Should Celebrity Change Their Dining Options ?

Andy

Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?  

543 members have voted

1. 1. Which Celebrity Dining Option Would You Prefer ?

• Get Rid of Traditional Dining, and have Anytime Dining at all times.
    • Split the Dining Room into 2 choices, Anytime Dining and Traditional Dining
    • Have 4 Dining Times instead of 2, while maintaining Traditional Dining
    • Do Nothing - Keep Traditional Dining as it is !

Hi Everyone !

I saw an interesting Press release from Holland America today. What made it interesting, is that this concept is something I have suggested many times in the past. I have also put this suggestion on my Celebrity comment cards. Perhaps the HAL executives read Cruise Critic :).

HAL is introducing a new Dining plan called "As You Wish" Dining. What this entails, is having each level of the Dining Room perform independently. One level of the Dining Room would have traditional Dining (early and late seating), and the other level would be Anytime Dining, either by reservation, or simply dine when you wish.

A few years ago, I would have been the first person begging for this NOT to happen. However, I was on Princess a while ago, and the only open option was Anytime Dining. I was certain I would not like it. Well, you guessed it.... at the end of the Cruise, I came away fairly pleased with it. Would I want this all the time on Celebrity ? No, but some options might be a good idea.

While I will ALWAYS prefer assigned seating, I think it is safe to say that the Cruiselines should realize that Traditional Dining is not for everyone. The point is, it should be about choice.

Another option, would be to divide the Dining Room into 4 seating times, instead of 2, to give more time options, while retaining Traditional Dining.

I know I will probably get flamed by some for this, but I thought it would be a good topic for discussion. I am also posting a poll with some Dining options. Enjoy !

HAL is introducing a new Dining plan called "As You Wish" Dining. What this entails, is having each level of the Dining Room perform independently. One level of the Dining Room would have traditional Dining (early and late seating), and the other level would be Anytime Dining, either by reservation, or simply dine when you wish.

Essentially it'll be just like Princess Anytime Dining. Yes...Celebrity should offer variable dining. We've been on four Celebrity cruises but we've also enjoyed two cruises on Princess with Anytime Dining. And we're on a NCL ship next week with Freestyle dining.

have experienced it several times now on Princess. We also enjoy Traditional dining in that you have the same table mates (hopefully you get on well with them) and the same wait staff the entire cruise.

However, we so ENJOY anytime dining for the times when we still want to go to the dining room but need the time to be more flexible.

I truly prefer the present dining options. I enjoy meeting new people and making new friends and having the same dinner companions each evening makes this work, at least it does when I'm not seated with a whole group of my own family members. There were nine of us on our Panama Canal cruise in March and we were all seated together, and alone for the entire 14 days. I've known these people all or most of my life, and have spent many a holiday with them during the past 52 years.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I like the tradtional dining just the way it is. We always get a table for two, and like being taken care of by the same waiter/assistant/sommelier every night.

Friends are trying to get us to go Hawaiian on NCLA's Pride of Aloha/America, and I just cannot wrap my head around the freestyle dining idea. Too casual, too informal. Do not like the idea at all, and probably will decline this trip. And while I like the idea of flying to Hawaii and then spending 7/10 days around the islands, Hawaii itself isn't enough to entice me away from Celebrity's traditional style.

I just had to vote on this. I am a traditionalist. I started cruising with the 2 "main" and "late" seating and I will continue to prefer that. I have tried the "open seating" on both NCL and Oceania, and, even though it may have it's plusses, I will stay, when possible, with traditional dining option cruise lines.

I am also beginning to miss the real doors leading to promenade deck instead of the glass sliding doors with electric eyes. And I miss so many more of the "old" things when it comes to sailing on the high seas.

We love Anytime Dining on Princess, but I don't want it on Celebrity. Celebrity's dining service is what sets the cruise line apart in our minds. When we want Anytime, we go Princess. When we want a part, we go Royal Caribbean, and when we want superb service and excellent food, we go Celebrity.

