I'm so Conflicted......... Why Bother??

sail7seas

I have spent way too much time reading and posting here this morning.

In between expressing my opinion, once again, I have been doing laundry and ironing to prepare our clothes to pack to return for two glorious weeks aboard our much loved Maasdam.

I'm sorting my husband's trousers and nice shirts, jackets (but skipping the ties). I'm taking out skirts and pants suits and my dressy tops and formal wear.

Why? Why am I bothering to go to all this trouble?

Why am I not putting two pair of dockers and a bunch of polo shirts out to pack for DH and.......well, actually the same for me?

Why do I take care that our wardrobe will be neat and presentable and appropriate to a fine dining room? That I show respect to the Officers and crew of the ship by dressing with a degree of decorum suitable to the venue. Doesn't that beautiful dining room call for appropriate garb?

Apparently that day has passed. Apparently, I am ridiculous in my efforts and may well be among a small handful wearing what previously was considered appropriate clothing.

So...... I shall carefully look at what 'those in the know' call the current appropriate cruise wear of the day. This way, I'll know for our next cruise what it is I should be wearing because it seems I no longer know what I am expected to do.

I always thought I had learned enough about making my way through the everydays of life to inantely know.

Not the case. Whatever sophistication I have acquired is failing me.

Do I need denim capri and khaki or will plain black twill be okay?

Why Sail, why would you want to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe when you have a perfectly good one that you are preparing to pack?:D

But if you want to add a little vairety stick with the plain black twill capris;) they go with more.

Hi Sail,

My boundaries between informal and casual were always blurred and I'm not going to change my packing just because HAL did away with informal nights. As for daytime, the only time i wore jeans was in Greenland and Iceland. I'm not taking them this trip. I can be my slobby self at home and I'm going to take comfortable knits for touring in Europe and for our 8 days at sea.

Why obsess over this? You have high standards and beautiful clothes, please don't dumb down your wardrobe. I'd bet you wouldn't feel comfortable doing it either.

Have another great sail on your Maasdam.

GN

Sail: There's quite enough dumbing down going on in our society now without you joining in the stampede toward the ordinary by giving up your personal dress code.

Don't give in! Hold dear to what you know is right for you!

Happy cruising on the Maasdam. We've sailed on her only once, but had a grand time.

I think it's worth the bother. If everyone slips into the lowest-common-denominator mode then soon all the elegance of cruising will be gone.

Some cruise lines promote anything but elegance. They're all about "fun" and "getting out there." And that's fine for them and the tens of thousands who sail them each year. But Holland America has long been known (so far, at least) as a cruise line of elegance and genteel ambiance. That's what I like when I cruise. That's the way I'll cruise in the future ... whatever line may meet my desires.

So I say do what you've always done, and I'll promise to do the same. If "they" want to make a statement with their beachwear, then so be it. But I will do what I can to contribute to the lovely ambiance of the dam ships on which I sail.

S7S, you're just glutting for punishment, aren't you! ;) Standing by for the beatings to commence! I've got your six

Sigh, John......

I just never learn, do I? :D

Truly. I'm so tired of the battle that I really don't care anymore. I feel foolish at this point bothering to lug all these suitcases with all these lovely clothes. I'm feeling like a dinouseur crashing the party.

I'm the idiot spending all this time sorting, laundering, ironing, packing...... The smart ones spend about 20 minutes tossing their shorts, tee's, flip flops, a pair or two of dockers and/or jeans and a couple of polos. Voila......packed and ready.

The idiot doing it in this house spends hours.

Who cares what I wear? Who cares what they wear ;)

Truly. I'm so tired of the battle that I really don't care anymore. I feel foolish at this point bothering to lug all these suitcases with all these lovely clothes. I'm feeling like a dinouseur crashing the party.

I'm the idiot spending all this time sorting, laundering, ironing, packing...... The smart ones spend about 20 minutes tossing their shorts, tee's, flip flops, a pair or two of dockers and/or jeans and a couple of polos. Voila......packed and ready.

