Qestions about Cunard and gay passengers.

bryanjaync

My partner and I (very late 40s) are thinking of trying QM2. Have enjoyed HAL and X in the past. As a gay couple, we have experienced no problems from either crew or fellow passengers on HAL and X and in fact have found the cruises to be accepting. Does anyone have any experiences, either from a straight passenger perspective or gay passenger, about how the atomsphere is on Cunard for gay passengers. (And yes, I will post the the Gay and Lesbian board too).

no problem, my friend and I, we are two staight ladies went transatlantic last year on the QM2 with our four friends who are two male gay couples, we had a fab time and thank god for us otherwise the evenings in the theatre would have been very low key and boring for the artists taking part!!!! go, you will have a great time, there were other gay couples on board apart from our party

The QM2 seems to always have some Friends of Dorothy meetings. And of course RSVP recently had an all-gay charter from NYC to Southhampten. Pied Piper has gay groups on Cunard regularly. I would not expect you to have any problems on Cunard.

There are a fair number of gay regular posters on these boards; many of them are repeat passengers, and I doubt they would had they experienced any problems from fellow passengers or crew. Having said that, you probably get the occasional ignorant person wherever you go.

Friends of Dorothy meetings every day during our 12 day cruise on QM2.

My partner and I (very late 40s) are thinking of trying QM2.

I'm 40, my partner is 50 ish(!). We have never had a problem onboard Cunard (although our experience is QE2 not QM2). I don't know what Cunard's cruises would be like if you were looking for a gay time but as long as you're willing to be a Cunard passenger then your sexuality won't even be looked at.:)

Well put Malcolm. It isn't a question of who is out to shock whom. If the two of you are out to enjoy a great cruise in a classy setting with good food and great amenities then you should not encounter any problems. Cunard has a very large gay following (was an FOD meeting everyday on our prior QM2 cruise) but more importantly most Cunard passengers interact fairly well as the line tends to attract intelligent people who prefer to live life but not be all flash. Go and enjoy a great ship.

As Norfok Brit said - if you encounter a "problem" passenger it will be an exception and certainly not the norm.

David

I don't think that you'll have any problems on QM2. There were a group of guys who met in the Commodore (Comodorothy) Club every night that were extremely friendly. Only had 2 FOD gatherings, each with a dozen or so guys/gals. QM2 is rather reserved. Don't expect wet T-shirt contests or salsa Tea Dances, just a good time with excellent service and friendly people.

In general I find Cunard to be the most gay-friendly cruise line sailing today. The reason is not so much that the crew and staff treat gay persons better on Cunard, but because more gay persons sail on Cunard than any other line (in my experience). I have never been mistreated on any cruise line for being gay, but on occasion I have felt like the only gay couple on the ship. It didn't really matter, I always have a great time. With Cunard, you are almost assured that you will not be alone. Part of the reason is because Pied Piper has so many groups on Cunard. It's also because gay men and lesbians find the entire formal experience of Cunard, and sailing on a "Queen" to be very attractive for whatever reason.

Ernie

Let me throw in my three cents (inflation, you know!) No one will blink an eye! (Although I suppose you could get a wink or two! <G>) FOD meetings seemed always well-attended. There were several couples at our last Cruise Critic meet. In fact, our friend, who has a house on fire island met a couple she knew from the island on board! (unexpectedly- what a pleasant surprise!)

We have been cruising on Cunard for 13 years (Long stretch of other lines in between) Never once (6 Cunard) have I seen any poor behavior towards gays. Or even any overt acknowledgment that they were anything but the "norm" in society. It just is not an issue. No more so than whether you are a blond or a brunette. It is like life should be. People are simply that. People.

Come on. You will love the majesty, the grace yes, even the fun!

Karie,

who loves her Queens. Both kinds!

Having cruised now for 3 times on Cunard I can it's very gay friendly. Basicly it's not an issue, you just blend in.

On the 2002 December Transatlantic there were a lot of us onboard and the bar in the Yacht Club was very gay every evening. So no FOD was required (can't even remember if there were FOD meetings organized)

I can remember one guy being very flirtyt with me on the dancefloor, which was no issue at all. (Mind you we kept it very decent)

On the 2005 QE2 Norway cruise we were the only gays in the village. They advertised one FOD during the cruise where nobody showed up. (Mind you, it was a pretty old geriatric crowd on that cruise)

Next year we have booked QE2's last Westbound Transatlantic and return on the QM2 in tandem with the QE2. I can't imagine on these crossings we we'll be the only gays in the village. ;)

Next year we have booked QE2's last Westbound Transatlantic and return on the QM2 in tandem with the QE2. I can't imagine on these crossings we we'll be the only gays in the village. ;)

Look at the roll calls - they're well over 50% gay already!:)

My partner of 43 years and I have done four QM2 sailings and have had absolutely no problems with anyone except on our Cunard arranged limo from JFK to dock. We were with a very "family values" Texas couple. We only talked about the weather during the short ride and managed not to see them again for the rest of the trip....which is easy to do given the size of the ship and the number of very wonderful interesting passengers.

Sorry for the two countdowns. I don't know how to get rid of the incorrect one. QV on Jan. 13 for around the world (woo hoo!) and we can't wait. :D Oh! Safety Harbor is in Florida in the Greater Tampa Bay area. That is in case you turned to someone and said, "Honey, where do you suppose Safety Harbor is?" Well now you can get a point on that one when you take your next IQ test.

I too am in my very late 40's.....have sailed QE2 3 x in 20 years & never had any problems,,,,actaully both single & coupled....and each time people were most gracious to all, well travelled & lots of fun.

