Should Celebrity Change Their Dining Options ?

Andy

Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?  

543 members have voted

1. 1. Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?

• Get Rid of Traditional Dining, and have Anytime Dining at all times.
    • Split the Dining Room into 2 choices, Anytime Dining and Traditional Dining
    • Have 4 Dining Times instead of 2, while maintaining Traditional Dining
    • Do Nothing - Keep Traditional Dining as it is !

I really love Celebrity's traditional dining and hope they don't change, although offering 4 seating times instead of two would be great, as something around 7pm would suit me best. I like getting to know the wait staff and my tablemates, and set seating times takes the stress out of deciding where and when to eat. We'll be on the Quest next February, and I'm looking forward to seeing how open seating works but I know I'll miss the formal nights.

I enjoy the formality of Celebrity, but I'm afraid that formal and informal nights will soon be a thing of the past, just because most people I know (40's and under) will not cruise chiefly because they have no desire to dress up while on vacation. I love the dressing up and my opportunities for it at home are rare; even office wear has become extremely casual around here. I think society in general has become more casual, and younger people value comfort over dressing for occasions. In my office, I don't think I've ever seen any of the women under 30 wear a skirt, except maybe at the Christmas party.

What really surprises me is that lines like Carnival and RCCL have not yet moved to a less traditional type of dining, seeing as their images seem to promote a more fun, carefree holiday. I would expect that a big bone of contention among some families travelling with children and teens is that the younger ones resent having to change their clothing for dinner.

I think we'd better enjoy Celebrity the way it is while we can, because at some point, I'm guessing no cruise line will offer traditional dining anymore.

This constant coming and going tends to be noisy and the X ships do not really lend to this sort of procedure. Their dining rooms can be very noisy even without. I bet the kitchens/ gallies are not set up to provide the same sort of qualitiy spead over a longer period of time either.

I liked what Celebrity did during our Baltic Cruise on Constellation last year. We had traditional seating every night with the exception of the nights we stayed in a port overnight, or didn't leave until 9:00 PM. On those nights they had open seating for dinner.

This wasn't an option on the poll, but this is what I would vote for had it been. When the ship leaves ports early, I'm all for being in the traditional dining early seating. However, when we are leaving a port at 10pm (not arriving until 1pm at the port), I want to spend as much time in port as possible but not get stuck with burgers or pizza (I've only been on Galaxy, with Mercury coming up - no specialty restaurant). Id' much rather have open seating on late port evenings instead of a buffet (like they are doing on Mercury in Alaska this year).

Don't do it! I think Anytime dining on Princess prevents their dining room being capable of achieving higher standards. It's also the source of more complaints when larger groups are involved. I know a lot of people like it, but what you give up to have it is not an even trade-off. I'm a bit disturbed to hear that HAL, X, RC, and maybe others are testing and considering the idea. The ONLY way Anytime dining would work is if the galleys could be redesigned to permit true a-la-minute cooking. I don't think that's possible on ships with 2,000 or more passengers on board.

I find it so distressing that everyone these days wants to 'keep up with the Joneses' (just that quote probably dates me, but I am under retirement age). One of the best parts of cruising with Celebrity is the traditional feel of the entire experience. What is so wrong with tradition?!? I don't know about the rest of you, but how many times or places in your life do you get the chance to live the good life and be treated like ......well.....a celebrity. I love change in certain aspects of my life (and changes to things like new ports is very welcome), but some things are special partly because they don't change. Celebrity has elegance and class, at mid-level pricing. Traditional dining is part of what makes the whole experience. I'm not a snob, but once or twice a year I love to be treated like one!

I voted leave it alone.

Its bad enough that X is becoming more and more like RCCL, well, with better food of course.

X is losing its identity slowly, its apparent with the refusal to enforce dress codes, kids in the hot tubs, etc..

I think if this keeps going downhill, X will just become a generic line that blends in with thelikes of the other free for all lines.

X need to start cracking down on its policies, not to start changing them.

Flame me if you will, but I am all for strict enforcement of the policies at hand including the dress codes, childrens policies, poolside policies, and dining policies.

Dave:eek:

X is losing its identity slowly, its apparent with the refusal to enforce dress codes, kids in the hot tubs, etc..

I think if this keeps going downhill, X will just become a generic line that blends in with the likes of the other free for all lines.

If you think it is bad now just wait until the new Solstice class ships come on line. With 3000+ passengers it will no longer resemble the Celebrity of the past and the trend will definitely be towards more and more families on all of their ships.

Celebrity management have already publicly stated that Solstice will have different dining options so all of us must prepare ourselves for less tradition and less formality and plenty of children on Celebrity ships in the near future.