WE like the traditional. If we want to go with anytime we will move to another cruise line. We book with Celebrity for some of the "differences" and traditional dining is one of them.

We like 'Personal Choice Dining'. We have sailed on cruises with personal choice dining and on cruises that had traditional seating only. We much prefer the cruises where both dining styles are offered. We found that we liked the flexibility that personal choice dining offered.

We tend to eat early on sea days and later on in port days. Both of us are divers and we usually dive in every port. We often return to ship weary but happy and don't want to eat until we're good and ready. Yes, we know the buffet is open in the evenings however there are often some items available in the main dining room which aren't available in the buffet.

We do strongly believe in live and let live consequently we think the path to happiness is for a given ship to offer both dining styles. Those that want fixed seating can still do that. Those of us that like variety can choose to eat when we want as long as the main dining room is open.

In the meantime evetyone have a great day out there.

I think that open seating dining will eventually find it's way on Celebrity Cruises because most of the premium cruise lines have some version of open seating in their dining rooms. Seabourn, Windjammer, Windstar, Oceania, Silversea, Regent, Azamara, and Cunard all have open seating in their dining rooms.

As for Princess, while I know many people will point to the long wait lists for Traditional Dining on Princess to prove that Anytime dining is being forced on diners. But the reality is that many Princess cruisers are selecting a Traditional seating time going a night or two and then jumping over to Anytime Dining for the rest of cruise because it more convenient especially during busy port days. While others are creating there own Traditional Dining experience with some flexibility by making reservations in Anytime Dining Room at the times that work with the port stops.

Celebrity, like Holland America can't ignore the trends.:)

I've been on ships with three of the four options Andy mentioned.

While Princess offers both anytime and traditional, the time we were in a "split" room (half was anytime; half traditional -- they used to change it depending upon what people had signed up for), the crew who had to cover both disliked it. There is a difference between those who enjoy the traditional pace of dining and those who chose anytime. When there is a back up for anytime, they tend to want to move the tables. Plus we don't want to be handed a buzzer like we are at Applebees.

Our most recent cruise was on HAL where they offer the four "traditional" dining times. I liked this because you still had the advantages of traditional but four options of times to dine. I think it probably also spreads out the meals in the kitchen a bit when everyone isn't ordering at the same time.

Given a choice, we much prefer a traditional set dining time. We like the relaxed pace of an enjoyable dinner with the same people and wait staff each evening. We rush around so much in our lives at home, the last thing I want to do on a ship is rush to dinner and rush out of dinner.

One of the reasons we stick with Celebrity and RCI is for the traditional dining. There are plenty of other options out there for folks who want a different atmosphere and choice.

Happy Cruising!

Host Anne,

Judging from the voting, thus far, it seems like most of us agree with you. For me, it's more of a 'people' thing. On Azamara, we enjoyed open seating, but didn't make the kind of friends on that trip that we have on other cruises. Having a lovely dinner with a group of new friends and sharing experiences each evening over wine and good food beats wondering where we'll be seated and if we get the type of table we want at the time that we want every evening.

While we will certainly sail on Azamara and Oceania again, we still prefer X and a more traditional dining arrangement

I personally love traditional dining for many reasons which include having the same table, waitstaff and tablemates. I think you get better service this way, and have the time to get to know your fellow tablemates, which is a unique part of cruising that I love.

Prior to cruising we used to do all inclusives. I hated waiting in line for dinner every night, and never getting to know your waitstaff or others at the resort.

I love not having to think when I am on a cruise... and going with anytime dining adds an element of decision making that I do not want! (like when to go to dinner, and having to introduce myself all over again every night).

To me, the traditional dining experience aboard a cruise is a big part of its charm.

I liked what Celebrity did during our Baltic Cruise on Constellation last year. We had traditional seating every night with the exception of the nights we stayed in a port overnight, or didn't leave until 9:00 PM. On those nights they had open seating for dinner.

It depends on the cruise. With a port-intensive itinerary, I want the flexibility to dine when and where I wish (and feel like). On a TA or sea -day cruise, dining is a highlight and the sociability of an assigned table is welcome and (sometimes) fun. But overall, I don't want the regimentation of assigned dining. And for me, "regimentation" is the issue, not the table.

