Hors d'oeuvres & afternoon tea in room?

chrismch

In past threads, posters have complained about the hors d'oeuvres served in the room as not being very appetising. What are the choices or options for something else?

Also, I see our room offers afternoon tea as well. What type of choices do we get? And what are the times these are usually served? Do we have a choice in when they are served? Thanks for any input and suggestions!

We've never been crazy about the hors d'oeuvres. We've never requested something else, but this cruise I think we'll ask for a few shrimp cocktails on some of the days. Some days we get the cheese plate. As far as the afternoon tea goes, the butler brings it about 4PM everyday. It's usually just as you get back from port. He has coffee & tea, finger sandwiches and some pastries. It's just about the time when you need that little afternoon pick-me-up. :)

I am in the minority but I actually like the canapes. I enjoy them with a martini while I am getting ready for dinner.

As for the tea things, if you have preferences you can let your butler know, as he has a little cart with various cookies, tarts, and finger sandwiches on it.

For both the evening canapes and the afternoon tea snacks, if you aren't in your room your butler will leave a plate with a few different items on it, covered with plastic wrap on your cocktail table.

On the first day, our butler has always asked what we preferred for afternoon tea and the canapes. We like the little sandwiches rather than the sweet stuff, so he brings that. And, we asked for shrimp cocktail or chips/guac/ salsa instead of the canapes and that's what he always brought.

We also like the standard issue canapes in CC - they're not exotic, just a bit of bread with some cream cheese, shrimp, ham, that sort of thing. Does everyone feel they aren't fancy enough? I actually appreciate that they do anything at all.

For those of you not in Concierge class or suite and are looking at this thread and wondering what you are missing, you can order a fruit plate and/or a cheese plate from room service to take that edge off while dressing for dinner.

The above poster is absolutely correct, Celebrity's cheese/fruit plate is VERY good. We tell our butler that we like that & he brings that (enhanced a little) along with shrimp and on occasion chocolate dipped strawberries--I LOVE those!!!:D

another tip for those of us who don't do CC or higher, in addition to the cheese and crackers, don't forget the sushi bar is open. One of us always goes down and gets a mixed plate for pre-dinner cocktails. Not as nice as having the butler bring it but still better than what I get at home!

Clay

I agree about room service. You'll also get your snacks delivered when you want them. Since I wasn't about to run back to my cabin for them, many times I'd return to my stateroom to find a plate of slightly wilted hors d'eouvres looking really sad. Don't know how long they were sitting there. Not that finding food is ever an issue on a cruise.

Archived