Why on earth would one want to do away with something that makes the line different? In all truth X draws many of its loyal repeaters from things like the tradional dining. Why hash it all up and do away with the little touches that make up part of the X identity - it really isn't senceable is it:

I think Celebrity should keep their dining options exactly as they are. If you don't want to eat in the Main Dining Room one ore more evenings you can go to casual dining upstairs or the Specialty Restaurant or get room service. To me those are enough options.

There are other cruise lines now that offer Freestyle Dining or Anytime Dining and if people prefer that then they should book cruises on those ships.

actually from what I've read and heard, the Solstace class ships hold around 2800 passengers, which is just slightly larger than Millie and about the same capacity as Monarch of the Seas which is a relatively small ship.

As for the dining options, I think they are more tward the KIND of food and ambience that will be offered as opposed to the style of dining.

RCCL holds the maket end of the family demographic. I think it would be detrimental to X to try and join that market.

actually from what I've read and heard, the Solstace class ships hold around 2800 passengers, which is just slightly larger than Millie and about the same capacity as Monarch of the Seas which is a relatively small ship.

Actually the M class holds just over 2000 passengers so the new ones will be at least a third larger in base passengers. What you need to look at is the number of adjoining cabins and those set up specifically for more than 2 passengers. There have been predictions that typical cruises will be going out with in excess of 3500 passengers when accounting for triples and quads.

With that many people it will be impossible to maintain levels of food service previously experienced. Fine dining and quality of food is predicated on being able to prepare meals to order and not mass produce them and have them ready an hour prior to serving.

Just my opinion, but I think the advent of these massive ships is a strong indication that the demographics of Celebrity is definitely going to swing from "older" couples to younger more affluent families but none the less families.

As stated in an earlier post, I think the ideal situation is what Celebrity did on our Baltic Cruise where we had traditional dining on most nights, and open seating during those few nights when we were in a port very late.

On a Caribbean Cruise where the ship is the primary destination, I prefer traditional seating.

On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about what is best for a European Cruise that is very port intensive and early dining is not feasible for most nights. We have that situation for the Mediterannean Cruise we have booked for next summer and consequently chose late seating. However, since we do not really want to eat that late every night, we will probably wind up with our own version of anytime/anywhere dining and rarely see the main dining room for dinner during that cruise.

That is why I think that open seating is better for port intensive European Cruises, while traditional dining is better for cruises where the ship is the primary destination, such a Caribbean ones. With that in mind, I think it would be ideal if Celebrity didn't take an all or nothing approach and tailored its dining program for each cruise based on itinerary.

As stated in an earlier post, I think the ideal situation is what Celebrity did on our Baltic Cruise where we had traditional dining on most nights, and open seating during those few nights when we were in a port very late.

On a Caribbean Cruise where the ship is the primary destination, I prefer traditional seating.

On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about what is best for a European Cruise that is very port intensive and early dining is not feasible for most nights. We have that situation for the Mediterannean Cruise we have booked for next summer and consequently chose late dining. However, since we do not really want to eat that late every night, we will probably wind up with our own version of anytime/anywhere dining and rarely see the main dining room for dinner.

That is why I think that anytime dining is better for port intensive European Cruises, while traditional dining is better for cruises where the ship is the destination, such a Caribbean ones. With that in mind, I think it would be ideal if Celebrity didn't take an all or nothing approach and tailored its dining program based on itinerary.

Lots of good points here. We must remember, though, that for you (and us) the ship may be the destination in the Caribbean, for thousands of other cruisers it is not and therefore your excellent points on other itineraries would not necessarily apply.

I guess I don't understand why open seating dining and traditional dining are mutually exclusive?:confused:

As I am reading this thread most posters who prefer Traditional Dining feel that the introduction of open seating dining would negatively impact their Traditional experience. Can you explain how the introduction of open seating would change your Traditional Dining experience?

Please understand I am not talking about a casual dining style such as NCL which I understand is very different.

Hi Cruise Gypsy, for me, the reason that adding the anytime option would definitely negatively impact the Celebrity cruise experience is in booking the cruise itself. I have had to completely change my plans in the past when trying to book a Princess cruise because when I got to the final reservation phase I found out that all of the traditional seating was waitlisted (and it seems this happens all of the time).

So, for me, knowing just how many prefer traditional dining on Celebrity you would have to be sure and book right away when the itinerary is released or you could be "stuck" with anytime dining. Once onboard I have never found the anytime dining to affect anything with my experience... as long as I have traditional seating!

