you talking World Points from the new card http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=WorldPoints

or Compass Rewards from the old program? Either way, you should be able to use $1,000 worth of credit on one cruise, but I would check with NCL directly about the new progam, since the chart is unlclear. :D

If I have enough points for 2 $500 credits(this would be 100,000 points) can I use these 2 $500 credits on the same cruise. In other words, the largest $ amount off the cruise that I have seen is $5oo. If I have enough credits for qty 2 of the $500 off can they be combined on one cruise.
Edited by c breeze

You know, it is rather "curious" that they have options for discount and onboard credit at the $100 level and $500 level, but not at the $1,000 level. :( It appears they don't want us cruising for free anymore, unless you sail on one the their selected cruises. I would still ask...

$100 on-board credit 10,000

$100 off any cruise 10,000

$200 off any cruise 20,000

$250 on-board credit 25,000

$500 off any cruise 50,000

$500 on-board credit 50,000

$1000 on-board credit 100,000

I am talking about the World points. I only see up to $500 off. So I wanted to see if I saved more and had 2 $500 off, if I could use them both on one cruise.

Question? I have a $500 certificate and 4 $100 certificates. When we got the certificates because the old rewards program was being changed to the new program.

There is a statement on the back of the $100 certificate that says that the certificate could be for an onboard or upgrade, but for only what was on the front. The front had four upgrades.

I was already booked on a cruise for January 2010 on a BA category balcony. I asked them, what do I do with the upgrade credits as BA was tops in their category. They said that I could book a lower category balcony and then move up, but I might lose the room.

I did not want to lose the room and asked if the certificates could be changed to OBCs.

They said, after, checking with other staff (Managers I assume) that I would have to call Bank of America. Bank of America said that only NCL could do it.

My wife and I will take a cruise a year and have always used NCL excepting one cruise that we did with others who chose not to go NCL. I am not sure that I want to go with NCL again as they will not put anything down in writing, call Bank of America to get an answer. This is not customer service for someone who makes NCL the Cruise Line of choice.

You know, it is rather "curious" that they have options for discount and onboard credit at the $100 level and $500 level, but not at the $1,000 level. :( It appears they don't want us cruising for free anymore, unless you sail on one the their selected cruises. I would still ask...

$100 on-board credit 10,000

$100 off any cruise 10,000

$200 off any cruise 20,000

$250 on-board credit 25,000

$500 off any cruise 50,000

$500 on-board credit 50,000

$1000 on-board credit 100,000

Yes, I mean I just want to know. I am still somewhat upset and I guess that is why my next two cruises are with Carnival(I can drive to those ports)

I am still usint the "CARD" for most charges though...