Host Andy raised the question Should celebrity change? Despite what our personal preferences may be, and I note that Hosts Anne and Joe have already weighed in, I predict that X will change to offer Alternative Dining in some form because they will feel they can't afford to be left out when mainstreamers like HAL are changing. The cruise business, particularly in the large middle of cruise lines, is so competitive none will risk being left behind. This is similar to the trend away from formal which is also going on right now, whether we like it or not. Too bad, but you cant fight city hall!:)

Host Andy raised the question Should celebrity change? Despite what our personal preferences may be, and I note that Hosts Anne and Joe have already weighed in, I predict that X will change to offer Alternative Dining in some form because they will feel they can't afford to be left out when mainstreamers like HAL are changing. The cruise business, particularly in the large middle of cruise lines, is so competitive none will risk being left behind. This is similar to the trend away from formal which is also going on right now, whether we like it or not. Too bad, but you cant fight city hall!:)

Hi LeoandHugh !

Good post. That was pretty much my point. We very much prefer Traditional assigned seating on Celebrity. I truly hope it never goes away. No matter how much we do not like change, I am sure Celebrity is well aware of what the other Cruiselines are doing, by giving their passengers more choices. The BIG question is, does Celebrity stand pat, and avoid becoming like the others. Or, do they bite the bullet and make changes, by offering more Dining options. I would think that Celebrity is debating this question quite a bit of late.

I am not surprised at all, that nearly 60% of us hope that Celebrity doesnt change anything. I still wonder if things will change, especially on Solstice. Frankly, I'd be shocked if Solstice stays with Traditional Dining as their only option. Solstice will probably begin a new era of Celebrity Dining.

We like traditional dining. For us the cruise itself (ship and amenities) is the vacation. If we wanted personal choice, we would cruise Princess. If we wanted free style, we would cruise NCL. There are enough cruiselines that each should find a line to their liking.

I guess I don't understand why open seating dining and traditional dining are mutually exclusive?:confused:

As I am reading this thread most posters who prefer Traditional Dining feel that the introduction of open seating dining would negatively impact their Traditional experience. Can you explain how the introduction of open seating would change your Traditional Dining experience?

Please understand I am not talking about a casual dining style such as NCL which I understand is very different.

We agree that a benefit of traditional dining not having to make yet another decision is attractive. We adore same waiter, same table, etc. Having said that, the times when we've been too tired or not hungry at the right time, we've enjoyed room service or the casual dining option at the buffet. So, along with the specialty restaurants on M class and Century, X does offer options if the set times in the main dining rooms don't fit in with your wishes every eventing.

As another who has always enjoyed traditional dining for all the reasons listed and has always taken the late seating, the only impact I could foresee would be that if 1 dining room is traditional and 1 is flexible/anytime that one might be forced into doing the flexible option if traditional dining seats were not available at the preferred time. I would be extremely disappointed not to have my preferred option available. That being said, I always enjoy the open seatings at breakfast and lunch and have had the opportunity to meet many fellow cruisers during these times.

I did mostly the traditional dining on Cunard, P&O and HAL and anytime dining on Royal Caribbean during an Atlantis Charter. I liked both.

The thing I have against anytime dining is that you tend to end up with different table mates every evening. And therefor end up in the same lousy conversations like "Where are you from, what do you do etc etc etc" I have allways enjoyed developing a relation with your table mates and waiters, something which makes dinner so pleasant.

Last year on the QE2 I dined in the Queens Grill where you had the same table for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I really loved it! (depite having two horrible grumpy waiters). On other QE2 cruises I also liked the free seating for breakfast and lunch in the Mauretania Restaurant, and I mean really free seating where you can pick your own table and not being grouped together at big tables.

However having booked a Century cruise in October and being forced to take first seating at 6pm (something I dread, even at home I usually eat after 8pm), I can understand why many people like flexible dining. Let's hope X will get their act together in October ;)

Archived