I have friends that this happened to recently on Princess. While they had a wonderful cruise they commented that dining seemed rushed, service lacked the personal touches like remembering they like decaf after dinner. Having to do introductions each night to new people on top of waiting for a table every night with a blinking coaster also really took away from their experience.

Hi Cruise Gypsy, for me, the reason that adding the anytime option would definitely negatively impact the Celebrity cruise experience is in booking the cruise itself...service lacked the personal touches like remembering they like decaf after dinner. Having to do introductions each night to new people on top of waiting for a table every night with a blinking coaster also really took away from their experience.
That's a pretty good summary of the downside. We book early in order to get our dining choice. Princess only assigns 1/3 of their total DR space to traditional dining on the largest ships, so if you don't get in early you will probably be waitlisted. It depends on the itinerary, too. Then there's the always-controversial subject of automatic tipping - if you have Anytime dining, you have autotips. Anyone who has been around these boards long enough knows that the range of opinion on this subject tends to the extreme.

If you think it is bad now just wait until the new Solstice class ships come on line. With 3000+ passengers it will no longer resemble the Celebrity of the past and the trend will definitely be towards more and more families on all of their ships.

Celebrity management have already publicly stated that Solstice will have different dining options so all of us must prepare ourselves for less tradition and less formality and plenty of children on Celebrity ships in the near future.

I have said this same thing many times and fully agree. Solstice is a total departure for X and the move to very large ships ala RCI is a clear indication of future direction.

I sail mostly HAL these days and at first was concerned with the Anytime Dining option. However, now I choose this option and we enjoy the flexibility.

Traditional cruising is dying a slow death as evidenced in the disregard for dress codes, lack of respect for rules in general and the increased number of ala carte ($$$) options on most lines these days. I am not happy about most of these changes but fully expect things will get worse, not better.

Just my opinion, but I think the advent of these massive ships is a strong indication that the demographics of Celebrity is definitely going to swing from "older" couples to younger more affluent families but none the less families.

Do you have an opinion on this trend one way or another? I think that ANY company would be foolish to focus solely on older client base without trying to court younger customers as well. The younger ones are the older ones of the future! If you don't get them while they are young, in 20 years, you may not have ANY client base.

Why does every cruise line feel they have to become just another cookie cutter line? There should be choices for everyone, so that means you need to have at least one line that offers the old fashioned, tradtional cruise experience with traditional seating and formal nights where the code is enforced. This is the argument I give to anyone who wants lines like Celebrity, and even Crystal for that matter, to adopt the all casual all the time/open seating concepts. Leave well enough alone on Celebrity. If you want choices, in reality you do have those choices---you can have room service, you can eat in the main restaurant, you can dine at the reservation only alternate or you can go up to deck 10 and dine in the casual evening restaurant. But please, don't turn X into another NCL/Princess or any other line that is falling prey to the ones who only want open seating or choices.

It is noticable that those who "love" anytime dining are couples, and the reasons they quote is "do not like to rush back from port"

The number of single widows is increasing , it is difficult if not impossible to do any time dining as a single senior female. As for port days, most of the ships sail from a port by 6p.m, which means back on board by 5.15pm, that is more than enough time to shower and change into fresh clothes for dinner.

I believe anytime dining is favoured by those who do not wish to conform in any way shape or form and who want everything and everyone to suit their wishes whatever the wishes may be at any particular time

There are ships who fit this life style,so why do they insist on booking "traditional" lines and then demand the lines change their product .

If I wished to buy an SUV to boogie over the sand dunes ,that is the vehicle I would buy.

I would not buy a Town Limo and then complain because I cannot boogie over the sand dunes in it.

Do you have an opinion on this trend one way or another? I think that ANY company would be foolish to focus solely on older client base without trying to court younger customers as well. The younger ones are the older ones of the future! If you don't get them while they are young, in 20 years, you may not have ANY client base.

I think differently. The Baby Boomer generation is HUGE, and as a member I can tell you that time and again I am frustrated at so many corporations completely ignoring us in favor of the younger generations. Besides cruise lines, it happens on TV, in movies, in fashion, and also in one of my other very favorite places to vacation - Las Vegas. I am close to losing my desire to go there because it is now so youth (21-35 year old) oriented. The youngest boomers will be around, and vacationing, for a good 30 years or more. I think by the time we 'age out' at the end of those 30+ years, the whole industry will have changed so much the point of losing the younger ones now seems pretty mute. Besides, we rave about Celebrity so much that our children, as they move into their 30's, become anxious to try Celebrity and see what the fuss is all about.:)

I bet cruiselines can't wait to leave the old fashioned all inclusive food product behind and move on to a ship where maybe buffet food is included and for the rest there are extra charge service restaurants available.