If you want don time its there...but I always met & had been invited to join other FOD's onboard...even one very handsome officer.....oh to be at sea!!!!!

Enjoy

IMHO Cunard probably has the largest gay following of any cruise line. Or at least a more openly gay following.

Of course there are no guarantees that you won't run into somebody unpleasant but I would say that the overall atmosphere should be about as welcoming as it's going to get without being on a gay charter.

We sailed on a crossing a few years ago, and there was one "incident." A passenger sang a diddy in the passenger talent show that was very homophobic (in that over-zealous religous way that one encounters among the severely in-bred;) ) While we were appalled, we found out quickly that our opinion was shared with the majority of passengers, and many crew. In essence, it proved that the line was, perhaps, less homophobic, in that they attract a worldly, sophisticated crowd who roundly denounced this behavior- some passengers actually hissed.

But, as we all know, there's no test upon entering into a contract with Cunard, or any other line, that will prevent this happening on occasion. Just rest assured that it is rare, and should it happen, there's likely to be support.

Andrew, who wants to travel with Karie some day!

Andrew, who wants to travel with Karie some day!

Wow, First Myles, and now Andrew. This room is getting quite crowded! <<G>

I hope we all get along and no one snores! <G>

Karie,

who thinks we should charter the last (not the Dubai trip) real trip of the QE2 just for the Cruise Critic gang! And, for our support over the years, it should be free!

(Now where were those reality drugs I had?)

P.S. Thanks! (Aw Shucks!):o

Or perhaps you should join us on the "last real" crossing?:D Don't like to wish away time, but so glad that I'll sail her once more....

(and if we need room in our stateroom for the gang, some of the walk-in closets in Princess and Queen's Grill staterooms seem about the same size as an inside single, so we can always squeeze a few extra in there, if need be! Why, I hear those draperies hanging in the door of the closet are PLENTY warm as a blanket!)

Andrew

who thinks we should charter the last (not the Dubai trip) real trip of the QE2 just for the Cruise Critic gang! And, for our support over the years, it should be free!

Karie - I'm with you about it being free:D Have you looked at the roll calls for the last transatlantics? There are so many CC people on it that it looks like private charter!:)

We came across one delightful specimen of humanity last year. Really nasty piece of work, if you weren't Ozzie and straight then you were to be denounced. Pretty much the whole ship, passengers and crew told him where to get off with his attitude. Awful man.:mad: Also had some down home Chrisitians out of FLL once. God but they were hideous. Hated all Gay people. Funniest part was that Pied Piper had a group booked on that was about 75% of the total passenger list!:D

Lexx

Very much looking forward to the Cruisecritic SOU-NYC on the QE2:D

Or perhaps you should join us on the "last real" crossing?:D Don't like to wish away time, but so glad that I'll sail her once more....

(and if we need room in our stateroom for the gang, some of the walk-in closets in Princess and Queen's Grill staterooms seem about the same size as an inside single, so we can always squeeze a few extra in there, if need be! Why, I hear those draperies hanging in the door of the closet are PLENTY warm as a blanket!)

Andrew

Well, I suppose I could bring my hammock! Isn't that the way they slept a couple of centuries ago? You had a little closet in which to hang your hammock, and about a square foot of shelf or your belongings?

Karie - I'm with you about it being free:D Have you looked at the roll calls for the last transatlantics? There are so many CC people on it that it looks like private charter!:)

Okay, numbers please. How many of us vs. capacity?

We came across one delightful specimen of humanity last year. Really nasty piece of work, if you weren't Ozzie and straight then you were to be denounced. Pretty much the whole ship, passengers and crew told him where to get off with his attitude. Awful man.:mad: Also had some down home Chrisitians out of FLL once. God but they were hideous. Hated all Gay people. Funniest part was that Pied Piper had a group booked on that was about 75% of the total passenger list!:D

Lexx

Very much looking forward to the Cruisecritic SOU-NYC on the QE2:D

Ahh, there is a God...with a sense of humor even! Outnumbered huh? The work of the devil, no doubt! <LOL>

For the life of me I still can't understand why there are those who feel that same sex marriage "destroys" heterosexual marriage. Seems like we heteros are doing a pretty good job of that all on our own without any help!

Karie,

who is divorced (after 8 years of marraige) but has been with Marc (unmarried) for around 18. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

(Yeah, so I'm going to hell. I'll have plenty of company, I am certain!)

We sailed on a crossing a few years ago, and there was one "incident." A passenger sang a diddy in the passenger talent show that was very homophobic (in that over-zealous religous way that one encounters among the severely in-bred;) ) While we were appalled, we found out quickly that our opinion was shared with the majority of passengers, and many crew. In essence, it proved that the line was, perhaps, less homophobic, in that they attract a worldly, sophisticated crowd who roundly denounced this behavior- some passengers actually hissed.

Yikes! Where was the cruise director? He should have advised the passenger that this song might be offensive to some passengers and that another choice would be better. I suppose he couldn't flat-out refuse to let the passenger sing this, but I hope he at least tried.

Unless a passenger I know is in the talent show, I generally skip it.

Kathy

Yikes! Where was the cruise director? He should have advised the passenger that this song might be offensive to some passengers and that another choice would be better. I suppose he couldn't flat-out refuse to let the passenger sing this, but I hope he at least tried.

Unless a passenger I know is in the talent show, I generally skip it.

Kathy

Or maybe, knowing the passenger mix, he let him sing it on purpose, so he would know, publicly, just how much of a boor he was! Or give him a taste of what it's like to be odd man out!

Karie,

who thinks the guy got what he deserved and hope he learned a lesson from it (though probably not!)