Freestyle catching on? - Holland America Line Introduces As You Wish Dining

cliffd64

Here is a press release from Carnival corp concering it's Holland America Line:

Click Here For Press Release

Looks like Carnival is adopting certain facets of freestyle into yet another of it's brands...

Cliff, they have been experimenting with this on a couple of their ships since January. Many of the old timers thought it would bomb out, but obviously it hasn't. Now we have HAL and Princess with a choice type and NCL with totally Freestyle. Of course Princess and HAl haven't adjusted the dress code yet, but HAL, did, last winter start allowing jeans on casual nights (first and last sailing nights) I think we can expect much of the same in the years to come.

Nita

I wonder why they havent filtered this down to the Carnival brand yet, as that line would seem like the perfect place for such a scheme... but it sure looks like NCL was on to something :)

We were on Holland quite a few years ago when they first started having alternate buffet dining. The crew was really upset - couldn't get anyone to help you at all, had to find silverware, water, etc. ourselves and the crew just kind of stood around. I think sometimes it's getting the crew to agree it's a good idea as much as it is manager or the passengers. I know I'm spoiled now - so much so that when we do go on other lines, we usually choose to eat at the buffets (like on Royal Caribbean) so we don't have to pack our dress up stuff or be locked into a dining time.

I had to laugh (actually I was shocked) at my dear husband yesterday. We're going on a HAL cruise in 2008, and I emailed to tell him that the new dining would be on our ship by then, thinking he would jump at the chance to change to it. Instead, completely out of character for him, he said he'd like to keep our traditional seating "so we can meet some new friends."

We've had some doozies of tablemates on RCI, but he's willing to chance it again. :D

Here is a press release from Carnival corp concering it's [sic] Holland America Line:

Click Here For Press Release

Looks like Carnival is adopting certain facets of freestyle into yet another of it's [sic] brands...

Good news for consumers. More flexible dining choices on other lines means more itinerary choices for those of us who won't do traditional dining.

It also means NCL will need to step up to the plate and improve its shoreside customer service because they're no longer the only flexible dining game in town: Princess, Oceania (out of the price range of many NCL cruisers) and now HAL are on board.

There was a thread started on the RCCL board that Freedom of the Seas (I think that’s the ship) will be trying “anytime dinning” along with “traditional dinning”. Seems like all the cruise lines are starting to understand passengers want different choices for what they want on their vacation.;)

John

There was a thread started on the RCCL board that Freedom of the Seas (I think that’s the ship) will be trying “anytime dinning” along with “traditional dinning”. Seems like all the cruise lines are starting to understand passengers want different choices for what they want on their vacation.;)

John

That is some fun reading. The exact same type of thread over at HAL when it was first brought up. Will the results be the same???

The cruise lines may read CC to see what we have to say but they know we are a small percentage of cruisers. They go with what people tell them from many sources.

That is some fun reading. The exact same type of thread over at HAL when it was first brought up. Will the results be the same???

The cruise lines may read CC to see what we have to say but they know we are a small percentage of cruisers. They go with what people tell them from many sources.

Whew, they are indeed freaking out over there.

The posters who have had problems obtaining their desired traditional dining after these changes (one person said he/she kept getting put into Anytime Dining on Princess despite his/her repeated requests for traditional) have a legitimate gripe.

Otherwise, it's just a lot of whining that attempts to prevent others from having options you aren't being forced to choose yourself.

My favorite post went something like this: "Can you imagine the noise and chaos in that beautiful dining room!?" Well, no, I've never noticed any particular noise or confusion in an NCL dining room. Of course, NCL doesn't have those ridiculous baked Alaska parades and dancing waiters, which may account for the serenity.

Haven't tried Freestyle yet, but will definately try for next year. Just got off a RCCL cruise to Bermuda and our tablemates were very nice, but after the first night, I got tired of attempting to make small talk with people I have nothing in common with. If my wife and I want someone to dine with, we'll ask our family or friends to go with us.

