How can we decline an upgrade?

orchid72

First time poster so please bear with me.

My husband and I are booked on the Diamond Princess NB to Alaska in September. We booked a category M because I am VERY prone to seasickness. Been on 2 other cruises to Alaska, and both times I was very sick (inspite of Bonine, dramamine, gravol, sea band). I am trying this one more time but with a scopolamine patch (hoping third time would be lucky) . But I digress...

My question is this: Could we decline the upgrade we've been given? I purposely booked a category M (however, not a GTY) so that we could be at the very bottom of the ship. Unfortunately, we've been assigned stateroom A202; that is higher than I would have wanted. Hubby called the TA and asked if we could be moved to a lower deck mid-ship but was informed that the sailing is full so the likelihood of being moved is slim to none.

My husband thinks we should talk to Princess directly, but I doubt that will work. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

I agree with your husband, talk to Princess. If A202 is an upgrade, just tell them you would prefer to decline it and keep the cabin you were originally assigned. I am assuming that you picked a particular cabin when you booked.

Couple of things:

1. Your TA should have made your booking 'no upgrade' since you wanted this particular cabin. If you made that clear to them at the time you booked, that you needed THIS cabin, they should work hard to correct this error.

2. Tell your TA that you want something lower. You will switch with anybody who has an inside guarantee Cat. JJ, J, K, L or M. Just because the ship is fully booked is meaningless. There is SOMEONE in one of those other insides in a lower deck with a GTY booking. The TA needs to call Princess and say " I goofed, please make my client happy by putting them lower and upgrade one of your other inside bookings, and make them happy too." You may not get your old cabin back, but you can probably get something on the Plaza or Emerald deck. The highest you should have to go is the Caribe deck--loads of cabins there lower than a Cat I.

3. Your original booking was rather far forward--you should just ask for the lower deck and not worry if your cabin is forward, aft or midships. Next time, if you want midships, book midships.

4. You cannot call Princess yourselves to accomplish this, you must go through your TA. Princess will not discuss your booking with you if you have a TA.

First time poster so please bear with me.

My husband and I are booked on the Diamond Princess NB to Alaska in September. We booked a category M because I am VERY prone to seasickness. Been on 2 other cruises to Alaska, and both times I was very sick (inspite of Bonine, dramamine, gravol, sea band). I am trying this one more time but with a scopolamine patch (hoping third time would be lucky) . But I digress...

My question is this: Could we decline the upgrade we've been given? I purposely booked a category M (however, not a GTY) so that we could be at the very bottom of the ship. Unfortunately, we've been assigned stateroom A202; that is higher than I would have wanted. Hubby called the TA and asked if we could be moved to a lower deck mid-ship but was informed that the sailing is full so the likelihood of being moved is slim to none.

My husband thinks we should talk to Princess directly, but I doubt that will work. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

I just went thorugh a faux booking for your cruise. There are no M category cabins open, so your cabin is already gone.

For any change you will have to go thru your TA. Ask him/her to have Princess put you on the wait list for M category. That's about the only option you have now. It can't hurt to ask:p .

Your TA should have informed you of the possibility of being upgraded if your booking is not marked "No Upgrades".

Even if that isn't done, Princess usually contacts the TA about an upgrade and gives a one or two day period for you to decline the offer.

Apparently, your TA isn't communicating with you.

Good luck with getting your room back...

About getting sick do you take Phenergan with you? Yes, it will make you sleepy but sure can be a life saver if you get the throw ups going...would help you sleep better at night and calm your stomach also...I never leave home without it.

good luck...I wore the patch last trip. It was our first cruise and I took them just in case...the moment the ship started moving I was unsure so I put on one. They say to not cut them but a friend of mine is a pharmacyst (spell?) and she cuts her's so I did the same and felt that it worked good. Never got sick to my stomach, just had a funny feeling. I did however, have major sea legs and head when I got home. Not sure if it was the patch and meclezine or just me.

GOOD LUCK!

Midships is the best location for those who are iffy about rough seas. We booked an inside midships for our last cruise as we knew the Hawaiian crossings mean rough seas and I took ginger (both the Altoids and candied ginger) when I was getting woozy. When we booked, we made sure ours was marked "no upgrade."

Just wanted to give you an update since you have all been so helpful. We talked to our TA last week and asked her to talk to Princess to have us moved mid-ship. She did not call us back for days and finally my husband called to follow-up. She said Princess would not budge and we would just have to live with the upgrade. She said that we could try phoning Princess ourselves and to let her know how it goes because, and I quote, “things might have changed since I last called.” So if she called, why did she not call us back?!!?? And why would she not call for us again today??:confused:

Anyway, so my husband called Princess, told them about my problem with seasickness, and within 5 minutes, we were moved to a lower deck mid-ship. He said the person he talked to was really understanding and empathetic. Such great service! This is why we went back to Princess after trying Celebrity.:)

Now it really makes me wonder if the TA even bothered calling. When I booked with this TA, the price she gave us was not that much cheaper than the price on princess.com – $50 savings, perhaps? – but I booked with her anyway because I was under the impression that your TA will really work YOU. But not this one..... Guess who I will NOT be booking with next time! :mad:

orchid72. . .Congratulations on working this out. Princess does come through occasionally. Please let your TA know exactly why you won't be booking with her again. Otherwise she will just continue to be lazy at the expense of her clients.

Archived