Jackets in the Normandie?

matt'smom

Getting ready to pack for Alaska and need to know do my dh and ds need jackets in the Normandie on a non formal night?

Thanks for the help!

Although many may were jackets here even on casual nights' date=' the dress code matches the rest of the ship. So if it is a casual night, casual dress is OK in Normandie. From X's web site:

[b']Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining[/b]

At one time the specialty restuarants' dress code was formal on formal nights and informal (jacket required) on all other nights - even when the rest of the ship was a casual night (no jacket required).

On our last cruise the published dress code for the specialty restuarant on the Connie was no different than the rest of the ship - but we still saw a lot of the men (can't say if it was all or not) wearing jackets on a casual night there.

We've dined many times in the Speciality Restaurants...and casual clothing IMHO just isn't appropriate. It's an elegant venue, and even if it's a casual night onboard...informal dress is best. That does mean a jacket for the men.

Karyn

When we were in Infinity this past June, in Alaska, we dined in the SS United States on two evenings that were both casual. Both times, couples came into the dining room and the men were not wearing jackets. Before they were seated, the maitre'd went into a closet and brought both men jackets to wear into the dining room. So, even though it was casual night, at least when we were on board two months ago, the maitre'd made the men wear sport coats.

According to Celebrity web site the Speciality Dining venue does now say the dress code is the same as ship's dress code for the day. So, you can go casual on ship's casual nights. A jacket required on informal. A dark suit or tux on formal.

OK, I can live with that, even though the casual atmosphere may take away something from the experience.

With this being the published dress code, I really don't understand why people were required to put on jackets, unless, it was a formal or informal night on board ship.

CaliforniaDreamin, we only book the alternate restaurant on casual nights, so I'm absolutely certain that the men were given the jackets on casual nights. I don't know why the maitre'd did this, but that's exactly what happened. The same thing happened on our 10 day Constellation cruise---we booked the alternate restaurants on the nights when we were in port late, so they were casual nights and again, a man who came into the restaurant was given a jacket, which he immediately took off once they were seated.

This past February, we dined at Olympic on an informal night. Two men were there dressed casually - read - neither jacket nor tie - and stayed that way. IMHO, the ambiance in these restaurants is such that dressier attire is appropriate, and my husband would wear jacket and tie even on a casual night.

CaliforniaDreamin, we only book the alternate restaurant on casual nights, so I'm absolutely certain that the men were given the jackets on casual nights. I don't know why the maitre'd did this, but that's exactly what happened. The same thing happened on our 10 day Constellation cruise---we booked the alternate restaurants on the nights when we were in port late, so they were casual nights and again, a man who came into the restaurant was given a jacket, which he immediately took off once they were seated.

Darcie,

I think my post seemed to question your experience. I did not mean it to be that way. Actually, I tried to revise it but for some reason could not.

Could the new dress code have been started after your last cruise. Prior to the change they would have been required to wear jackets on all nights.

Hi, I was on Millennium back in December and the dress code

had already changed at that time.

4 of us ate together at the Specialty restaurant and the one male

wore a jacket. The 3 gals all dressed up:)

I remember seeing 2 different couples in casual attire (No I am not

the fashion police) but they were on both sides of us so I couldn't help

but notice it.

Neither guy had a jacket on and one of the wives was in a capri

outfit. To be honest, it looked out of place.:eek:

I remember speaking with one of the waiters and he said they

were a bit sad about the change....definitely takes away from the

ambiance....

Sad might not be the right word...but you get my drift.

Maybe they were more confused:confused: ....it is such a lovely

restaurant with a wonderful atmosphere. It felt nice to dress up!

Archived