S7S--

I think you and I are alike in that we refuse to lower our standards simply because those around us are doing so.

This is among the reasons I'm seriously considering Queen Victoria's Grille Class for 2009.

I have spent way too much time reading and posting here this morning.

In between expressing my opinion, once again, I have been doing laundry and ironing to prepare our clothes to pack to return for two glorious weeks aboard our much loved Maasdam.

I'm sorting my husband's trousers and nice shirts, jackets (but skipping the ties). I'm taking out skirts and pants suits and my dressy tops and formal wear.

Why? Why am I bothering to go to all this trouble?

Why am I not putting two pair of dockers and a bunch of polo shirts out to pack for DH and.......well, actually the same for me?

Why do I take care that our wardrobe will be neat and presentable and appropriate to a fine dining room? That I show respect to the Officers and crew of the ship by dressing with a degree of decorum suitable to the venue. Doesn't that beautiful dining room call for appropriate garb?

Apparently that day has passed. Apparently, I am ridiculous in my efforts and may well be among a small handful wearing what previously was considered appropriate clothing.

So...... I shall carefully look at what 'those in the know' call the current appropriate cruise wear of the day. This way, I'll know for our next cruise what it is I should be wearing because it seems I no longer know what I am expected to do.

I always thought I had learned enough about making my way through the everydays of life to inantely know.

Not the case. Whatever sophistication I have acquired is failing me.

Do I need denim capri and khaki or will plain black twill be okay?

Sail just because some people are dressing in one manner doesnt mean you and DH have to.

Well, those of us who care to dress up just be the minority then! I say keep dressing up!!!! HAL may lower the standard (and yes, it's lowering standards!), but the passengers need not.

No one I know goes to dinner in Levi's or shorts - unless it's at Denny's or something along those lines.

Now, there are some very nice men's designer jeans that look super sharp, I must admit - and worn with a nice jacket and loafers, entirely appropriate for casual night. :)

I know what you're going through Sail - I do it too - a small fortune is spent on dry cleaning alone and the packing process is no easy feat. The day I decide to chuck it all, I guess I'll be heading for Carnival.

Until then, I'll continue to dress the way I feel is appropriate - the way I've done for years.

Hey Sail-

The beauty of home porting it is that you can take 15 suitcases if you care to!!:D

You dress the way you enjoy, and I know you will look fantastic!! Let the rest be jealous of your wonderful wardrobe!;) :D

P.S. Not doubt Brian would have more suitcases if he were homeporting it!!:p :D

I am guessing that many of todays cruisers, on the mainstream lines, do not own couture gowns and bespoke suits. A pair of dockers, paired with a polo, may be dressed up for some people. I still pack my finest clothing, and enjoy wearing it on our cruises. Why? Because it makes the evening feel special. I don't do it to impress other people, only to please myself.

What's this about heading for Carnival???? We have been on the Carnival Glory, & we always dressed very nicely, & so have a lot of other cruisers. Yes, there are some that did not. We never wore jeans on a cruise, not even on a Carnival ship or Disney, or RCCL. So Sail.....you keep packing the way you want to, my motto is "Live & Let Live".....& that goes for all the pax who want to wear jeans.....as the other thread says....Times are a changing. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Lynne:)

P.S. I've been on the boards all morning & some of the afternoon....also spending too much time on here:)

My, My, Sail, it's not like you to be down in the dumps like this! You really do need a cruise! The reason you are doing all the pressing, choosing, sorting and packing is for yourself and your DH. When you know you look good, you feel good too. Who cares what the rest of the world wears? Who cares who looks at you and what they think?

Actually, I will bet there are quite a few ladies who will be watching you and wishing they had packed differently. They will be wishing their DH was willing to dress up as yours does. Maybe their next cruise will find them with a different wardrobe and someone watching them and wishing too. The trend down was in small increments. The trend back up will occur the same way. Watch and see.

BTW, I think you are one of those people who could wear rags and still look great. You carry yourself with poise and confidence. There is kindness and good will written all over your face. No wardrobe in the world will alter that.

