Transaltantic

cruiser02

We will be on the Rotterdam leaving Harwich Sept 14th for NYC I am starting to think about packing. Any tips? What weather should I anticipate? We will be visiting several ports to include Ireland.

With all the weight restrictions on luggage now ... packing has become an art form.

Any one out there cruising with us?

I'm not cruising with you.....I just wish I were! Tell me which Irish ports you will visit. I was in Killybegs, way up in County Donegal, in June and the whole town was getting spiffed up for the visit of three cruises this summer and fall. Is your cruise one of them? Killybegs is a wonderful and beautiful town with a breathtaking harbor. It is home of Ireland's largest fishing fleet.

Please don't forget rain gear as ireland and Scotland can be drizzly and/or blustery; that's why they're sooo green. If you go to Belfast see the Giant's Causeway. If you go to Cork (Cobb) go to Charles Fort and Kinsale, or Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone.

Weather will probably be cool 50's or cooler, so dress to layer. If you stop in Greenland it will be cold, bring hooded sweatshirts or warmer clothing , and expect fog. Reykjavik Iceland will be mild and can be rainy too. Akureyri is cool but can be foggy as can be Reykjavik.

Don't be surprised if the ship's foghorn goes off every 3-4 minutes as fog is almost certain in some areas of the north Atlantic. It's rather soothing though, we kind of like it.

You may have some rough seas in September, so if you're prone to mal-de-mer, bring something, patches, bonine, or sea bands, as a precaution. The Yum-Yum man has ginger, it works! Patches need 4 hours to take effect.

Layering clothing is the best bet for transatlantic. Some people only brought short sleeves and froze, especially at life boat drills, and there are 2 on a 17-day cruise.

Most cabins on the Rotterdam have only 1 electrical outlet; it's at the desk, so bring a converter and/or extension cord.

Hope this helps,

GN

I did the crossing at about that time last year, and a bit earlier in '01. This year was so early it might just be comparable!

If you want to list out your ports---to give me an idea just how far north you're going---I might be able to give some ideas. If you're hitting Greenland it will be different than a straight shot from Cobh, for instance.

Since nobody has replied to your roll call I guess we are the only ones going.

We will be packing light,but do plan on bringing rain gear.

A couple of years ago we did this through Scotland,Iceland,& Greenland.

Had a bit of rain,but was not cold. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip.

Look forward to seeing you on board.

We will be visiting Cobh, Dublin and Belfast before heading over to Newfoundland. No stops in Greenland. Thanks for the info on the Rotterdam. Checking HAL seb site it looks like the ship is sold out except for the large suites.

Since you're not hitting Greenland you won't need to prepare for quite as much cold. Layering is still the order of the day here.

You should be prepared for some warm weather; it does happen! On my '01 west-bound I spent most days in a sun-dress; carried my windbreaker, but stopped when I realized I wasn't using it.

One or two t-shirts, no shorts, a flat-knit sweater, heavy sweater/sweatshirt, windbreaker---these can all be layered as needed. The raincoat idea is also a good one.

Gloves are a good idea and don't take up much room. Northern Newfoundland (Corner Brook, St. Anthony) can get real cold; if you want to do water-type shore excursions you won't be sorry to be able to bundle up. St. Johns is further south: I've been too-warm there in Sept. and too cold in June; August was just right.

I find the trans-Atlantics very relaxing. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Last month we sailed the Rotterdam from NYC to Copenhagen and I can only hope you have as good weather and smooth seas as we did. The most I ever needed was a light wind breaker. And we never had rain.

Before getting off the ship while in the ports, DW and I went up on the Lido Deck and checked out the weather. On three such visits, I decided to wear an undershirt but I had to go into a restroom twice and remove it before returning to the ship.

The seas were like a lake. I only saw white caps once.

But since you may not be as fortunate as we were in July, I would suggest you take the comments to heart that the others have made. In any case, I am sure you will enjoy the cruise.

I have sailed her now 77 days in three cruises---you could conclude I'm happy with her.

Food, of course, is very subjective. Suffice it to say I never went hungry---and I'm a very picky eater. Some nights it was hard to choose because nothing jumped out at me, other nights because several things did! A couple of nights I chose from the children's menu. But I never missed a meal.

Breakfast is breakfast. I DO love that you can get eggs/omeletes cooked to order in the Lido. Room service is great when you have an early shore excursion---or disembarkation day.

