Shopping online

Tiger Shark

Casual: I usually shop at Talbots online. I wear a non-store-stocked size, so I have to shop online or by phone. They always seem to have Bermuda shorts and lightweight pants and Tees, which is my cruise uniform.

Formal: I have plenty in my closet already, so I would never shop for something like that online.

Shoes: You didn't ask, but I know what will fit style and size-wize, so if I saw a great bargain I would purchase online from Zappos or shoebuy.com.

--Judy --> a weird size up and down:D

I'll buy online if I it is a brand I'm familiar with and I know it will fit, or if I know I can easily return it to a local store, or if the online site offers free return shipping.

As far as I'm concerned, a bargain $20 formal dress, plus S/H is a total waste of money if you cannot return it, or if you have to spend more for S/H to return it. Then, you have to spend even more to buy something that does work for you.

I don't care to spend $10-20 just to try something on.

I only shop online if I can return to a real, local store. So I'll shop online for Saks Fifth Ave, Bloomingdales, Banana Republic.

I bought DH pair of casual pants from Eddie Bauer and they didn't fit and found out that they closed all their NYC stores. Now they're sitting in the "to do" pile for when I get a chance to pack them up and bring to the post office. Never again! Bye bye Eddie Bauer online for me!

For me, it's too much of a hassle to buy and then have to return by mail. However, in a store like Sak's, if I'm familiar with the brand's fit, I can often find some nice things that I may have overlooked in the store. Since Sak's is often in my travel path, it's easy for returns.

Ebay at times and Wal Mart for casual. As far as formal, I have 1 bridesmaid dress that Im wearing. It doesnt look like a bridesmaid dress it looks formal like a prom gown and the other formal dress is a simple little black dress.

It all depends on the occassion where I shop. I did stumble onto a dress at Ross a few months ago for an affair my husbands lodge was hosting, unfortunately it never happened (cancelled at the last minute) so the dress still sits in my closet. I may take it with me on the cruise in May, not sure yet. Casual clothes is either Ross or JCPenney. Many people here don't care for Ross, but fortunately I have never had a bad moment there. I also like Dress Barn for formal and casual.

Online you should try Smart Bargains, which is Loehman's online outlet. I have seen Vera Wang on there for a little over $100 (unfortunately, not in a good color for me, or I would have snapped it up!). I also have seen some cute stuff at great prices on Overstock. For jewelry I have done ebay, and for formals, but the formals have been a little off and I am looking to get a Pappel evening gown from there slightly altered because it doesn't sit on me right. But I got a really good deal on it, and it's gorgeous. I like Amazon or shoes.com for shoes - Zappos has really gone up in their prices for no reason, imo. I don't give them any of my business now, though I was loyal when they first came online. You would be surprised at the great deals you can get on designer shoes on Amazon. I recommend anyone checking it out.

I have gotten quite a few dresses from TJ Maxx. I just really don't like our local Ross', and I don't think I've found any of my cruise dresses at Marshalls. I did, however, find a great dress at Macy's at their massive formalwear clearance. Yay! I just wish I had a Dillards outlet closer to me. I got one cocktail dress at Dress Barn. I went in there on a whim, and actually found something unusual in a nice color on clearance.

Stein Mart would be good, too. I like their selection of jewelry.

I like to shop, in case you haven't noticed. LOL

I rely on LL Bean, Eddie Bauer and Land's End for every day clothing. Talbot's and Coldwater work well for dressier attire. I love Chico's. Luckily I have a Chico's very close and a Coldwater Creek within half an hour, so I can return things.

As for Coldwater Creek. I have a lot of their things in my closett, but have to confess that for the last year, I have found little in the catalog that is appealing. I don't know why. I don't know if they have changed or if I have changed.

I've given up online shopping in most cases, as I'm finicky about fit and finishing. I will sometimes buy some things from Talbot's online because their sizing and quality is pretty consistent. Even then I probably return about half of what I order. Luckily I work about 4 blocks from a Talbot's outlet store so returns are painless.

Ordering online is so "hit and miss" and the S&H fees will eat up any savings if you need to return something. I will do it if there is an item that I've used before or if it's not available in the stores in my area. Of course, I feel better about it when a company does not charge a shipping fee! I order a lot of makeup products from an online company that does ship free, and saving the tax as well, but I don't order anything I might have to return.

Ordering online is so "hit and miss" and the S&H fees will eat up any savings if you need to return something.

Exactly. If the item is really a bargain, and I really love it, I might, just might, order it. (I ordered a dress from Target.com that blew me away - it fits like a glove! :) ) But I am soooo picky about fit, and things have to look "just so" for me. Heck I have a hard enough time in the brick & mortar stores - online clothing shopping is usually just not time well spent for me. :cool:

I've found Coldwater Creek to run large, which is better than the reverse, obviously! LOL But I can't wear what I ordered from them and their store is far away. I still haven't returned it.

I haven't ordered any clothes yet from Overstock, but be careful trying to return to them. They charge you a restocking fee.

Sierra Trading Post is one of my favorite on-line places to shop--great customer service! I do tons of shopping online because I live in the boonies and hate malls. Except outlet malls, so when I'm travelling and happen to be near one, I'll shop there. Otherwise, I prefer to order a bunch of stuff online and return stuff that doesn't fit than to run around to a bunch of different stores in a mall or shopping center trying stuff on. Personal preference and all:p

Hi!

For casual tops, I love Land's End supima cotton tee shirts or cashmere in winter. I never have to send anything back. I love Jam's and will order new or from eBay. Mephisto by mail for casual shoes.

Dressier would be Citron, Bloomingdale's or Nordstrom. If I HAVE to go to a mall for fitted shoes, I'd go to Nordstrom and I usually buy pants there so I can get the right fit.

Then there are all of the great "adventure" catalogs for more active trips to tropical places......

Oh, lots of excuses to shop!

Have fun!

murphysmum;)

I like Coldwater Creek and Talbots because if I don't like item or it doesn't it I can return it to the shop (in the mall) If you buy from Speigel (which I sometimes like) and it doesn't look right on you have to pay for return postage too

I have good luck with shoemall.com and shipping is free.

I just received bras from Barenecessity and am waiting for a pkg from Coldwater

Archived