Otherwise, it's just a lot of whining that attempts to prevent others from having options you aren't being forced to choose yourself.

Bingo!

My favorite post went something like this: "Can you imagine the noise and chaos in that beautiful dining room!?" Well, no, I've never noticed any particular noise or confusion in an NCL dining room. Of course, NCL doesn't have those ridiculous baked Alaska parades and dancing waiters, which may account for the serenity.

LOL....I love it:D

The credit given NCL for their "innovation" is a little exaggerated. None of the other cruise lines have adopted a true freestyle program-choosing instead to make the more sensible decision to offer traditional dining and alternative dining venues. Ironically, Freestyling limits the choices of those expecting and/or desiring a traditional dining experience.

I though HAL would hold out a little longer before it started pandering to the mass-market.

I also feel sorry for the HAL crew, which is famous for its upscale service.

"Freestyling" is really challenging for waiters and kitchens alike, and in the end just produces diluted service, OK food, and overworked crew.

I'm only surprised this hasn't happened on more cruise lines before now. I've seen this trend at the club where I work. Not so many years ago, a jacket and tie were required to be seated for dinner. Then some younger members joined and an informal dining room was added. The informal room was so popular the decision was made to only have formal dining on one evening each week. Then the one day disappeared. People don't want to make dinner an "event" anymore.

I love how the press release suggests that this is an innovative new program.

Funny but I thought NCL innovated it several years ago :)

Not only did NCL start it, Princess (another Carnival company) also has basically the same thing that HAL is implementing. Gotta love it when people take credit for others ideas.

That just leaves RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity, of the main lines, that do not offer their passengers a choice in dining. (RCCL may be trying it though)

With the other lines begining to adopt a variation of the Freestyle Dining and Freestyle tipping, the other parts of Freestyle (staying in cabin the last morning and dress codes) will most likely follow soon.

NCL really had a great idea with Freestyle....but now watch the other lines copy it..... and their cruisers actually believe they came up with it!

As long as they keep the traditional as an option. While I have cruised on NCL multiple times, I despise the freestyle dining.

Can you tell us why you don't like Freestyle?

The credit given NCL for their "innovation" is a little exaggerated. None of the other cruise lines have adopted a true freestyle program-choosing instead to make the more sensible decision to offer traditional dining and alternative dining venues. Ironically, Freestyling limits the choices of those expecting and/or desiring a traditional dining experience.

I though HAL would hold out a little longer before it started pandering to the mass-market.

I also feel sorry for the HAL crew, which is famous for its upscale service.

"Freestyling" is really challenging for waiters and kitchens alike, and in the end just produces diluted service, OK food, and overworked crew.

Freestyling does not limit those expecting a "traditional" dining experience.

You may still request the same table and time for the week.

Funny that it just doesn't happen often on NCL.

I for one believe that traditional dining detracts from my cruise experience. I don't like having to cut some port visits short to come back and get showered and dressed up for dinner.

Press release says nothing about whether a table for 2 can always be obtained like on NCL and Princess. Anytime timing does not necessarily equal availabilty of tables for two unless that's an expressed part of the policy.

Responding to previous poster--

But why this move towards informality in everything! We are already the most casual culture in the world. How much more casual can we get?

A friend of mine wanted to talk a foreign exchange student to a nice restaurant for her birthday and was suprised that after she was told it was going to be a dressy restaurtant showed up in jeans. She said, "Its America. You can wear jeans everywhere."

I'm 23 and while I can't imagine a time when people 'dressed' for dinner every night, I also can't imagine a society with out any sense of formality or occasion. I personally dislike Freestyling for the reasons stated above and because of what it symbolizes and how it has changed cruising. Things change, tastes changes-but where are we going? How much more casual can we get?

Sorry for the rant. I hope I'm not the only one here who feels this way.

I personally dislike Freestyling for the reasons stated above and because of what it symbolizes and how it has changed cruising.

I understand what you are saying but Freestyle did not change society. Freestyle came about by adapting to the change in society. Changes in cruising came from changes in society.

Archived