I truly enjoy lunch in the Lido, too. I especially like that you can get soup, sandwiches and other choices until 5:00.

Service was spectacular for the most part. My room steward was fine---did his job quietly, but always noticed when I left/returned. He anticipated the need for more shampoo, lotion, and soap and replaced them before I asked. He also went out of his way to store and retrieve my luggage.

My table steward (Harry) is the best in the business. He remembered me from last year and greeted me warmly. I tend to want a meat from one choice, potato from another, vegetable from a third, and a few other little individual differences that could make it difficult. With Harry it was always "no problem". When the kitchen didn't present it as I asked Harry noticed before he served it, and ran to the kitchen to make it right.

There were a couple of lounge stewards (Richel and Myra) who were also spectacular. Richel remembered me from last year, always brought specific little munchies without asking---even left a couple of private parties she was assigned to just so she could check that "her passengers" were getting what they wanted from her replacement! (I hadn't always until she came.)

Entertainment was supurb in the Explorers Lounge where the Rosario Strings played. Early in the cruise I asked for a particular song; from that point forward they played it whenever they saw me. Even at every formal dinner!

I also enjoyed the entertainment in the show lounge very much. The production shows were very, very good, as were most of the individual entertainers.

Unfortunately, those are the only glowing comments I can make on the entertainment.

Internet: You may be aware that I used the Internet cafe a great deal. I signed up for the $100 for 250 minutes plan (three times!). There is also a $55 for 100 minutes and a $0.75/minute choice. There are many areas to use a laptop, but I don't have much info on that.

I also need to say that the Internet Manager, John Carlo, went over and above when it came to giving help. He worked patiently with people who had very basic problems, stepped in to give excellent suggestions, and was very accommodating giving back time when there was a foul-up. He also gave a few lectures which were great. He'll be on until some time in October.

The ship herself is a beautiful, traditional ocean liner with flowers everywhere. The public areas flow nicely, and the private areas are comfortable.

Is there anything else I can answer?

Thank you for all your infomation. After 77 days I would call you a very reliable source. We did the Baltic on the Maasdam several years ago and loved it. Booked a veranda cabin. Have doc in hand but no cabin assignment. We are flying on our own - visiting London for several dates prior - then spending time in NYC after.

Time to get the "Packing Room" started. Is this a woman thing or do men do it too?

I'm interested in all these replies as there isn't much on the boards about longer cruises. We're taking a 112-day cruise in January so it will take some planning to manage the packing efficiently. I know I can't do without my laptop that long, so it's going along. Enjoy your cruise!

Slinkie

I'm interested in all these replies as there isn't much on the boards about longer cruises. We're taking a 112-day cruise in January so it will take some planning to manage the packing efficiently. I know I can't do without my laptop that long, so it's going along. Enjoy your cruise!

Slinkie

Just guessing, but I'm betting it takes little more planning (at least as far as packing goes) to take a 112-day cruise as it does a 33+day cruise.

I've taken at least 8 cruises in the 16-34 day range, with another planned. Packing was essentially the same in all of them.

You just wear the same clothes over and over and ...until you never want to see them again.

Actually, it's the little things that take the planning---pantyhose, toiletries, make-up, meds. That kind of thing.

Enjoy that 112-day cruise. You have something wonderful to look forward to.

If there's anything I can help answer please post the queston.

We've spent 61+ days on the Rotterdam and I agree with everything Ruth says, and it's unusual for me to give a blanket endorsement, but I do this time.

Especially about Richel and Myra.

My husband says he's "Rotted-out" but I know we'll sail her again, We do love her (and Ruth).

BTW Ruthie, please send me your new email at home. I miss talking to you directly.

GN

Just guessing, but I'm betting it takes little more planning (at least as far as packing goes) to take a 112-day cruise as it does a 33+day cruise.

I've taken at least 8 cruises in the 16-34 day range, with another planned. Packing was essentially the same in all of them.

You just wear the same clothes over and over and ...until you never want to see them again.

Actually, it's the little things that take the planning---pantyhose, toiletries, make-up, meds. That kind of thing.

Enjoy that 112-day cruise. You have something wonderful to look forward to.

If there's anything I can help answer please post the queston.

Thank you for the hints. I have plenty of time ahead to plan this, but I'm sure some new duds are in order. It's always nice to buy a couple of outfits in a foreign port, too. Looking forward to that.

slinkie

Archived