I felt on RCL and HAL they are trying to kick you out of the dining room for breakfast and lunch and make you go to the buffet instead . It was very noticable in the attitude of the staff. On the Brilliance of the seas I tried to have breakfast once in the dining room. Very grumpy waiters and they did send me to a small buffet. (What the point of doing this in the dining room!!!).

Also on HAL & RCL they did close the dining room for lunch while in port. (In some ports I love to go back to the ship for a nice lunch in the dining room). And I find these arguments like "we like to to give the staff off as they work very hard" utter rubbish. It's just about cost cutting and making you eat at the buffet. I do hope they haven't implemented this with X yet, Cunard and P&O are great with their lunches in the dining room. SEa AND Port days!

However there also have been some "all inclusive" threads on the internet recently. Most people seem to be rather fed up with this nickle and diming and are looking for something more relaxed product. For instance, on Costa Europeans can buy packages on top of the cruisefare which will include wine with your meal. The all inclusive product is very big on the German travel market. I've done a trip to Egypt with an Austrian tour and it felt great just ordering what you liked without having to sign for it all the time :)

Personally I like traditional seating...I like having the same table every night and the same wait staff. With Anytime Dining, you have to line up, you're never sure who you'll end up sitting with, and you don't really get a chance to develop a close relationship with the staff (I love the fact that with Traditional Dining, after the 2nd night they remember you like Coke with your meals and you always want an extra plate of veggies with your entree).

However, when I was on Princess last night they offered both dining - Traditional and Anytime...best of both worlds I guess...=)

The youngest boomers will be around, and vacationing, for a good 30 years or more. I think by the time we 'age out' at the end of those 30+ years, the whole industry will have changed so much the point of losing the younger ones now seems pretty mute.

Not to be morbid, but while a good portion of this market may well still be around and vacationing in 30 years, another large portion of this market will not be around in 10 years. My mother died at 59. She wasn't even yet into her 60's, which seems to be the largest single group (out of 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's...) that sails Celebrity.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that they compromise the product to appeal to younger cruisers. I do think, however, that they need to aim their marketing at that portion of the younger market that would appreciate what Celebrity has to offer. There are plenty of people in their 40's, 30's, and even 20's who appreciate a more refined experience (just as there are plenty of seniors who don't want to dress up or follow tradition). Try to appeal to them! That way, they continue to replenish their clientele...

I voted leave it alone.

Its bad enough that X is becoming more and more like RCCL, well, with better food of course.

I think if this keeps going downhill, X will just become a generic line that blends in with thelikes of the other free for all lines.

X need to start cracking down on its policies, not to start changing them.

Flame me if you will, but I am all for strict enforcement of the policies at hand including the dress codes, childrens policies, poolside policies, and dining policies.

Flame you?? You should be heralded for sticking to your principles and expecting Celebrity to do the same.

If that's the case then it's simply "Bye, Bye Celebrity". There are 15 other Lines to choose from, each one welcoming our business. It's just a matter of matching up your values with what they each offer.

The younger ones are also the ones that have lower standards, expectations, and codes of ethics. There's a very good reason why the generation after the baby-boomers is called the "me generation" - it's because they feel that the world revolves around them and their wishes, and refuse to conform to any standards or traditions. If a cruiseline diminishes their level of service, tradition and policy just to cater to "the younger ones" then they shouldn't be surprised when the entire middle-age and older generations flock to another line - which, at that point, I'm sure another cruiseline will recognize this and gladly uphold these values in order to gain our business.

It is noticable that those who "love" anytime dining are couples, and the reasons they quote is "do not like to rush back from port"

The number of single widows is increasing , it is difficult if not impossible to do any time dining as a single senior female. As for port days, most of the ships sail from a port by 6p.m, which means back on board by 5.15pm, that is more than enough time to shower and change into fresh clothes for dinner.

I believe anytime dining is favoured by those who do not wish to conform in any way shape or form and who want everything and everyone to suit their wishes whatever the wishes may be at any particular time

There are ships who fit this life style,so why do they insist on booking "traditional" lines and then demand the lines change their product .

If I wished to buy an SUV to boogie over the sand dunes ,that is the vehicle I would buy.

I would not buy a Town Limo and then complain because I cannot boogie over the sand dunes in it.

Perfectly stated!!

Allen and I are relatively new to cruising (compared to many who post on these boards), but we have enjoyed traditional dining, especially our experience on Century last April. We are second seating table of 8 type folks, and the reasons we like that have been posted over and over on this thread.

David

Archived