Everyone.......Thanks for the supportive messages. Of course, DH and I dress for each other and ourselves and not for anyone else. I'm just feeling like it would be so much easier to just 'go with the flow'. Take a duffel bag, jam it full with 'stuff' and be done with it. Sure beats the hours I spend packing for both of us.. :)

I know you are right that because others have a different standard does not mean I have to.......

Because we are boarding 30 minutes from home, this cruise I will do as usual.

Next cruise we have to fly to meet the ship.

That one may be our first with a different sort of wardrobe in our duffel bag!!

Maybe that would be lowering my standard. Or maybe it's just making my life easier. :)

My, My, Sail, it's not like you to be down in the dumps like this! You really do need a cruise! The reason you are doing all the pressing, choosing, sorting and packing is for yourself and your DH. When you know you look good, you feel good too. Who cares what the rest of the world wears? Who cares who looks at you and what they think?

Actually, I will bet there are quite a few ladies who will be watching you and wishing they had packed differently. They will be wishing their DH was willing to dress up as yours does. Maybe their next cruise will find them with a different wardrobe and someone watching them and wishing too. The trend down was in small increments. The trend back up will occur the same way. Watch and see.

BTW, I think you are one of those people who could wear rags and still look great. You carry yourself with poise and confidence. There is kindness and good will written all over your face. No wardrobe in the world will alter that.

Oh my goodness........ you brought tears to my eyes. What a post.

How do I thank you for this?

(I think maybe the whole business I went through with my review of our last Maasdam cruise may be at the root of all this. It was such an unpleasant experience. We had such a wonderful cruise and I was torn to shreds for saying so.)

the2ofus..... Thank you. What a gracious, lovely lady you are. When do we sail again together??? Soon, I hope.

Don't get so stressed out over your clothes. We'll be on the Maasdam in two weeks. I'm taking black pants and two dressy tops for the formal nights. My husband is taking gray slacks and a black sport coat and two different dress shirts and ties. For the "smart casual" nights, I'll be in black pants and tops or sweater sets I would wear out to dinner at home. My husband will be in khakis and golf shirts or sport shirts. For daytime, I'll be in capris. I don't take jeans on trips because they are heavy and hot. This type of packing has worked for us on other cruises and European trips. Nothing beats black pants on trips!

Have a great time and put back some of those clothes.

Pink

The whole idea of a vacation is to get away from work. Why would someone want to go on vacation and then dress like they are at work? A vacation is a time to relax and enjoy the company of others without worrying if you will make the sail, win the contract, win the case ...

There will be plenty of chances to dress up again once you return to the real world.

:confused: I thought the new official dress code was resort casual or country club casual with one or 2 formal nights? Other than in Alaska where jeans may be more popular than on other cruises, it doesn't sound on these boards like HAL cruisers are packing jeans, t's and flip-flops and calling those dinner clothes. We haven't seen anything like what you are describing on our HAL cruises, at least to the extent you are saying. :confused:

Ah, Sail, you know you wouldn't be comfortable "dressing down" on a cruise. Lucky you to not have to deal with airline regulations.

When we sail from SD, we never give a thought to how much we're bringing. An Air Canada rep looked at our mound of luggage as we checked in,and said, "You're either going on a crusie or are high-maintenance!" I replied "Yes, both, but we look good!"

We always dress nicely for dinner--only twice the past two weeks did DH go to dinner without a jacket. I LOVE evening bags and carry one each evening. As I go on the elevator one evening on way to dining room, a lady said to me, "Tonight is casual!" I smiled and told her, "For me, this is casual.":)

I'm sure you feel as many of us do--dinner on a cruise ship is a lovely experience--dress for it! Let the slobs do their thing.

Why do you go to all the trouble to select clothes, pack so these clothes look great? Because you care and it's important to you. Continue on with the "fuss" to prepare for the Maasdam, you'll look gorgeous(and so will DH.)

Archived